PDA

View Full Version : Crafting in a core only game

questionmark693
2014-02-25, 06:39 PM
Simply put, is this a worthwhile use of time?

Jack_Simth
2014-02-25, 06:45 PM
Simply put, is this a worthwhile use of time?
Simply put: Yes.

Edit: Slightly less simply put: Absolutely. With the way the XP rules work in 3.X, the XP cost is a minor inconvenience at best - you *might* be a level behind for an encounter or two, but with the way the XP rewards work, being a level behind means you gain XP faster, so you'll only be behind for one or two encounters. You have to craft *very* heavily to actually stay behind. The rest of the time, you get much of your equipment for half off. In Pathfinder, XP costs are done away with, and you get much of your equipment for half off. In either case, the added wealth is a significant power boost.

questionmark693
2014-02-25, 06:46 PM
Not sure if this will change your answer, but I should've clarified-as a cleric, is it worth it?

Eldariel
2014-02-25, 06:47 PM
Wondrous Items are really good. Magic Arms & Armor are okay. Potentially Rod/Wand, but rarely.

Jack_Simth
2014-02-25, 06:49 PM
Not sure if this will change your answer, but I should've clarified-as a cleric, is it worth it?
Specific Tier-1 class choice is largely irrelevant to the answer. See my edit.

ericgrau
2014-02-25, 11:23 PM
Clerics make excellent crafters, maybe the best in core due to easy spell access. Depends what you want to craft. Arms and armor or ring are probably your best bet with the cleric spell list. Wondrous item and staff are good too. Maybe rods. Scrolls, wand and potion not so much. Even though scrolls, wands and potions are good, you won't craft enough of them to save a lot of money. So you won't get a lot of mileage out of your feat and you may as well buy them instead.

When selecting your domains consider what items you like to craft too. For example holy weapons are nice and only a cleric with the good domain may craft them. Domains also let you make some items that normally only other classes could make.

Particle_Man
2014-02-26, 12:04 PM
With the good domain, and craft arms and armour, clerics can make holy weapons.

That is pretty cool.