PDA

View Full Version : Precision Damage + Wildshape

Blkmge
2014-02-26, 06:06 AM
I've been wondering at the best way to get precision damage onto either a druid or a wildshape ranger.

I think the easiest and most effective way would be Swift Hunter with a Scout/WS Ranger, but I'm also wondering if going Daggerspell Shaper would be a great way to boost SA attacks. I figure natural attacks are easier, feat-wise than the TWF route. I don't look at it as weakening a druid but boosting a rogue / scout.

Kesnit
2014-02-26, 06:38 AM
I've been wondering at the best way to get precision damage onto either a druid or a wildshape ranger.

I think the easiest and most effective way would be Swift Hunter with a Scout/WS Ranger, but I'm also wondering if going Daggerspell Shaper would be a great way to boost SA attacks.

I played a Daggerspell Shaper in a recent campaign. It was fun, but if you are looking for SA, you aren't going to get a lot. 2d6 at LVL 9, adding 1d6 every 3 levels.

I figure natural attacks are easier, feat-wise than the TWF route. I don't look at it as weakening a druid but boosting a rogue / scout.

Note that if you go the DSS route, you have to take TWF.

Wacky89
2014-02-26, 06:52 AM
a way to get precision damage on a druid is going into Master of Many forms, you get humanoid wildshape at 1st level. Then u can use this form:
- dark stalker (FF; af, cf): Nice stats and +3d6 sneak attack make this both a good combat as well as adventuring form. 3 HD, medium humanoid, 14str, 17dex, 13con, 2 natural armor, poison use, sneak attack 3d6

Blkmge
2014-02-26, 07:19 AM
I played a Daggerspell Shaper in a recent campaign. It was fun, but if you are looking for SA, you aren't going to get a lot. 2d6 at LVL 9, adding 1d6 every 3 levels.

Note that if you go the DSS route, you have to take TWF.

I was thinking Rogue 3, Ranger 5, DSS 9, Avenger 1, Swordsage 2.8d6 SA at 20 isn't that bad, with 10 uses of wild shape per day.. AlsoTWF is one feat, rogue needs at least ITWF and if they can get it GTWF as well. Does snap kick trigger off natural attacks?

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-26, 09:23 AM
Snap kick triggers once after any standard or full round attack, regardless of weapon used.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-26, 10:05 AM
Martial Study (any Shadow Hand), Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance), and Craven will get you 2d6+level sneak attack damage for no lost levels.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-26, 10:12 AM
Snap kick triggers once after any standard or full round attack, regardless of weapon used.

You still need IUS first, which isn't a bad feat on Wildshapers (kung fu bears!) in any case, but depending on your build you might not be able to spare the feats.

Martial Study (any Shadow Hand), Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance), and Craven will get you 2d6+level sneak attack damage for no lost levels.

Limited to levels 15+ (earliest level you can pick up Craven with that set up) and some people argue that Assassin's stance doesn't qualify you for Craven since it specify "sneak attack class feature" on the pre-requiste lines; it isn't a bad idea, but if I'm going to focus on wildshaping I'd suck up the lost CL and dip Swordsage for a level or 2, which also gets you some pretty neat stuff. Cloak of deception and Distracting ember guarantee 2 full attacks worth of sneak attack per encounter at the least.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-26, 10:15 AM
Another thing to note, there are magic enhancements to improve your sneak attack, and they apply to your wild shape natural attacks with daggerspell shaper. Not a bad idea if you go that route.

eggynack
2014-02-26, 10:18 AM
a way to get precision damage on a druid is going into Master of Many forms, you get humanoid wildshape at 1st level. Then u can use this form:
- dark stalker (FF; af, cf): Nice stats and +3d6 sneak attack make this both a good combat as well as adventuring form. 3 HD, medium humanoid, 14str, 17dex, 13con, 2 natural armor, poison use, sneak attack 3d6
I would skip the MoMF level, and instead pick up the seventh fangshields druid substitution level (CV, 40), which lets you take on medium humanoid forms. Fancy stuff.

Blkmge
2014-02-26, 10:35 AM

Pounce, full attack, snap kick with SA?
Could make a venomfire more scary...

Blkmge
2014-02-27, 03:22 PM
I'm wondering if..
R4/WS Ranger 5/SS 2/DSS 9 is really worth it compared to
R1/D8/SS1/DSS10.

The first has better saves/hit along with skills, HP and stat synergy, while the latter has access to level 9 spells (granted only 1 +WIS a day).