PDA

View Full Version : [d20/SAGA] Wise Teacher Rules

LibraryOgre
2014-02-26, 01:10 PM
You know, where you have a wise old teacher who's adventuring with everyone else, and you wonder why in the heck he's a wise old teacher if he's level 1 like the rest of them? This may be your Kreia/Darth Trayas, your Jolee Bindos, or keep your Obi-Wan Kenobis in line when you're adventuring with farm boys. This may also work when playing other d20 games, especially with the popular "make your character old for the stat boost" trick.

To play a Wise Teacher, you must start at least 1 age category older than everyone in the party not playing a Wise Teacher, with the attendant alterations to your attributes; minimum age category is Old. Furthermore, you have to decide how far your character got before "retiring"; it's suggested that it be at least 5 levels ahead of the starting party level, but no more than 10. You must plan out the complete advancement for those levels, complete with feats, talents, and class selections. As you advance, you cannot vary from this until you exceed your "old level."

As a Wise Teacher, you begin at the same level as the party, but with all the feats your character "learned" in that time; if you were once 10th level, you'll have the feats of a 10th level character at 1st level. However, there are some restrictions upon this. First of all, you have none of the advanced talents and class features you once had; you have the talents and class features of a 1st level character. If a feat you select is dependent upon a certain attack bonus, level, class feature or talent, you do not gain access to this feat until you possess that bonus again... you don't need to seek out a trainer, but you can't use it until you're ready. Secondly, you forgo all attribute improvements during this time; if you are a retired 10th level character, you will not get an attribute improvement at 4th or 8th level. You had those points once; they're lost, completely. Furthermore, your maximum result on any HD is half; even if you have a Constitution bonus remaining, you can get no better than half the die size on any given HD. This debility continues even after you've exceeded your old level.

I get the feeling this is still a bit powerful; those bonus feats can really add up, especially in SAGA.

Thrysierius
2014-02-27, 03:07 PM
It's posted above, read it yah lazy git :smalltongue:

Hmmm... I'm a bit torn on this honestly. While I like the age category requirement and half HD restrictions, I'm thinking the feat limitation might be just a bit too limiting. IMO I wouldn't necessarily want to follow or train with someone if they keep telling me about these cool abilities and things but can't actually DO them.

IE:

WI: "Hey there's this cool thing I can teach you! It's called the Flying Saber to the Face Kick"
P: "Really? Cool! Show me."
WI: "Oh, uh, I can't right now. Give me some time to practice it."
P: "......why am I getting instruction from you?"

I'd say loosen the restriction slightly by allowing the Wise Instructor to use an ability/talent/feat from a level or 2 higher than their current level once per encounter. They didn't necessarily forget how to do X, it's just been a while since they did.

Case in point: Obi-Wan didn't forget how to use Block or Mind Trick, he was just a bit out of practice.

LibraryOgre
2014-02-28, 10:59 AM
Hmmm. I was more thinking that they would be capable of teaching them, but not necessarily pulling them off in person. So, for example, Obi-Wan could TEACH Luke block on the Millenium Falcon, and could use Mind Trick (because he had the Force Training feat which gave him the power), but couldn't necessarily use Block himself, because it wasn't going to be unlocked until later in his advancement.

Maybe allow them to spend a force point to get use of the feat or talent for an encounter, rather than a free use per encounter?