PDA

View Full Version : Baxter's "What will Happen to Miko" thread [Spoiler]

Baxter Konrad
2007-01-31, 10:17 AM
Here is my prediction, based entirely on how I would play Miko.

The first thing Miko will do is lash out. Forget any "Oh no, I have failed the gods!" or any such girliness... Miko's tough, uncompromising and utterly psychotic; she'll go into a fit of rage. Odds are, Greenhilt & Co (especially Belkar) will be prime candidates.

Follow this comes exile, the nature of which largely revolves around Miko attempting to storm out of the city in a huff before the Sapphire Guard throw her out. This is largely because Miko seems to have a very "teenage" mindset; better to blame everyone else than look inside for the fault.

Miko has believed all along she was an agent of good. This ideal will now be seriously challenged. However, she will still cling to a core principle; she was right, she was acting in the interests of Good, and she has been cheated. This means she will NOT become a Blackguard; she killed Shojo because she was convinced he was not serving the ideals of Good, so the last thing she'll do is go and side with pure Evil!

We can expect a lot of soul-searching from Miko. There is only so long you can storm around being angry before you realise that, for all your screaming and shouting, you're still a Fallen Paladin. She may attempt to return to the Monestary, but either they won't accept her, or she will be to torn up about losing her role as Paladin that regaining that position consumes her. Ultimately, she will begin to act as if she were still a Paladin; something that will only add to her frustration and anger as, despite her "good" deeds, she remains Fallen.

Now, given the nature of the OotS narrative, I seriously doubt Miko will remain this sad, washed-up individual. Most likely, she will be given a chance to do what is right; almost certainly linked with saving the OotS. She will discover that being a Paladin isn't just about screaming "SMITE EVIL!!!", and there will be suitable a monologue. Finally, at the eleventh hour, the Twelve Gods shall look down upon the warrior who is risking all in the name of Good, with no thought for her safety or reward, and shall bless her with the power to succeed. A Paladin Reborn, Miko shall arise like a phoenix from the ashes of her disgrace, and engage in whoopas on Evil as only a Paladin can.

Duke of URL
2007-01-31, 10:22 AM
I think it would be more fun for her to go completely insane, nihilistic, and attempt to release the Snarl so that it can kill her false gods. That would make the gates now a four-way contest between OotS, LG, Xykon, and Miko.

Baxter Konrad
2007-01-31, 10:26 AM
"Fun" and "Realistic" are often exclusive. This is one such time.

As "Fun" as the idea of Miko becoming a Blackguard is, or blowing up the universe out of spite is, or whatever, it isn't happening.

Baxter Konrad
2007-02-01, 04:54 AM
So far, so good it seems...

Pheldagriff
2007-02-01, 05:06 AM
I think that Belkar won't stop Miko now and she will somehow die and Belkar will have "caused" Miko's death, fulfilling the prophecy

Mr Wizard
2007-02-01, 05:12 AM
I think she will do one of three things:

1: Regain her paladinhood with help from Durkon (by earning it) the Good path)

2: She will join the Linear Guild (a person who believes lengthy and far out monologues following a person who can create lengthy and far out monologues). (the neutral path)

3: She could replace Redcloak and join Xykon in the coming battle (the evil path)

The reason joining the Linear Guild is a neutral path is because it sets her up as a longer term antagonist of the OotS, but she still has a possibility of seeing the error of her ways and attoning. She need not be evil to join TLG, only believe what she is doing is for the greater good. This is why I think the second option is the more likely one. And I think Nale is charismatic enough to take advantage of an obviously confused and vulnerable fallen paladin.

RMS Oceanic
2007-02-01, 05:20 AM
My preferred outcome:

After a long period of antagonism, something will happen which makes her realise where she's gone wrong. She will attempt to atone, only for the spell not to work. The caster will conclude she holds some deep subconscious feelings that make her unable to atone. After another period of soul searching and dealing with her inner demons, she will be eligible for atonement. However, she will no longer want to atone. Her self discovery helps her realise that paladinhood is not the best way for her to serve the Twelve Gods, and she strives to find a less restrictive way of serving them. Ultimately I think her redemption will come through sacrifice in the final battle with Xycon and/or the Snarl.

kabbor
2007-02-01, 05:23 AM
How about going all the way to Blackguardianship, being de-robed (again) for an unequovically _Good_ act, and working here slow way back to blueness? I think that there is enough other story to be told here to allow all that. If the Giant is enjoying this story, I see no reason why it might not stretch out to the brink of doom.

Beleriphon
2007-02-01, 05:35 AM
At this point the story strongly points to Miko doing anything to get vengeance on the OotS for her fall. I would suspect this includes taking up with all manner of unsavoury characters, likes say Nale. I doubt she'd join Xykon, but another evil party that offers the power to stop Roy and gang certainly seems reasonable.