PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Blood Money + Spell-Scars

Vanitas
2014-02-26, 05:08 AM
One of my players took Spell-Scars (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/spell-scars-ex) as one of his arcana and decided to use Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money) with it. My first reading was that it didn't work, but I liked the idea so I let it work anyway.

I'm reading it again and I'm not sure if it works or not. In one hand, Blood Money does not work on magical items, but spell-scars are not really magical items. In the other hand, Blood Money specifically mentions material components, but then goes out to point out it doesn't work on magical items (and they don't need material componentes). So what I get from that is that Blood Money works on spells and other stuff that requires costly components, except magical items. I could see using Blood Money for standard crafting, for example. I'm still not sure how it would go with Spell-Scar.

I think the RAW here is pretty clear - it only works in spells, since only spells have material components. The RAI looks very clear in what the author wanted to accomplish, though, and the secondary effects are hardly gamebreaking. The only possible abuse would be the corner case with Spell-Scars (which is totally not a scroll) and even that is nothing to write home about.

I've already decided what I'm doing in my game, but this looks like an interesting subject. Thoughts on this?

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-26, 10:13 AM
No, it does not work.

1st
Blood money makes material components for spells, not magic items. Making spell-scars are exactly like making a scroll.

2nd
The blood money material components last for 1 round. Not the 8 hours needed to scribe a scroll

Miss Disaster
2014-02-26, 01:18 PM
No, it does not work.

1st
Blood money makes material components for spells, not magic items. Making spell-scars are exactly like making a scroll.

2nd
The blood money material components last for 1 round. Not the 8 hours needed to scribe a scrollThe Blood Money quote is this:

"When you cast another spell in that same round, your blood transforms into one material component of your choice required by that second spell."

Meaning, that "another spell" can have a casting time of 1 Standard Action or 10 Minutes" ... as long as you start casting that "another spell" in the same round.

Barstro
2014-02-26, 03:13 PM
The Blood Money quote is this:

"When you cast another spell in that same round, your blood transforms into one material component of your choice required by that second spell."

Meaning, that "another spell" can have a casting time of 1 Standard Action or 10 Minutes" ... as long as you start casting that "another spell" in the same round.

Ah, so you think that "cast" means "start" and not "complete". Interesting.

I agree with you. But I can see a DM stating otherwise.