PDA

View Full Version : free bola use and builds that go around it

CyberThread
2014-02-25, 12:37 PM
IN ghost walk bards can get a free feat of exotic weapon prof for bolas. Is this advisable for any sort of builds or prc that would require such a feat?

Yorrin
2014-02-25, 01:16 PM
This just gave my the urge to create a custom magic item of infinite bolas, using similar rules to the gauntlet of endless daggers, or whatever it's called. Ranged trip attempts every round ftw.

But other than some sort of Master Thrower build I can't think of anything that would go particularly well with Bolas.

CyberThread
2014-02-25, 01:32 PM
Custom items. Make bolas out of thunder stones with stunning rock feat build halflings?

Darrin
2014-02-25, 01:54 PM
IN ghost walk bards can get a free feat of exotic weapon prof for bolas. Is this advisable for any sort of builds or prc that would require such a feat?

It's not for bolas, but a "bola flail". I'm looking at it now... and I'm a little confused at everything it can do:

1) Make a ranged touch attack against an opponent.
2) If successful, your opponent must make a Str or Dex check or be tripped.
3) Then your opponent (tripped or not) must make a grapple check against your attack roll or he's considered grappled.

It's not clear what #2 is opposed by, presumably it's opposed by a Str check like any other trip attempt.

The implications of #3 are exceedingly vague, but it looks like the designer (SKR?) wanted an "entangle" effect but somehow thought the grapple rules would be simpler... ugh. You can get out of the grapple with a full-round action, but... not a grapple check? This means throwing a bola flail gives you a pretty good chance to force your opponent to completely waste a full-round action. There's no mention of using anything else in the grapple rules to move, escape, etc. This looks like it would be a fantastic weapon for sneak attackers: ranged touch attack, grapple check to make your opponent lose his Dex bonus, then proceed with stabby-stabbiness.

Also: Dragonborn Bards, particularly humans/azurin/strongheart halflings. You can ditch the EWP instead of your racial bonus feat. Or you can swap EWP for Dragon Tail/Dragon Wings.

Yorrin
2014-02-25, 02:01 PM
Or you can swap EWP for Dragon Tail/Dragon Wings.

Not to derail the thread, but I can't seem to find the text that allows this feat for tail/wings swap. Do you happen to have a page/paragraph reference?

Darrin
2014-02-25, 02:09 PM
Not to derail the thread, but I can't seem to find the text that allows this feat for tail/wings swap. Do you happen to have a page/paragraph reference?

Races of the Dragon, last paragraph on page 10:

"Ordinarily, only a 1st-level character can select certain feats requiring the dragonblood subtype (see Chapter 6). However, upon becoming a dragonborn, you can elect to replace one (and only one) of your existing feats with one of these feats."

For humans/azurin/strongheart halflings, the relevant text from the same page:

"If your original race granted you a nonspecific bonus feat (such as the one gained by a human at 1st level), any feat can be lost, so long as it is not a prerequisite for another feat you have." (emphasis added)

This "non-specific bonus feat" trick only works if you follow somewhat-strict Rules As Written (RAW), as it's probably not the designer's intent that you could swap away your bonus feats granted as class features instead of your racial bonus feat.

Yorrin
2014-02-25, 02:14 PM
Races of the Dragon, last paragraph on page 10:

"Ordinarily, only a 1st-level character can select certain feats requiring the dragonblood subtype (see Chapter 6). However, upon becoming a dragonborn, you can elect to replace one (and only one) of your existing feats with one of these feats."

I've been playing dragonborn for years and somehow always missed this 0.o
Thanks!

Alright, done with thread derail. Back on topic this seems like a good weapon to have on a cohort, or somehow get an animal companion (ape?) that can use one. Allows you to trip/gapple and stabbity stab stab in the same turn. And Bard cohorts are awesome anyway as buff platforms and such.

Darrin
2014-02-25, 03:10 PM
Allows you to trip/gapple and stabbity stab stab in the same turn. And Bard cohorts are awesome anyway as buff platforms and such.

I'm thinking more like this should be MUST-GET for rogues: after Craven, take EWP: bola flail ASAP. Or since it's a ranged touch attack, just skip the EWP, maybe take Quickdraw so you can pull out a bola flail whenever you need one. Grapple vs. attack roll isn't exactly ideal for rogues, but against smaller opponents... dayyum!

CyberThread
2014-02-25, 03:32 PM
Well as the idea is that you get the feat free through bard. Can you generate feedback on thatfactor please ?