PDA

View Full Version : Epic Levels

DEMONhunter
2007-01-31, 10:48 AM
The general consensus seems to be that epic levels are broken. I'm not going to disagree with that. But here's the question: how would you go about making them less broken?

The first thing I thought of is too abandon epic spells completely and fix up epic feats and epic melee. But I have no idea how to go about doing so. Basically, I just want to rewrite epic rules and need help from all you clever homebrewing type people out there.

Any ideas? Advice? Anything?

InaVegt
2007-01-31, 11:32 AM
Well, what I've been considering, but takes a lot of work is just to write an additional 10/20 levels to each class, complete with (new) class abilities and spells (which are grouped into the traditional levels, you gain your 10th level spell at wizard level 21 and such, one new spell level about every four levels) This would require writing additional spells and class abilities, as well as familiar (and similar) advancements for the epic levels.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-31, 11:34 AM
I would personally just say "throw epic enemies against them". If the PCs can defeat the monsters in the book then make a rival group of epic NPCs.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-31, 03:57 PM
Well, what I've been considering, but takes a lot of work is just to write an additional 10/20 levels to each class, complete with (new) class abilities and spells (which are grouped into the traditional levels, you gain your 10th level spell at wizard level 21 and such, one new spell level about every four levels) This would require writing additional spells and class abilities, as well as familiar (and similar) advancements for the epic levels.

That only extends the length of time spent pre-epic. The entire point of epic levels is to create some method of extending things indefinitely.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-01-31, 06:18 PM
One thin with which I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically agree with. Epic Spellcasting needs a big plate of humility, and then some. We even had a competition on the Gaming and General RPG forums here on giantitp last year to animate the planet Earth at level 21. There were around seven viable ways to do this.

Douglas
2007-01-31, 06:54 PM
What was the CR and hit points of this monstrosity of an animated object?

Fizban
2007-02-01, 03:59 AM
It has a CR and hp of you lose!

Actually, what a 21st level wizard can animiate, a 20th level wizard could probably deanimate, destroy, enslave, or all of the above.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-01, 08:41 AM
Epic Spells were a better idea then 10th and 11th level spells. Once you get to level 37 and can cast 18th level spells then you're DM will be fed up of making up new spells.

magic8BALL
2007-02-02, 05:25 PM
If your DM didnt want to make up 18th level spells, he would have killed you off back at level 22.

Anyway, a wizard should make up his own level 10+ spells, with the DM adjudicating. Otherwise, artifacts would still be being made. The whole point of epic levels, as far as I can see it, is the PCs are the first to get there for as long as anyone could care to remember.