PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Concentration Optimization Guide

RandomSpectator
2014-02-25, 10:40 PM
If there's another thread like this please link it in a comment below. Having seen some demand for this kind of thread, I figured I'd give it a shot (suggestions/recommendations welcome):

Assumptions

anyone using this guide is either playing a martial adept specializing in Diamond Mind maneuvers or a front line spell caster with high expectations of injury induced spell losses to mitigate. Either way, I don't expect class or prestige class dips to be very relevant, so I won't post them unless asked for.

all 3.5 and updated 3.0 official material is allowed including Dragon and Dungeon magazine, modules, setting specific, etc. but 3rd party stuff is discouraged on grounds of excessive derp content. Exceptions permitted for 3rd party stuff in the "Goldilocks zone" of not overpowered, but potent enough to be worth suggesting.

Anything mentioned should either have minimal practical costs of use (items, spells, races, free templates), have tremendous bang for your buck (+3 or higher feats), or otherwise be easy to add to nearly any character. That sound good?

Races of note

Illumian, RoD: +2 untyped bonus with hoon sigil or +3 with a feat, no ability score modifiers

Spellscale, RotD: +HD/2 racial bonus with Lendys Blood Quickening plus the dragonblood subtype, though there is a racial Con penalty. Overall superior choice.

Any psionic race: see entry for Wild Talent below

Feats

Skill Focus (Concentration, SRD): +3 untyped; not great, but not terrible. Best for games with DM's who want to minimize the total number of splats used.

Steady Concentration feat, RoS: lets you always take 10 on any Concentration check. Simple, powerful, and adds predictability and dependability to perhaps your most important skill checks. Simply outstanding.

Wild Talent, SRD: gain a power point reserve from any source, including this feat, allows you to become psionically focused. Expending your psionic focus lets you effectively 'take 15' on a concentration check. Hard to make use of more than once per fight unless you take the Psionic Meditation feat to regain focus as a move action without provoking AoO.

Blade Meditation (Diamond Mind), ToB: +1 untyped to your chosen discipline's key skill, incidental benefits for martial adepts. Not bad.

Shape Soulmeld (Vitality Belt, MoI): gives +4 Morale which is a common type, but can be raised to +6 with one point of bound essentia from an incarnum race or another feat.

Draconic Aura (Resolve DM): if Dragonblood, scaling untyped(?) bonus capped at +5, with extra goodies, hits allies within 30'. Good on an ally or cohort if feat starved.

Leadership (Marshal - Motivate Constitution, SRD+Mini): This would be the cohort to have, since his/her cha can be optimized independently and benefit the whole party to boot. Slightly cheesy, but nothing like...

Item Familiar (skill point investment option effectively doubles skill ranks, SRD): One of the cheesiest options, and of more use optimizing a spellcaster's Spellcraft for Epic spell research/casting, but included for completeness.

Traits

Focused: +1 Concentration, -1 Spot/Listen. A good trade off for a Warblade or caster, not as good for a Swordsage.

Illiterate: +1 to any one skill chosen at CharGen, can't read, can buy literacy with 2 skill points. Good for non-wizards, maybe non-casters generally.

Items

Masterwork Tool, SRD: +2 circumstance for measly 50GP in theory, but in practice I'm not sure what kind of mundane item would help you concentrate while in combat without needing to be held/manipulated/etc. Maybe some super comfortable silk underclothes or something similar? Any ideas?

Githcraft armor and shield, DMGII: +1 untyped bonus each for ~600GP a pop. Of most benefit when wearing many individual armor pieces: Chain Shirt + Dastana + Chahar-Aina + two bucklers (or shield + buckler) = +5 untyped bonus and costs only slightly more than a +5 competence slotted item without taking up a magic item slot. Beautiful.

Mordrei'in, FoE: +2 alchemical bonus for 10 minutes, craft-able by any magic user in the group for cheap with no XP cost or craft feats. 25GP

Tunic of steady spellcasting, MiC: +5 competence bonus, hands free, 2,500GP. Consider trading up for a Third Eye Concentrate later on.

Third Eye Concentrate, MiC: +10 Competence bonus, hands free, 10,000GP. That about sums it up.

Eternal Wand of Heroism, SRD + ECS: +2 morale bonus to skills and other things for minutes/level. Good as a pre-combat buff if not using other Morale bonus sources. 10,900GP, iirc

Potion or Wand of Focusing Chant, SpC: +1 untyped but not stackable with itself, combat duration, probably will take up too many actions at this point unless ambushing the enemy

Luckstone/Stone of Good Luck, SRD: +1 luck bonus and hands free, but expensive at 20,000GP.

Spells/Powers

Heroism, SRD, level 2: +2 Morale bonus plus other stuff, easy to find ally to cast even at low levels.

Greater Heroism, SRD, level 5-6: +4 morale bonus plus goodies, higher level caster ally can oblige

Recitation, SpC, level 3-4: +2 luck bonus to whole party within radius

Templates

Arctic, DR 306: +2 Con, -2 Cha, other stuff. Cancels out stat mods of Spellscale, and neither setting specific nor flavor specific.

Dragonborn of Bahamut, RotD: +2 Con, -2 Dex, other stuff, weird/possibly restrictive fluff text. Costs 100GP, but acquired rather than inherited, and grants dragonblood.

Necropolitan (any undead will do, but this one has LA+0), LM: Lose con score, gain Charisma to concentration and fort saves. Undead immunities, which are pretty damn good, and can still be healed normally and heal from resting. Not bad for losing a level and some gold.

Magic Blooded, DR 306: +2 Cha, -2 Wis, stuff. Good if coupled with Necropolitan or a Martial dip for Motivate Constitution.

Thurbane
2014-02-26, 12:24 AM
Mounted Casting gives +10 to all Concentration checks to cast spells while mounted. Has some crappy prereqs for a caster, however.

Sniper
2014-02-26, 12:47 AM
Tunic of steady spellcasting (MiC) gives a +5 competence bonus. Less than the third eye, but a lot cheaper (afb but I think 2,500gp), so a good stepping stone for a lower level character

Red Fel
2014-02-26, 08:22 AM
Steady Concentration feat (RoS) lets you always take 10 on any Conc check.

Also, if you expend your Psionic Focus, you can take 15 on one Conc check. Combining that with feats that render you instantly focused (such as Instant Clarity from ToB) means that you can become Focused, expend your Focus, and take 15.

I'm also surprised nobody has yet mentioned Combat Casting, which is a prereq for a lot of things (and grants +4 to Conc while casting defensively).

Darrin
2014-02-26, 09:55 AM
Githcraft armor and shield, DMGII: +1 untyped bonus each for ~600GP a pop. Can only make use of one suit of armor and one shield, but hey, untyped is the best bonus there is and we're not even to magic stuff yet. A mithral buckler is recommended for those not proficient with shields.

Chain Shirt + Dastana + Chahar-Aina + two bucklers (or shield + buckler) = +5 untyped bonus.

Mordrei'in
Price: 25 GP
Weight: --
(Faiths of Eberron p. 153)
+2 alchemical bonus to Concentration and Spot checks for 10 minutes. For fluff reasons, may only be available to elves from Aerenal.

Thiyr
2014-02-26, 01:53 PM
I'd say to toss in Wild/Hidden Talent. Giving you power points means you can get psionically focused, which would probably be better than steady concentration overall.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-26, 02:05 PM
Illumians actually get +1 per sigil, and get a new sigil every 2nd level in a class so, with the feat they have a maximum of +7 to all skills and ability checks.

Chronos
2014-02-26, 05:40 PM
Illumians only get a maximum of two sigils, no matter how many classes or levels they have.

RandomSpectator
2014-02-26, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas and interest! I've edited the original post to include several of the more promising suggestions.

Chain Shirt + Dastana + Chahar-Aina + two bucklers (or shield + buckler) = +5 untyped bonus.

Mordrei'in
Price: 25 GP
Weight: --
(Faiths of Eberron p. 153)
+2 alchemical bonus to Concentration and Spot checks for 10 minutes. For fluff reasons, may only be available to elves from Aerenal.

O.o

It appears that my knowledge of the armor rules and relevant splats is lacking, and that I really should read more Eberron material.