PDA

View Full Version : Saves

kirerellim
2014-02-26, 05:29 PM
I am ashamed to ask this... but I've always used heroforge when I made multiclass characters. So... how do you add saves? If I take a level of fighter, wizard, and rogue... would I have +2 to all saves?

Nettlekid
2014-02-26, 05:42 PM
Yes, that is indeed how it works. Saves are additive. So if you have a Wizard 3/Rogue 2/Fighter 1, the Wizard levels give you +1/+1/+3, the Rogue levels give you +0/+3/+0, and the Fighter level gives you +2/+0/+0, so your total saves are +3/+4/+3.

BAB works the same way. However, multiclassing tends to bump up average saves because of that big potential +2 leap. Multiclassing tends to bump down BAB because you either get +1 or +0, and more often +0 than +1.

kirerellim
2014-02-26, 05:49 PM
I see... thank you! That seemed like a big bump I just wanted to check lol

drack
2014-02-26, 07:00 PM
Sometimes people use "fractional saves" though by which you add the fractions assuming linear growth. For instance if you get +1fort/2levels, assume in three levels you have 1.5 so when you get another .5 you'll have +2 rather then just getting the +1 and having to take 2 levels of the second class to make your way up to the extra +1.

(you can think of this as a variant of sorts, used to keep someone who takes five levels in different base classes with +2 to a save from having a +10 base save value)