PDA

View Full Version : Amanuensis - The "Superior" MoF Version.

Miss Disaster
2014-02-25, 02:33 PM
The Amanuensis spell first appearred in 3rd Edition in the 3.0 Magic of Faerun book - as a 3rd level spell that also copied actual Wizard spells from one source to another. It was reprinted in the 3.5 Spell Compendium - but as a 0th level cantrip that does everything the 3.0 version does ... except for transcribing magic spells from one source to another.

Since I have permission to use the 3.0 Amanuensis as a 3rd level spell, I now have a question for all of you.

How long does it take for 3.0 Amanuensis to transcribe a spell from, say, a scroll or a captured spellbook ... into my wizard's spell book? I heard something to the effect of 1 minute per level of the spell (it normally takes a full day to transcribe a spell this way). But I don't see that time-based rule written anywhere. (??)

Thanks for your help!

Fax Celestis
2014-02-25, 02:35 PM
It doesn't specify. Considering it seems to take the same cost as transcribing it by hand, I would presume it would take the same time.

Miss Disaster
2014-02-25, 02:53 PM
It doesn't specify. Considering it seems to take the same cost as transcribing it by hand, I would presume it would take the same time.Hm. There does seem to be an assumption factor here at work. And with 3.0 Amanuensis duration of 10 minutes/level ... there should be some sort of mention of time-based transcribing rate.

Also to note, there's no errata updates on WotC Errata PDF for MoF.

Endarire
2014-02-25, 03:30 PM
Talk to your GM. Going based on the assumptions that "this is 3.0, this is magic (which is better than mundane), and this is Faerun," consider it taking about as much time as transcribing mundane writing.

Miss Disaster
2014-02-26, 12:48 PM
Okay, my DM and I talked and we came to what looks like ... a doable framework for 3.0 Amanuensis to do its transcribing rate for magic spells (say, from a scroll to a spellbook).

A given Wiz/Sorc spell takes 10 minutes of transcribing time per Spell Level. The caster cannot transcribe a spell she is currently incapable of casting.

So here's some examples:

1. 5 Level Wizard casts the 3rd Level MoF-Version of Amanuensis (CL=5). She has 50 minutes of transcription time. She can transcribe a total of 5 Spell Levels with a maximum Spell Level of 3. For example, a Legion of Sentinels (3rd), a Charm Person (1st) and a Nerveskitter (1st). Say from a large scroll over to her spellbook.

2. 12th Level Wizard casts the 3rd Level MoF-Version of Amanuensis (CL=14 due to +2 additional CL boosters). She has 140 minutes of transcribing time. She can transcribe a total of 14 Spell Levels with a maximum Spell Level of 6. For example, a Disintegrate (6), a Summon Monster V (5), a Minor Image (2) and a Net of Shadows (1). Say from a captured wizard's spellbook over to her spellbook.

I personally don't think this ruling is overpowered, but I'm open to insight and input from all of you to help balance-out this rules idea. Keep in mind, this is a weird utility spell that isn't like to get prepared every day. It's probably more for casting during off-camera & resting-at-headquarters time. And remember, it's a 3rd level spell. So you deserve something significant in return for casting it.

Again though ... if you see a better way to work this spell, please holler back!

Miss Disaster
2014-02-27, 06:57 PM
There's 2 other options we all thought of:

1. A given Wiz/Sorc spell takes *20* minutes of transcribing time per Spell Level (double the time listed in my prior post). The caster cannot transcribe a spell she is currently incapable of casting. With the spell's duration being 10 minutes / CL, this has a more limited performance from my prior post ... and reduces the amount of spells transcribed per casting of the spell.

2. A given casting casting of 3.0 Amanuensis can transcribe *3* spells of 1st-to-3rd Level Spells, *2* spells of 4th-to-6th Level Spells, or *1* spell of 7th-to-9th Level Spells. Again, the caster cannot transcribe a spell she is currently incapable of casting. This option is the easiest from a math perspective. Finally, if you chose this option, transcribing one or more spells does not allow the spell to be used for non-spell transcribing work.

Zirconia
2014-02-27, 07:23 PM
I would suggest your second option, as you say the math is easier. If anything, I would consider that a somewhat underpowered spell, I've almost never been in a campaign where time spent scribing spells was even kept track of, and it doesn't sound like it saves you any money either. I think you could double or triple it.

Frankly if I were DM I'd probably allow you to copy spells in hours instead of days anyway, just to avoid slowing down the rest of the group arbitrarily if you manage to get a spellbook off a foe. If you get stuck spending 2 weeks in town doing that, everyone else has to find something boring to do or else you sit out a session or two while they slay a local dragon or roleplay with the local lords or something.

It is the classic problem with Monopoly vs. Trivial Pursuit, a game is badly designed if some people get to play in it more than others (like Monopoly).

Miss Disaster
2014-02-27, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your input, Zirconia.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings

If you view that link under Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook section, you'll see that the process of scribing a new spell (regardless of the spell's level) takes 24 hours per spell.

I realize a good portion of DMs just handwave off that scribing time and assume it all gets done during during bivouac. But for DMs that do enforce it (all my DMs over the years have), this scribing time can sometimes be a problem for groups who have chronological/scheduling challenges to deal with. And aren't happy about having to sit around on their hands while the group's wizard spends 2 days hurriedly scribing a few spells that are crucial to their group's next objective. That's why a spell like 3.0 Amanuensis does have value to some groups. And yes, the spell level of 3.0 Amanuensis may be a little off. But in 3.0/3.5, it seems to be all we have for accelerating the scribing process in a reasonable and somewhat realistic way.