PDA

View Full Version : uncanny blow+strong two handed attack help

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 02:12 PM
Hi, I have a question would uncanny blow from exotic weapon master and the feat strong two handed attack stack with each other, or would one supersede the other?

Diarmuid
2014-02-25, 03:42 PM
Where is "strong two handed attack" from and what does it do?

Or were you just being cute and calling Power Attack what it actually is?

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 04:09 PM
It's in plot and poison and allows you to add 2x str to damage, same with uncanny blow, but strong two handed attq k is a feat, and uncanny blow is a class ability, so would they stack?

Diarmuid
2014-02-25, 04:18 PM
Without seeing the exact wording, I will loosely say yes.

Generally, bonuses of the same type do not stack, and bonuses of unnamed types do not stack if they come from the same source and have the same name.

Again, the exact wording of one or both may make them mutually exclusive. Which version of the Weapon Master class are you referring to?

Zweisteine
2014-02-25, 04:23 PM
Just remember that multipliers are always calculated from the base value, so two x2 multipliers become a x3 multiplier.

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 04:55 PM
Without seeing the exact wording, I will loosely say yes.

Generally, bonuses of the same type do not stack, and bonuses of unnamed types do not stack if they come from the same source and have the same name.

Again, the exact wording of one or both may make them mutually exclusive. Which version of the Weapon Master class are you referring to?

Exotic weapon master from complete warrior

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 04:58 PM
Just remember that multipliers are always calculated from the base value, so two x2 multipliers become a x3 multiplier.

I'm not talking about crit multipliers, I'm talking about the additional damage oyu get from your str mod, you know if you have a str of 20, so a +5 mod, if you would add +7 to dam, or +10 when wielding a weapon with two hands

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 05:14 PM
Uncanny Blow: when wielding an exotic one handed when in two hands, you deal extra damage equal to 2x str mod instead of 1 1/2 x str mod

Strong Two-handed Attack: when wielding a weapon two handed, add double your str mod to damage dealt by that weapon

These are both the abilities word for word, strong is a feat, and uncanny blow is a class ability from exotic weapon master

Erik Vale
2014-02-25, 05:23 PM
I would say you do 4* str damage based on wording [Normal multiplier increases, and the other adds twice your strength as well as usual, I think]

Urpriest
2014-02-25, 06:03 PM
I would say you do 4* str damage based on wording [Normal multiplier increases, and the other adds twice your strength as well as usual, I think]

Basically, if you think that Strong Two-Handed Attack lets you deal a total of 3.5 times your Str bonus as damage, then this is true. Otherwise, it would be 3*str for the "doubling of a doubling is a tripling" rule.

Either way, Strong Two-Handed Attack sounds like a very silly feat, and it's unclear why it exists.

Flickerdart
2014-02-25, 06:11 PM
Is that the word-for-word language for Strong Two-handed Attack? Because, uh, that doesn't actually override the default +1.5 STR you get.

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 07:34 PM
Is that the word-for-word language for Strong Two-handed Attack? Because, uh, that doesn't actually override the default +1.5 STR you get.

Yeah, the only thing I left out was

normal: when wielding a weapon with two hands your damage is only 1 1/2x str mod, so yes it would give me 2x str mod to damage

Urpriest
2014-02-25, 07:37 PM
Yeah, the only thing I left out was

normal: when wielding a weapon with two hands your damage is only 1 1/2x str mod, so yes it would give me 2x str mod to damage

The normal line doesn't change the situation, actually. It's consistent with both readings.

I'd say that you should write to the 3rd party company that wrote the book and tell them they screwed up their wording, but I don't see that going well.

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 08:12 PM
The normal line doesn't change the situation, actually. It's consistent with both readings.

I'd say that you should write to the 3rd party company that wrote the book and tell them they screwed up their wording, but I don't see that going well.

When you wield a two handed weapon, you normally add 1 1/2x str mod, this states that you add 2x str mod to damage, so I don't know what the confusion is about.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-25, 08:29 PM
They don't stack, because neither one provides a bonus. They both change your Str bonus to damage to the same value, so they're completely redundant. Whichever one you apply first switches it from x1.5 to x2, and the second one switches it from x2 to x2. Neither of those adds anything, they both just switch it from whatever value it's already at, to x2.

Considering Plot and Poison (http://www.amazon.com/Plot-Poison-Guidebook-Dungeons-Roleplaying/dp/0972359923/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393377410&sr=8-1&keywords=plot+and+poison) is a 3rd party d20 supplement for D&D 3.0 edition published by Green Ronin, and Exotic Weapon Master is from an official WotC D&D 3.5 edition book, the real question would be whether or not your character can even take the feat Strong Two-Handed Attack in the first place. Most gaming groups don't allow 3rd party d20 material without careful scrutiny, and this shouldn't be an exception to that. As for what the official ruling would be on an unofficial feat, that decision will be entirely up to your DM.

kbpb90
2014-02-25, 08:33 PM
They don't stack, because neither one provides a bonus. They both change your Str bonus to damage to the same value, so they're completely redundant. Whichever one you apply first switches it from x1.5 to x2, and the second one switches it from x2 to x2. Neither of those adds anything, they both just switch it from whatever value it's already at, to x2.

Considering Plot and Poison (http://www.amazon.com/Plot-Poison-Guidebook-Dungeons-Roleplaying/dp/0972359923/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393377410&sr=8-1&keywords=plot+and+poison) is a 3rd party d20 supplement for D&D 3.0 edition published by Green Ronin, and Exotic Weapon Master is from an official WotC D&D 3.5 edition book, the real question would be whether or not your character can even take the feat Strong Two-Handed Attack in the first place. Most gaming groups don't allow 3rd party d20 material without careful scrutiny, and this shouldn't be an exception to that. As for what the official ruling would be on an unofficial feat, that decision will be entirely up to your DM.

My group allows 3.0 material but we play in a 3.5 campaign setting, and thank you, that's all I wanted to know, I wasn't exactly sure what the ruling was cause once stated it adds extra damage, so I wasn't sure if that's on top of the already 2xstr mod damage