PDA

View Full Version : My friend wants to be a fungi.

Vizzerdrix
2014-02-25, 02:04 PM
[3.x/3.p]

My group is getting some fresh blood. One of the new guys wants to be a mushroom person so I'm trying to help find something that will fit. So far I've found the myconid (MM2) but it is terrible. I'm hoping someone here can think of something I've overlooked, because I'm almost at the end of my rope on this one and need help.

We're going to be restarting our campaign Thursday so I have a few days to find something. I'm not sure yet what level we'll be starting at, but all books are open along with Dungeon/ Dragon mags. I'll have to backwards engineer anything Pathfinder, so I'd like to keep that as a last resort but it isn't off the table.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-25, 02:07 PM
I think the plant type is what he is going for. I say refluff the treant racial class and let him take only the first level if desired.

Urpriest
2014-02-25, 02:30 PM
Tell him that he should try out playing something that exists in the setting before adding to the setting. In general, one should try out a game with it's default fluff before trying to modify it.

12owlbears
2014-02-25, 02:34 PM
insert fun-guy joke here

Yorrin
2014-02-25, 02:36 PM
Point him at Killoren (Races of the Wild) and just tell him instead of hair he has a mushroom-head. He also gets free immortality, which should be cool enough to persuade him to go with it.

Haldir
2014-02-25, 02:54 PM
Tell him that he should try out playing something that exists in the setting before adding to the setting. In general, one should try out a game with it's default fluff before trying to modify it.

I disagree with this. The appeal of this particular game is that you can do whatever you desire, and telling a person to play something that's already in the game means you might as well be playing CoD. Homebrewing and creating gets the player immersed in the activity more than just picking out random options that are thrown at them.

Darrin
2014-02-25, 03:05 PM
My group is getting some fresh blood. One of the new guys wants to be a mushroom person so I'm trying to help find something that will fit. So far I've found the myconid (MM2) but it is terrible. I'm hoping someone here can think of something I've overlooked, because I'm almost at the end of my rope on this one and need help.

Myconids need some work. Awakened Violet Fungus can probably be kitbashed into something playable.

Volodi in Unapproachable East are plant people, but the LA +2 is a bit unpalatable.

And then there's the symbiote template...

The Forgotten Template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259833)

While that is obviously not balanced, you can do something similar with a Myconid Junior Worker + any 1 HD humanoid race. This creates an aberration with LA +1, good mental stats (Int -2, Wis +2, Cha +2), Alertness as a bonus feat, plant immunities, and all those wacky spore effects.

zlefin
2014-02-25, 03:46 PM
You could use the pathfinder race creation rules to just make a fungus race.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-02-25, 03:56 PM
If he's interested in a Sorcerer you could offer him the Plant Bloodline feat... or just refluff it so he gets the extra spells as spell-like abilities a certain number of days at the appropriate levels instead. Just a thought.

Honest Tiefling
2014-02-25, 03:58 PM
FR has a plant race in Unapproachable East, but I am not really sure it is anymore viable then a Myconid after its been re-fluffed. Especially since I think it was druid focused but has a LA of +1.