PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Looking for a class

Trollcranked
2014-02-26, 03:44 PM
Simple question. I want to know if there is a specific class that would fit well with an exotic dancer/songstress. I'd prefer it to not be a bard, but rather using movement and or dance in combat for spells/physical fighting. Anything will help, thanks ^~^

shylocke
2014-02-26, 03:47 PM
Dervish. Complete warrior PG25

Vhaidara
2014-02-26, 03:51 PM
Complete Warrior.

There's also the Cloaked Dancer in Complete Scoundrel that hypnotizes people by dancing then shanks them.

shylocke
2014-02-26, 03:53 PM
Complete Warrior.

There's also the Cloaked Dancer in Complete Scoundrel that hypnotizes people by dancing then shanks them.

That's the other one I was trying to remember.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-26, 03:55 PM
Battle dancer from Dragon Magazine Compendium?

They get abilities keyed off of tumble while adding Cha to AC in order to representing them dancing away from hits.

Telonius
2014-02-26, 04:03 PM
Strangely enough, a Monk/Cleric/Sacred Fist might fit the concept. (Perform is a Monk class skill).

NikitaDarkstar
2014-02-26, 04:15 PM
Scout (with a little dip of Rogue or Bard) into Dervish would be my go-to here. Scout is a movement focused base class, and dervish is a natural prestige version for it. But yhea, as has been pointed out, there's options for this. You could also go good old bard and pick up the Snowflake wardance feat (and you can still go for Dervish).

But yes, there's a few options for this.

Trollcranked
2014-02-26, 04:22 PM
is there a way to pursue the bard career with substituting playing an instrument with dance?

Vhaidara
2014-02-26, 04:24 PM
Yeah: you play a bard. Bardic music just requires a Perform Skill. You can even use Perform (Tea Ceremony).

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-26, 04:25 PM
is there a way to pursue the bard career with substituting playing an instrument with dance?
You can probably just talk your DM into letting you use Perform (Dance) for Bardic Music. If that doesn't work... maybe tie bells to your wrists and ankles and do a Morris dance?

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-26, 04:25 PM
Or perform (weapon dance), that'll give you some nice bonuses.

Zweisteine
2014-02-26, 04:26 PM
Is there a way to pursue the bard career with substituting playing an instrument with dance?
Well, you could always have your bardic music be you singing, and just happen to dance at the same time.
You might be able to get your DM to okay tap shoes as an instrument, operated by Perform (dance). If your DM hesitates to allow it, remind him that Bards aren't all that powerful. (Or suggest that tap dancing has its own category of perform, which prevents you from using it for anything else, or that it is operated by the lower of your ranks in Perform (dance) and Perform (percussion).)

Bloodgruve
2014-02-26, 04:30 PM
Its too bad that you want to avoid Bard. Snowflake Wardance feat is right in line with your vision. Inspire Courage can be used with Perform (Dance) and you can start stacking a bunch of modifiers if built for combat. I think Bard allows easy access to Cloaked Dancer PRC also. I actually think and IC built melee bard could be one of the stronger choices. Plus you get spells.

There is also a flaw from Dragon Magazine that requires you to make a perform check while casting spells.

Bards don't need instruments to Inspire Courage. Perform (Beatbox) what I usually go ;) Melodic Casting feat helps here too.

Great Bard resource here. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1109291)

IMHO

Blood~

Chronos
2014-02-26, 05:25 PM
You don't need to talk your DM into anything. Bardic music can explicitly use any form of performance, not just musical ones. Though Perform (Weapon Drill) specifically calls out that you can't use it for Bardic Music.

ksbsnowowl
2014-02-26, 05:42 PM
Spelldancer PrC from Magic of Faerun.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-02-26, 06:39 PM
You don't need to talk your DM into anything. Bardic music can explicitly use any form of performance, not just musical ones. Though Perform (Weapon Drill) specifically calls out that you can't use it for Bardic Music.

Indeed, and that is, as far as I know, the only exception from the rule. Otherwise it's just specified that your allies need to be able to see and/or hear you to be affected by your performance. Granted you'll want to fluff your abilities and performance to match each other but that's just good RP'ing anyway.

nedz
2014-02-26, 07:01 PM
Bardic Music

Once per day per bard level, a bard can use his song or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance.

Well Bardic music cannot be done with dance, well maybe tap ? But there are several options.

Santra
2014-02-26, 07:54 PM
Kingdoms of Kalamar has two classes that might fit what you want.

The Basarian Dancer which is basically a spell using sword dancer. Great fluff and (if the DM lets you use the bard spell list since they have a specialty one) a decent class. A few special abilities based around dancing.

The other is the Spellsinger which is basically a wizard that gets a free eschew materials feat at the cost of having to sing the spells.

Fair warning these classes are only half a step above 3rd party and homebrew.