PDA

View Full Version : (AD&D 2 F.R.) Hoarfrost in the Moonwood

Khadavla
2014-02-26, 01:52 AM
Act One: Spring Flowers on the Rauvin

The Village of Boardwalk
West of Silverymoon on the south banks of the River Rauvin.
20th of Chess
1372 Dale Reckoning
The Year of Wild Magic

Note: As the first day after the Spring Equinox, this is the first day of the year when the day is longer than the night. Days will continue to grow longer 'til the Summer Solstice, on the 20th of Kythron.

West of here, Silverymoon has entered into an alliance with other local city states to form one nation—the Silver Marches.

An orc king named Obold Many Arrows is believed to be uniting orcs and other humanoids in the lands north of the Marches.

Rumors spread across the continent like wildfire claiming that the tyrant god Bane was reborn on midwinter.

(Note: While many of these events are consistent with the 3rd edition time line, please don't expect that rend to continue!)

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4802612195755624&pid=15.1

Khadavla
2014-02-26, 07:37 PM
In the springtime, the River Rauvin swells with the melt off of distant mountains. The north becomes bright and beautiful, warm and fertile, though Auril’s bitter cold still haunts the land at nightfall, and when the wind turns north.

On the banks of the River Ruavin, a week’s walk upstream from Luskan, lies a little known village called The Boardwalk. Rather than a full wall, the temple, and some of the farmhouses and craft houses are sturdily built and reinforced, while most of the rest of the folk live on house boats that can easily slip out onto the river when bandits or savage humanoids come a calling.

Other than this, Boardwalk is only really remarkable for two things. Within the temple, a humble wooden chalice called The Heartwood Graal rests on the alter. This relic is said to have been given to the high priestess’s grandmother years ago by Chautneah herself. All who attend service here on 5th day may drink from the Graal, and few have failed to find their wounds healing faster, or their boddies fortified against disease.

The other item of note is a large two story river boat that stays docked here called The Ferryman’s Rest. This is a fine country inn opened by a retired adventuring swordsman called Argos Amblecrown. He runs it with his family, and employs many of the villages young women and older folk to keep it lively. The stew is hot, the ale is brown, music and games of chance are ever present.

It is here that our story begins, when nine surprisingly formidable young heroes turn out to be the main occupants of the Ferryman’s Rest.

With each turning of the season, a new challenge will greet them.

Though it is the height of spring, all here remember that winter is coming. When the snow is thick on the ground and hoarfrost turns trees into jewels, this is the time of the Frostmaiden. May she spare us the touch of her beautiful lips and turn her ice blue gaze away from the warmth of our hearths.

Khadavla
2014-02-27, 07:42 AM
Mood Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GaLAd_xFwk

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/lunawuff/20100920171156-1d0c22d8_zpsb5fc4440.jpg

The north wind caressed the young woman's golden brown hair as she danced down the roads between the fields. Though it held winter's chill, and the promise of Auril's frosty kiss waiting to spread across the land once more, to the young priestesses it seemed nothing more than another delightful and perfectly natural aspect of her favorite time of year. The wind rippled through her waist length hair like gentle fingers, and the goosebumps it raised on her flesh were nothing more than a sensual contrast to the warmth of the evening sun.

All around her, farmers labored to fill the rich earth with seed—earth she and her grandmother had recently blessed and prayed over, asking Chaunteah to keep the soil fertile and free of blight. Her work was done for the day, and she could revel in the beauty of spring. She sang in simple joy as darted down the road, greeting the farmers, waving to the birds and squirrels, laughing in sheer bliss as a cloud of butterflies swirled around her. A burly old man straightened up and stretched, smiling as the girl's beauty and laughter soothed his sore back. “Good evening Felicity!” he called.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Khadavla/Vivi_magnussen1_zps240b6603_resized_zps2f4dc37e.jp g The same chill breeze seemed ominous to Kimimi, though it was hard not to smile as her long silver hair danced out to the south, mingling with her cousin Rin's platinum blond. It drew another small flock of butterflies into the air, these aquamarine and purple. They danced through the air around the two adventuring girls atop Kimimi's soft gray steed before fluttering away to the south, drawing the girls' attention to the priestess coming up the intersecting road.

Kimimi was a tall and hard bodied girl of 24 clad in white leathers under silvered mail. Her riding boots had a little more heel than was strictly necessary, and were thigh high. Her boot and belt buckles were silver as well—like the delicate choker around her throat, dangling a tiny medalion—a unicorn and crescent moon—in the hollow of her throat. Her eyes were amethyst. She wore a longsword on her belt, and a dagger too. There was a hefty lance in her war saddle with a simple lavender streamer for a pennon.

The silver haired girl regarded the priestess with a pleased smile on pale pink lips. She noted that the other girl was younger than she, but still fully mature. Unlike her waifish cousin, the petite priestess had round hips. Her green gown and white blouse were low necked to bare an extremely generous expanse of cleavage. They also framed the gold leafed copper medallion around her neck, a golden flower in a sunburst. Kimimi's grin widened. “Hail and well met, favored of Chauntea. Please call me Kimimi. This is my cousin Rin. May I have the pleasure of your acquaintance?”

The girl turned her hazel eyes upon the riders, then grinned and scampered up the road to greet them. “Well met indeed, Kimimi, favored of Lurue, Queen of Unicorns, beloved liege of pegasi, patron of dreamers and talking beasts.” She curtsied, smile widening as she Kimimi's eyes danced at the other girl's recognition of her faith. “The pleasure is mine. MY name is Fecitiy Caritas. Call me Fel if it pleases you more.

“And well met to you as well, Rin. And to your noble steed. Does she talk?”

Kimimi laughed. “Lurue has yet to favor me with the power to grant the gift of silver tongue and starry eyes. Mai speaks to me well enough, tough. She is a dear friend, and we understand each other.”

Beraias
2014-02-27, 09:51 AM
Rin tagged along just behind her "cousin" ever appearing stoic and uncaring to others. She looked like your average 12 year old girl, though she was in reality, 16. Rather grateful for the small chest she had, it added to her lie of youth. She said nothing so far, merely watching. Let the world assume she was mute or something.

Khadavla
2014-03-04, 04:35 PM
“What brings you all to my home?” the cheerful blond inquired.

The silver haired girl shrugged. “Just looking for new places too see, really. Two villages back they told us you had a most excellent tavern here. The Ferrymen's Rest?”

The priestess of chaunteah grinned and nodded, “I was just heading there myself to visiting some friends. Please join me.”

The silver haired girl smiled as the blond turned to skip down the road. She slipped down from the horse's back and helped her cousin down, then lead her horse down the road towards the river.
Some minutes later, leaving the horse at stable, the three walked along a wooden boardwalk over a high risen and fast rushing river bank. They reached a great riverboat, two stories above the water, and probably at least one bellow. Ascending the ramp, a jaunty fiddle tune reached out the open windows to greet them.

Within, comely young barmaids danced about, skirts and hair swirling around them as they wove between tables of travelers, old men, and hard workers who'd finished their planting early and come to the inn to play hard before going home to sleep hard. A sandy haired scarecrow of a young man sat on a barell by the fire, sawing on a fiddle with energy and skill. Along the west wall coppers and even silvers were changing hands as a result of the toss of the dice or the flip of the card.

Lunawuff
2014-03-04, 11:51 PM
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/lunawuff/monja_by_feh_rodrigues_scaled_zps79a86fcc.jpg

A young human woman had already claimed a table, where she was waiting on her friend to show up.. Katarina was short and slender, at least for a human, with a deep red hair and a pale complexion, the kind that looked like it burned easily in the sun. She was wearing a pristine white jacket, open to reveal a black brassiere that cupped her bosom but displayed a generous portion of her cleavage, between which rested a silver disk hanging from a thin chain, upon which was etched the symbol of Helm. Dark brown pants clung to her shapely figure, bloused neatly into the straps of black leather sandals.

It had been a few seasons since she had last seen the silver haired priestess, but she was looking forward to their reunion. They had parted on amicable enough terms- despite their differences in outlook, they both came from nobility, and they both shared a desire to protect others less capable of protecting themselves.

Deep emerald eyes glanced furtively as she sat back in her seat, wondering who else the priestess of Lurue might be planning to draw into this little venture of theirs. It wasn't too much longer before she had at least a partial answer, as she caught a glimpse of the girl with silver hair, and a smaller girl following along.

The redheaded monk rose from her seat to greet her friend, "Kimimi!" she called out and then stepped forward and embraced the other girl before taking a step back to look at her. "It's nice to see you again. I see you brought a friend... will she be joining us as well?"

Beraias
2014-03-05, 02:32 AM
Rin still said nothing as she followed Kimimi, not a smile to be found on this small woman's face. In her baggy clothing she easily passed for a simply 10-12 year old girl, gifted, or cursed, with smallness of stature as she was, the Glacial dragon was merely following orders.

Vertharrad
2014-03-05, 03:03 AM
Hais smiled in his joy to see a settlement, he had been travelling for quite a few days and wanted to sleep in a real bed tonight. The road rations were also wearing thin on him. He took Renithsar to the stables, calling for the attendant or owner. Hais pays the person 1 gold to take good care of Renithsar.

Having dealt with that he heads over to the Ferryman's rest to get a good days meal before having to find a Inn and bed to reserve for the night. He enters and takes a seat ordering a meal and drink. Eating at a measured pace he looks around the establishment enjoying the jovial mood and different, interesting people. Hais makes sure to tip the barmaid courteously for the meal.

I would put up a picture...but it's big and would take up quite a bit of space.

Felhammer
2014-03-05, 03:07 AM
The brown haired, lithe Halfling sat on human-sized ottoman, positioned near the window. He sat alone in the tavern, looking out at the river through the porthole. He was glad winter's chilly embrace had been beaten back by spring's youthful ferocity. Still, he couldn't help but feel a bit depressed as he knew that youth would soon wither and the north would once more be blanketed with snow.

At least warm, comfortable places (like this riverboat pub) existed to help pass the time.

In the thief's palm was a small coin purse, filled with a handful of copper; Copper that he had just earned by picking some jewelry box for an "adventurer". Adventurer? More like run-of-the-mill burglar. Still, the coin paid for the quarter pint of ale in his hand and that, at least, was something tangible (and delicious too).

His eyes drifted over to the door as two beautiful women glide into the room. He sits transfixed by their almost unearthly radiance. Sure, the Halfling had seen many a pretty lass in his day but it had been several weeks since he last gazed upon such vivacious foxes. He let his eyes linger a bit too long, soaking in every movement of the body, every bounce of the hair, every last footfall.

Suddenly a third (equally attractive) girl bolts up and calls the first two over. How strange, thought the Halfling, "I never have friends waiting for me in a pub." The Halfling chuckles to himself, "Ah, the simple life of townsfolk." Kev sipped his ale once, twice, thrice more in an effort to gather up the courage necessary to march over and introduce himself. He yearned to have friends once more, friends who weren't just business associates. He hadn't experienced such kinship since fleeing Phlan. Perhaps these three would prove to be the kind of people he could call friend? At the very least, they would be pleasant company...

He takes a fourth swig and stands up.

Then immediately sits down once more and decides to finish his ale while trying not to look too conspicuous as he leers at the women out of the corner of his eye.

Khadavla
2014-03-08, 08:27 PM
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Khadavla/Wench2resized_zps4317de11.jpg
A buxom blond barmaid of perhaps nineteen tended to Hais's comforts. She wore a warm smile on full, dusty pink lips. Cornflower blue her eyes lingered over him just long enough to let him know she found his immortal form pleasing.

Instead of the typical hard, dry trenchers any humans served their meals on, Hais found himself served a fish chowder with mushrooms and broccoli on a fresh, lightly toasted loaf. There was aslo a little wooden bowl of leafy salad with creamy dressing, another of berries, cream, and honey, and for desert a square of golden honey cake. She kept his glass filled too, with ale, wine, mead, or brandy as suited his tastes. (Given that none of it would actually intoxicate an elf, and that strong drink never made one sick, he was free to enjoy.)

Hais could see the girl wanted to flirt with him, but—being a year or two older than the other barmaid's present—she seemed to feel compelled towards a certain level of professionalism. This was not to say she wasn't flirtatious. She touched his shoulder lightly when she approached him. She smiled cheerfully. She danced and swayed when she moved. It gave a contrasting impression of her. The blond came across as sophisticated and sensual, yes. Contrasted to girls barely a year her junior giggling freely and bouncing in excitement, it also gave the impression of a girl embarrassed by her own youth and the peers she clearly held in high regard.

The entrance of three more girl's revealed to Hais that his waitress was still entirely capble of girlish glee. She bound across the room like a doe, squealing happily, and threw her arms aruon dthose of a colorfully clad—rather smaller—girl with the holy medallions of Chaunteah, human goddess of fertility, agriculture, and the most nurturing aspects of nature. The river on which they even nowfloated was sacred to Chaunteah, and it was said that when she first created life, it emerged onto the face of Aber-Toril at the mouth of the Rauvin.

“Kimi!” The blond kissed each cheek o her friend with the red-gold hair. “It's good to see you! How were the ceremonies? Have you blessed all the fields now?”

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/lunawuff/20100920171156-1d0c22d8_zpsb5fc4440.jpg

The younger girl replied with a gleeful giggle, “Oh, yes! And all the pregant animals, too. This will be a bountiful year and none will go hungry.” Kimimi returned her friend's embrace, and returned the kisses, then asked for a seat somewhere they could talk when she wan't busy. As such, Hais found that the gorgeous human was offered a seat at he table next too him.

Over the next few minutes, all the barmaids paused long enough to wish her agleefuly good evening

Khadavla
2014-03-09, 02:48 AM
The Realms are vast. Over the millennia, kingdoms rise and fall, their remains cruble to dust and are forgotten.

But some keep an accounting of even the dead...

A few weeks ago, at her mother's behest, Summer had sought out an ancient cemetery in the middle of nowhere. There she found an undead being in a great stone tomb. She had explicit instructions not to put this being to rest, and her sense for the presence of the profane did not register him as a threat to goodly folk—though she could feel the chill of negative energy within the tomb.

As per her instructions—Summer presented him with a years supply of ink and parchment from the temple in Waterdeep.

The desiccated, bandage wrapped corpse thanked her graciously and dipped an ancient quill, then scribed furiously. “I have 17 days to catch up on,” he explained in a vexed but hollow voice. “Myrkul's church were horrible people, but they remembered their duty to their god's predecessor. I am pleased to be working with Kelvmore's church, Summer, and with your mother's as well. Matters of succession make work for everyone, but things should get straightened out soon.”

The white quill was leafed with gold in places, but dulled by eons of ink:

Beorn of the Moonshaes, died 3rd of Chess, 1372 DR, washed overboard on a wailing ship at the age of 29.
Marigold Summers of Lowhill, the Silver Marches. Died 3rd of Chess, 1372 dale reckoning, ending 3 months of suffering at the hands of goblins. 20Years old.
Merida Heatherdown, died 3rd of Chess,1372 DR, holding her infant grandson. 93 years old.

The mummy paused to glance down at the latest recording. Withered lips smiled ever so sadly. “More should go like Granny Heatherdown.” Then the quill was flying over the page once more.

“You wanted to know about the Cauldron of Crowns, yes?”

Gem_Knight
2014-03-09, 02:58 AM
Summer nodded, thinking of the old woman, "Indeed, the most blessed of passings one could hope for." She still wasn't entirely sure how to deal with this- entity. She had her instructions that it was to be spared, and even the barest of conversations with it bore out that he wasn't malevolent or maniacal, or even Machiavellian. So she did as she was told where he was concerned. Her duties took priority to her comforts.

"But yes, what of this Cauldron of Crowns?"

Vertharrad
2014-03-09, 04:44 PM
Hais smiles back at the waitress, and thanks her for the excellent refreshments. He laughs heartily at the festivities. It's been some time since he's felt this comfortable. In fact it's almost like he was back home in Silverymoon. The entrance of the three girls draws his attention as it seems that one of them is well known. Although caution has become his way due to being a lone adventurer he is still curious. Finishing up his meal he decides to keep an eye on the preceedings and make his decision on what to do from the outcome. He looks around the tavern as he sips his mead taking his time to assess any other interesting looking people. It's been some time since he's ravelled with other's and he'd like to do so again.

Khadavla
2014-03-10, 12:50 AM
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Khadavla/Vivi_magnussen1_zps240b6603_resized_zps2f4dc37e.jp g

Kimimi returned the redhead's embrace with a tight squeeze and a hapy sigh. The silver haired girl held her friend's hands and backed away to arm's reach and looked the young monk up and down. “Wow,” the silver haired girl grinned. “You look great, Katarina! You wear that so well!”

Kimimi's grinned and leg go of one of her friends hands to pull the platinum blond forewards. “This is my cousin She trained with the War Wizard's of Cormyr. Let's have a seat. I hope some of the other girls make it.”

Feeling eyes on her, the silver haired girl glanced around the tavern before sinking into her seat. She notched the halfing with the shy but mischievous smile, the handsome and powerfuly buil elf. She gave them each a warm grin before sinking down into the chair.

A black cat purred and rubbed up against her legs. Kimimi reflexively reached down and ruffled the mouser's back. “Good hunting, sir,” she offered. “What's your name?”

The cat looked up at her, curiosity in it's luminous ice blue eyes, the mewed.

“It's nice to meet you, good master Mittens.”

A brown haired young barmaid blinked as she lay out a fruit bowl for them. “What can I get you all? And how did you know his name was Mittens.”

The silver haired girl giggled, “Because he told me of course.” She continued to rub the tomcat, who pressed his hand into the silver haired girls palm and purred.

The barmaid's jaw worked and she looked confused, but let it go when Kimimi continued, “Mulled mead for myself and my cousins. And fish chowder for everyone. Including a tumbler full for Mittens.”

avorae
2014-03-10, 12:04 PM
Sarah knew that she was late in meeting the others but it could not be helped she told herself as she rode into the village. After all it was not her fault that both the noble's son and daughter fancied her and tried to vie for her attentions. Of course it would have been rude of her not to accept the gifts that they showered her with so how was she to know that it was part of the family's heirloom.

Dismounting Midnite she hands the reigns to the stable-hand. “Make sure you take good care of her for she's been a good friend to me.” she says as she flips him a gold piece. “You treat her right and there will another one for you.”

With her mount taken care of Sarah makes her way to the Ferrymen's Rest to meet up with her friends.

Khadavla
2014-03-11, 07:15 AM
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/lunawuff/tavern-wench_resize_zps0d01b199.jpg
Kev felt a hot hand with small, supple fingers--for a human anyway--touch him on the shoulder.

Eri Miller stepped closer and refilled his pint rich, cool ale. (They did something bellow decks to chill the day's kegs in the river.) “Would you like to buy them a round?” she inquired, offering the halfling the same smile she offered her older brother when he was being shy about girls. It did feel a bit odd to the brown haired girl to be looking down while offering tha smile—she wasn't tall—but it felt right. “The brown haired girl is Alexanda. She's drinking Heartland's Ale. The silver haired girl is Kimimi. She drinks Mead, and would particularly love a bottle of Warmen's Best. I don't know the kid, but at that age she'll want lemonade or mulled mead with nutmeg. Alexandra said there might be other girl's coming too.”

Felhammer
2014-03-11, 11:29 AM
KEV

The Halfling practically jumps off the ottoman when Eri placed her hand upon his shoulder. Normally he was very observant but today... The Halfling was not plying his skills properly, for what ever reason. Perhaps being in the company of so many women and in such a pleasant town was dulling his otherwise sharp skills? Regardless, he promised himself to be extra vilgalent. No good can come from being surprised. Kev put his halfling-sized hand atop Eri's much larger human-sized one and looked into her eyes, "Yes, I would like to order a round for them." He pauses for a moment then continues, "And for you, as a reward for such helpful advice!" He pats her hand three times as he smiles wide and flashes an overzealous wink, "Tell them the round was paid for by Kevamin the Magnificent."

Lunawuff
2014-03-11, 04:09 PM
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/lunawuff/monja_by_feh_rodrigues_scaled_zps79a86fcc.jpg

Katarina squeezed her friend's hands, smiling at her before turning to offer the smaller girl a smile as well. "War wizards... so obviously not just a child, then.." she grinned and moved to set next to her friend. "And I must say you are even more pretty than I remember.. and I remember being quite smitten at the time.." she blushed and then cleared her throat.

"Anyway... it's nice to take some time to catch up, and a mead sounds really good after I've been on the road for so long." She waited for Kimimi to place their order and then sat back, stretching her arms a bit. "So, anything news worthy from around here? I've been away for quite a while."

Khadavla
2014-03-17, 10:52 PM
The mummified scribe nodded thoughtfully. He paused a moment and began to speak. Occasionally he would glace down at the page over which his quill still flew, recording all the deaths in recent days.

“Fear of death is a double edged sword, as you may know. It afflicts every living being—even to some extent immortals such as the elves. To face down that fear is an act of supreme courage. Such acts give birth to heroes, martyrs, legends, and even gods.

“But to those who lack the courage to look death in the eye and say, “I am afraid of you. I accept that I am afraid of you, and I can live with that fear,” cowardice becomes a root of evil far more twisted and vile than the love of money.”

“One such coward was king Ramaiel V.”

“In the days when the Nethril Empire was a local power on the rise in a fertile valley now known as the Great Desert Anaroch and the High More was still a vast forest where elves danced and warred, this land was a land of dwarves. A millennia earlier, seven brothers had divided the region between them. They donned crowns of iron and swore powerful oaths that—so long as they wore these crowns—they would protect their people from all that is evil.

A few human tribes settled in the surface lands, first warring with the dwarves, but later allying with them against true evils and learning the benefits of trade and agriculture. A powerful warrior and champion of his people as a youth, he won their hearts and their loyalty. As he aged, knowledge of his own mortality gnawed at his soul. He turned to his court magician and inquired if there was any magic that might stave off death. The loyal man—son of a comrade in arms—invested three years research into such magic, and much gold, then presented his majesty with a potion that he said was of variable effect, but could restore to him as much as twelve years of youth.

“The mage's research was flawed. Such potions do exist, and he had in fact prepared one, but the texts he'd discovered did not include that such potions—unlike the weaker versions—had a slight chance of failure. In failing, the potion worked in reverse, and Ramiel saw his own hair go gray as the magic scorched it's way throuhg his veins.

“I believe it was at this moment that Rameil gave into his cowardice. It is only natural for living things to do whatever is rational to continue their lives, even seeking magic to extend it. Even seeing the shocked horror in his magician's eyes, he ordered the man beheaded on the spot.

“Ramiel devoted the next years to a personal study of arcane lore. He put aside his sword and apprenticed himself to an outcast elven sorcerer. With a keen mind, the resources of a kingdom, and the faith of his people, Ramiel grew quickly in the arate. Even those in his confidence did not immediately discover that his purpose was not to enrich his kingdom or extend his own life, but to find a way to extend his existence through undeath. Those who urged him to step away from this path he beguiled with magical enchantment. Indeed, this was how he dealt with the chief of his order of funerists—a humble and dutiful priest of Jergal who's converses with you now—when I discovered that the remains of the original court magician had been disturbed and the head of that poor mage reanimated to serve as a source of magical instruction.

The older he grew, the more desperate Ramiel became to find the perfect method of continuing his existence in undeath. One day, he disappeared, leaving control of the kingdoms in the hands of a steward. During the ten years he was gone, his beguiled servants began to break free of his enchantments. Upon his return 11 years alter, seemingly a young and strong warrior once more, a few dared to publicly accuse him of his crimes. He demanded trial by combat and slew them personally, then demanded to know what necromancer could wield a sword with half so much skill?

Then—before doubts about the source of his sudden youth could plunge his lands into civil war—Ramiel declared war upon the weakest of the neighboring dwarven kingdoms. His armies marched, clashing with the dwarves from above while Ramiel's secret teachers—the vile Derro—arose from below to catch the dwarves between them. The nation was broken, it's people slain, fled, or held in bondage. Their iron crown Ramiel claimed as a personal trophy after defeating the dwarf king in single combat.

“They repeated this invasion with other dwarven nations, again and again. But with the second, and increasingly through each invasion, a third army marched against the dwarves—an ever growing legion of their own slain kindred.

“The king sponsored lavish and elaborate funeral rites for his own fallen. After the last of the seven iron crowns was his war trophy, Rameil granted his people seven years of peace. They rarely saw him during these years. Disconcerting whispers spread about their king's reversal in age, wars with former allies on what seemed in hindsight to be trumped up charges, and the nature of their mysterious allies against the dwarves.

“During these years, the king blended the seven iron crowns with other metals both fowl and vial. He heated them in dragon fire, forged them with a hammer of bone, and cooled the final project in the blood of innocents. The result was a blood red cauldron on three feet large enough to completely submerge a human corpse. Any corpse thrown into it would immediately animate as lesser undead under his control. With appropriate rituals, it facilitated the creation of very powerful forms of undead.

“Ramiel quickly went about reanimating the many fallen from his armies. No longer hiding the necromantic source of his power, he set to work building a great empire. Many among his people rebelled or fled, seeking aid in the fledgling empire of Nethril—among sun worshipers with strong magical lore. Ramiel cared not of rebellions. Though undeath he had his immortality. Those who challenged his rule became undead abomination working the mines and fields. Those who pleased him he rewarded with eternal life as intelligent corpses.

Eventually the three armies assembled simultaneously and crushed Ramiel's forces—elves, dwarves, and netherese humans combined. It took many years of bloody battle. Ramiel himself was slain at least seven times before his phylactery was found and destroyed, ending his tyranny forever. The cauldron, however, was not so easily destroyed. Dwarven hammers shattered in the attempts. The strongest magics of humans and elves could not disenchant it. The cauldron was ultimately sealed away in a dungeon outside of the High Moore, layers of steal, lead, and gargoyle blood encased it, and mighty wards hid it away.

“I recently learned that—during the time of the avatars—many of these wards degenerated or were lost altogether. Three months ago I took a pause from my work to check the cauldron's containment. It was gone. The final defense—the solid steal box—was shattered by a cold so terrible that the better part of a year later it still lingered.”

Khadavla
2014-03-17, 11:12 PM
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Khadavla/Vivi_magnussen1_zps240b6603_resized_zps2f4dc37e.jp g
Before she could sit, Kimimi caught a familiar figure entering the tavern from the corner fo her eyes. She spun, silver hair swirling around her shoulders. “Sarah!” she called excitedly, beckonnig the elfkin swashbuckler to join them. “Over here! I'm so glad you came.”

She introduced Sarah Taltrees to Rin and Katarina.

Gem_Knight
2014-03-17, 11:20 PM
"So, you suspect someone with powerful cold magic shattered that last defense?" Summer paused for a moment- "You said you check on this cauldron's defenses often- were you made from it- one of the people this Ramiel sought entertainment from?"

Khadavla
2014-03-17, 11:28 PM

Felicity leaned back in her chair and drank in the common room. Occasionally another barmiad found a free moment to greet the Chauntean priestess—just as excitedly and intimately as their elder. After a while, she turned to Hais and gave the elven archer a dimpling smile. “I think Siri likes you,” the redhead offered by way of greeting. “I haven't seen her cheeks this rosy all year. My names Felicity. Are you enjoying your stay in Boardwalk, sir?”

Vertharrad
2014-03-17, 11:57 PM
"Well met Felicity my name is Hais. Yes my stay here is a much needed respite from the road. I'm enjoying the carefree atmosphere here."

Khadavla
2014-03-18, 01:05 AM
Summer: Elsewhere, Earlier

The undead scribe's quill paused ever so briefly and he regarded summer with eyes that—unlike the rest of his desiccated form—could almost be mistaken for living. “I suffered at Ramiel's hands, yes. I was his country's chief futurist. He kept me beguiled with charms and suggestions for many years, even manipulated me into preparing his people for reanimation by not letting me realize what the special funeral preparations actually were. I slipped his control fully as he prepared the cauldron and fled to Nethril. With the influence of others among Jergal's clergy in that young empire I achieved an audience with the emperor—among other refugees—and helped persuade him to join a coalition with the elves and dwarves to put Ramiel down. I survived that war as well. The ward I personally placed on the cauldron was among the last to fail. Had it been the first, I might have been there in time to see some of them restored or replaced.

“I died at the age of 83. It was a harsh winter. There was little food, and my heart was weak. I awoke the next winter in the state you see me in now. There were too few scribes remaining in those days for us to let death come between ourselves and our duty. I had long since pledged to my brethren that I would continue.”

The undead glanced at the fireplace. He rose and carefully placed a few more logs. “I have no more need for heat, but the fire is quite bueatiful, when I can take my eyes off of the page.” He used a little sand to speed the drying of the ink, then clead the page and flipped to the next one, dipped his quill, and resumed his scribing.

Beraias
2014-03-18, 01:21 AM
Rin remained ever silent, sipping her mead and looking way too young to be really doing so. Those that touched her, would find her very cold to the touch, like she had been in a freezer for around 3 hours.

Khadavla
2014-03-20, 05:26 PM
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q653/lunawuff/tavern-wench_resize_zps0d01b199.jpg

Veri started towards the table full of adventuring girls with small tray, then she noticed another girl joining then and twirled back to grab another pitcher of fine mead.

A few moments later, she arrived at the table with Katarina, Kimimi, Rin, and Sarah. Placing down a tray full of fine beverages, the lithe young barmaid explained, “This round is compliments of Kevamin the Magnificent.”

Kimimi gave a pleasantly surprised smile and glanced around. She followed Veri’s eyes the halflings way and—remembering his charming reactions from earlier, first waved, then beckoned for Kev to join them. “Hope you girls don’t mind?” she asked, blushing to realize it was a moment too late…

avorae
2014-03-20, 10:54 PM
“It's so good to see you Kimimi.” Sarah says as she gives her friend a hug.“I am sorry that I am late but I had a slight situation I had to resolve before I could make it here.”Breaking away from the hug she nods at the other two at the table. “It's a pleasure to meet you both.” she says as she takes a seat.

“So tell me wha....” she started to say until the barmaid sat a mug down in front of her and proclaimed that it was compliments of Kevamin the Magnificent.

“Oh no I don't mind at all.” Sarah replies To Kimimi as she waves her glass to the Halfling. “but tell me what is this I hear about you wanting to start an adventuring guild or some such.”

Lunawuff
2014-03-21, 02:27 AM
Katarina cast a somewhat wary glance over at the halfling who had offered to pay for their drinks, but after a moment she shrugged and even smiled softly at him, raising her glass and acknowledging his kind gesture with a curt nod of her head. She was just getting comfortable, leaning back in her chair when Kimimi beckoned him to join them.

"Wait, wha..?!? Kimi!" she sighed but then let out a soft chuckle. "I guess I don't have a real issue with it... a little late to be asking if its alright, though..." she shook her head then decided to just flow with it.

"I'd love to hear more about your idea as well, Kimi. I'm sort of free from the monastery now, so I've been looking for something to do, anyway."

AliyaStormwrack
2014-03-31, 09:27 PM
It seemed to be a day for roving halflings. Another one, this one female, walked into the place, carrot orange hair almost immediately drawing a little attention here and there. With surprising nimbleness, she stared at the milling crowd for a moment, and then seemed to effortlessly slip through gaps that were only open for a second or two, making it to the bar with minimal trouble.

She shuffled her boots while she waited, and then ordered a light drink, turning to glance around the main room while she waited. Her eyes lit on the crowd at the one table, and nearly moved on after several seconds. But then she smiled brightly as she caught sight of a very distinctive head of silver hair, repressing the urge to squeal in delight. Taking the drink, she repeated the process of weaving through the crowd to that table.

When she was within easy speaking distance, she did. "Kimi! Where in Torril have you been for the last year? Mother was worried when you didn't stop by for our harvest dinner last year! You NEVER miss a chance to stop when she's cooking, and it was her turn this year!"

Now that she was closer, a good portion of her clothes matched her hair, and the rest matched her bright forest green eyes. The only exception was the feathery hairpiece tucked behind her left ear. Starting orange like her hair, the feathers faded through the rainbow until they were a bright, almost opalescent blue. The only parts of her attire that didn't match the rest were the hardened leather jerkin and bracers she wore.

Khadavla
2014-04-03, 05:10 PM

Felicity dimpled.

“Nice to meet you, Hais. We tend to throw ourselves into whatever we do here. Work hard, pray hard, fight hard, and most of all play hard.”

She suddenly giggled as the minstrel took up a new tune. Rising, she skipped closer to the elf and gave a slight curtsy, “Do you dance, Hais?”

Waitresses poured oil into lanterns and lit them to keep the inn bright as the sun sank over the horizon and mist rose off of the Rauvin. A chill breeze from the north slowly rose. Auril’s way of saying, ‘Enjoy the warm while you can. You can’t escape the winter.’

Vertharrad
2014-04-03, 11:09 PM
He gets up and bows to her. Smiling Yes I do. Although I might be a little lacking, it has been some time since I've done so. He makes sure to set aside his pack, bow and arrows. He follows her to the dance floor the chill air pleasantly reminding him that the seasons change as does all things. He feels at peace with the environment.

Felhammer
2014-04-04, 02:04 AM
KEVAMIN

The Halfling beams with pride, "Indeed, I am Kevamin the Magnificent - wanderer by day, patron of alehouses by night. It is a pleasure to make all of your acquaintances! I am glad my offering of a free round was enough to broach a conversation betwixt us. I had been eying your table from afar. Pray tell, what business do so many beautiful women have together on a fine day such as this?" The halfling meanders over to the girl's table, " Be you merchants or travelers? Perhaps noble knights from a distant land?" He giggles at the last comment and flashes a wry grin.

Khadavla
2014-04-10, 05:16 AM
Knowing from the Scribe only that the Cauldron of Crowns was somewhere north, and that if she spent time in the area it's owner's crimes would reveal it sooner or later, Summer arrived at the village of Boardwalk on the banks of the Rauvin just as the sun had set and a chill breeze was kicking up.

Directed to an inn on the river itself—actually a sizable river boat docked there—Summer entered the Ferryman's Rest. She noted a comely human girl dancing with a fit looking elf lord. A band of adventuring women were welcoming a haflling man to their table.

Elsewhere in the tavern, locals ate, drank, and played at dice. Comely young bar wenches circulated, keeping drinks full and parties lively.

Khadavla
2014-04-10, 06:18 AM
Kimimi gave a sequel of glee and scooped up the orange haired halfing in a bear hug. She spun around a few times, then set the petite girl smoothly down on one of the still empty chairs at their table. “It's so good to see you, Jewel! Stay! Oh, please stay with us! I sent a letter your way. Did it not arrive? The messengers were dubious about being able to find you in the Moonwood.”

She turned to smile at the halfling man. She blinked a little bit at the suggestion of 'Noble knights from a distant land' and actually blushed but shook her head. “Well met, good Kevemain! My name is Kimimi. I am a priestess of Lurue the Unicorn Queen. A Silvermaid some call us. My companions and I were are Jewel,” she indicated the other halfling, “Rin,” the waifish mage, young even in this company, “Sarah,”the elfkin swashbuckler, and “Katarina,” the scantily clad monk.

Khadavla
2014-04-10, 07:27 AM
Elegant and graceful, energetic and skilled, Felicity proved to be a joy to dance with. Her petite body was firm, but soft in all the right places, and she was short enough to be perfectly eye to eye with Hais.

Though the woodsman had never had the time to formally learn dancing, the elf made up for a lot of it with his supernatural grace. He also noted that Felicity—though seeming to be lead—was actual guiding him with subtle pressures of her hand and drawing from her body.

Outsde, the mist off of the Rauvin rose higher, stretching out through the town and over the fields, shrouding the night in chill magic.

The third dance was slow. The human girl—who's hazel eyes had tell now lingered over the elf's—now gave a contented sigh and lay her head on his shoulder...

A few moments later Felicity jerked back at the sound of a great iron bell tolling. Locals all around the bar jumped to their feet, hands going to daggers or weapons of opportunity.

The barkeep yelled out, “Foe men coming.” He groaned when the great bell clanged a third time. “Three rings! They're already in town! Cast off! Cut the moorings and cast off! The river will protect us!”

Felicity looked frightened but yelled, “I have to get to the temple!”

While other locals were still hesitating between staying in the shelter of the boat and seeking out their loved ones in the night, the human girl grabbed her rowan wood staff and darted out the door faster than anyone could hope to stop her...

They could still follow if they were fast enough!

Khadavla
2014-04-10, 07:33 AM
Mood music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbLnEbf1W38

Vertharrad
2014-04-10, 08:01 AM
Hais lets his own grace and her guiding take effect to the point he's not even thinking so much as it just being second nature. He laughs lightly on the 3rd dance. Hais just about jumps out of his own skin when the bells go off. Everything happens so fast as the people jump up going for weapons. He's taking the time to check the doors and then his equipment. When the barkeep mentions enemies in town he goes for his equipment not content to leave Renithsar, sidestepping the table deftly and with ease. He throws his pack and quiver over his right shoulder as he grabs the bow with his left hand and darts for the doors after Felicity using the most clear path available. He's not content to let Felicity go out there alone without some help.

Armor Class: 3 (Base 10, Chain Mail 5, Dex -2)
Mental Armor Class: 10 (Base 10, Int +0)
Hit Points: 29

Beraias
2014-04-10, 09:16 AM
Rin stood when the bell sounded for Enemies approaching, and she went to the rim outside the tavern to look about for an enemy. After all, if it was soliders of her kingdom, then she would not help at all, but woe betide those that were not. She had no love for monsters and bandits, for those threatened her kingdom as well. She hadn't said a single word to the other girls, and frankly had no mind to either. Rin wasn't the social type, she was trained for war and combat, not making friends, nor had she been ordered to act like a lost child either.

AliyaStormwrack
2014-04-10, 03:42 PM
Jewel let out that squeal she'd repressed when Kimi picked her up, returning the taller woman's embrace, settling herself into the chair when she was finally put down. She inclined her head to the other halfling, and then let out a laugh at his question. "Knight? Pft. Hardly. I'm a mentalist of some skill actually," she said, drawing herself up rather proudly.

When the bells rang, though, her chin came up, and she glanced at Kimi. "Well that sounds like trouble. What say we go see if we can help deal with that?" she said, and scrambled out of the chair, bolting for the door herself.

AC 7
MAC 6
HP 18
PSPs 34

Lunawuff
2014-04-13, 11:44 AM
Katarina

The brunette monk let out a soft chuckle at the halfling's mostly correct guess as to her true nature. Not that she was going to confirm it for him.. she didn't really like her first impressions on people to include her upbringing it, it often led to expectations that that the young woman was neither able nor willing to live up to.

"Good sir, we are here to discuss the formation of an adventuring company. I don't think it was to be specifically a girls only proposition..." she added with a soft giggle.

----------

When the bell rang and the presence of enemies was announced, Katarina leaped to her feet. She reached into her pack as she ran, fixing on a wicked looking gauntlet over her right hand, then sprinting and leaping off the boat if she had to. She didn't turn to see if the other girls were with her, but if she knew Kimimi half as well as she hoped she did, she knew that she didn't have to.

Khadavla
2014-04-13, 12:35 PM
Group 1: Hais, Jewel, Katarinam Rin

The next few moments were particularly confusing. It was a testament to elven grace that Hais was able to get out the door with his pack shouldered and an arrow knocked before the mists swallowed sight of Felicity completely. As he hurried after the girl, he found that Katarina was moving along the boardwalk with him. Rin and Jewel, both somewhat confused by the dark and the mists, managed to mistake Katarina for Kimimi 'til all four of them had turned off of the boardwalk and onto a trail leading south towards the temple to Chaunteah.

They didn't get far before enemies loomed out of the mists, coming between them and Felicy. There were six of them, the shortest of them 6'3 and most of them half a head taller than that! Their shoulders were broad and their bodies were thick. They wore heavy leather pants and boots and mail clinked bellow crude surcoats, reinforced with assorted iron shoulder and knee guards. Their faces were furry, with wide mouths on muzzles. Their narrow eyes gleamed golden in the dim light. Wide, triangular ears with tufts of blood red fur twitched like those of massive foxes. The four in front carried round bronze shields of the type called targe and heavy clubs full of iron spikes. The two behind them carried steel halberds with oak shafts. They gave delighted hoots with a smattering of some crude goblin language as they moved in, more or less holding their formation, hungry for blood!

http://www.perverseosmosis.com/wp-content/uploads/hobgoblin.jpg

Even in this confusing element they weren't fast enough to strike before the young heroes had a chance to act first...

Our enemies are hobgoblins. They come into view 20 feet ahead of Hais and Katarina, 25 ahead of Jewel and Rin. So no one will have any trouble closing with them if they wish to fight hand to hand. Maneuvering around the hobgoblin formation will be trickier. There’s a carpentry shop on one side, a stable on the other. Going around them shouldn't take too long, but in the dark and the fog, what else might obstruct your path?

I have rolled initiative on your behalf—using Hais's dexterity bonus—and we act first. Unless for some reason Hais wouldn't be running with an arrow knocked, he gets that attack as well.

Each round indicates about a minute of combat, but that's very fluid. Basicly, a round describes quite a bit of maneuvering and trading blows to set up for one or two good shots, not just a few thrusts and parries as in later editions.

The hobgoblins with shields have AC4. Those without have AC 5, but are behind a shield wall! Subtract that number from your Thac0 with your attack form of choice. If you roll that number or higher, you hit. A natural 20 will also allow you to roll your damage dice twice.

Writing for group two next!

Beraias
2014-04-13, 01:00 PM
Rin would looked at her companions and speak rather flatly. "You go back inside, I'll handle this." She said as she murmured a spell, all at once she would seem to Double, Triple! Quadruple! Until many of herself were stood in an arch of 15 ft from the enemy in a semi circle pattern. She would then begin reading herself for another spell.

[there's only 4 of her, Khadavla rolled for me]

Vertharrad
2014-04-13, 02:11 PM
Catching sight of the enemies Hais looses an arrow at one of the closer shield bearers.
att [roll0] 11-3=8ac miss dmg [roll1]
After firing he slows down to take his next shots at the 2 halberd wielders.
att [roll2] 11-9=2ac hit dmg [roll3]
att [roll4] 11-17=-6ac hit dmg [roll5]
move 60ft around the obstacle but still in Felicitys general direction

He's reaching back for another arrow as he tries to circumvent the unit of enemies.

Armor Class: 3 (Base 10, Chain Mail 5, Dex -2)
Mental Armor Class: 10 (Base 10, Int +0)
Hit Points: 29

Khadavla
2014-04-13, 03:40 PM
Tag Jewel and Katarina

The hobgoblins had a moment to gloat when the first one caught an arow on his shield.

The gloating didn't last long. First, they noted what they'd originally taken for little morethan a chidl—surely easy prey—call upon the power of magic to multiply into four.

Then, the elf buried an arrow into the heart of one halberd wielder and the throat of another. No sooner had he left them with only four opponents than did the elf fade back into the night and start his way around the barn. The only reason they didn't break on the spot is that—thouhg there were apparently six opponents remaining, all were girls and none bore much in the way of armor or weapons—the largest of them brought nothing to the fight but a single gauntlet!

AliyaStormwrack
2014-04-15, 12:05 AM
And their day got even worse, as the tiny halfling girl with the red hair skidded to a stop, pointed at the largest of the group, and a cruel grin crossed her face. "Time to crack open that skull," she hissed, as she curled her hand into a fist, a faint shimmer of cerulean blue light flicking across her eyes.

AC 7
MAC 6
HP 18
PSPs 34 (Setting aside four as the minimum for Psychic Crush)

Khadavla
2014-04-15, 01:43 AM
Group 2: Kevemain, Kimimi, Sarah, Summer

Kev and the other girls were just the slightest bit slower out into the night, getting through the door along with the barkeep. That man had a heavy axe in his hand, but it was his intent to cut the moorings with it, not go looking for a fight...

Turning down the boardwalk towards the ropes, he pulled up short with a startled cry as a leather lash from out of the mist laid open his cheek. The bloodied barkeep staggered back as three hobgoglins appeared on the boardwalk between himself and the moorings—two in front, one further back.

Four other hobgoblins loomed slowly out of the mist on the road in front of the board walk!

Khadavla
2014-05-04, 03:33 AM
Group 3: Hais

As the elflord backed up, the mist swallowed him.

Moving deftly through the mist, he went around the stable in an attempt to get past the hobgoblin blockade.

Up ahead, Hais heard a horse wicker in rage, accompanied by the snorting of several others. Up ahead he could make out three hobgoblins standing in front of the stables, two holding halberds at the ready, the third with his morning star on his belt and a dagger in each boot. He had both hands on the reigns of a beautiful white mare and was trying to wrestle her out into the night.

Vertharrad
2014-05-04, 03:45 AM
Enraged by the mistreatment of a animal by these monsters Hais stops, calmly drawing an arrow he fires in quick succession starting with the one that had ahold of the horse he fires at each hobgoblin.
sacrificing his movement Hais speeds up his rof
att [roll0] 11-15=-4ac dmg [roll1]
att [roll2] 11-19=-8ac dmg [roll3]
att [roll4] 11-14=-3ac dmg [roll5]