PDA

View Full Version : Order of The Stick spanish Translation? or a flash animation?

Don Frag
2007-01-31, 10:59 AM
two questions:

1-is there any project for the translation of oots? spanish maybe?
2-what about a animated series of oots?

Dr. Simon
2007-01-31, 11:25 AM
See, I thought you were going to offer a translation for this strip: :smallwink:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0047.html

Don Frag
2007-01-31, 01:00 PM
seriously need a translator? because i can.That strip at least

Haruki-kun
2007-01-31, 01:43 PM
See, I thought you were going to offer a translation for this strip: :smallwink:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0047.html

It means "Hey! I think I failed to notice something!"

I'm guessing he meant he failed his Spot Check.

Don Frag
2007-02-04, 06:46 PM
so?
then?

Korias
2007-02-04, 06:48 PM
As far as I know, their are no translations for OotS. REason why? The comic was done as you see it. Translating requires said comic to be redone with the new text.

Grey Watcher
2007-02-04, 09:00 PM
There was an attempt a while back, (into German, if memory serves) but the problem was that the translators flaked out on him. Plus there were complaints about accuracy. Rich has put the translation program on indefinite hold.

As for flash? I don't think that'd work. Would you give the characters voices? If so, whose? Or would you have text bubbles flitting on and off screen? How does the timing (so essential to OotS) work? It doesn't seem like a good idea, though, I'm sure if Rich wants to, he will.

faerwain
2007-02-04, 09:11 PM
Yes, it was German. But the project was not a complete failure. A german Neverwinter Nights homepage had as their only entry in the fun section a link to the translated strips. I was amused enough to keep looking for updates, and when they never came I finally bothered to look at the playground and found the real strip :smallbiggrin:
I became addicted, looked further around and finally joined the boards, and now everybody is happy :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2007-02-05, 12:19 AM
I don't think Flash would quite work, for several reasons. But the most important is V's voice. How would the gender remain a mystery if we heard him/her talk?

Actis
2007-02-05, 12:29 AM
Indeed, he meant that he had failed his spot check. However, the translation to Spanish isn't very accurate, though I really can't think of a better way right now. When talking of D&D, terms like "spot check" are very hard to translate.

I imagine we could try and translate oots to Spanish, but not only a lot of language jokes would be lost, but also the feeling would be significantly different.

fall_ark
2007-02-05, 12:47 AM
And how to translate the "nale nailed not-nale" part into, like, Chinese?
Just let the origin be. That's the best way IMHO.

Grey Watcher
2007-02-05, 11:38 AM
And how to translate the "nale nailed not-nale" part into, like, Chinese?
Just let the origin be. That's the best way IMHO.

Yeah ,there was a similiar problem with the ThorPrayer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0007.html) joke. Translating humor is one of the most difficult things to do and still do the original material justice (much like poetry in that respect).

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-05, 03:19 PM
Indeed, he meant that he had failed his spot check. However, the translation to Spanish isn't very accurate, though I really can't think of a better way right now. When talking of D&D, terms like "spot check" are very hard to translate.

I suppose you'd have to buy a Spanish PhB or something relatively easy but possibly costly. Unless there isn't a spanish PhB...

If Monty Python works in any language I guess Order of the Stick will.

Wait, now that I think about it Monty Python isn't really as sophisticated as the hype would make you believe (not that that's a bad thing).

Setra
2007-02-05, 03:21 PM
I don't think Flash would quite work, for several reasons. But the most important is V's voice. How would the gender remain a mystery if we heard him/her talk?
Just have him sound like Micheal Jackson