PDA

View Full Version : Weird and wonderful custom magic item ideas

TuggyNE
2014-02-26, 08:23 AM
Suppose you manage somehow to get past the dysfunctionality of Brew Potion and figure out a way to make magic oils. Suppose further you decide, for reasons known only to yourself, to use grease as the spell of choice.

What does this very peculiar substance do? Why, it's an oil … that makes things greasy … with magic.

THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES! You could smear it on your armor to get out of grapples! You could splash it on floors to make people trip! You could cook the best bacon ever!

Yeah, I don't even know, but I thought this was too good to pass up.

Seffbasilisk
2014-02-26, 08:31 AM
You mean Salve of Slipperiness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#salveofSlipperiness)?

Alternatively, there does exist a substance...you know..grease? Rub it on for the filthy-hobo vibe in ditching high-society hobnobs.

Segev
2014-02-26, 08:51 AM
The Ring of Greater Visibility is a gaudy knuckle-ring made of gold and studded with rubies around its whole girth, save for the enormous emerald on top with a tiny diamond chip in the middle of its face.

When one puts it on and is invisible, it makes them visible. If one was already visible, there's no effect from putting it on. Any time anybody takes it off, however, they are affected by Greater Invisibility. Even if it is suppressed or dispelled, it recasts itself the next round.

This item has a secret cult following it, who covetously guard it for the brief turns they get to take putting it on to interact with the world normally once more.

Vhaidara
2014-02-26, 09:06 AM
Specifically a cult of invisible stalkers.

Segev
2014-02-26, 09:07 AM
Specifically a cult of invisible stalkers.

That could work, too. The original idea was for people who'd unwittingly donned it (or purposefully donned it for its power and regretted it) and now who long to be visible...and will work with their fellow cultists for just their turn with it.

Vhaidara
2014-02-26, 09:08 AM
Oh, it's a permanent Greater Invis. I thought it was just a dispel resistant invis that ran out it's normal duration.

leon666
2014-02-26, 11:00 AM
A bit childish and I never actually tried to do it but a few years back I had the idea to create a travelling salesman (wizard) who sold and manufactured small magic orbs which when thrown on the ground whilst a command word is said produce a creature that would fight for the orbs owner.

The orbs would vary in price based on the HD of the encapsuled creature. Perhaps "empty orbs" could be bought to capture new creatures up to a certain HD.

Probably been done before though.

Telonius
2014-02-26, 11:35 AM
Use-activated Knock effect, centered on a doorknob. :smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2014-02-26, 02:08 PM
Pills of gender-changing:these medicine pills identify as being pills of cure critical wounds, though under detect magic they emit a weak transmutation instead of moderate conjuration. When consumed in any way,they reverse the gender of the consumer. Usually used as minor pranks by frat wizards.

Telonius
2014-02-26, 02:17 PM
I didn't come up with this one, but...

Goggles
They do nothing.
Faint illusion; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, magic aura; Price 2000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-26, 02:21 PM
Tuning Forks of Sonorous Hum?

Carry a bag full of these, have as many silent images, detects, etc as you want on at any given moment!

TheMonocleRogue
2014-02-26, 02:47 PM
The indestructible rod. A rod that never breaks and can't be destroyed by anything less than a wish or miracle spell.

It is capable of passing through spheres of annihilation without being affected. It can shrug of disintegrate spells and any spell that damages or destroys objects. Sunder attempts automatically fail, and any creature attempting to break the rod with strength checks fails to do so.

LarwisTheElf
2014-02-26, 03:07 PM
Alchemist's Sheath: a magical sheath that resizes to fit a person's specific weapon. As a move action they can sheath their weapon and attempt to magically coat it in a desired alchemical substance. They must succeed on a Craft:Alchemy check to create the desired substance though; failure means the substance is not created. The substance on the weapon disappears if it is scrapped off, and you cannot create a substance if there is no weapon sheathed.

Basically, it would make alchemy more useful at higher levels. And it would mean that you don't need to carry a ton of alchemical items with you.

TuggyNE
2014-02-26, 09:19 PM
Lots of amusing ideas — awesome!

You mean Salve of Slipperiness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#salveofSlipperiness)?

Loosely, though a lesser version, obviously.

falloutimperial
2014-02-26, 09:45 PM
I made a custom item to try to keep the one-trick fighter more generally varied. It was a breastplate of a strange dark green stone that bore the names of every fighter who owned it. There was one space left and when he donned it, his name appeared.

Essentially, a wearer can trade three fighter bonus feats for assuming part of the persona of a previous user. Most provided other feats and combat abilities, all had mental quirks, and a couple had their minds set on capturing the fighter's body.

Dimers
2014-02-27, 12:17 AM
Elven mithril bell earrings -- just a fancy-looking slotless item with a bonus to Listen checks.

A held item, maybe a rod, that can be used to add an extra independent head to a summoned creature that has a bite attack, granting it an extra one when it full-attacks. Originally, this was a druid-specific trident that ran off the old Family Circus pun about a fork having four tines, so this one with three tines must be a threek ... I called it the Threek Of Nature.

Artificer's Thinking Cap gives a straight Int bonus, plus insight bonuses for alchemy, disable device, knowledge: engineering, open lock, and AC vs. constructs.

The One-Way Mantlet: a tower shield that allows vision and arrows/bolts to pass one way each, providing no cover to those on the receiving end.

Sucking Bottle – useful for catching gaseous foes, reducing cloudkills, collapsing helpless foes' lungs. Noisy.

Quiver of Drawing - caster level 7th, Craft Arms & Armor, Craft Wondrous, unseen servant, leomund's secret chest, haste. 12000 gp market (=480xp). Weight 4 lbs.

This quiver can hold objects in an extradimensional space, much like a heward’s handy haversack or a bag of holding, and is similarly vulnerable to other extradimensional spaces. As with the haversack, an item desired comes readily to hand. Unlike the bag, this can't be pierced from the inside. The quiver of drawing can hold only projectiles, not even thrown weapons: arrows, bolts, blowdarts, shuriken, or sling stones/bullets. It can hold 500 projectiles total.

If a character with the Rapid Shot feat is drawing missiles from the quiver, the speed with which the missile jumps to her hand allows her the choice to make two extra attacks instead of one, at -5 to each attack made that round instead of -2. A character with Improved Rapid Shot feat suffers only a -3 to each attack. A character firing multiple shots as a standard or partial action with the Manyshot feat has her attack penalty reduced by one (i.e., -4 becomes -3). These modifications are the result of the missiles' speed, not the character's, and therefore will stack with a haste spell or similar effects.

A quiver of drawing does not count against the limit on magic items worn, though only one magic quiver may be worn at a time. A quiver of drawing which has been temporarily negated or is in a nonmagical area is empty. If a quiver is made permanently nonmagical or is physically broken, all remaining projectiles spew out in a torrent, dealing 2d6 damage to all creatures within 10 feet. This damage includes all types dealt by the items that were within it, usually all piercing or all bludgeoning.

The Trickster
2014-02-27, 01:06 AM
My friend came up with the "Forget-Me Stick". Basically, you would touch someone with this stick, and the target would forget about the previous 1d4 rounds. Eventually, it became an artifact.

Needless to say, it was an OP item, but a silly one, none the less.

MadGreenSon
2014-02-27, 02:23 AM
The PCs in my current game are doing "beta testing" for a fun little magic item that's basically a combo of the Mirrors of Communication and Slate Folio from Dragon #327 page 68.

Basically they're magical PDA/Videophone combos that store books for reference and allow long distance communication. I'm still coming up with amusing "bugs" for the items to have as they are the first of their kind created by the Artificer in question, and harassing the players with amusing problems is half the fun of DMing.:smallsmile:

Either way, that plus the regular performance reports oughta get some good mileage out of these weird and wonderful devices.

Now, am I mean enough to take them away once an arbitrary period (long enough for them to get used to them) of testing is over? :biggrin:

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-27, 02:32 AM
My DM is making the Rings from Dark Souls for a new campaign, and one interesting one is the Hornet Ring: Increases weapon threat range by 1, boosts critical multiplier by 1.

There is also the Lion Ring, which boosts Attack and Damage rolls by 2 for piercing weapons.

TuggyNE
2014-02-27, 02:54 AM
My friend came up with the "Forget-Me Stick". Basically, you would touch someone with this stick, and the target would forget about the previous 1d4 rounds. Eventually, it became an artifact.

Tie a loop of rope on the end in the crude shape of a flower and call it the Forget-Me-Knot. I regret nothing!

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-27, 03:04 AM
Tie a loop of rope on the end in the crude shape of a flower and call it the Forget-Me-Knot. I regret nothing!

OWWWWWWW. So many levels of pun...

A cool item I once made was a sword that blocked and destroyed magic, magic enchantments, and magic items, and had a ranged attack that only hurt casters. Perfect for mundanes who want to level the playing field in a High Magic campaign.

IIzak
2014-02-27, 10:10 AM
A bit childish and I never actually tried to do it but a few years back I had the idea to create a travelling salesman (wizard) who sold and manufactured small magic orbs which when thrown on the ground whilst a command word is said produce a creature that would fight for the orbs owner.

The orbs would vary in price based on the HD of the encapsuled creature. Perhaps "empty orbs" could be bought to capture new creatures up to a certain HD.

Probably been done before though.

Can't believe no one has done this yet but...

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL... POKÉMON!

leon666
2014-02-27, 11:21 AM
Can't believe no one has done this yet but...

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL... POKÉMON!

I know right! I've been lurking and waiting for some kind of response ^^

Now to actually design these properly by the rules and make a campaign setting with gym leaders and the like with the head of the elite 4 Being the wizard who created the orbs in the first place... And to think that I had the audacity to ask for help designing a solo campaign for my buddy.

RedMage125
2014-02-27, 01:16 PM
I have a magic item shop in my world, in the city of Melchiah, the trade hub of my world. IN the bazaar, there is a shop called "Crazy Hakeem's Discount Magic. No Refunds!". Hakeem was a wacky merchant with Skill Focus: Bluff,a decent CHA score, and max ranks of Bluff (Level 5 or 6 Expert). In-character, he was an excitable, friendly individual who spoke in a middle-eastern/Indian accent. He sold terrible, shoddy goods (like "potions of cure moderate" that were potions of cure light, or that were at CL 0 and only cured 2d8+0). He claimed to have "invisble ring", but Alas! He cannot find it.

On a less humorous note, I actually made a custom magic item for my wizard last time I played one. They were a set of spectacles that allowed me to cast Detect Magic at will, Analyze Dweomer 3/day, and Legend Lore 1/day. I called them Goggles of Arcane Sight.

lunar2
2014-02-27, 02:02 PM
in one campaign i DMed, i gave the item crafting cleric a mace that did no damage, but instead stole 1d100 exp per hit, to be used for crafting only. of course, he didn't realize it, but this was actually to make the party weaker, because he was too busy whacking enemies for XP to do anything useful. i managed to clear off a couple of NPCs the party had managed to gather over the course of the campaign (4 fighters from a deck of many things, 3 diplomanced wyrmling white dragons, an awakened dire badger, and a half dragon grey elf wizard, among other things). iirc, i got two of the fighters and the badger.

Rijan_Sai
2014-02-27, 07:17 PM
I have a magic item shop in my world, in the city of Melchiah, the trade hub of my world. IN the bazaar, there is a shop called "Crazy Hakeem's Discount Magic. No Refunds!". Hakeem was a wacky merchant with Skill Focus: Bluff,a decent CHA score, and max ranks of Bluff (Level 5 or 6 Expert). In-character, he was an excitable, friendly individual who spoke in a middle-eastern/Indian accent. He sold terrible, shoddy goods (like "potions of cure moderate" that were potions of cure light, or that were at CL 0 and only cured 2d8+0). He claimed to have "invisble ring", but Alas! He cannot find it.

Now why does that sound incredibly familiar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfEYvem3IM)? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, I fully intend to have this guy somewhere in my own campaign world!