PDA

View Full Version : Xykon is actually Law Good!

atteSmythe
2007-01-31, 03:03 PM
I mean, think about it! He...he...crap, I'm no good at this. Any takers?

TinSoldier
2007-01-31, 03:06 PM
He's... umm... consistent?

atteSmythe
2007-01-31, 03:07 PM
Yes! He doesn't follow laws, per se, but he has a system of strongly-held beliefs. And he's dedicated to Redcloak and the CITD, as evidenced that he hasn't killed them like the rest of his minions yet.

Hm. Gotta work on that 'good' part.

elliott20
2007-01-31, 03:09 PM
I like to somebody pull this one out of his backside.

krossbow
2007-01-31, 03:14 PM
can't be harder than belkar being chaotic GOOD.

Konrad
2007-01-31, 03:16 PM
can't be harder than belkar being chaotic GOOD.

It isn't chaotic good, its LAWFUL Good... Duh. You should learn your "random posts about people who think heroes should always be LW" lessons again :smalltongue:

Duke of URL
2007-01-31, 03:18 PM
I like to think I'm pretty good at spurious logic, but I'm not going to touch this one with a pole the size of the one stuck up Miko's backside.

chibibar
2007-01-31, 03:18 PM
Well....... it all depends which society you are in. For example, If I ever to live in an evil city in an evil realm. It might a good thing to lie, cheat and steal because it is normal.... killing someone why not!?

Of course everyone else outside of that realm will deem it as evil. It can be interpret by the majority of society.

Before when life expentancy was short it is alright to marry a 12 year old, but now it is illegal and very wrong (I think it is just wrong period) In some society it is evil to eat cows. In some society it is ok to hate other people (religion promote this a lot hate other religion)

Totally Guy
2007-01-31, 03:25 PM
Never mind Xykon...

You know Miko, in this latest comic she got de-paladinned, well I think it was because she wasn't obeying laws and got too chaotic. So she'll soon shift to Neutral good... but then after pouting and lazing about on her furniture in her underwear with a half eaten tub of ice cream she'll become chaotic good.

Eventually she'll regain her paladin powers as a slackguard, embracing all that is disorganised. :smalltongue:

Gashad
2007-01-31, 03:30 PM
Xykon is obviously good. I mean how many evil creatures hasen't he vanquished(sacrificed :)) Probably far more then the amount of good creatures he has killed, thus in average he is good.

TheNovak
2007-01-31, 03:32 PM
The Lawful alignment's about more than just obeying the laws of the land. It's not completely objective, but there are some things (like administering justice to a traitorous king) that are Lawful without actually, y'know, being within the law.

Like Batman.

Oh, and Xykon's a total paladin. Obviously, :mitd: is an uberpowerful demonic entity; the fact that he keeps it from acting completely benefits all Goodly races, everywhere.

krossbow
2007-01-31, 03:34 PM
Never mind Xykon...

You know Miko, in this latest comic she got de-paladinned, well I think it was because she wasn't obeying laws and got too chaotic. So she'll soon shift to Neutral good... but then after pouting and lazing about on her furniture in her underwear with a half eaten tub of ice cream she'll become chaotic good.

Eventually she'll regain her paladin powers as a slackguard, embracing all that is disorganised. :smalltongue:

I would loved to see an episode of miko lounging around in her underwear :smallbiggrin:

But ask yourself this: In Batman begins, was Ras Al Ghul Lawful Good?
________
Ford taurus picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Taurus)

Duke of URL
2007-01-31, 03:35 PM
The Lawful alignment's about more than just obeying the laws of the land. It's not completely objective, but there are some things (like administering justice to a traitorous king) that are Lawful without actually, y'know, being within the law.

Like Batman.

"Lawful" is following a particular code of conduct, and being faithful to it. If that code of conduct says "kill everyone with red hair", then you're perfectly "lawful" if kill all red-heads, whereas sparing them would be "chaotic".

Of course, the example is a bit silly, as the code of conduct should make some kind of sense, and there is a secondary part about respecting reasonable laws above and beyond your own code, as long as they don't conflict.

TreesOfDeath
2007-01-31, 03:36 PM
Xylong is wearing an invisable helmet of oppisite aligement. That or this comic is evil propaganda about a group of jerks stopping a good wizard from realeasing a cute little critter imprisiioned by some cold bastards because it chewed their slippers

chibibar
2007-01-31, 03:36 PM
I would loved to see an episode of miko lounging around in her underwear :smallbiggrin:

But ask yourself this: In Batman begins, was Ras Al Ghul Lawful Good?

Interesting point, their job is to eradicate evil in the extreme sense (gee sounds like Miko) They believe in doing their own justice beyond normal laws (again... sound like the recent Miko)

TheNovak
2007-01-31, 03:39 PM
Ras Al Ghul was Lawful Neutral. Good cause (destroying evil in the movie, protecting the planet in the comics), eeeeeevil way of doin' it, but a strongly Lawful outlook either way.

teratorn
2007-01-31, 03:41 PM
In the strips we have seen so far he was responsible for a huge number of goblin deaths. He knew his minions were not up to the challenge and he sent then against the OOTS anyway. In that way he reduced the amount of evilness in the world (a Good thing), while offering them some chance in battle (a Lawful thing). And he fed the angry monster at the tower.

But what about the Good characters he wasted? Well, there we have to consider his next step, taking his huge hobgoblin army to be wasted at Azure city. Those few good characters were a necessary sacrifice for the greater good. But he was kind enough to keep them as undead so that later it will be just a question of de-undeading them and resurrect them.

About the gates and Dorukan it's just a misunderstanding. He wants to send the MITD home but of course he can not say so to Red Cloak.

Ok, I'll stop here.

atteSmythe
2007-01-31, 03:45 PM
Aha! Xykon knew that deep down, Miko was corrupted! Since she's the highest-ranked paladin in Azure City, it's Xykon's duty to strike down her and her sinister order of so-called 'paladins!'

Tulnavara
2007-01-31, 03:51 PM
Well....... it all depends which society you are in. For example, If I ever to live in an evil city in an evil realm. It might a good thing to lie, cheat and steal because it is normal.... killing someone why not!?

Of course everyone else outside of that realm will deem it as evil. It can be interpret by the majority of society.

Before when life expentancy was short it is alright to marry a 12 year old, but now it is illegal and very wrong (I think it is just wrong period) In some society it is evil to eat cows. In some society it is ok to hate other people (religion promote this a lot hate other religion)

It being "normal" or even allowed does not mean it is good. Following a law does not automatically mean you are good, it means you are lawful.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-31, 04:03 PM
Yes! He doesn't follow laws, per se, but he has a system of strongly-held beliefs. And he's dedicated to Redcloak and the CITD, as evidenced that he hasn't killed them like the rest of his minions yet.

Hm. Gotta work on that 'good' part.

That's because Redcloak isn't useful as an undead. If Xykon could make him a mindless slave who still had all the powers of a high level cleric he would. Actually he probably wouldn't due to undead HD limits.

Hel65
2007-01-31, 04:08 PM
Of course he is lawful good. His sole quest is to protect the gates from being used by the vile OOTS (they register as evil! well, at least one of 'em) - look how he outsmarted them in Dorukan, so they destroyed the gate instead of claiming possession of it. He also deduced that Shojo is a scheming evil overlord, wanting to take control of the Gates with the help of OoTS, and Xykon manipulated... erm... allowed Miko to see the light of truth about Shojo and unleashed her, thus weakening the evil plan and giving Team Xykon a chance to smash the evil forces of Azure City and OoTS to pieces before they can continue (while also getting rid of up to 87 legions of evil hobgoblins).

Also, he keeps a powerful creature of evil (or is it? new debate: what alignment :mitd: is?) at bay and makes an evil priest of a goblin god's life miserable.

Lawful Good all the way. Joins :thog: and :belkar: in the club of good-aligned characters.

pendell
2007-01-31, 04:17 PM
Of course :xykon: is lawful good! He seeks to gain power from the snarl and impose a new order of peace and justice on the world .. a new order based on his social framework.

He looked and saw the world was unjust, ruled by squabbling factions. He decided the world needed a strong leader -- one who would clean up the mess, put a stop to the bickering and quarreling, and bring about peace, prosperity, and justice for all.

So determined was he to bring this about that, when it became obvious he didn't have enough time remaining in mortal life to do this, he made the ultimate sacrifice, condemning himself to eternal lichdom for the sake of the good of the world. He does evil only for the sake of the greater good.

And the hobgoblins? *Sigh* Look, he's on a budget. Not everyone can afford high-n-mighty Paladins. Hobgoblins are cheap and don't come with a Paladin's stupid prejudices against appearance or their stupid moral code that prevents them from doing what's necessary.

Yes, he sacrifices minions to do his job. Most generals do. Read the fictional words put in R.E. Lee's mouth in "The Killer Angels"

"To be an officer means you must love the army ... but it also means ordering the death of the thing you love. And that is why there are few good officers, although there are many good men".

---

Points to the first person who can point out the flaws in this argument.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

-- who notes that any argument for :xykon: being lawful good could also apply to Emperor Palpatine, who (in his universe) was able to convince *large portions* of the galaxy that not only was he lawful good, but that he was something of a hero --

chibibar
2007-01-31, 04:22 PM
Well..... it all depends on what is good really. We live in a society where helping people, donate money, donate time, and well be kind and such are consider good. It is our realm of reality.

What if there is a world of the opposite where such acts are crime? or even consider evil? I know it would be a total opposite world but it is something to think about.

That is why I say "good" is relative to the collective society.

Lemur
2007-01-31, 04:23 PM
Xykon knows that the prison that holds the Snarl is weakening, so in trying to break the barriers further, he wants to help the gods. You see, the gods tried to get rid of the problem they created by hiding it away from sight. This clearly is an irresponsible action on the part of the gods, so Xykon is trying to release it to confront the gods about the reality of their mistake. Clearly, a lawful act.

Furthermore, making the gods deal with the Snarl again would mean they'd have to find a way to resolve the problem for good. Then they could remake the world again, but this time without a giant source of hate trapped within it, resulting in a much better world. You see? Xykon's such a good guy he wants to make the world a better place.

What about all those goblins and hobgoblins he keeps killing? Well, they are inherently evil races, so sending them to their deaths can't be a bad thing now, can it? And since they're helping him in his ultimate goals, they're actually doing some good themselves, so Xykon's actually trying to redeem them as well. That's more than you can say for a certain party of adventurers, who don't even try to help the poor creatures, who are really victims of their own nature, if you think about it.

And that tower of good creatures he slaughtered? Well, they were actually working together. You see, they fought Xykon because they thought he needed the experience points, to help him out later on.

And if that doesn't convince you, then maybe a little capslock will, because all of it TOTALLY MAKES SENSE.

Green Bean
2007-01-31, 04:28 PM
Of course Xykon is LG. He follows a strict set of behaviours (kill and zombify), so he's lawful. . A good character wouldn't destroy an entire plane of reality. And Xykon hasn't either. Therefore, Xykon is good. Ipso facto

Haruki-kun
2007-01-31, 06:26 PM
Never mind Xykon...

You know Miko, in this latest comic she got de-paladinned.....

Can we talk about something OTHER than Miko?

Im not sure about good, but I have a feeling Xykon's not exactly Chaotic................. but I can't back it up. Sorry

Setra
2007-01-31, 06:36 PM
Can we talk about something OTHER than Miko?
For the love of god it's the truth!!

Anyways back on topic:
Xykon is Good, how can you tell?

He defeated the Stereotypical Evil Wizard who lives in a dungeon.

He kills many Ogres, and Goblins.

He seeks the Snarl's power, because the Gods themselves are evil! He must save the earth!

dragongirl13
2007-01-31, 10:15 PM
If :xykon: is lawful anything than he's lawful evil. Liches CAN'T be good. The Monster Manual states that a lich is always evil.

krossbow
2007-01-31, 10:41 PM
If :xykon: is lawful anything than he's lawful evil. Liches CAN'T be good. The Monster Manual states that a lich is always evil.

and monsters of Faerun says they CAN.

TinSoldier
2007-01-31, 10:45 PM
*Uses the Aid another action to help dragongirl13 detect ironic threads*

Cybren
2007-01-31, 10:54 PM
Oh how astute

skreweded
2007-01-31, 11:32 PM
Ok, Ill take a shot at this.

Xykon is good. Right now, if I am correct, his point is to use one o' them thar portal thingies to make the universe stop existing, right? If I am wrong, discard the rest of this post..

The universe, as a whole, has failed. If people can work their whole lives, and be killed by their house cat because they forgot to give him/her food, something is wrong. The world needs to be redone, and the only way to do that is to make space, by getting rid of the current one. Xykon is SO good, he is actually willing to remove his own existence for the better good, of having a good universe!

Now.. lawful...

Hmm.

Ok, so, what are laws for? To make life easier, and for the better good, no? Read above.

Of course, I am probably way off here.. soo.. whatever.:smallbiggrin: