PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Turn Undead

TheElfLord
2007-01-31, 01:30 PM
As I work to create a homebrew setting for an upcoming game I have developed a large pantheon of dieties. Some of these are from the books, some are made up or adapted from none DnD sources. These different religions have different flavors, and the ability to turn/rebuke undead doesn't seem to always fit. I'm planning to make cleric variations for some of the different religions and I'm looking for turn undead replacements. So what do people think the ability to turn undead is equal too?

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-31, 01:34 PM
It seems to be a little better than a feat. But not as good as some class abilities I could see substituting a bit bigger HD or more skill points maybe something like a single hated enemy. In 2nd ed they had specialty priests with different powers maybe some old source books could give you some ideas.

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-31, 01:45 PM
Bonus domain? I've also seen it suggested to leave the ability as "channel energy" which can then be used for Divine feats of various sorts.

How about, give all clerics the "channel energy," and then the choice of either a bonus Divine feat, or the classical turn/rebuke undead? Possibly also open it up to turning various sorts of elementals/outsiders, the way some domains let you do. You'd have to playtest it, obviously.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-31, 01:48 PM
I think you can use anything that could be used as a domain power.
Back in 2nd edition, Turn Undead was supposed to be a "ethos power" (a special power based on the deity's spheres of influence). Druids were priests (base cleric template) with diferent ethos, and diferent powers. You can use the same base ideas. See what powers these deities have, and what they grant.

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-31, 01:52 PM
Roderick, you mean replace the uses/day of Turn Undead with uses/day of a domain power? I like it! Although with some things that could get broken if a player goes for a high-Cha Extra-turning type build (Death domain, Strength domain...). For other domains (good, evil, healing etc) the ability wouldn't do anything.

NullAshton
2007-01-31, 01:54 PM
You could replace turn undead with 'free' divine feats. Just be careful with letting them get the 'extra turning' feat afterwards.

daggaz
2007-01-31, 01:59 PM
Instead of channeling energy at undead in a harmful way, why not channel that same positive energy to all your allies instead? Could work similiar to a paladins aid thingy, only better. Perhaps double the impact but a shorter duration.

Also, you could send forth a burst of energy which would still a battle. If the alignments of the parties involved (strictly a case by case look at attacker vs target) was the same along the good vs evil axis, then hostilities would be ceased for three rounds, after which they could begin again IF somebody decided to act that way. A strong force (either overwhelming morality, a sense of great balance, or a sense of impending destruction) would keep the targets from acting offensively during this period.

If the targets were within one mark on the same axis, it would still the battle but you would be free to reengage (and likely to do so without somebody making some diplomacy checks or some other action to stop it permanently).

If the targets are opposite alignments, it would still the battle only shortly, dazing targets of the opposite alignment of the casting cleric for a round or two, while targets of the same alignment would only pause in battle, with no negative check on continuing the offense (Initiative is rerolled, first for the undazed side, then for the daze). This dazing effect would be felt by any creature opposite in alignment to the casting cleric, despite the alignment of that creatures target, and no other effects would take place.

For example a good cleric finds orcs and goblins fighting, and calls upon his god to still the battle. A flash of light issues forth, and both orcs and goblins pause in their actions, looking dazed, some of them even dropping weapons in confusion. This lasts a round or two (whatever) at which point the creatures would probably turn on the cleric.

Another example, an evil cleric stands watching his hobgoblin minions battling a group of humans. He gestures with his fist at the heavens, a flash of darkness ensues with a soft, audible thump, and the battle pauses. The humans are left shocked and dazed, some gulping at the air like fish. The hobgoblins pause only briefly before grins split their doglike faces and the first black blades come crashing down..

Neutral clerics would only be able to still battles, not induce a daze.

This extraordinary ability would have no effect on creatures not directly involved in melee or casting offensive spells. A spellcaster who fails his saving throw automatically loses concentration. A spellcaster who makes his saving throw must still make a concentration check.

Obviously there would be something akin to a turn check, as well as SR and saving throws.