PDA

View Full Version : Could Miko become a Corrupt Avenger?

Tokiko Mima
2007-01-31, 12:51 PM
From http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=review&reviewid=3046572

The Corrupt Avenger is very much like a prestige class version of the paladin or ranger. Affected by taint, the corrupt avenger will do anything to bring down those who threaten what he or she loves. The result is quite interesting.

The class has a full base attack, d12 hit dice, the minor use of arcane spells, which can be cast in light armour, a "favoured enemy" bonus against a sworn foe, and - as the name implies - they've been (moderately) affected by taint, which they can suppress the physical manifestations of on their person. The alignment restriction is "non-evil", so a member of this class has fallen from purity, but is still on the right side of the battle.

d12 Hit dice always makes me pay attention to balance issues; however, as their spellcasting requires light armour, this does seem reasonable. I rather like their Frightful Fury and Unnerving Fury abilities, which cause their foes within 30 feet to become shaken or unnerved; I rather wish the regular Intimidate skill was as useful as these abilities. There's even provision for fallen paladins to enter this class. This is nice to see.

I see Miko heading down this path. She's never been selfish, or obsessed with her own power, but she does seem to follow causes and ignore the more human aspects of problem solving. What do you think? Just like Blackguard, this class returns some of her old Paladin powers back, in a more twisted form.

Raxtenko
2007-01-31, 01:01 PM
Ooohhh now I see tis one as a real possibility. Still nominally on the the side of good, and still able to issue out a butt stomping to the order if she has to. Hehe.

TroyXavier
2007-01-31, 01:05 PM
I mentioned it in another thread that the class would be perfect for her.

Tokiko Mima
2007-01-31, 01:15 PM
Yeah! It's essentially a "Paladin of Vengeance," which seems to to be the path she's been courting ever since Roy told her off.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-31, 01:29 PM
When has she been exposed to taint?

TinSoldier
2007-01-31, 01:31 PM
When has she been exposed to taint?Heh. That makes me think of the song "Tainted Love" :wink: !

Hmm. Since the class is neither SRD nor Rich's own homebrew I doubt that he would use it.

eof
2007-01-31, 01:32 PM
I seem to recall that I mentioned the suitability at some point. *Checks* Yeah, I did. The problem is that the Corrupt Avenger needs the corruption mechanic, falling isn't enough. And there doesn't seem to be any corruption (the mechanic) in OotSland.

Some version of it is certainly possible, and I think that might suit Miko better than paladinhood, and certainly better than blackguard.

Duke of URL
2007-01-31, 01:33 PM
Looks reasonable to me. I would imagine that the "sworn foe" would be the OotS, too. :)

RobbyPants
2007-01-31, 01:43 PM
When has she been exposed to taint?
That would be my question too...

I could see Blackgaurd, but to be a Corrupted Avenger, you need at least a moderate level of corruption (which is a pretty high score). Plus she isn't showing any signs of it (physical deformities, namely).

Tokiko Mima
2007-01-31, 05:32 PM
But you will admit that she could possibly have a high depravity score? I mean, she did just finish an encounter with Xylon, and undead do tend to be tainted.

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-31, 05:32 PM
Her taint wouldn't be that high, not after such brief exposure.

consul
2007-01-31, 08:15 PM
Her taint wouldn't be that high, not after such brief exposure.

She's just a stick figure, her taint is nearly invisible. :smallsigh:

dragongirl13
2007-01-31, 10:10 PM
She's more likely to go Blackguard, seeing as she's kind of a cliche character. No wonder Roy doesn't like her anymore. And Blackguard has a rather obvious ex-paladins become blackguards cliche to it.

RobbyPants
2007-02-01, 09:49 AM
But you will admit that she could possibly have a high depravity score? I mean, she did just finish an encounter with Xylon, and undead do tend to be tainted.
Undead tend to give you corruption, not deparavity. You need corruption to become a corrupt avanger, not just either type of taint.

Angela Christine
2007-02-01, 10:57 AM
Could her encounter with the CitD have given her cooties corruption? We don't know what the CitD is, but chances are it is bad.

spectheintro
2007-02-01, 02:21 PM
She's just a stick figure, her taint is nearly invisible. :smallsigh:

That literally made me laugh out loud in my office. And then I was filled with shame at my own crude nature.:smalltongue:

Silverlocke980
2007-02-01, 06:24 PM
I doubt Miko will go Blackguard. Too obvious.

Mr. Burlew loves the great plots, he does, he does. He'll do something so unexpected we'll all be like "WHOA that rox."

And we will be glad for it, too!