PDA

View Full Version : Managing a Large/Huge Earth Elemental

Neverborn
2014-02-25, 02:50 PM
Hey guys, i have started to play a Druid in a new campaign (3.5), and i have decided to take the Elemental Companion acf from Complete Mage.

This means i sacrifice the regular Animal Companion (and Wild Empathy), and gain an Elemental Companion. We start at L4, at which point he is medium size. However, at L10 he will become large, and at level 16 huge. (You can elect to have him remain the same size and get SOME of the stat increases he would get by changing into a larger size version but not all).

I would like to have him increase in size when i can, but i'm a bit worried that at large and especially huge he will be a bit hard to take with me indoors...

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how i can temporarily reduce him in size to get him through tight spaces... The books i have available are PHB1&2, the Complete books and Spell Compendium (and the DMG).

I was thinking about the share spells ability, let's say i drink a potion of reduce person (or someone casts it on me), could i have it affect the companion as well, even though he would not normally be a valid target?

That's about the only thing i have come up with so far, does anyone have any ideas?

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-25, 03:03 PM
Well, if you can talk your DM into allowing the Arms and Equipment Guide there is a collar that will set his size to small without changing his stats. It works great for getting him through doors.

Bare in mind, he is going to have earth glide at huge. Unless the structure is built out of wood or metal, he can just glide through the walls if the room is too small.

Share spell only works with spells you cast yourself, not spells from potions or other people.

You can cast reduce person on your elemental though. You get to ignore it's type. The restrictions are harsh though. It cannot more more than 5ft from you.

Neverborn
2014-02-25, 04:42 PM
Well, i have the Companion Spellbond feat, which makes it 30 Feet... But my DM felt earth Glide was a bit too strong, especially at lower levels so he ruled it only works on unworked (natural) stone/dirt/etc...

How could i as a Druid cast reduce Person, and why would i get to ignore it's type?

Maybe i could talk my DM into letting me get a custom magic item to reduce him a few times a day or something...

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-25, 04:53 PM
You don't get earth glide at lower levels. Only the huge elemental has that feature.

Malroth
2014-02-25, 04:58 PM
have it take the martial study feat to gain mountain hammer that should solve the too small door problem nicely

Neverborn
2014-02-26, 04:01 AM
@Fouredged Sword: The srd disagrees, even a small one gets it.
@Malroth: That would get him through the door, but what if the entire dungeon is too small for him? Also aren't the feats he will get laid out in the different sizes in the mm/srd already?

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-26, 07:25 AM
I totally misread the stat block, my bad.

Well remind your DM that it can't see while underground, and is literally throwing itself into the dark, hoping it finds it's way to a surface so it can peek it's head out and get it's bearings. It should flatly refuse to go through anything it isn't sure there is another surface by the end of it's movement. If not, it should go half way and turn around and come back. You don't risk getting lost somewhere in the mantle.

Nihilarian
2014-02-26, 01:47 PM
The Elemental Companion still gets Share Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#shareSpells). Cast Aspect of the Wolf (Spell Compendium) on it to turn it into a medium sized wolf.

Neverborn
2014-02-27, 12:41 AM
That is a REALLY good suggestion! Good duration as well...
Especially at higher levels where it's size will become an issue!
Thanks!