PDA

View Full Version : Weight Calculations

Ruut
2014-02-25, 10:33 PM
Does anyone know of a formula or a table that exists to assist in the calculation of a character's weight (I mean outside the normal tables given)? For example:

Mountain Orc:

Max Height = 7' 4"
Max Weight = 390 lbs.

Let's assume that he would have a Strength of 22, and a Constitution of 18 to aid in justifying the maximum.

What would his weight be if at 20th level, and 10 manuals later, he has a non-enhanced Strength of 32 and a Constitution of 23?

Knaight
2014-02-25, 11:04 PM
I'm assuming this is for D&D 3.5, though it isn't marked as such or in the subforum for it. Weight isn't actually derived, and can be set as desired. You could have a Strength and Constitution of 6 with the minimum height, and still use the maximum. For that matter, the maximums are unlikely to be enforced (technically they are a rule, but they work better as guidelines). Just come up with it on your own.

As for useful tables, there's always BMI as a vague guideline. Really muscular and tough people could easily be in the 25-30 or 30+ range, and it makes sense to bump everything up a bit or down a bit for some races.

Ruut
2014-02-25, 11:18 PM
I'm assuming this is for D&D 3.5, though it isn't marked as such or in the subforum for it. Weight isn't actually derived, and can be set as desired. You could have a Strength and Constitution of 6 with the minimum height, and still use the maximum. For that matter, the maximums are unlikely to be enforced (technically they are a rule, but they work better as guidelines). Just come up with it on your own.

As for useful tables, there's always BMI as a vague guideline. Really muscular and tough people could easily be in the 25-30 or 30+ range, and it makes sense to bump everything up a bit or down a bit for some races.

Yes, I realized I didn't post it in 3.5 like I should have. And I didn't think about the BMI stuff... thanks.

Anxe
2014-02-25, 11:35 PM
He can't increase in height. Weight lifters are a good place to start. The strongest I found on wikipedia lifted 263kg or 580 pounds. That puts that person at 23 strength (can lift 600 pounds over their head). Thus the strongest real human can lift just as much as Mr. Mountain Orc can at level 4. So... Extrapolate from that?

The record holder guy, Hossein Rezazadeh, is 6'1" and weighs 335 pounds. I'm 6'2", 180 pounds, and can lift about 100 pounds over my head. I probably have a strength of 12 if we're using carrying capacity. My BMI is 23.1 and Rezazadeh's is 44.2 Only two data points, but that lets us say that 2 BMI points is roughly equal to 1 strength point (If that weight is muscle).

So Mr. Mountain Orc starts off with a BMi of 35.4. He increases by 10 strength points, so his BMI goes up by 20. He now weighs about 610 pounds. This did not take Constitution into account though. That's harder to ballpark.

Ruut
2014-02-25, 11:57 PM
So Mr. Mountain Orc starts off with a BMi of 35.4. He increases by 10 strength points, so his BMI goes up by 20. He now weighs about 610 pounds. This did not take Constitution into account though. That's harder to ballpark.

Wow... thank you.

Anxe
2014-02-26, 10:40 AM
You're welcome!

It is only calculated with two data points. You might want to add some people from your own group onto the graph.

Spiryt
2014-02-26, 11:06 AM
Using BMI is tricky though, as it doesn't really make much difference about what this weight is made of...

Using NBA stats, that are roughly correct, all in all, can give some good idea.

This guy is 7'3'' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDydr%C5%ABnas_Ilgauskas)

7'4''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rik_Smits

Actually 7'6''
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yao_Ming

All obviously way smaller, lighter than your mountain Orc, suggesting that said Orcs are massive beasts.

O'Neal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaquille_O%27Neal) was/is 'only' 7'1'', and could come close to 350 pounds, being absolutely massive human being.

Digging deeper, one may find more interesting examples - and comparison of body shapes should give you decent idea.

It's not strict science, some people may weight surprisingly much/little compared to what their look might suggest.

GungHo
2014-02-26, 11:23 AM
I now have a new way to scare the stuffin out of a low level party.

"You are attacked by an Orc Monk. He's got the glow."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/ShaqFu_logo.png/256px-ShaqFu_logo.png

inexorabletruth
2014-02-26, 01:44 PM
PHB pg 109 has your formulas for all your base races. Here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD3e:Age,_Height,_%26_Weight) is the SRD link with the formulas.

I also figured "what the heck" and googled some Height and Weight generators in case you're interested and found one. I haven't tested it or checked it for viruses, but here you go (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?70242-Height-and-Weight-generator-for-3-5&p=1242874&viewfull=1#post1242874). It's the zip file in MythosaAkira's post.

Knaight
2014-02-26, 01:59 PM
Using NBA stats, that are roughly correct, all in all, can give some good idea.

NBA selects for people who are strong, tall, and light for their strength and weight (it helps with all the jumping). I'd be more inclined to use MMA fighters, NFL linemen or similar. Which gets us stuff like Taylor Lewin, who is 6'7" and 309 pounds, or Jake Matthews, who is 6'5" and 308 pounds. Using BMI, both of these are comparable to the orc example. Heavyweights in UFC range from 205 to 265 pounds, averaging about 6'3", which by BMI standards roughly centers them around 30. The weight of the mountain orc is far from unreasonable, as we're looking at a big guy who is extremely strong and tough.

Spiryt
2014-02-26, 02:05 PM
NBA selects for people who are strong, tall, and light for their strength and weight (it helps with all the jumping). I'd be more inclined to use MMA fighters, NFL linemen or similar. Which gets us stuff like Taylor Lewin, who is 6'7" and 309 pounds, or Jake Matthews, who is 6'5" and 308 pounds. Using BMI, both of these are comparable to the orc example. Heavyweights in UFC range from 205 to 265 pounds, averaging about 6'3", which by BMI standards roughly centers them around 30. The weight of the mountain orc is far from unreasonable, as we're looking at a big guy who is extremely strong and tough.

Well, the problem with those guys is that they are not even close to 7'4''.

Stefan Struve is just under 7'' and about 265-ish - so built not unlike most NBA guys.

Vast majority of (out of very small minority that's above 2m) humans won't be particularly heavily build if that tall, guys like O'Neal being somehow 'freak' occurrences.

So creature that's both really damn tall and built like a lineman is going to be rather inhuman - so our mountain orc, I guess.

Knaight
2014-02-26, 05:38 PM
Well, the problem with those guys is that they are not even close to 7'4''.

I figure scaling up from heavier builds works better in the context of an orc.