PDA

View Full Version : Crypt of the Everflame IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

u-b
2014-02-26, 08:56 AM
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/Junior_Martyr/Pathfinder%20-%20The%20Price%20of%20Immortality/Intro_zpsbcd9cf5d.jpg

It is the fourth day of Neth (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Neth#Months), and the winter winds are beginning to blow. On this day, nearly two centuries ago, Ekat Kassen and his men set out from the town to defeat Asar Vergas and his band of mercenaries. That tale is etched into the mind of each man, woman and child born and raised in Kassen, and is the cornerstone of the town's identity.

Having spent the morning preparing in your own way, you now await the summons to the centre of town at noon, from where you will begin your quest. Finally, the bells atop of the Temple of Erastil (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Erastil) toll their midday song, echoing through the quiet town. As the peals begin to fade, the first of the townsfolk make their way into the square, dressed in black, as if attending a funeral. They slowly fill the square, moving quietly across the cold, hard ground, their eyes downcast and mournful. After a few moments, a murmur passes through the crowd as it slowly parts to let Mayor Uptal through. He leads the way with a tarnished silver lantern. Behind him, an old pony drags a cart laden with backpacks and supplies.

Once he reaches the centre of the crowd, Mayor Uptal stops and calls out to the assembled townsfolk.

"Once again the winter winds blow through the Fangwood, marking the end of another harvest. There are wolves in the woods, howling at our walls, and serpents in our shadows, waiting to strike. Just as it was a hundred and seventy four years ago, when Kassen himself left these walls to protect us, so it is today. Where are the heroes? Where are the brave folk that will venture out to Kassen's tomb and retrieve the flame to keep this community safe for another winter?"

The mayor pauses, looking at you.

Smileybastard
2014-02-26, 11:59 AM
Thomas excitedly raises his hand and steps forward with a big smile. This is what he has waited for, for so long. A little excitement!

Kadiith
2014-02-26, 12:59 PM
Taes casts a swift glance at the large gathering as he, too, steps forward. He looks over to Thomas and shoots him a small, nervous smile before fixing his gaze back to Mayor Uptal.

fendrin
2014-02-26, 02:34 PM
Ruhk

Ruhk hobbles out of the crowd, looking somewhat less than excited.

"Aye, aye, I'm here."
Let's get this farce over and done with so I can get back to more important things.

kailkay
2014-02-27, 08:32 AM
Turor pulls his poncho over his shoulders a little more closely and steps forward with a furrowed brow. Beneath the poncho, he clutches the wooden pendant of Torag that he has so often prayed with, for clarity, guidance, strength and endurance. Today, he prays for a warm wind to blow.

"I will go." He keeps his chin high, and steps boldly to the front of the gathering.

u-b
2014-02-27, 08:49 AM
As you declare your intent and step forward, one by one, mayor keeps a solemn look on his face and slowly nods in approval.

"Your task won't be an easy one. We have prepared some supplies to help you with this quest." - waves towards the cart - "But first, who will you nominate to carry the lantern? Who will have the honor to light it with the flame?" - he holds up the tarnished silver lantern he is carrying and waits for you to answer.

Smileybastard
2014-02-27, 08:55 AM
Thomas

Thomas turns and looks at the other volunteers and scratches his chin. "Hmm. I was gonna say Turor, but ... I think I will nominate ... Ruhk."

u-b
2014-02-27, 09:06 AM
Mayor blinks. Then blinks. Then looks at Ruhk, at Turor and then at all of you at once, waiting (or, rather, hoping) for more replies.

fendrin
2014-02-27, 09:28 AM
Ruhk

Ruhk blinks. Then blinks. Then looks at the Mayor, at Turor and then at all of you at once, waiting (or, rather, hoping) for more replies.

That mischievous brat. I'm sick of his jibes.

"Well, I suppose if nobody wants it..."

He snaps his fingers and a small flame no bigger than a candle's appears at the end of his index finger.

"...I could just light it here and now and be done with it."

He laughs, a course and somewhat disturbing sound, and points at Thomas with his flaming finger.

"No, no, you should have the honor, Thomas, for all the good you've done this town."

The words 'honor' and 'good' are laced with more than a little sarcasm.

kailkay
2014-02-27, 09:37 AM
"Yes, Ruhk will carry the lantern, and we will protect him along the way." Turor definitely takes this quest, like all such duties, seriously, with solemnity in his voice and written on his face.

Kadiith
2014-02-27, 09:46 AM
Taes

Taes sighs lightly, looking at his bickering...companions, then inclining his head toward Turor. "I would vote for Turor." He raises a shoulder in a slight shrug.

Smileybastard
2014-02-27, 09:58 AM
Thomas

Thomas makes a show of thinking. "I did put a lot of thought into my nomination. I would not be very good at carrying it as I am more of a hands on guy and a lantern would be in my way. I thought of nominating Turor as I felt he would take the honor most seriously, but he needs both hands to fight."

Kadiith
2014-02-27, 10:22 AM
Taes

"Must the one who is to light it be the one to carry it? I could carry it until he needs it to light, and then by that point most dangers between there and here should be gone. If a fight comes to pass, he could always fasten it onto his pack."

Moranica
2014-02-27, 02:19 PM
Suddenly, running is heard and Filiberd comes running up to the group.

"Sorry I'm late, I was .... I couldn't ..... well, I'm here now, I am.", he blurts out.

He nods to Turor and the others, and then eyes the lantern.

Then he says: "I'll help protect the lantern carrier, whoever it is."

"And I might add, I'm already packed as it is."

kailkay
2014-02-27, 06:20 PM
Turor

"I'm flattered that you would nominate me, had I free hands to hold the lantern. As serious an honour as it is (and in fact should be taken!) I feel like I should be best put to use protecting the lantern carrier as we go along, especially if there is to be fighting."

The dwarf runs a few fingers through his beard, and looks up from the conversation to the mayor, wondering just how much they've over-analyzed the honor of taking the lantern.

"Although perhaps it was rhetoric, and we are supposed to say 'we shall take the lantern to light at Kassen's fire' and the logistics are entirely up to us, and perhaps don't need to be discussed in front of this crowd of citizens."

Moranica
2014-02-28, 04:09 AM
"You speak true words, sir paladin."

Then Filiberd rights his back and get his act together, changing his voice from a youngling to the practiced voice of a bard. (using inspire courage to boost the effect)

"Dear mayor, it is this group of fine warriors and followers of the magical arts that will take this burden and bring it to succesful completion. Just as Ekan Kassen did so many years ago, as well as the groups before us. The winter cold will not freeze the tracks and wolves or serpents will find no meal. All obstacles will be overcome and all dangers will be faced with high spirit's. The people from this town deserve it, and have nourished that spirit in this groups upbringing. We shall return, carrying the flame. Wait for us, expect us and it will not go in vain."

"And now, let us depart." Next, Filiberd turns to the group. "Remember this, for it was Ravid Blackson who already said: 'Adventure is not outside man; it is within."

Perform (storytelling) for fun [roll0]
A sense motive may reveal that the reference "this group fine warriors and follower of the magical arts", doesn't include himself.

u-b
2014-02-28, 10:10 AM
There was a grumble spreading through the crowd of spectators after Ruhk's mordacity*, but then when Filiberd made his speach the crowd hushed up and finally burst with cheers and applause.

"Very true words, mister Dudley, so very true! While some of you may not return, but your sacrifice shall not be forgotten."

Mayor Uptal slowly approaches and hands the lantern to... Ruhk, finally. Though you can see he would be more happy to give it to Filiberd. Or Turor. Or... well, you get the idea. Then he addresses all of you.

"Please don't forget to take the supplies we have prepared for you. You will need them on your quest. Then go, brave heroes, and do not return until you have the eternal fire!"

With that, the mayor points to the south, the direction of Kassen’s tomb. The townsfolk begin waving goodbye with cold, solemn looks on most of their faces.

*Make DC20 listen check to hear some crones muttering about "nowadays", "young men" and "respect"... or rather don't. If you have ever met muttering crones, you can pretty well guess what they were talking about.

Smileybastard
2014-02-28, 10:18 AM
Thomas

Smirking at Filiberd's words Thomas moves towards the cart wondering if his own preparedness was a waste. He comforted himself with the thought that they would not have thought of many things he had. He smiles and pat the pony as they passed to look into the cart.

u-b
2014-02-28, 10:32 AM
In the cart Thomas sees four medium-sized backpacks and one small-sized backpack. Apart from the size, the backpacks look similar. It seems they all contain something, though you will have to open a backpack to see what's inside.

Let's call them backpacks 1 through 5, with 5th being smaller than the rest.

Moranica
2014-02-28, 10:33 AM
Filiberd seems to just feel happy with himself after dropping such a famous quote , at such an opportune moment. It is Thomas's movement that draws him away from his little moment "glory" and back to the harsh reality. He mutters as he follows Thomas to the cart.

"Oh, right, we actually have to go...."

Eyeing the rest of the group, Filiberd grabs the small backpack and take a peek inside.

Smileybastard
2014-02-28, 10:38 AM
Thomas

"Don't belittle it. The going is the best part." Thoma smiles and looks to the mayor as he looks into one of the larger backpacks. "Do we get the cart?"

u-b
2014-02-28, 10:55 AM
"Uh... no, I don't think so. Not the cart, and not the pony either."

(you do not look as heroic as advertised while rummaging through the backpacks, but I suspect the mayor is already aware he should have put more thought and planning into his public relations)

5 days’ worth of rations
a small tent
a winter blanket
a full waterskin
50 feet of hempen rope
a piece of map (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Trail%20map%20piece%20asdfa.png)

5 days’ worth of rations*
a small tent*
a winter blanket*
a full waterskin*
a box containing tinder and three tindertwigs
a torch
a piece of map (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Trail%20map%20piece%20sfhss.png)

*lite edition

Smileybastard
2014-02-28, 11:08 AM
Thomas

Thomas digs everything out of the backpack he is going through taking the tent, rations, blanket, waterskin and the piece of the map. He moves it all to his backpack other than the map which he looks over.

"Make sure you look for a piece of a map in your backpack."
He then hefts his backpack.

"Wow this is heavy now." He looks towards the pony disappointed.

fendrin
2014-02-28, 11:33 AM
Ruhk

Ruhk snuffs out his finger and with a somewhat glum look on his face (fairly normal for him, really) accepts the lantern.

He doesn't think so? Well done, Mayor. Well done. Or not. I wonder what he'd do if we just took it? Eh, whatever. Hmm. Those packs look heavy... what am I, a mule?

He slides one of the packs out of the cart and, without bothering to check the contents, does his best to put it on his hunched back, where it rests awkwardly.

"Alright then, lets get it done."

Grunting under the unaccustomed burden of the pack, Ruhk starts hobbling his way to the south.

kailkay
2014-02-28, 10:09 PM
Turor

Glancing from the mayor to the muttering crowd, and then a bit more sternly to Ruhk, Turor breathes a heavy sigh and shakes his head. The small bardly halfling suffering from slight trepidation gets a pat on the shoulder.

"It'll be okay, lad. Think of the stories you'll get to tell after today, hm? Besides, Torag will keep you safe, and if he isn't available, you still have me here."

Turor waits until the others have their backpacks either picked or otherwise on, and takes one, eyeing it for a brief moment and carefully opens it to peek inside, curiously.

Kadiith
2014-03-01, 10:38 AM
Taes

Taes laughs quietly to himself at the question about the cart. After patting the pony and giving its nose a soft rub Taes joins the others at the cart and eyes the remaining backpacks. He reaches out and takes one, opening it to peer inside.

u-b
2014-03-01, 10:41 AM
5 days’ worth of rations
a small tent
a winter blanket
a full waterskin
a labeled potion of cure light wounds
a torch
a piece of map (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Trail%20map%20piece%20dsgds.png)5 days’ worth of rations
a small tent
a winter blanket
a full waterskin
a small bottle of local brandy
a torch
a piece of map (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Trail%20map%20piece%20ertvf.png)

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 10:43 AM
Thomas

"Hurry my friends! The Lantern Bearer is making his way South. We must ensure his safety and and the success of the quest!"

With that Thomas trots to catch up to Ruhk with a big grin on his face.

Kadiith
2014-03-01, 01:03 PM
Taes

Hmm, some of this I already have... Let's see... map piece, torch, healing potion, blanket, tent... Taes hurries to move the items into his pack, making sure to tuck the map fragment into a side pouch for easy retrieval. Things squared away securely, he trots off after Thomas and Ruhk.

fendrin
2014-03-01, 01:29 PM
Ruhk

Ruhk stops just outside of town, drops his pack, and waits for the rest of the group to catch up. While waiting he takes a quick rummage through the contents of the pack.

"Ah, I see, yes... that makes sense..."

When everybody else arrives, the ugly man addresses the rest of them in his typically blunt (some might say rude) manner.

"Ok you lot, I'm sure some of you don't like me much and I know I don't like some of you much. I've made no secret of the fact that I'd rather not be doing this, but here I am nonetheless. We're gonna do this, so let's do it smart."
He pauses to catch his breath.
"They gave us camping supplies and 5 days of rations. That means that the crypt is likely about a day and half or two day's walk from here: That's a round trip of three to four days, plus a day to get in and out of the crypt, or maybe just a little extra in case we're slow or too stupid to put our map pieces together."
He looks at each of them, evaluating.
"Now, I'm not one for liking to follow orders, but we've each got our strengths and the gods know we have plenty of weaknesses, so let's try to work together and play to out strengths. That means appointing a leader... someone not too frivolous..."
He looks at Thomas and Filiberd.
"...nor too zealous..."
He looks at Turor.
"...and by the stars I'd be a terrible leader. That leaves you."
He points at Taes.
"I suspect you're best suited to getting through the woods intact, and I bet you're smart enough to realize that you don't have all the answers to all the problems, so maybe you'll actually listen to the rest of us when we know something you don't. I myself will happily play the role of sagacious advisor... and my first piece of advice is that we redistribute the supplies to take advantage of the strengths of our strong so as not to overburden those of use whose strengths lie in other areas."
He waves his piece of the map in the air like a little flag.
"Oh, and of course we should put these together and figure out where the heck we are going."

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 05:18 PM
Thomas

Thomas rapidly catches up and watches Ruhk go through the contents of his back pack.
After the rest catch up he listens to Ruhk with a big smile on his face.

"I am sure glad you don't want to lead."

Moranica
2014-03-01, 07:15 PM
After a long wait, Filiberd arrives at the first stop as well, dragging his bag behind him, over the ground.

"....[pant]....[pant], good, I could really do with a break. I can't carry all this stuff. I'll think I'll leave my wooden shield and club behind.. [pant]. Unless someone has room to spare of course."

Over my max weight actually...

Kadiith
2014-03-01, 08:50 PM
Taes

Taes blinks at Ruhk for a moment before flushing slightly. "I'm not so sure I would be the best leader. I mean...I haven't lead anything before.. I am fairly confident in getting us through this forest, though." He watches the others catch their breath, then looks back to Ruhk and shrugs. "It's worth a shot. It's probably worth noting that I'm not all that good at speaking to people."

He kneels down and sets his pack on the ground, digging out his piece of map. "I'm assuming we all have a piece? It would be best if we went ahead and figured out where exactly it is we are supposed to be heading before we get too far ahead of ourselves." Turning his eyes on the overburdened Filiberd, he continues. "My load is fairly light, I could help carry some of the equipment easily."

Smileybastard
2014-03-01, 09:05 PM
Thomas

Thomas pulls out his piece of map and hands it to Taes. "Here you go. I suggest we not worry about who is leading until we get to know each other a bit better."
"I am pretty sure Taes is the best at getting us there though."

kailkay
2014-03-02, 01:32 AM
Turor

The dwarf looks around quizzically, and thinks to himself, 'I'm the strongest here?' The extra backpack full of goodies didn't even phase the dwarf, and would probably not have slowed him down anyways. He's way too stubborn to let the sheer weight or volume of goods he carries slow him down, and he makes a point of speaking up when everyone is together again, down the road, after everyone has said their peace.

"Yes, I agree with Thomas, and I think if we follow Taes through the wilderness, we'll be in better shape when we finally get to the crypt. If you have a whole pile of burden, load up my knapsack here. I've spent enough time hauling coal and ore around, lifting the dried meat and crackers in our bags is no problem. Although you might want to hang on to your own tents and blankets, if you can.

Anything we don't need, we should probably put into a spare backpack --" Turor motions to the extra he's holding as an example, "-- And leave it somewhere we can easily find it again on our way back to the town. It would be best to return the goods we hastily took in our excitement to the people who paid for them."

Turor pulls out the map fragment from his backpack and stares at it for a moment before reaching to hand it off to Taes, as that seems to be what everyone is doing, and then waits for people to give him what goods they need to redistribute; he also picks and chooses which goods he's going to keep with himself and which he will leave in the 'extra backpack'.

He keeps the brandy, the blanket, the tent and the rations. With the map in Taes' possession, that leaves the waterskin and the torch in the spare backpack.

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 02:08 AM
Thomas

"I have a lot of stuff in my bag and it is heavy, but I am okay for now. I like to be ready.
If we need to fight or scout I am dropping it."

Moranica
2014-03-02, 11:00 AM
"Thank you, that's very kind of you. If you could carry my light, .... not so light wooden shield and club for me? I'll need them back when we enter the crypt. Not trusting my bow to much in tight spaces."

"Anyone scouting ahead, or do we move single collumn?"

Good thing I've read about party movement.

fendrin
2014-03-02, 11:33 AM
Ruhk

"We should take all of it- best to be prepared for whatever comes... and with your talk of hauling coal and ore, you should know that leaving your water behind is a sure way to make yourself sickly and weak. If you collapse from dehydration, I'm not carrying you."

He puts the lantern, the tent, the blanket, and the grappling hook on the ground.

"Now, if I have to I'll carry all of this, because leaving it behind is foolish. But it's gonna slow me down, so it'd be better if someone who won't be takes 'em."

He grins a little.

"If we get into a fight, you're gonna want me to be able to get in front of you or else you might get caught up in my spells... so wait until I tell you it's safe before you go running into battle... I really don't wanna find out what burnt dwarf smells like."

"Anyone scouting ahead, or do we move single collumn?"

"Knowledge is power, little one. A scout is a very, very, good idea."

Kadiith
2014-03-02, 12:49 PM
Taes

Taes busily sets about piecing together the map fragments that he has been handed. At the mention of scouting, he looks up. "Scouting is definitely a good idea. I volunteer, as I'm not completely unfamiliar with the forest. Perhaps not the region we will be headed, but in general."

Motioning to his pack, he adds, "I have a spare waterskin, if water becomes an issue. There was a second in the pack given to me."

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 01:02 PM
Thomas

"I have a grappling hook if you want to lighten the load more," says Thomas a little more seriously. "I have a few other odds and end that might come in handy as well."

fendrin
2014-03-02, 01:41 PM
Ruhk

"I'd rather have both grappling hooks and all of the waterskins, just in case. Better safe than sorry, yeh?"

Watching as Taes assembles the map pieces, Ruhk puts his piece in place and makes an attempt to memorize the map.

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 01:45 PM
Thomas

"Fine by me, just putting ideas out there."

Moranica
2014-03-02, 03:16 PM
"Alrighty, there is no way I'm scouting though. We'll follow several hunderd feet behind you I guess. Know any way to quietly alert us?"

"And remeber what Sir Bowell said:'A Scout is never taken by surprise; he knows exactly what to do when anything unexpected happens.'

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 04:27 PM
Thomas

A perplexed look crosses Thomas's face. "I would love to scout, but I am unsure there is any value right outside of our village and we are all burdened by gear...I wish we had the pony and cart."

fendrin
2014-03-02, 06:01 PM
Ruhk

"Thomas... we're talking about how to approach the forest, not what to do right now."

He smiles, which is not altogether a pleasant looking event.

"You're right about the burden though. Anybody scouting should be able to move swiftly."

He looks at the pile of stuff he put on the ground, that no one has made any move to pick up.

"Alright, alright, I guess I'll have to deal with this stuff myself. I'd be a worse scout than a leader. Just make sure to give me a chance to soften up any threats before you charge in..."

Packing the stuff up again, he looks to Taes.

"We ready?"

Smileybastard
2014-03-02, 06:17 PM
Thomas

"I assume we will scout as needed."

kailkay
2014-03-03, 01:43 AM
Turor gives an acquiescent nod and takes the club and shield from the wee bard, offering him a friendly smile. "Of course, friend. I'll give these back to you as soon as you need them." They are easily tucked away, hanging off a shoulder and slipped into his backpack.

"I have no doubt that we'll need extra waterskins, and I'm fairly certain we'll find natural sources of water before long. Creeks and ponds and so forth; I've got a pot to boil it in, too."

Turor looks over the lamp and the grappling hook, shrugging. "I can take those if you need me to," he says, pointing to them. Regardless, he turns almost expectantly to Taes.

"Well, young lad, I think you're the one in charge of our traversal. Where do we go?"

fendrin
2014-03-03, 09:06 AM
Ruhk

"Those'll hardly make a difference when I have to lug that gods-be-damned heavy tent.... but thanks."

He hands the lantern an grappling hook to Turor.

"Hey, when we get to the forest, can one of you cut me a length of branch to use as a walking stick?"

Kadiith
2014-03-03, 12:32 PM
Taes
Taes looks at Turor. "Assuming we've got this thing assembled correctly, it looks like we should head this way." He traces his finger along the map in front of him, moving slightly to the side so everyone could see.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 12:49 PM
Thomas

Thomas looks at Ruhk, "Sure I can cut you a walking stick, it is a good idea, I'll cut me one as well."

"Lets go then Taes!"

Kadiith
2014-03-03, 01:24 PM
Taes

Taes scoops up the map fragments and stands. "Sounds good. Anyone want their piece back, or shall I hold on to it?" He pauses to give everyone ample time to respond, handing out the pieces to anyone who wants theirs back.

"If everyone is all set with their packs, it would probably be best that we get moving."

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 01:55 PM
Thomas

"I suggest you hold them all as they are no good separately."

Moranica
2014-03-03, 02:36 PM
Filiberd

Filiberd moves behind Turor.

"Ready!"

Kadiith
2014-03-03, 02:44 PM
Taes

Taes nods. "Right. Well then, shall we?" He turns and begins heading in the direction indicated by the map.

kailkay
2014-03-03, 11:07 PM
Turor

The dwarf gives a gruff nod and, upon retrieving the lantern and the grappling hook, puts them into his bag.

"Is it really that heavy for you? Then give it here." Motioning to Ruhk's tent.

After the tent is either retrieved and placed into his bag, or not, Turor will start to follow Taes, at a light hustle and with a quiet prayer to Torag.

Smileybastard
2014-03-03, 11:20 PM
Thomas

Thomas brings up the rear of the group to keep an eye to the rear of the group.

fendrin
2014-03-04, 08:47 AM
Ruhk

Ruhk hands his tent over.

"Yes, it is that heavy to me. My talents lie elsewhere."

Ruhk quickly maneuvers himself into the middle of the group.

u-b
2014-03-04, 09:18 AM
You hike south along the trail. Close to Kassen the trail is extremely easy to follow so even a child could follow it (and, quite possibly, some of you did at various times). Taes is particularly at home in these parts and in fact has been as far as the lake, so he does not actually need the map after having looked at it for a while.

The forest is a mixture of deciduous and evergreen trees, mostly various maples, firs, and spruces. Somewhere it's more maples (less dense with more undergrowth, currently offering good visibility, because the leaves are mostly fallen off), somewhere it's more spruce (more dense with less undergrowth), but the trail is equally easy to follow. The weather is somewhat windy, with clouds moving fast along the sky, but for everyone dressed to the weather, just a nice day.

About two hours walk into the forest the narrow path winds through the raking claws of the trees, now bereft of their leaves, which crunch loudly underfoot. Up ahead, a fallen tree trunk blocks the path. Suddenly a trio of snarling humanoids leaps up from behind the log, all greenish skin and fearsome tusks.

(these three are orcs; you know an orc when you see one - it's just like a half-orc, but with more orc)

One of the three, standing front-center, is wielding a large two-handed axe, two to his sides draw javelins. All three are clad in studded leather.

"Karon, Ulug, tan-awa kon unsa ang among na!" - growls one to the left.

The one in the center raises his greataxe and growls: "Single combat!"

Smileybastard
2014-03-04, 10:58 AM
Thomas

Thomas immediately drops his backpack and glances around to see if there are more orcs.

Init [roll]1d20+3[/roll
perception [roll0]

Kadiith
2014-03-04, 11:27 AM
Taes

Taes halts immediately and takes a half-step back, quickly drawing his bow to notch an arrow. He scans the surroundings, trying to determine if there are any more hidden enemies.

He then eyes the orcs on the road, trying to gauge their power and whether he has seen them before during his times out here.

More enemies: [roll0]
Orcs if needed: [roll1]

u-b
2014-03-04, 11:29 AM
There are about half a dozen places within 60 feet where some more orcs might be hiding without necessarily being good at it. These are mostly bushes. You cannot see through, but think you would be able to see if these bushes were moving. They are not. So, either nobody there, or they are not moving, or they are good at it. The places where it would require more skill to hide are more numerous, but again nobody seems to be failing skill checks.
Not sure how you gauge someone's power just by looking at him, but here's what you see about the orcs. They are all muscular. Two to the sides are young adults. One in the center looks older. They are armed the same - all three have greataxes and javelins, they just chose to draw different weapons. Their equipment seems to be of ordinary quality. They do not have any packs or pouches worn.

Also, trusting your keen sight, you are almost sure nobody is going to pop up from immediate surroundings close enough for a surprise attack.

kailkay
2014-03-04, 11:36 AM
Turor

Quietly, to his party members around him, he will mutter, "You can't trust an orc. Let the big one in the middle there come to me. Those other ones, they're yours. By Torag's Forge, do orcs ever get my blood a-boiling."

The dwarf will then step forward and ready his hammer and shield, hustling forward a full 30' (two move actions) and coming to a stop 20' away from the middle orc. He draws a line in the dirt and leaves with the toe of his right boot and falls into a battle ready stance, calling out a challenge, more to buy time than anything else.

"I am Torag's mighty servant. By my beard and his holy Forge, step aside, or be smote into the dirt where you stand, and be food for the worms!" Wonk, wonk, wonk, his hammer and shield bang together.

Intimidate: [roll0] to en-shaken them/the big one in the middle. Nope, that's a standard action, silly kailkay. Way to waste a good roll.

u-b
2014-03-04, 12:36 PM
"Nag-ingon ang siya makagagahum!" - mentions central orc and both of his associates burst in laughter.

The orc advances towards Turor and swings his axe. Turor falls to the ground, almost split in half, blood pumping from his open arterias, guts falling out and you are almost sure you can see lung and ribs. Other orcs rejoice and shake their javelins.

"Single combat!"

"Nag-ingon ang siya makagagahum!" - "Says he mighty!"
Turor: -15 hp

1. Taes, Turor (any order)
2. Two orcs
3. Now: Ruhk, Filiberd, Thomas (any order)
4. The remaining orc

Smileybastard
2014-03-04, 01:00 PM
Thomas

"Holy ****! Ruhk, start softening them up or slow them down or something. Taes, shoot the main one! Filli ... do whatever you do!"

Thomas then slinks into the forest on whatever side seems best to give him cover.

Stealth 1d20+7

fendrin
2014-03-04, 01:13 PM
Ruhk

"I told that idiot dwarf not to just charge in, now he's gone and gotten himself killed..."

Unless this is just an illusion... I'm pretty sure someone said something about illusions of enemies...

Ruhk moves closer, chanting. Throwing his arms out in front of him, a cone of bright, colorful light erupts forward, bathing the orcs.

Ruhk waits to see what the other orcs do...

Moranica
2014-03-05, 10:19 AM
Filiberd

Filiberd screams as Turor is cut down in one blow.

"Nooooo!!!"

Hesistantly he moves closer (till behind Taes) and fires an arrow at one of the weaker looking orcs (left one).

Attack [roll0]; [roll1] damage
Crit [roll2]; [roll3] damage

u-b
2014-03-05, 10:47 AM
Filiberd's hasted shot from behind Taes goes wide. Two orcs, either seeng that there is no more "single combat" or following what their intent was anyway, move closer and throw their javelins at Taes, who is able to dodge one of them, but not both.

Turor: -5/11 hp
Taes: 6/10 hp (was hit for -4 hp)

1. Ruhk, Taes, Turor (any order)
2. Orc
3. Filiberd, Thomas (any order)
4. Orc', Orc''

fendrin
2014-03-05, 12:21 PM
Ruhk

That's it, get nice and bunched together...

Ruhk moves up past his companions, chanting. Throwing his arms out in front of him, a cone of bright, colorful light erupts forward, bathing the orcs.

The one with the axe drawn and the one on Ruhk's left collapse to the ground.
The one on his right... looks annoyed.

kailkay
2014-03-05, 01:24 PM
Turor

The dwarf, in a heap, continues bleeding...

[roll0]

...And stabilizes!

Kadiith
2014-03-06, 09:37 PM
Taes

Taes grunts in pain and quickly lets fly an arrow toward the orc on the left.

[roll0] [roll1]

u-b
2014-03-07, 01:52 AM
The arrow hits the orc straight through the chest, only feathers protruding this side of the wound. The orc seems surprized by how things became so wrong so suddenly, but the ferocious creature does not seem to be falling just yet.

(two more PCs still to go)

Moranica
2014-03-07, 03:13 AM
They seem shocked by our attacks. Time to save the dwarf.

Filiberd moves up to Turor. Being up close, the wounds look less lethal then when he went down. He squats down, putting his hands on his head and over his heart, while whispering arcane words.

Hang in there, ... fellow adventurer I guess. I'll bring you back.

Casting cure light wounds on Turor. Healing [roll0] damage.

kailkay
2014-03-07, 05:38 AM
Turor

Turor lets out a sigh as his eyes flutter open weakly, staring into the face of the halfling.

"Th'nk y'r... hrn... y'r club'n'shield... my pack... need 'em?"

Smileybastard
2014-03-07, 07:27 AM
Thomas

Thomas works his way around behind the orcs.

Stealth [roll0]

u-b
2014-03-07, 07:44 AM
The orc draws his greataxe and steps back on the road, putting several opponents between him and that archer. You can see how difficult it is for him. The arrow sticking in him must be hurting every move.

(everyone to act, any order)

Moranica
2014-03-07, 08:09 AM
"You'll be alright, sir dwarf. Are you able to fight again?", says Filiberd as he readies his bow again with a new arrow.

"We need to take 'm down now!", and the arrow flies at the standing orc that just drew his greataxe.

Point blank shot is in effect. Hoping to shoot before Turor gets up. :smallsmile:
Attack [roll0]; [roll1]
In case of crit. [roll2]; [roll3]

u-b
2014-03-07, 08:19 AM
The arrow hit the orc through the thigh, he looks badly hurt, but is still standing.

Kadiith
2014-03-07, 08:36 AM
Taes

Taes sees the Dwarf in better condition, and smiles grimly as he notches another arrow. He strafes to the side so that he can see the orc and lets the arrow fly.

[roll0] [roll1]

kailkay
2014-03-07, 08:41 AM
Turor

(In the event that the orc is close enough for Turor to stand and swing in one round...)

Turor gives his head a shake, clearing the groggy stars associated with almost dying, and climbs to his feet, hammer still in hand. And then he takes a vicious series of swings with that warhammer.

[roll0][roll1]

"Single combat."

u-b
2014-03-07, 09:06 AM
The orc swung his greataxe mightily, trying to exploit the opportunity while Turor was standing up from the ground, but was hit in the chest again with yet another arrow and his attack went wide, axe slipping from his weakening hands as he stumbled, falling to one knee, getting a hammer blow straight in the head and finally collapsing to the ground motionless.

So much for single combat.

Suddenly... (click thrice to select) all the orcs and orc corpes and all their stuff disappear, and Turor and Taes start to feel better. So that was an illusion, after all. Seems like a good one.

fendrin
2014-03-07, 09:43 AM
Ruhk

"Illusions... it figures..."

At least we don't have to have a moral debate about what to do with survivors.

He turns to Turor.

"You ready to travel?"

kailkay
2014-03-07, 10:14 AM
Turor

Turor gasps loudly, watching the orc before him disappear in a blink. Confused momentarily, he stands up and glowers at the bushes, until Ruhk gives an explanation that makes sense to the dwarf.

He looks down to his mended front, tentatively sweeping a finger over his chainmail, before putting his warhammer away.

"Soon." He looks up to Ruhk and then down to the bard who saved his 'life'.

"You are a very brave little fellow, Fil. I think you should probably take your shield and club with you, and wear them at the ready; if this little shadows-from-the-forge show is any indication, I may..." his voice shakes a bit, "I may not be able to protect you as much as you'll need. I'll take your tent for you, so that you can hopefully move around a little freely."

He stands up a little straighter and looks to the rest of the group. "I think I saw one or two arrows fired before I blacked out; check your quivers. If it turns out you actually fired them, we should take a couple minutes to see if we can't find them. They're more useful than an extra canteen."

He glances to Ruhk and tips his head to the side. "Do you think there's any way to tell if further combat encounters are going to be illusory or not?"

Perhaps it is all a test for the village's younglings. So much ceremony, these humans.

"Let's catch our breath a bit, maybe, have a look for those arrows and then get back at it? Hopefully the next bunch that jump out at us are close enough for me to charge into them before they can get a swing off."

fendrin
2014-03-07, 11:55 AM
Ruhk

"Well..." he says, scratching his neck stubble, "the best defense against illusions is to be wary of them. They may not behave completely true to reality, especially if you touch one, or hit one with something. Look for little glitches, delayed reactions, not enough resistance to your hit, things like that. Keep your mind and senses sharp."

...but will everything be illusions?

"I doubt that we will only face illusions though. Honestly, that's a trick that works best used infrequently. Now that we've faced illusions, we're more likely to figure them out if we come across them again. Not to mention that we are in the wilderness, not a controlled environment. There is always the chance that we will find something that's not part of the script."

Moranica
2014-03-07, 01:23 PM
"Alright, that sounds reasonable, Turor. Here's the tent."

"So, sounds like we'll be hitting more trouble sometime soon. I must say our tactics were ...., quite unlike those in the books. One sprinted to his death and another ran off into the woods. .... So, what should we do next time?"

I really want to and such a battle with the fat Annibelle Width,'s words:' I love it when a plan comes together'. Yeah, that should make for a good story also!

After speaking Filiberd casts detect magic and starts looking around, where there once were mean orcs.

u-b
2014-03-08, 12:18 AM
Filliberd starts to look around, and indeed, there is a barely detectable trace of magic present. After some more concentrating, Filliberd can see the area that is magical mostly extends south along the road. It does not extend much in any other direction. Then the aura finally fades into nothingness.

Smileybastard
2014-03-08, 12:54 AM
Thomas

Thomas walks out of the trees upon seeing the illusions vanish. He looks annoyed. "So ... what caused the illusions?"

kailkay
2014-03-08, 01:31 AM
Turor

Turor frowns rather deeply and hefts his shield up onto his shoulder as he glances up and down the road.

"We'll have to be on our guard moving forward, then. I do not envy the idea of being split open again, even if it's all clay and no iron."

The dwarf scans up and down the road, shielding his eyes from the ambient light, in an effort to see any spent arrows.

u-b
2014-03-08, 02:53 AM
Of four arrows spent, three hit their target and now form a small pile on the road where the orc has been. You have no slightest idea about where to begin to look for the arrow that Filliberd launched into the forest.

Smileybastard
2014-03-08, 07:26 AM
Thomas

Thomas moves carefully towards the fallen log, looking for something that could create an illusion.

Stealth [roll0]
perception [roll1]

Moranica
2014-03-08, 08:13 AM
"It seems the illusions came from something from the south. The trail follows the road. So whatever it cast, we'll find it if we continue."

"I'm ready to continue and still good to go."

u-b
2014-03-08, 09:31 AM
The log seems to be old, but dragged here to be laid across the road just recently. You are not sure, but like several days ago or maybe even yesterday. There are some humanoid bootprints around, medium sized. They are most visible leading towards the road along the path the log was dragged. You can see the location where the log was taken from, it is about 80 feet to the east.

You do not see anything that could be identified as source of illusion.

Smileybastard
2014-03-08, 06:10 PM
Thomas

Thomas looks at the footprints and says "This log was recently moves and there are footprints here. I am thinking it was all part of this." He looks more closely at the tracks to see where they lead.

Survival [roll0]

kailkay
2014-03-09, 01:06 AM
Turor

The dwarf makes his way over to the pile of spent arrows and crouches down to examine them, picking each one up individually. Sadly, as a dwarf, Turor probably has no idea whether or not they're still useable, and so, shrugging, picks them up and moves over to the rest of the group, holding the arrows out.

"I'm refreshed and chipper and ready to go when you all are."

The dwarf glances to Thomas and furrows his brow, slightly confused. "So, whoever put the spell on us moved the log?"

Smileybastard
2014-03-09, 01:21 AM
Thomas

Thomas heads back to pick up his backpack. "The log was moved a good distance, I can't see it being a coincidence."

u-b
2014-03-09, 01:41 AM
Thomas can see that more than one person moved the log and that not all of the bootprints were quite orc-sized. He does not see any signs of any other activity outside the path from the log's original location to it's current location on the trail. The trail itself is rather firm ground.

fendrin
2014-03-09, 09:24 AM
Ruhk

"No doubt this was set up as a test for us by the townsfolk. I would guess Holgast cast the spell, though I have no idea how managed to get the geezer out of bed. I doubt he would have been able to move the log though, so he had to have had help."

He gives the log a quick and ineffectual push with his foot.

"It doesn't really matter though, does it? We passed the test - though the flying colors were preceded by flying blood - so we can move on, right? No need to dawdle and discuss every detail."

Moranica
2014-03-09, 09:39 AM
Hmm, somehow I doubt the townsfolk did this. Especially with the trail coming from south. Best keep my guard, and bow up from now.

Filiberd gets in line, behind Turor.

"Still got your back, now let's go."

Smileybastard
2014-03-09, 09:45 AM
Thomas

Thomas returns with his backpack. "Well it seems it was not meant to be lethal, so ... in any case it did seem more like a test or a trick than anything else.
Let's head out then."

u-b
2014-03-09, 10:11 AM
You follow the trail without encountering any more orcs, illusions, or any other disturbances. The trail leans east (oops) west as you pass the Broken Glade, you turn left as the trail as it splits in two. The trail gets somewhat thinner after the split, but Taes is pretty sure it is the trail you are to follow. You are back into the woods, but still quite some way from the Gray Lake when the sunlight begins to fade and a cold wind begins to rattle through the leafless forest. The clouds are moving through the sky as fast as during the day, but now some of the wind seems to descend to the forest.

I suppose you might want to set up a camp before it gets dark. Taes can find a nice camp site, there is a lot of wood around if you want a fire. But if you want to keep moving, you surely can.

Moranica
2014-03-09, 10:30 AM
Nearing exhaustion, Filiberd, who is not used to travelling, pleads with the group.

"Are we there yet? If not, I really need to sit down for a bit. And some sleep too. Can we do that? I won't be worth much if we keep this up. And I have take double the amount of steps that you have."

Kadiith
2014-03-10, 08:59 AM
Taes

Taes looks around at the group, his eyes falling on Filiberd. "Perhaps we should go ahead and make camp. We're getting into unfamiliar territory here, and after the excitement earlier we know that we can expect anything from this point on. Besides..." he pauses and winks at Filiberd "...the little one has a point. If we get too tired, we'll be worthless in a fight."

u-b
2014-03-10, 11:43 AM
You choose a nice level spot, a bit off the trail and surrounded by thick bushes on three sides. You start to set up the tents and are mostly done when you hear howling off in the distance to north-west. Taes is pretty sure this is a wolf.

The sun is approaching the horizon.

Your camp is not immediately wisible from the trail unless you are burning fire. The bushes allow movement at 1/4 speed, but this basically auto-fails any possible stealth checks. Fourth side of your campsite is facing south-west and is open. This is the opportunity to describe your activity, plans and preferences before I advance the time.

Smileybastard
2014-03-10, 01:06 PM
Thomas

"I suggest we take turns on watch. If you like I can put up a trip rope to the south west as well."

Moranica
2014-03-10, 03:05 PM
"If you don't mind, I'll take the last watch. I doubt I could stay awake and alert like this very well."

Filiberd takes his tent from Turor, puts it up, while gobbling up some rations and dives in for some sleep.

fendrin
2014-03-10, 03:24 PM
Ruhk

"I'll take the first watch. I like some quiet time before I go to sleep."

He sets the tip of his finger ablaze like he did back in town.

"If you gather firewood I'll start a fire."

Smileybastard
2014-03-10, 03:33 PM
Thomas

"I can take whatever shift."
Thomas looks at Ruhk and his finger. "We are all so impressed with your fire magic, but I think it would be more productive if you helped us get wood rather than being the human candle."

Kadiith
2014-03-10, 06:40 PM
Taes

"I can take second watch, unless anyone else would rather." After things are settled in, he eats a quick meal of elven rations and settles in for his nightly meditation.

kailkay
2014-03-10, 10:38 PM
Turor

The dwarf hands out the tents to Ruhk and Filiberd, and sets his pack down, to begin setting his own tent up. Once it's done, he starts tromping through the woods, gathering what wood he can find, easily enough, and brings whatever he can find back to the camp.

He dumps the logs in an easily accessed location and pulls a packet of food out of his backpack. He begins to chow down, looking at the other members of the party. "I can take the darkest shift. My people can see perfectly well in the dark, and I can stand vigil at midnight."

He takes a swig of the brandy, also, and then a few sips of water.

u-b
2014-03-11, 11:21 AM
You set the tents, start an ample fire (Turor has gathered plenty of wood) and ate some rations. It's getting darker. While you were eating you could hear how the howling getts progressively closer and louder, then ceases.

The things will be arranged as follows:
Set camp 1 hr
>>> now
Ruhk 2 hr
Taes 2 hr
Turor 2 hr
Thomas 2 hr
Filliberd 2hr
Pack camp 1.5hr
Total = 12.5hr (sleep = 8 hr; Taes has 4 hr free)

Set camp / pack camp includes eating etc. Ruhk and Filliberd will have to prepare spells, this is why "pack camp" is more than 1 hr.

Unless you want to rearrange something or react somehow, I'll advance the timer.

Smileybastard
2014-03-11, 07:22 PM
Thomas

"I don't know a lot about wolves, but they seemed to be getting closer. COuld they be planning on attacking?"

u-b
2014-03-13, 09:40 AM
The sun is down below the horizon and most of you have been in your tents for half an hour already. Ruhk is sitting on a piece of wood beside the fire when he sees a pair of glowing eyes 50 feet across the fire.

This whole encounter is not very fast "by design" and I do not want to make it worse by not posting, so, I've advanced the time. Thomas and/or Taes might be also awake, at their option. Party won the initiative.

Smileybastard
2014-03-13, 09:23 PM
Thomas

Thomasd shouts. "The wolves have come to visit!" He then wiggles his fingers and chants something.

Thomas casts ghost sound behind or to the side of the wolf he can see. Max 25ft range. Making the sound of dogs barking.

fendrin
2014-03-13, 09:26 PM
Ruhk

"Wolves! Get up and defend the camp!"

Wild animals are usually afraid of fire... if they come into camp I'll give 'em a little taste of it...

He quickly stands and prepares himself in case the wolves attack.

Ready an action to cast burning hands if a wolf comes within 15'

kailkay
2014-03-13, 10:03 PM
Turor

(Assuming he can be roused from his sleep by the cries of alarm)

Turor scrambles out of his blanket and picks up his hammer and shield on the way out of his tent. "What's all the bloody noise!"

He makes a sweep of the darkness, looking for wolves and, apparently, barking dogs.

[roll0] perception.

u-b
2014-03-14, 11:12 AM
The wolf visibly flinched when he heard the barking, looking at the direction the sound comes from, but not seeing any dogs around there. He stood there as if unsure for a moment, but after more shouts and movement from the camp, disappears in the forest, before Turor can get out from his tent.

Round-by-round mode off. Any changes of plans?

Moranica
2014-03-14, 11:14 AM
"ZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZ", a loud snore can be heard from Filiberd's tent.

fendrin
2014-03-14, 11:32 AM
Ruhk

"It's gone, but that doesn't mean it won't be back... and wolves rarely hunt alone."

He takes a stroll around the perimeter of the camp, then sits back down by the fire.

Over the course of his watch he strolls the perimeter every 15 minutes or so.

kailkay
2014-03-14, 01:29 PM
Turor

Turor goes grumbling back into his tent, says a few prayers and goes back to sleep.

Smileybastard
2014-03-14, 01:55 PM
Thomas

Thomas stays up for about an hour more in case the wolves come back and then heads to his tent to sleep.

Perception [roll0]

u-b
2014-03-15, 01:30 AM
Thomas and Ruhk were standing (or rather sitting, with occasional walking) their watch for about half an hour. Thomas started to think that the wolves probably don't mean to return and he might just go to his tent to have some sleep, when he noticed a wolf silently appearing under a lone maple tree near the camp, creature's eyes aglow with light reflected from the fire. Thomas is about to raise the alarm, but before he could react, another wolf strode from between the bushes to south-west, taking a route around the fire and biting a solid piece of Ruhk, almost tearing his arm off and dragging him to the ground, bleeding.

I cannot see a post where Thomas implemented the trip rope he proposed, so will assume he stopped at making the proposal. I assume everyone will wake up from the noise. Two move actions to get out of the tent (choose any square next to the tents), Taes and Turor may have a weapon in hand as part of this, Filliberd will have to spend another move action before gettin out of the tent if he wants to get out with a weapon.

Wolf
>>>Thomas - sitting (move action to stand up, no AoO)
Wolf'
Ruhk - 0/7hp, prone, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#disabled), flatfooted
(please no actions below this point)
Taes - sitting, flatfooted
Turor - prone, flatfooted, unarmored, asleep
Filliberd - prone, flatfooted, unarmored, asleep

Smileybastard
2014-03-16, 01:24 AM
Thomas

Thomas screams "Wolves!" and Attacks the nearest wolf with his shortsword.

To hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

u-b
2014-03-16, 01:57 AM
Thomas drew his shortsword as the second wolf was quickly closing on him, choosing it's way around the fire. Thomas swung the shortsword, but he was not used to fighting while seated and the attack went wide, hitting only the bush. The animal was much more successful in it's attack, biting Thomas and dragging him to the ground.

Scrawny wolf
Thomas - 5/8hp, prone
Scrawny wolf'
>>>Ruhk - 0/7hp, prone, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#disabled)
(please no actions below this point)
Taes - sitting, flatfooted
Turor - prone, flatfooted, unarmored
Filliberd - prone, flatfooted, unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%231.png

Full map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArecYaJ8hhFRdFlRcnNYeEZ4Zk1tY25RQ3J1bGxoc lE#gid=2)

Ruhk to act.

Moranica
2014-03-16, 08:50 AM
Filiberd quickly sits up, as growls and shouting suddenly fill the camp.

"What in the ...", as he grabs his bow.

.... wait ..... must be one of those illusions again.

And he proceeds to cast detect magic.

fendrin
2014-03-17, 12:44 PM
Ruhk

"Aaugh!"

Grunting in pain, Ruhk crawls back towards the tents.

u-b
2014-03-17, 01:16 PM
Ruhk crawls a bit away from the wolf, but then another wolf appears from between the bushes. Luckily, the wolf did not immediately attack, but it seems like choosing how to...

Meanwhile, inside his tent, Filiberd casts a spell trying to detect presence of magic, and indeed, there is some magic in the direction all the growling and shouting comes from. It would take more time to learn the specifics, though.

Withdrawal is normally a full-round action, but I think it is appropriate to allow when a character is limited to only one standard action, so no AoO.

Scrawny wolf
Thomas - 5/8hp, prone
Scrawny wolf'
Ruhk - 0/7hp, prone, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#disabled)
Scrawny wolf''
Filiberd - unarmored
>>> Taes - sitting
>>> Turor - prone, unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%232.png

Full map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArecYaJ8hhFRdFlRcnNYeEZ4Zk1tY25RQ3J1bGxoc lE#gid=2)

Taes and Turor to act.

kailkay
2014-03-18, 02:39 AM
Turor

The dwarf is awoken again by shouting and kicks himself out from under his blanket, reaching for his hammer and shield. He takes them in hand while scrambling out of the tent, quickly surveying the damage and the trees around the woods to pick out how many more wolves there might be.

"Over here, you mangy mutts! Come eat splinters and steel!"

Perception check to quickly look around and get his bearings and spot any wolves hiding away in the shadows with his darkvision: [roll0]

Shield in hand, but not donned as yet. Stupid move-action don time :( He'll pop out hopefully between Ruhk and the wolf.

u-b
2014-03-19, 08:31 AM
Turor got out of the tent and found himself straight in the middle of the action. On his right side was lying Ruhk, his left arm heavily in blood, on his left side was a wolf, and two more wolves were nearby, one adjacent to Thomas and snarling at him, and the other, still 15 feet away, was eyeing the dwarf. No other creature seems to be nearby.

Nearest wolf, to Turor's left immideately attempts to bite dwarf's leg, but the dwarf quickly raised his foot and almost stomped it back on wolf's muzzle. The wolf, disappointed, jumps away from the dwarf and snarls at Taes, who by this time is also out of the tent.

The wolves appear to be ill-fed. That would be no surprize in early spring, but this is authumn. Quite unusual.Scrawny wolf
>>>Thomas - 5/8hp, prone
Scrawny wolf'
Ruhk - 0/7hp, prone, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#disabled)
Scrawny wolf''
Filiberd - unarmored
Taes
Turor - unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%233.png

Thomas to act.

Smileybastard
2014-03-19, 09:38 AM
Thomas

Thomas flips to feet doing his best to avoid the wolf and slashes at the viscious creature.

Acrobatics [roll0] to avoid AoO
Attack roll [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

u-b
2014-03-19, 09:55 AM
Thomas nimbly flips to feet, avoiding the wolf, but this puts him too far from the creature, so when he swings the sword, it comes two inches too short from wolf's muzzle. The animal tries to counterattack and bite at sword hand, but is too late and misses.

Scrawny wolf
Thomas - 5/8hp
Scrawny wolf'
>>>Ruhk - 0/7hp, prone, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#disabled)
Scrawny wolf''
Filiberd - unarmored
Taes
Turor - unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%233.png

Ruhk to act.

fendrin
2014-03-19, 02:16 PM
Ruhk

"Filiberd! Get out here and give me a pop o' healing so I can get in the fight!"

u-b
2014-03-20, 10:39 AM
The third wolf closes in and bites Turor's leg, doing much better than his packmate before. The wolf shakes forward half of his body violently while still holding Turor's leg, the dwarf threw up his hands, holding the tools of war, and smacked his back squarely against the ground.

Scrawny wolf
Thomas - 5/8hp
Scrawny wolf'
Ruhk - 0/7hp, prone, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#disabled) [delaying]
Scrawny wolf''
>>>Filiberd - unarmored
>>>Taes
>>>Turor - 7/11hp unarmored, prone

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%234.png

Filiberd, Taes, Turor and possibly Ruhk to act.

kailkay
2014-03-20, 12:10 PM
Turor

"Ruahgh!" yells the dwarf as he goes heels-up once again, landing with an audible 'oomf' on his back. Growling, furious even, Turor stands up, doing his best to fend off the doubtless pouncing from the wolf as he exposes himself.

Once standing (unless the wolf takes him down again) Turor will look the cheeky wolf right in the eye and give a fierce growling cry, swinging his hammer down at the wolf with all his might. "HRUAAARGH!"

Attack: [roll0] and damage: [roll1]

u-b
2014-03-20, 12:26 PM
The wolf lunged forward just as Turor began to stand up and clanged his teeth just several inches of dwarf's groin, making the situation even more nervous than otherwise for the wielder of the warhammer, so quite unsurprizingly, the retaliatory attack was hasty and poorly aimed. With a loud warcry Turor delivered a crushing blow to the grass.

AoO occurs before the action, so:
1. Turor was prone when the wolf attacked, and had a penalty to AC
2. Turor was prone when the wolf attacked, and could not be tripped

Moranica
2014-03-20, 02:53 PM
Suddenly, the sounds coming from aside seem very close. Quickly, Filiberd get's up and steps outside and looks around.

Just 5 ft outside.
Bow in hand, no armor or shield.
Detect magic still on

Ah, pop of healing?

"Coming!"

u-b
2014-03-22, 03:53 AM
Filiberd gets out of the tent, continuing to concentrate on the spell. He can see some more details, bus still does not get the full picture.

Meanwhile Taes gets his bow drawn with arrow nocked and lets the arrow fly in the direction of nearest wolf... who tries to dodge and almost succeeds, the arrow scratching his side. Enraged, the wolf counterattacks, his jaws clanking a foot away from Taes as the animal fumbled getting around the ropes holding the tents.

There are 4 or 5 different magical auras present. The strongest of them is of moderate strength (spell level 4..6 or caster level 6..11). You will have to continue concentrating to get more detail.Scrawny wolf - hit for -3hp
>>>Thomas - 5/8hp
Scrawny wolf'
Ruhk - 0/7hp, prone, disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#disabled) [delaying]
Scrawny wolf''
Filiberd - unarmored
Taes
Turor - 7/11hp unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%235.png

Getting through the area occupied by the tents is possible, using squeezing (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#_squeezing) rules.

Thomas and possibly Ruhk to act.

Moranica
2014-03-22, 05:54 AM
"Guys, this place is crawling with magic aura's. .... scary ones too. Check your wounds to see if they are real!!"

Smileybastard
2014-03-22, 06:28 AM
Thomas

Hearing Filiberd, Thomas focuses on the wolf beside him and looks for flaws as he stabs it.

Will Save [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage[roll2]

u-b
2014-03-31, 12:03 PM
Thomas stabs the wolf in left side of the neck just as the animal bit him in the leg. The wolf shook his head and stepped back, trying to bring Thomas down, but the human stood his ground and the wolf had to settle for a piece of fresh flesh. To Thomas, both the wolf and the wounds seem as real as it gets. Especially the wounds. Ruhk is still on the ground, waiting for healing to come. Another wolf attacks the dwarf, almost bringing him to the ground again, but the dwarf's width-to-height ratio helped him to maintain the balance.

Both the rogue and the paladin seem to be hurt very badly.

Scrawny wolf - hit for -3hp
Thomas - 1/8hp
Scrawny wolf' - hit for -5hp
Scrawny wolf''
>>Filiberd - unarmored
>>Taes
>>Turor - 2/11hp unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%236.png

Getting through the area occupied by the tents is possible, using squeezing (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#_squeezing) rules.

Filiberd, Taes, Turor and possibly Ruhk to act.

Moranica
2014-04-01, 02:35 AM
Eyes staring intently at the strange aura's surrounding them, Filiberd slowly moves around the tent to between Rukh and Thomas.

"I'll heal you in second guys.... Or at least one of you."

Concentrating as my standard action. Move to move.
I suppose I didn't get enough sleep for spell replenishment right? That means I only have one shot of healing left.

u-b
2014-04-01, 08:25 AM
Detected auras:
One of moderate strength (spell level 4..6 or caster level 6..11), tiny size or smaller, in Turor's tent
Four of faint strength (spell level 0..3 or caster level 1..5), all tiny size or smaller, very close together and seem to be exactly where you see Ruhk

You do not have a line of sight to any of the sources of the auras, so cannot attempt to determine schools of magic involved, but as you get closer to Ruhk, you can pinpoint those four of them to be in his sack.

(feel free to look shocked, I suppose...)

ups: yes, just one shot of healing

Moranica
2014-04-01, 01:06 PM
Filiberds concentrating stare slowly turns into one of confusion, eyeing his companions one by one.

kailkay
2014-04-01, 05:59 PM
Turor

"Fil, Ruhk is in need of your aid! Hurry!"

The dwarf finally slips his shield onto his arm and bangs the warhammer's head against it a few times.

"Alright, beasties, it's time to dance proper."

Turor makes a swing at the wolf that just took a chunk out of his leg, putting force and momentum behind his blow!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

fendrin
2014-04-02, 09:46 AM
Ruhk

That fool bard is taking too long. If I don't do something now, we might all die... just have to catch the wolf in the edge, avoid the dwarf and the brat...

Still lying on the ground, Ruhk holds his hands forth, angled towards the empty space between the campfire and Turor, and chants the words of a spell.

Suddenly fire bursts forth from his hands, momentarily eclipsing the campfire and narrowly missing the the dwarf.

Before he can see the results, Ruhk feels a wave of exhaustion run over him, then cold, then blackness.

Casting burning hands; pointing southwest, that should hit W'' but neither Thomas nor Turor, though it will be adjacent to both.
[roll0] fire damage, reflex save DC 16 for half.

Ruhk is now at -1 hp, unconscious, and dying.

u-b
2014-04-03, 09:02 AM
Turor's warhammer passes over the head of the wolf, who easily ducks below the swing. Taes steps back, drawing an arrow and shoots at the wolf closest to him, missing by a considerable margin. Then suddenly a cone of fire roars over an area near the fireplace, illuminating the campsite and causing shadows to dance over the trees farther off. This is immediately followed by a long and loud squeal of the wolf burned by the fire. Another wolf, closest to Taes, eagerly follows the elf away from the inferno. Half-hearted attack of the wolf who is more concerned what is behind him missed the elf by a wide margin.

Scrawny wolf: hit for -3hp
>>Thomas: 1/8hp
Scrawny wolf': hit for -5hp
Scrawny wolf'': hit for -7hp
Ruhk: -1/7hp, prone, dying[/B]
Filiberd: unarmored
Taes
Turor: 2/11hp unarmored[/B]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%237.png

Thomas to act.

Smileybastard
2014-04-03, 05:15 PM
Thomas

Thomas realizes he is very hurt, but so is everyone else and there is no one else to depend on here. He steps towards the wolf and attacks it.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

u-b
2014-04-04, 08:42 AM
Thomas did not manage to land his attack, instead just hitting tall grass. The animal seems to be afraid... in fact, very afraid. Another wolf, one that was hit by the fire, was already retreating southwest, making lots of squealing noises. The opponent of the rogue seems almost like it is to follow, but is instead encouraged by not being hit and by closenes of all that dripping blood, so it bites, just barely getting it's teeth on Thomas' already hurt leg. The pain in the teared leg becomes just too much to bear and the human collapses to the ground, with last traces of consciousness understanding that he's being dragged, than passes out.

Scrawny wolf: hit for -3hp
Thomas: -2/8hp, prone, dying (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html#_dying)
Scrawny wolf': hit for -5hp, dragging his prey
Scrawny wolf'': hit for -7hp, withdrawing southwest, squealing
Ruhk: 7/7hp, prone, dying (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html#_dying), fort [roll0] vs DC 10 or lose a hit point, healed to max
Taes
Turor: 2/11hp unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%238.png

Filiberd, Taes, Turor and now Ruhk to act. Taes is on full auto until we hear from Kadiith .

Moranica
2014-04-04, 11:25 AM
Filiberd stops concentrating and moves away from the tents, next to Ruhk

"Alright, go save Thomas Ruhk, we need him."

Filibert proceeds to cast a cure light wounds on Ruhk.
[roll0] healed

fendrin
2014-04-05, 03:43 PM
Ruhk

There's no way I can get over to him in time. Has to be from here.

Standing, The hunchbacked man mutters an incantation, pointing at the wolf and sending a ray of glowing force shooting towards it.

Using a daily use of Arcane Bolt.
The wolf is just barely in range! Not sure if there are any cover or concealment factors to account for.
Ranged Touch [roll0]
Force Damage [roll1]

u-b
2014-04-06, 12:55 AM
That's a miss. Also, I see people forget to roll vs concealment. The wolf has 30% worth of concealment inside these bushes, next time roll a d100.

kailkay
2014-04-07, 01:17 AM
Turor

"Aye, Ruhk, that's how you do it! Now, where'd the other pup go..."

Turor heads off, not after Thomas, but instead after the wolf attacking Taes. He steps close up behind the wolf and swings his hammer again.

Attack: [roll0] although if it's technically flanking, it would be an additional 2 to that. (I don't remember if ranged combatants provide flanking or not in Pathfinder :P)
Damage: [roll1]

u-b
2014-04-07, 08:59 AM
Ruhk's magical bolt barely misses one of the two remaining wolves, but Turor finally manages to land a solid blow on another wolf, breaking some ribs and causing the animal to flee the scene away from him, closely past Taes and through thick bushes further southeast. Taes took a short pause to make sure the wolf is fleeing and out of the way, then promptly moved past Turor towards the center of the camp and shot an arrow at the wolf dragging Thomas. He did not manage to hit the animal keeping low profile in thick bush, but that last attack was seemingly enough for the wolf to recnsider his plans and follow his packmates' example - abandoning Thomas, the wolf fled northwest.

Scrawny wolf: hit for -10hp, looks badly hurt, withdrawing southeast
Taes
Thomas: -2/8hp, prone, dying (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html#_dying), fort [roll0] vs DC 10 or lose a hit point
Scrawny wolf': hit for -5hp, withdrawing northwest
Scrawny wolf'': hit for -7hp, out of sight south-southwest
Ruhk: 7/7hp
Turor: 2/11hp unarmored

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Campsite%20snapshot%20%239.png

Filiberd, Turor and Ruhk to act. Taes is on full auto until we hear from Kadiith.

Moranica
2014-04-07, 12:43 PM
Quickly Filiberd moves over to the hurting Thomas and tries to use some of Thomas his clothes to bandage the deepest cuts on him.

Attempting first aid (untrained)
[roll0]

Moranica
2014-04-08, 05:08 PM
"Alright guys, I've stopped the bleeding, so he'll make it through the night. But we really can't move him."

"As for myself, I can't heal anyone anymore, I need to rest. ... as in UNinterupted rest. Let's put Thomas in his tent and figure out what to do."

Filiberd waits for help and then puts Thomas in his tent.

kailkay
2014-04-09, 04:20 AM
Turor

Turor grumbles and looks over his warhammer, checking to see if it needs any cleaning after smashing into the wolf with a thump.

"Torag's forge, that was not pretty."

The dwarf shakes his bearded head and looks with a frown to poor Thomas.

"Too damned close. I'll stay with him, and keep watch for the remainder of the night. Help me put my armor on. I've been working on first aid training while learning to be a Paladin. I should be able to keep an eye on him, and help him live through the night. My eyes are the best in the dark, and we need little Fil's magic quite sorely. I'll be pretty tuckered tomorrow, but that's the way it's going to have to be. Thomas can spend the night under the stars with me watching over him; bring his bedroll and blanket out here."

The dwarf, singleminded and stubborn as ever, doesn't wait for a conversation on these points. He steps directly into his tent and comes out with his bundled chainmail, putting it on piece by piece. Naturally, if someone chooses to help him, he will gratefully accept the help.

Moranica
2014-04-11, 06:57 AM
"Sounds good to me. I'll better get back to resting."

Having said that, Filiberd turns and goes back to his tent and sleep.

fendrin
2014-04-11, 08:24 AM
Ruhk

Ruhk nods his head, his near-death experience clearly leaving him utterly exhausted and, for once, speechless.

He climbs into his tent and in moments loud snoring can be heard by all.

In the morning, Ruhk crawls out of his tent after his morning preparations.

This place is a mess. Blood everywhere. I'll be glad to put it behind us.

He walks over to Thomas.

"You gonna be able to walk today? Or shall we carry you in a litter like an invalid?"

u-b
2014-04-11, 12:33 PM
Outside the campsite it is a reasonably nice morining. More cloudy and marginally more windy than yesterday, not as warm as you might have wanted, but still not bad overall. The birds are singing and the sun is supposedly rising from the horizon (you could not see it just yet between the clouds and the trees). Inside the campsite... well, the smell of burnt fur have almost disappeared, but there is burnt grass, blood and/or dew everywhere... not exactly the comfort a half-dead man would be enjoying. Turor got another blanket for Thomas when he began to shiver, so that was not as bad as it might otherwise be, but the blankets did become somewhat damp by the morning.

Taes, who was standing first half of the night on guard with Turor, is up again and is offering Turor to have a little nap while others are preparing the spells, packing the camp and all that. Being two or four hours late should not really change much, he says.

Moranica
2014-04-11, 01:08 PM
Feeling revitalised after his rest, Filiberd exits his tent and stretches a bit.

"A little sunlight always helps. How's Thomas doing?"

after his rest, means after he gets his spells back. :smallsmile:

u-b
2014-04-11, 10:03 PM
Thomas: -1/8hp, prone, stable, unconscious and competently re-bandaged
(this could be discovered by Filiberd himself or told by Turor)

kailkay
2014-04-12, 12:57 AM
Turor

The dwarf looks to the group as they begin waking up. He tried to keep his muttering with Taes to a quiet series of grunts and nods, while worrying over Thomas for the night, but now was actively chatting, with movement in the camp this morning.

Rolling for 8-hour long term care heal check: [roll0]

Turor frowns to the halfling as he comes over and shakes his head. "He's... well, I don't think there's been much change. But he's tough. Young men usually are. Torag saw him through the night, though."

The dwarf does give Ruhk a quick inspection to make sure there's no infection festering in his bite wounds, before he slinks off into his tent, taking Taes up on his offer. He removes as much of his armor as he can before zonking out, sore, and snoring loudly.

Moranica
2014-04-12, 03:34 AM
"I guess it will save us a lot of time if he can walk himself. Not to mention his added fighting ability."

Having said that, Filiberd walks over and uses some of his healing on Thomas.

CLW [roll0]

u-b
2014-04-12, 04:23 AM
Thomas did not feel Filiberd's healing, but when gently shaken a couple of seconds later, he woke up, feeling just fine internally. Externally, he's still in crude improvised bandages, in dried blood, and right half of his pants appears to be not there, being first torn off both by the wolf and the initial attempt to stop the bleeding, then finally used up in form of bandages that are still on that leg. If the bandages are removed, the leg seems to be completely healed and is fully operational, although some scars seem to remain and are visible under the dried blood. Taes says the Gray Lake is half the day's walk from here, so you can either wash using the water in your waterskins (either hot or cold; Turor who's now asleep has an iron pot with him and supposedly did not make a secret of it) and then fill the waterskins at the lake, or walk half the day to the lake and have a bath there.

Smileybastard
2014-04-12, 11:41 AM
Thomas

Thomas sits up and blinks. He checks his body. "That was ... fun. Thanks."

fendrin
2014-04-12, 01:46 PM
Ruhk

A bit abashed to have been speaking to Thomas without having noticed that he was still unconscious, Ruhk tries to hide his embarrasment, but fails completely.

"Alright, you've spent enough time on your back. There's work to be done and that lantern's not gonna light itself."

Leading by example, he starts to pack his belongings and strike his tent.

u-b
2014-04-14, 10:59 AM
You eat your breakfast, pack the tents and otherwise prepare to depart. Turor is sleeping most of this time, but eventually has to be woken up, still fatigued, but at least able to move without falling asleep on the way. Washed or not (please specify) you continue your journey through the Fangwood. You walk for just over four hours, wishing to reach the Gray Lake to have your midday rest there. Eventually, the trees begin to thin, revealing a field of short, green grass that leads to the shores of a wide, calm lake reflecting the overcast sky above. A dense fog hangs over the center of the lake, obscuring the far side. Near the shore of the lake, a dark form lies next to the water. You cannot make out the details from where you are.

Please write off one day's worth of rations per person (half a day's worth of standard-sized rations for Filiberd)

Smileybastard
2014-04-14, 12:05 PM
Thomas

Thomas realizes he was quite injured and magically healed, but it does not seem to deter him. He washes himself, as much to get rid of the blood as anything and gathers up his gear and heads out with the rest.

When they arrive near the lake and see the dark object Thomas looks carefully and says "If you want I can scout that out."

[roll0]

fendrin
2014-04-14, 01:11 PM
Ruhk

While waiting for Turor, Ruhk does his best to scrub off as much of the dried blood caked on him as possible, first using handfulls of grass and leaves, then wiping himself down with water from his waterskin and a scrap of cloth. He then proceeds to drink the remaining contents of his waterskin.

"Aye Thomas, make yourself useful. Useful mind you, not dead. Be cautious and no shenanigans, yeh?"

He shrugs off his backpack and lets it drop to the ground.

Moranica
2014-04-14, 03:32 PM
Filiberd stops in his tracks as he spots the dark shape.

"Guess that means we're going around, right? Unless it's a sunken boat of course. Just be careful."

Drawing his bow and readying an arrow at anything that looks threatening, Filiberd covers Thomas.

Smileybastard
2014-04-14, 04:07 PM
Thomas

Thomas lowers his pack, and begins to move towards the dark object by the path that seems most suited. He keeps his eyes and ear open to anything all around him.

Stealth[roll0]
Perception [roll1]

u-b
2014-04-15, 08:52 AM
Thomas begins to get closer to the object. The grass was too short to hide in, but at least Thomas could try not to make any noise. Eventually, he sees that aforementioned object is a largely decayed human-sized humanoid corpse with huge bite marks all over the upper torso. It lies about 3 merers from the water. There is a shortsword next to it.

Thomas is about 50 meters from the corpse.

Kadiith
2014-04-15, 10:10 AM
Taes

When they arrive at the lake, Taes stretches his arms and back as he looks around at the surrounding area. When Thomas moves to get a closer look, he draws his bow and nocks an arrow to help cover him in case things should turn violent.

"Fake orcs on the road, wolves in the night... We're due some excitement, if things continue as they have been." He shoots a quick grin to Filiberd before his eyes dart back to the dark shape.

Smileybastard
2014-04-15, 10:28 AM
Thomas

Thomas continues to move closer with the intention of seeing if there is any other gear or items near the body. He intends to keep the body between him and the lake.

Stealth[roll0]
Perception[roll1]

u-b
2014-04-15, 11:35 AM
Thomas silently gets adjacent to the corpse, keeping it between himself and the lake. As he does so, his attention is immediately attracted by some metal glittering on otherwise dark corpse, and indeed, there seems to be some gold coins in a rotten pouch on the belt and some more fallen through to the ground. The corpse itself seems to lie here for a long time, maybe several months, because much the clothing have rotted to worthlessness and even the boots seem to be in a very bad shape. It is not clear why it is not eaten in that amount of time. The bite marks on the upper body are much larger than those on Thomas' leg... maybe three times larger. Whatever left them must have had a head at least as large as a horse's, but with some quite sharp teeth. Nothing else of value is immediately apparent.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Gray%20Lake.jpg

Smileybastard
2014-04-15, 11:39 AM
Thomas

Thomas checks to see if there is some sort of trap.

Trapfinding[roll0]

Moranica
2014-04-15, 12:38 PM
"I got 1 gp saying he'll get attacked."

Filiberd blurts out to break the tension, before snapping his mouth shut.

Kadiith
2014-04-15, 12:51 PM
Taes

Taes laughs under his breath. "I'd be tempted to take that bet." He shifts a little, the possibility of more battling sinking into his skin and getting his adrenaline pumping.

fendrin
2014-04-15, 01:25 PM
Ruhk

"I'd take that bet if I had that much money... and if I gambled. Losin' my eye kinda made me the cautious sort."

He snorts.

"Naw, it's unlikely we'd run into any vicious wildlife in the daytime, and if it were another staged attack I'd hope they'd have enough pity on us after last night to give us a break."

He eyes a tree nearby.

"Don't suppose one of you'd be willin' to cut me down a staff? 'Twould make the walkin' a bit easier, and maybe I can whack the next wolf before it bites me."

u-b
2014-04-16, 11:19 AM
Well, neither the corpse nor the sword seem to be trapped. Even more than that, they seem to be not trapped. Nor the area around them. The corpse stinks most naturally and there is a certain amount of flies, both alive and dead, but no larva.

Smileybastard
2014-04-16, 06:30 PM
Thomas

Carefully Thomas picks up the shortsword and then proceeds to take the coins even more carefully.

u-b
2014-04-17, 09:53 AM
Thomas picks up the shortsword, which has some traces of rust on the side that was closer to the ground, but other than that appears to be a rather high-quality weapon. The coins also seem to be of high quality, every one of them (there are 87 total) seems just like it was minted yesterday, without any signs of wear commonly caused by circulation. They are Tamran (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Tamran)ian design, each bearing an image of Forest Marshal Gavirk (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Weslen_Gavirk).

No traps seems to be triggering.

Smileybastard
2014-04-17, 07:15 PM
Thomas

Thomas begins to make his way back to the group with the items he found.

fendrin
2014-04-17, 09:20 PM
Ruhk

"Well, what is it? I'm guessing it's nothing dangerous, or you'd have called us in or warned us off by now... can I go get a drink now?"

Smileybastard
2014-04-17, 09:41 PM
Thomas

"There is a corpse, an old sword and some new coins."

Kadiith
2014-04-17, 10:38 PM
Taes

Taes blinks and lowers his bow. "A corpse? Human, or Orc perhaps?" He shifts his weight onto one foot, his brow furrowing in thought. "And any thought as to the cause of death?"

Smileybastard
2014-04-17, 10:47 PM
Thomas

Thomas stops. "Come and look if you like. It would seem to be humanoid, but it has been dead some time as he is decomposed, but oddly not eaten."

fendrin
2014-04-18, 08:32 AM
Ruhk

"Aye, I'll take a look. It's not like animals to let good meat go to waste."

He rubs his leg where not that long ago he had been savagely bitten.

"Especially considerin' how hungry those wolves seemed. Prey must be scarce for them to have attacked us."

New coins, hm? Probably not from around here... so who were they, and why were they out here?

"I'd like to take a look at the sword and coins. Somethin' doesn't seem right. If one of our townsfolk had gone missing, we probably would have heard about it, so this is likely someone from elsewhere. So then what're they doin' out here?"

u-b
2014-04-18, 10:03 AM
Ruhk takes a look at the sword. It does not look particularly old to him. The amount of rust (not much) seems to be consistent with lying for a few months on damp soil and grass near the edge of the water. The coins are new and shiny. Ruck can easily recognise image of Forest Marshal Gavirk on every one of them (Ruhk did not personally met Forest Marshal, but knows who he is and have seen coins with his image back in Kassen).

Upon closer look ath the corpse, the number of bite marks seems to be three... and yes, they cover all of it's upper torso, broken ribs sticking out and all that. What is inside the chest is a mess, with quite a lot of dead flies. The haplest humanoid must have been a human, or at least something with a lot of human blood, that is as much as you can tell given the state of the remains.If Turor takes a look at the sword, he can see that it is of masterful craftsmanship. It has seen some use and acquired some nicks, but was cared about and beside some light traces of rust and some degradation of leather on the handle seem to be in a good shape.

(also, let's not forget that while Turor does not display - like on the character sheet - any sign of weakness, he's actually at 2/11hp and the wounds do not get any better with walking)

Moranica
2014-04-18, 10:10 AM
Filiberd decides to cast detect magic and approaches.

"Can i have a look?"

Smileybastard
2014-04-18, 10:23 AM
Thomas

Thomas shows people the coins and the sword.

"Some things don't match. The sword has been here some time, the coins look brand now and the body has no maggots in it. I have seen a few dead things in my time and the maggots come quickly."

"Does anyone have a whetstone?"

fendrin
2014-04-18, 01:07 PM
Ruhk

"It looks pretty consistent to me."

Ruhk pokes and prods the corpse with a small stick as he examines it, pointing to various things as he talks.

"I'd guess the corpse has been here for a few months. Given that there are plenty of flies but no maggots, and that so many of the flies are dead, I'd say that what did this was poisonous. That's probably why the scavengers have left it unmolested. We should all wash our hands to make sure we don't accidentally make ourselves sick, or worse. Also whatever did this was big, and powerful. All of that damage was from only three bites, and for enough poison to still be tainting the body after all this time, there had to a be a lot of it."

He takes another look at the coins.

"Garvik has only been Forest Marshal for a short time, so this poor sod was in the capital long enough after Garvik's election for them to be minting coins with his face, and left the capital with a considerable amount of cash, say about 3 months ago. The real mystery is why he came out to these backwoods."

He takes a quick look around.

"I don't see any signs of a pack or a campsite, but I doubt any companions would have just packed up and left him here. If they were the sort to do that I expect they would have taken the money, at least. No, either he had a camp somewhere nearby and just came down here for some water, or he split off from a larger group and they never found him... or never came looking, for one reason or another."

He gestures at the woods with the stick.

"A quick search of the woods might turn up a campsite with some answers."

He looks at Thomas and Taes.

Smileybastard
2014-04-18, 01:17 PM
Thomas

Thomas looks as his hands and heads towards the lake with the sword. "I think I will wash my hands and this sword."

Kadiith
2014-04-18, 05:18 PM
Taes

Taes eyes the bite marks, attempting to see if he can identify what sort of creature would have made the marks, before looking over to Ruhk and nods. "I'll scout around and see if I can see any signs of a camp." He moves to head off, but hesitates as he remembers something. He glances over to Turor and begins digging in his pack. After a moment, he locates what he was looking for and passes the small bottle to him. "I had forgotten this was in my pack. You have more need of it than I do."

He then turns and steps into the surrounding woods, searching for any signs of an old camp in the area.

Taes had a potion of cure light wounds from the mayor that he passes over. For the rolling:

Knowledge Nature for the bite marks: [roll0]
Scouting for any signs of an old campsite:not sure if you want Perception or Survival, so will roll both and we can ignore whichever isn't what is needed.
Survival: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]

And stealth, because why not: [roll3]

kailkay
2014-04-19, 12:43 AM
Turor

Turor is a tough, dour dwarf, far too concerned with the well-being of his party to complain about a nasty bite to the shin or two. He examines the sword for a moment, frowning a bit as he examines the look of it and then looks to the corpse. "Whomever that person was, they would have loved this sword. Feel the balance! Impressive, indeed."

The dwarf then returns the sword to whomever he had swiped it from, and folds his arms over his chest, keeping a wary eye on the bushes around them, especially at the talk of poison. When a potion is placed in his palm he looks at it with some consideration, not entirely trusting it at first. He gives the elf a short look and seems to come to his senses, downing the potion in a single throaty gulp.

[roll0] for the healz!

Feeling better, he gives a smile to Taes and a nod. "Thank you."

Smileybastard
2014-04-19, 12:46 AM
Thomas

"Well if no one wants the sword, I would like it as I so use a short sword."

u-b
2014-04-19, 01:39 AM
After Ruhk's words about poison, it was almost like something has clicked inside Taes' head. Water snake! These come in all sizes and numerous varieties, are often poisonous, territorial, and salt water varieties can grow as huge as a boat. The one here was, of course, smaller than that.

To tell the truth, Taes did not expect to have a large water snake in Gray Lake. There were none in Tourondel River, at least not where Kassen is. But then again, the lake is not much used by Kassenites for most of the year - the lake is more than a day's walk away and Tourondel River flows right through the city. There are some fishing expeditions in winter, when people walk on ice and trawl the lake without needing any bots, then bring back whole sledloads of frozen fishes, but the snake(s) might be less active during that time or something...

(I think I could ask how far and/or how long the search for the campsite is going to extend, but let's keep things moving)

After some time Taes is finally able to find former campsite. It is located less than half a mile east along the lakeshore. It has not been used in months. Taes is not able to deduce the size of the group that has used it (too much time have passed), but if was no less than four and no more than forty.
No magic there.

Kadiith
2014-04-21, 09:53 AM
Taes

After inspecting the remains of the old campsite, Taes returns to the group. Gesturing back the way he had come, he states "This one had friends. Too much time has passed to get a good number, but there was definitely a pack of them here." He frowns down to the corpse. "Whether this one split off from them before or after he was attacked by the water snake, I can't tell. The signs are all too old at this point. Either way, we should be wary of getting too close to the water. I've never seen signs of the creature before, but we probably don't want to start a fight with it should it be territorial of the lake. I'll report it to miss Lastrid once we return to Kassen."

Taes pauses and re-adjusts his pack, then nods toward the path. "Are we prepared to move on, or does anyone have more they wish to do first?"

fendrin
2014-04-21, 10:17 AM
Ruhk

"I for one need to refill my waterskin. Think we'll be safe enough doing that?"

Kadiith
2014-04-21, 10:27 AM
Taes

Taes hesitates a moment before nodding slightly. "Possibly. Should probably be quick about it, and keep an eye out for the creature. I will help keep watch while everyone refills their waterskins."

Moranica
2014-04-21, 12:37 PM
"Alright, let's fill 'm up and move on."

Filiberd moves to the water and fills up his waterskin.

Smileybastard
2014-04-21, 04:31 PM
Thomas

Thomas takes out his shortsword and keeps his eyes peeled and in his turn fills his water skin.

Perception [roll0]

fendrin
2014-04-21, 09:55 PM
Ruhk

Ruhk fills his waterskin and watches the lake for signs of possible attack.

"'Course, that guy was attacked what, a month ago? Who knows if what did it is even still alive."

kailkay
2014-04-22, 12:20 AM
Turor

With his hammer in hand, shield slung on his back, Turor advances into the lake with his pot in the off hand. He scoops a pot full of water out of the lake, careful to avoid scum and reeds, and heads back to shore.

"I wouldn't drink the water straight out of the lake if I were you. We don't all have a sturdy composition. Someone stack some wood and light a fire; we'll get the water boiling soon enough."

u-b
2014-04-22, 09:50 AM
You have refilled your waterskins without any trouble. The water in the lake seems to be of adequate qulity (pretty much like normal fresh water, not like bog water or something). Eventually you were on your way again (with or without boining the water - please specify). Either just before or soon after that, the clouds over your heads have finally decided they are good for something and a cold rain began to fall, at first just a few drops here and there, but within an hour or so it has attained a moderate pace and shows no signs of ending anytime soon. An equally cold wind does not make life any better, especially for those without cloaks.

Taes knows (and has a map that partially confirms) that there is a stream connecting Gray Lake and Tourongel River and so the lake has some form of semi-active water circulation (the stream flows from the lake and into the river). This does not negate the statement that boiling the water might be good for your healh.Filiberd: patchwork cloack - check
Ruhk: heavy cloak left at home or just not marked on the sheet?
Taes: cloak included in explorer's outfit - check
Thomas: cloak included in explorer's outfit - check
Turor: no cloak included

You think you can reach Serpent Gorge today if you keep walking, and it would be an hour or two more (of forced march across wet slope through falling darkness) to cross the Gorge and reach the Crypt, but those without cloaks will not like any of it.

Moranica
2014-04-25, 08:27 AM
Having filled his waterskin, Filiberd feels quite ready to move on.

"Alright, on we go! I'll tell you some good stories to pass the time."

It's only minutes after the walking continues that Filiberd cuts his story short, realising he needs most of his air just to walk and carry his things.

u-b
2014-04-25, 09:02 AM
You walk along the trail, which, after the lake the trail is considerably more elusive, so as often as not it is more like walking roughly along where you thing the trail should have been. Taes does not let you get lost though. The trees in this part of the forest are very old and quite gnarled, the trail leads through a twisting maze of trees and confusing ravines. The weather makes the journey miserable, especially for those of you not dressed to walk in the rain, who, despite managing to walk about half of the time under some trees, by the time you reach the gorge are almost completely drenched and shiver from the cold. As the trail tops a small rise, a broad valley spreads out before it, the opposite side of which looks like a writhing serpent. Yet between the two lies a steep hill sloping down into the valley with wet, slick and treacherous ground. This part of the Fangwood is particularly dense, making it a thorn-covered maze of bushes, treacherous roots, and uneven rocks. Your map marks this valley as Serpent Gorge, and places the crypt at its bottom. You are tired, but it is already getting darker, so you try to reach the crypt before nightfall.

You are just starting your descent when Turor slips and starts to slide down the slope, slamming first into Taes and then eventually quite hard into a tree. Taes tries to grab some nearby bush, but fails, sliding down even past Turor and finally landing onto some hard rocks more than half the way down the slope.

Turor: [roll0] nonlethal damage (7/11hp and 3 nonlethal damage)
Taes [roll1] damage (4/10hp)

Everyone has to make 2 more DC10 Acrobatics checks to safely reach the bottom (except for Taes who has to make only 1)

Smileybastard
2014-04-25, 02:02 PM
Thomas

Thomas sees Turor slip and Taes and he fall.

"I Have some rope, maybe I can you guys down." He carefully takes his rope out and offers to help everyone.

Aid other for Ruhk- acrobatics[roll0]
Aid other for Filiberd - acrobatics[roll1]
Aid other for Turor- acrobatics[roll2]
Aid other for Taes - acrobatics[roll3]

Moranica
2014-04-25, 04:00 PM
"Thanks, but I'll be fine", says the small bard as he starts down the hill. "I'll go first, so I can give some healing to anyone falling into pieces down the slope."

Acro [roll0]

fendrin
2014-04-25, 08:05 PM
Ruhk

Peering down the steep incline, Ruhk sighs.

Better to swallow my pride than fall to my death.

"Alright. Gimme the rope."

He slowly works his misshapen body down the incline, holding onto the rope for support.

1) [roll0]
2) [roll1]
I did not include the bonus for Thomas' assistance.

Kadiith
2014-04-26, 12:11 AM
Taes

When he finally slides to a stop, Taes lies perfectly still for a moment to try to catch his breath. He sits up with a pained groan, one arm hugged to his chest to press against his hurting ribs. After glancing up toward the rest of the group, he decides to rest where he was currently sitting for a minute while they made their way closer.

Ugh, I'll be lucky if they're just bruised. Not much use as an archer if I can't properly fire my bow...

Finally having caught his breath, he pulls himself to his feet. He looks to see how the rest of the party is making the climb, then looks down to gauge the distance to the bottom. On the plus side, I'm most of the way down now. He steels himself for the pain of moving, stepping tentatively in case his ankle gives him problems, and continues making his way down the slope.

[roll0]

kailkay
2014-04-26, 03:55 AM
Turor

"Whuah!" exclaims the less-than-graceful dwarf as he skids down the hill, rolling like a granite boulder before finally bumping into the elf. "Guwaah!"

With a groan, the dwarf finally comes to a semi-solid stop and carefully picks himself up. He looks down the hill to Taes and frowns as apologetically as he can manage while trying to maintain his balance. He shoulders his shield again and tucks his hammer to his belt before beginning a far more careful descent to the elf, picking his steps carefully and slowly.

"Torag's fiery blazes, are you alright, Taes? Clear out a bit in case I come careening again; I can't promise I'm as graceful as you slender folk."

Obligatory acrobatics roll: [roll0][roll1]

u-b
2014-04-26, 05:21 AM
You are able to descend the rest of the slope without serious consequences, although Thomas had to be extra careful with that big backpack of his and Turor slipped again and only barely avoided another slide downhill. The added effort after a whole day of marching was very fadiguing for those of you carrying the gear and some feel like they might have strained themselves (especially Taes who is barely walking).

Anyway, you are at the bottom of a relatively small valley and can see an archway of stone is set into the side of a small hill at the bottom of it. Moss has overgrown many of the details, but one is still quite clear. The keystone of the arch is carved with a flame symbol with a stylized rune in the middle. Beyond the archway is a darkened tunnel that leads to a pair of massive wooden doors, one of which is slightly ajar. A pair of horses and a trio of ponies lie slaughtered next to the archway, each corpse still tied to a post set into the ground nearby.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/crypt-entrance.jpg

By now the sun is likely below the horizon (not the horizon you see from the bottom of the walley, the "real" horizon).

Filliberd: 11/11hp
Taes: 4/10hp and 4 nonlethal damage, fatigued
Thomas: 8/8hp and 4 nonlethal damage, fatigued
Turor: 7/11hp and 3 nonlethal damage, fatigued, wet and cold

Smileybastard
2014-04-26, 08:36 AM
Thomas

Thomas removes his backpack and begins to scout ahead towards the horses bodies.

u-b
2014-04-26, 09:20 AM
Looking up closer, the horses seem to be slain two days ago with crude blades or perhaps claws. There are some very old bones scattered underneath one of the horses, but you'll have to move the carcass* if you want to count these bones or otherwise learn more about them as a set. The horses and ponies were obviously laden with gear and supplies, but now the saddlebags seem to be empty**.

*DC15 strength check required
**Thomas did not actually search the saddlebags, just sees they are nowhere near full

fendrin
2014-04-26, 09:29 AM
Ruhk

Seeing the dead horses, Ruhk gestures for everyone to be quiet.

He whispers to Taes:
"This ain't right. If those were ridden from the village, they should have been moved out of sight before we got here. No way the village would waste a few horses to make this seem real. Someone or something else is here."

Smileybastard
2014-04-26, 09:57 AM
Thomas

"There are older bones under the horses bodies and the horses have been dead only a few days. Killed by crude blades or claws."

Thomas carefully checks the saddle bags.

perception [roll0]

u-b
2014-04-26, 10:21 AM
Only one of the saddlebags is not empty. It contains:
- two days’ worth of rations
- a pair of large, comfortable pillows
- a quiver with 10 blunt arrows (as normal arrows, but they only deal nonlethal damage)
- two pints of lamp oil

Smileybastard
2014-04-26, 04:01 PM
Thomas

Thomas looks perplexed. "Pillows and blunt arrows?"

Kadiith
2014-04-26, 11:36 PM
Taes

Taes frowns and limps closer to the corpse, one foot barely managing to lift off the ground. He does his best to kneel beside the horse to get a better look as he inspects the marks, attempting to figure out if he could identify whether the maulings could have come from any animal he knew of. "You're right. This doesn't feel right." He tosses his gaze at the entrance to the crypts, brow furrowed in worry. If it battle find them soon, he determines to do his best to pull his weight despite his injuries.

Knowledge: Nature [roll0]
Perception, just in case [roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-04-26, 11:48 PM
Thomas

"We need to take shelter and rest up some, but this weather is not helping. "
He looks around to see if there is any shelter outside the crypt.
"Not sure I want to venture in there until we are in better shape, but not really wanting to stay out here either."

u-b
2014-04-27, 12:20 AM
Taes is unable to attribute the woulds to any specific animal. If it was an animal, it must be uncommon and strange - the wounds are not very large individually but rather high from the ground (assuming the horses were standing when they were attacked), and it does not seem any flesh was actually eaten.

Regarding the shelter, there is a dark crypt and there are your tents. If you do not want to go up the slope, but would like not remain near or inside the crypt, the only other option seems to be moving along the bottom of the vale. It's all sorts of damp here at the bottom, but so far, no real running streams.

kailkay
2014-04-27, 03:09 AM
Turor

"Let's move these carcasses somewhere else, and set up near the crypt, maybe?"

Turor bends down and attempts to tie his rope around one of the horses as best he can, and begins pulling to hopefully drag the poor thing off the bones beneath it.

Strength roll: [roll0]

Smileybastard
2014-04-27, 06:56 AM
Thomas

Thomas looks dejected and miserable standing, soaked in the rain.

"If you all want to do that, I will of course help, but this spot seems no better and potentially far worse than most spots. The smell of death could draw wolves and such and if there is some threat inside the crypt and it comes out, we will be right before it. I suggest we either move away from this spot and set up camp in the rain or go inside where it is dry."

Moranica
2014-04-27, 07:52 AM
Filiberd eyes the crypt curiously.

"Shoudn't we have a quick look inside the crypt? I mean, if there is a room near the entrance with just one entry, we could create a safe place by barricading it. Our last night outside wasn't so nice. And with these carcasses here... I'm tempted to try and find something with a roof."

u-b
2014-04-27, 09:12 AM
To be more specific, the crypt (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArecYaJ8hhFRdFlRcnNYeEZ4Zk1tY25RQ3J1bGxoc lE#gid=0), as you currently see it, is like so (colors are green grass, brown for earth floor, black for hillside and stone walls, white for unknown):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2301.png

Then there is a pair of massive wooden doors, one of which is slightly ajar. Behind them is blackness. Anybody could try to peek inside. Filiberd probably has a good chance of being able to squeese in without moving the doors. You decide if any of that is a good idea.

fendrin
2014-04-27, 04:16 PM
Ruhk

"Pillows and blunt arrows... these are here for us. I mean, someone from the village musta come here to camp out and set up an ambush, but 'course didn't wanna kill us. No way they woulda left this stuff out here for us to find. Something is definitely not right."

He looks at the door sitting ajar.

"Turor, you can peek in without a light, right?"

Moranica
2014-04-29, 02:38 AM
"Or I could have a peek inside with a torch. ..."

Then a smirk forms on Filiberds face.

"I won't go in like Bealoi Benkins did. I'll do it stealthy. I'm quite good at being stealthy if you ask me."

Got a +12 stealth for those interested. :)

Moranica
2014-04-29, 02:42 AM
"Yeah, I think I'll do that. Be right back."

Filiberd then lights one of his torches and throws it inside.

Kinda hard to be stealthy while carrying a torch.

After which he sneaks inside.

Stealth [roll0]

u-b
2014-04-29, 09:16 AM
Filiberd approaches the doors trying not to make throws a torch inside the crypt, then follows it, barely able to do squeeze between heavy doors.

Once inside the crypt, Filiberd quickly realizes that it is extremely hard to be stealthy in a hall devoid of any furniture and occupied by a bunch of walking skeletons, who slowly turn eye-socketed sides of their skulls from the torch towards the intruder. The stench of mold and rot hangs heavy in the air.

The torch does not give usual amount of illumination when lying on the floor, but still Filiberd can more or less see the whole of the hall. He he is most likely disinclined to spend inordinate amounts of time looking around. The most prominent features of this hall are risen platforms on either side, four stone columns, and a site of a gruesome battle in the center, with two human corpses and two non-walking skeletons scattered near them. An echoing wail can be heard somewhere in the distance, beyond this hall. The skeleton closest to Filiberd seems to be very old, with yellowish bones, wearing what remains of old rusty chain shirt, and a half-rusted-away scimitar. Filiberd does not see the other skeletons well enough to tell if they are any different, but at least some rusty mail seems to be present.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2302.png

F - Filiberd
S - skeleton (reds are walking, grays not)
D - dead man

Regarding the sneaking, you need either cover or concealment to hide. In this arrangenent you have neither. Filiberd won the initiative.

Moranica
2014-04-29, 11:10 AM
....... Oh dear.....

Quickly Filiberd realises his mistake. And shouts:
"There are undead in here!! I'm coming outside!!"

And tries to move through the doors, without moving them.

Outside he turns around an prepares to fight the skeletons. "Line up next to me! I'll grease them!!"

Assuming half movement due to squeezing. So moving 15 ft to T7. And Total defensive as my standard action, if I have one. (+4 dodge AC for 1 round)
Acrobatics if needed [roll0]

u-b
2014-04-29, 11:38 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2303.png

Turor: 7/11hp and 3 nonlethal damage, fatigued, wet and cold
Skeletons

Turor to act.

kailkay
2014-04-30, 10:50 AM
Turor

At the first cry of panic, the shivering, wet dwarf (What good are ponchos anyways?!) comes rushing up at a run as fast as his little dwarfy legs will carry him, to stand with hammer and shield at the ready, net to Filiberd.

"Torag's Might shall help me in striking down the unliving. Be ready, lads."

Smileybastard
2014-04-30, 11:50 AM
Thomas

Thomas rushed forward, "Lets bottleneck them at the doors!"

u-b
2014-04-30, 12:47 PM
Turor and Thomas rush towards the doors. One readying the hammer and the shield on the way, the other just trying to be there in time. Neither quite made it in time to prevent the whole gang of walking skeletons from collectively forcing one of the doors open and swarming upon Filiberd. Only one managed to swing his (it's?) rusty scimitar, forcing Filiberd to dodge the blow, but others seem like there are about to be doing the same.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2304.png

Filliberd: 11/11hp, not armed
Turor: 7/11hp and 3 nonlethal damage, fatigued
Skeletons
Thomas: 8/8hp and 4 nonlethal damage, fatigued, not armed
Taes: 4/10hp and 4 nonlethal damage, fatigued, not armed

Taes and Ruhk to act

Kadiith
2014-04-30, 03:45 PM
Taes

Taes grabs his bow and brings it around, notching an arrow and taking aim as quickly as he can. "We're coming, Filiberd!" He lets loose the arrow at the nearest skeleton he has sight on.

That's assuming he's at least within 100 feet of the nearest skeleton, which if I'm reading the map right it looks like he is. I'm terrible with maps, since my IRL group has never used them so I've got zero experience with them. If they are too far away, Taes will instead draw his weapon and move forward to get into range instead.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Moot point anyway, it appears. Bad Taes, you're a better archer than that. :|

fendrin
2014-05-01, 08:49 AM
Ruhk

Oh that halfling... he's gonna get somebody killed, I swear...

"Get outta there Fil!"

He quickly moves closer to the fight, being sure to keep Turor between the skeletons and his soft, unarmored flesh.

Should be able to make it to V21 if I have counted correctly.

Moranica
2014-05-01, 12:21 PM
"Alright, time to turn the battle to our advantage."

Filiberd steps back and casts grease on the ground in front of him.

5 ft step to S26
And grease on T27, U27, T28 and U28. Lasts 1 minutes. DC 13

u-b
2014-05-01, 01:20 PM
Filiberd's spell is effective and two of three skeletons in the greased area fall down clanking their bones and rusted remains of armors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2305.png

Underlined skeletons are prone. Our tactical maps in this game will always use 5-foot squares, so if you want to calculate the distance in feet, you simply count the squares (diagonal squares counting as 1.5, rounding the sum down) and multiply by 5.

Skeletons

Turor to act.

u-b
2014-05-03, 12:26 AM
Turor manages to reach one of the skeletons and absolutely smashes it in one mighty blow, bones and parts of bones scattering everywhere around. Skeletons in the greasy areas attempt to stand up and/or get past it, but are having limited success: one is unable to stand up, one falls, one is able to stand up and with a few jigs finally get to Turor, while the last one just enters greasy area and seems unable to make any progress through it. In other circumstances this might have been comical. The skeleton outside of the grease, oblivious to any of that, just steps forward and attacks Thomas, who easily dodges a rusted scimitar and then an unarmed attack of the skeleton.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2306.png

Underlined skeletons are prone.

Skeletons

Everybody to act, any order.

u-b
2014-05-03, 06:52 AM
Ruhk moves closer and to the side, near Filiberd, then mumbles some magic and points a hand with outstretched fingers at those skeletons. A cone of roaring flame shoots from his fingertips, engulfing four and causing two of them to collapse as two piles of burnt bones in rusted chainmail.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2307.png

S' - undead skeleton, burned for -2hp
S' - undead skeleton, burned for -2hp, prone
S - undead skeleton
S - un-undead skeleton

Skeletons

Filliberd, Turor, Thomas and Taes to act, any order.

Moranica
2014-05-03, 08:07 AM
"Nice! Finally, some magic killing."

Next Takes his club from his backpack and moves between Rukh and the prone skeleton.

Smileybastard
2014-05-03, 09:08 AM
Thomas

Thomas pulls out his new sword, shifts slightly and attacks the skeleton in front of him.

5' step to W25.

Attack [roll0]
Damage[roll1]

u-b
2014-05-05, 08:59 AM
Fileberd steps before Ruhk as soon as the flame starts to dissipate, the air is still being hot, with heat haze and easily recognizable smell. Thomas steps aside and attacks the skeleton, sticking the sword deep through the rusty chain, but cannot tell if the attack was a success - he does not observe any noticeable difference.

The new sword* is masterwork, so the attack should be at +4, a hit, that deals 1 point of damage.

*If that means the sword that was recently found, which might be either newer or older than Thomas' original sword. Anyway, the sword should be mentioned on the sheet along with the money. Really.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2308.png

S' - undead skeleton, burned for -2hp, tickled for -1ph
S' - undead skeleton, burned for -2hp, prone
S - undead skeleton
S - un-undead skeleton

Skeletons

Turor and Taes to act, any order. Please.

Kadiith
2014-05-05, 11:51 AM
Taes

Taes readjusts his grip on his bow and attempts to steady his grip, the pain in his side still giving him troubles. Trying to ignore the pain, he limps forward as quickly as he can manage before drawing back and lets loose another arrow at the nearest skeleton.

Move: hustles 45 ft, to 23-R
Attempts to shoot Skeleton at 26-U [roll0]
[roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-05-05, 09:06 PM
Thomas

Thomas moves around the skeleton further and attacks again.

5 foot step to W=26
Attack [roll0] flanking
Damage[roll1]

kailkay
2014-05-06, 01:04 AM
Turor

Looking at the skeleton that had been reduced to splinters of bones by his mighty blow, Turor decides to step forward (U26) and swing again, looking to knock another skeleton to pieces, specifically the one between him and the ominous chamber (U27)

"Back to the grave with you, abomination! Torag denies you!"

Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

u-b
2014-05-06, 09:30 AM
Taes, barely standing on his feet, tries to help fight the skeletons anyway, but the result is somewhat precictabe: not wanting to risk hitting his friends, but not sure he can aim true in this state, he again ends up aiming too high, and puts another arrow in hillside above the crypt entrance. Turor is also demonstrating consistency, smashing another skeleton. The fight between the skeleton and Thomas continues: the skeleton sttacks with both his bare "hand" and with a rusted scimitar, Thomas dodges... almost. He's just a tad too slow to evade one of the attacks and gets punched in the face by some old yellow bare knuckles. He tries to counterattack the flanked skeleton who apparently has no notion of tactics. That was a success of some sort... the sword went exactly where there would othervise be liver, except the skeleton had no liver, so sticking pointy thing in there had no real observable effect. The skeleton ferther away attempts to approach, but slips on the grease and falls to the ground.

I was not refreshing my memory about consequences of being fatigued until I saw Turor's rolls, and then *bang*, of course, it's -2 STR, -2 DEX among other things. Well, that does not change much of what already happened, so let's leave it as it was.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2309.png

S - undead skeleton, prone
S - un-undead skeleton

Skeletons
Thomas: 5/8hp and 4 nonlethal damage, fatigued

Filliberd, Turor, Taes and Ruhk to act, any order.

Moranica
2014-05-06, 10:42 AM
Eyeing his dwarven companion with utter respect, Filiberd moves in as well.

"Filiberd smash!"

He yells, while trying to hit the skeleton near Turor.

He moves to 25V and strikes at the skeleton with his club.
Club [roll0]; [roll1] damage

Smileybastard
2014-05-06, 09:32 PM
Thomas

Thomas attacks again while looking for something to serve as a club.

Perception [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

kailkay
2014-05-07, 11:25 PM
Turor

"Aye, Fil, like that!" The paladin cheers his comrade on, and steps forward to keep the prone skeleton from crawling by and attacking his comrades. He turns, however, to attack the same skeleton they're surrounding, letting loose a battleroar as he does so.

"TORAAAAG!"

Five-foot-step to U27, attacking skeleton in V26. Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] And yeah, it's been so long since I've been playing Pathfinder that I had to look up fatigued effects as well :P

u-b
2014-05-08, 12:37 PM
Filiberd moves in, but the skeleton reacts on him trying to slip past, swinging the scimitar just above halfling's head. Filiberd's response to this attack also has no effect - his club swings more than a foot short of the skeleton. Dwarf, cheering Filiberd and keeping his eyes on what is happening in that general direction, makes a step in another direction and is too late to realize he's entering the area the bard greased just before that. The realization happens with a loud scream ("TORAAAAG!", right) and a short flight down onto a pile of bones. The subsequent swing against the legs of a skeleton misses it's target.

I am assuming Filiberd did not exercise enough caution to move around the AoO.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62563118/Crypt%20snapshot%20%2310.png

S - undead skeleton, prone
S - un-undead skeleton

Filiberd: 11/11hp
Turor: 7/11hp and 3 nonlethal damage, fatigued, prone
Skeletons
Thomas: 5/8hp and 4 nonlethal damage, fatigued

Taes to act, Ruhk on half auto.