PDA

View Full Version : Best enchantments for Hank's Energy Bow

IIzak
2014-02-25, 04:47 PM
Okay, so recently I came across Hank's Energy Bow for the first time, and I am extremely intrigued. I play an artificer and would like to make the bow (Plus some extra enchantments), however I'd like to get the playground's opinion as to what the best enchantments would be to put on the bow, as well as the actual amount of bonus that the base "Hank's Energy Bow" has, since it's technically supposed to be capped at 10 since we aren't epic :smallfrown:

How would you modify Hank's Energy Bow up to it's +10 bonus cap? How many enchantments would you choose and how much "+X" bonus would you stack on? I'd like to make it as powerful and versatile as possible.

Zetapup
2014-02-25, 05:03 PM
The first enchantment that comes to mind is splitting. This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) archer guide has some other recommendations for decent enchantments.

There's some discussion of Hank's Energy Bow and its actual amount of bonus here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276389)

Those should give you a pretty good starting point.

Snowbluff
2014-02-25, 05:10 PM
After Splitting, we have seeking. Aim for a square, and hit it.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-25, 05:16 PM
Afterwards Collision does solid damage.

Zweisteine
2014-02-25, 05:21 PM
First, make sure your DM rules that it deals force damage. The weapon's description says that it shoots "arrows of pure magical force that deal 2d6 points of damage," but it doesn't actually specify force damage.

If your DM says it doesn't deal force damage, get the Force enchantment. Your DM might be nice and let you have it for only +1, because archery is quite suboptimal, and the bow already shoots magic missiles (not the spell).

Splitting and Phasing are nice, but (I think) you'll need to see through walls somehow to using phasing (ring of x-ray vision!).

Speed is nice, especially together with splitting, though it is strictly worse on its own.

Splitting is the single best bow enchantment out there. It doubles all your attacks for only a +3 bonus cost. If your DM hesitates to allow it, remind him that archery really isn't all that good, and it needs tricks like that to shine.

Nihilarian
2014-02-25, 05:42 PM
Don't underestimate the value of magical arrows, either. IIRC you can enchant a Raptor Arrow (MIC) at the same price as breakable arrows. Probably cheesy though.

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-25, 08:19 PM
Exit Wound, from Complete Warrior.

For a +2 bonus, you can hit multiple targets in a straight line - the shot penetrates and will hit any targets beyond the first in a direct straight line. You use the same roll as the original target to hit any additional ones behind the first, giving each consecutive target an additional (and stacking with each additional foe hit) +4AC. Furthermore, each hit deals an extra 1d6 damage.

It's basically the Penetrating Shot feat, but without having to take it, and you get an additional d6 damage, go entirely off your first roll (Nat20? you hit EVERYTHING), and can make multiple attacks like this in a round.

Side note, play a Cleric, put this, Teleporting, Throwing, and Distance on your greatsword or other improbably damaging weapon (MegaDwarfBonus if it's a Heavy Pick), cast Surge of Fortune, power attack the hell out of it, and enjoy the shenanigans.