PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Staff of Limited Wish, Staff of Permanency too good?

Drachasor
2014-02-27, 03:31 AM
Edit: Basically, I'm just curious as to what people think about PF Staves of Limited Wish or Permanency or even Wish (but mostly Limited Wish and Permanency). Balanced? Not? Why?

Below are my thoughts and an overview of what I am talking about:

So in PF Staves are rechargable and hold only 10 charges...

Recharging Staves: Staves hold a maximum of 10 charges. Each spell cast from a staff consumes one or more charges. When a staff runs out of charges, it cannot be used until it is recharged. Each morning, when a spellcaster prepares spells or regains spell slots, he can also imbue one staff with a portion of his power so long as one or more of the spells cast by the staff is on his spell list and he is capable of casting at least one of the spells. Imbuing a staff with this power restores one charge to the staff, but the caster must forgo one prepared spell or spell slot of a level equal to the highest-level spell cast by the staff. For example, a 9th-level wizard with a staff of fire could imbue the staff with one charge per day by using up one of his 4th-level spells. A staff cannot gain more than one charge per day and a caster cannot imbue more than one staff per day.

They cost 400*Spell Level*Caster Level to make, plus 50*Material Component cost. If the spell uses more than one charge, then you divide both costs by the number of charges. (That's for the highest level spell, the next spell reduces the non-material component cost to 75%, and additional ones are 50%).

So a Staff of Limited Wish costs:
7*13*400+1500*50 = 111,400 -- note this price and below prices are the cost to make this staff, not the purchase price.

Now, whenever this gets brought up on the PF forums (which is rare), everyone always acts like this is immensely overpowered. OMG, a Limited Wish supply that never runs out! However, I've noticed the PF forums have a tendency to treat anything nice that isn't explicitly an option as "too good and the DM should stop it." So I'm skeptical of this opinion.

WBL in PF has a 13th level character owning about 140,000 gp woth of stuff. So they can't make the Staff then. At 15th level it's about 240,000 gp, so that's the earliest this seems remotely feasible. Most realistically we're looking at 17th level though, where WBL is 410,000 gp -- the staff is just a bit over 25% of your WBL then.

So by then, have a stockpile of Limited Wish doesn't look nearly as good. You have 8th and 9th level spells. The Staff let's you pick out any 6th level Wizard spell or any 5th level Non-Wizard spell to cast on a whim...but these spells are going to be pretty weak compared to your 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells. Granted, being able to choose one spontaneous is nice.

Further, that's enough money for 42 Scrolls of Limited Wish. That's fairly likely to cover all of your Limited Wish needs and you don't spend any spell slots on it.

Further still, that's enough money for 74 castings of Limited Wish normally. Very similar to the staff in that it uses a spell slot. Though the staff lets stock up and use multiple ones in one day without spending more than one slot.

Further, a Staff of a particular 7th level spell is worth 36,400gp. An 8th level spell is 48,000gp. So a Staff that has three 8th level spells you can pick from is cheaper than the Staff of Limited Wish -- and that's without even trying to do anything to cut costs.

Granted, you can make the Staff of Limited Wish cheaper by having it consume more charges (which is the only way to really reduce the cost much, since most of it comes from material components). But this makes recharging it take long and you have a smaller battery of Limited Wishes, so it is easier to run out.

The story is pretty similar for a Staff of Permanency. This costs a bit more if each charge is worth 2500gp. Yes, it lets you permanency multiple things and replace dispelled permanent effects at no future cost (other than recharge time). But you pay a crap-ton for it up-front. Enough to probably cover all of your permanency needs anyhow, even counting Dispels.

Frankly, I don't see how these are too powerful. I would even think it reasonable for the DM to allow multiple charges to be used to up the Material Component for the spells (so if each charge is worth 2500gp on a Permanency Staff, then you can spend 3 charges to cast Permanency with a 7500gp component for instance). That seems pretty reasonable and not overpowered to me.

A Staff of Wishes is kind of similar to this. Except you can't even afford one at 20th level (it's about 1.25 million gold). You can't even really get one at 2 charges per Wish. It's crazy expensive. And again, if you have a 4 person party, then making the staff is enough money for ~13 Wishes per person, which can be done much quicker than the Staff allows (maybe a week to 10 days compared to 52 days). But I grant this is more powerful in the long run than a Limited Wish Staff or Permanency Staff simply because of the Inherent Bonus aspect. Again though, you can't actually afford it in a normal game.

Anyhow, what do people here think?

icefractal
2014-02-27, 04:23 AM
Hmm. I'm not seeing any maximum number of charges a spell can consume. So:

Staff of Wishing: Wish (10 charges)
Cost: 17*9*40 + 5*25000 = 131120 = 65560 to make. Easily affordable by 17th level. Slow, but if you have a lot of downtime then why not? Get multiple of them if you can afford it, for the higher inherent bonuses.

But - forget that. The campaign will probably be over before that point. Instead, get this:

Staff of Simulacrum: Simulacrum, 14 HD (10 charges)
Cost: 7*13*40 + 14*500*5 = 38640 = 19320 to make. Get a hair sample from any creature up to 28 HD (I'm assuming you have an Orange Ioun Stone by this point) and you can make a copy every ten days. Convert downtime straight to an army.

Drachasor
2014-02-27, 04:37 AM
Sure, that's possible (we'll ignore the Dev recommendation that you don't go higher than 3 charges).

You made a small error though.

17*9*40+5*25000 is the COST, not the price. Further, you wouldn't divide the material component in half anyway.

So the Staff of Wish/10 costs 131120gp. Affordable by 17th, sure. So it is a fair bit over 1/4 of your Wealth. And it would require 50 days of recharging to earn back the money you spent on it (during which time you are down one 9th level spell, which is a pretty big deal). If you do have large swaths of overtime, it is worth it, but a limit to +1 inherent bonus to all stats isn't all that impressive. If you wanted +2, then you could just spend twice the money by halving the charge cost for a Staff of Wish/5. 260k is quite a lot even for a 20th level character (about 1/4 of their wealth).

The Simulacrum Staff is similar, costing 38640, not half of that. That does make simulacrum faster , but if you have a lot of downtime then you could make them normally(edit: casting time doesn't change, so it is no faster). You have spent enough here for 77 Hit Dice worth of Simulacrums, so that's quite a lot (again, it would take over 50 days for you to come out even). Though note, Simulacrum is bonkers in PF since they removed the material component for no discernible reason.

But I do agree stuff like this could be nice if you have a lot of downtime -- though there are lots of crazy things you can do with a lot of downtime. You really do need a ton of downtime though if it takes 10 days per use.

I guess I'm saying it seems good to me. But there's quite an opportunity cost here too. Edit: It's worth remembering as well you can only recharge one charge per day and only one staff. So if you have multiple staves then you have to make up the cost of making them one at a time (roughly speaking). You could potentially cheat with Staves for spells of level 5 or less by using Simulacrums that cast 5th level spells though. By that doesn't help with Simulacrum, Wish, or Limited Wish staves.

Drachasor
2014-02-27, 07:27 PM
Hmm, no other thoughts?

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-27, 07:48 PM
Blood money makes wish an easy thing to come by. No need to burn money on a staff, and you can get +(9th level spell slots) to each stat in about a week.

Jack_Simth
2014-02-27, 07:54 PM
Well, you've pretty much gone over the various benefits and drawbacks of the DM letting you make custom staffs willy-nilly. Pathfinder staves:

1) If the spell has a material component, it's worthwhile... if you're going to use that spell a LOT (the start up costs are prohibitive).
2) If the spell has an effectively stacking permanent effect as well (such as Permanency and Simulacrum), then it's exceptionally useful during long stretches of down time.

Blood money makes wish an easy thing to come by. No need to burn money on a staff, and you can get +(9th level spell slots) to each stat in about a week.
So... how are you casting the spell 'within one round' after you've just taken 50 points of strength damage? A readied action from your cleric buddy to hit you with a held-charge Restoration when you collapse?

Drachasor
2014-02-27, 08:35 PM
Well, you've pretty much gone over the various benefits and drawbacks of the DM letting you make custom staffs willy-nilly. Pathfinder staves:

1) If the spell has a material component, it's worthwhile... if you're going to use that spell a LOT (the start up costs are prohibitive).
2) If the spell has an effectively stacking permanent effect as well (such as Permanency and Simulacrum), then it's exceptionally useful during long stretches of down time.

Yeah. It can definitely be worthwhile. Overall it doesn't seem too powerful to me. Can be quite handy though.

So... how are you casting the spell 'within one round' after you've just taken 50 points of strength damage? A readied action from your cleric buddy to hit you with a held-charge Restoration when you collapse?

You Magic Jar into something with a lot of strength. PF has a number of ways to boost strength -- you can very easily add 20 points onto the base strength of a creature. It's not too hard to get 60 strength this way, and you can approach 70. That's not counting ways to reduce strength loss via magical items -- that can get another 6 or so points.

That said, Blood Money is so ridiculously broken that I don't think any DM should allow it -- unless they are going to cap how much money it can replace. Though that's really just saying "material costs for some spells don't really matter."

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-27, 09:43 PM
Or you just have a cleric standing by to cast one of a number of spells to restore your strength. It just takes one point of strength healing to pop you back up, so stand and start casting.

Stoneback
2014-02-27, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking for.

Are you asking us to justify the creation of such an item to some other party, such as your DM? Or what?

It seems perfectly doable to me, but prohibitively expensive.

Drachasor
2014-02-27, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking for.

Are you asking us to justify the creation of such an item to some other party, such as your DM? Or what?

It seems perfectly doable to me, but prohibitively expensive.

I'm just asking for people's opinions on whether it seems reasonably balanced or not.

It seems so to me, but I want to hear what other people think. I looked around for opinions before posting. I only saw some on the PF forums and those just seemed to be people overreacting (imho).

I edited to the OP to make this clear. I thought the title would be sufficient, but maybe not.

Drachasor
2014-03-01, 02:25 AM
Hmm, well, I'll try one last bump. Somehow I am never very good at getting responses to threads like this.

Jack_Simth
2014-03-01, 08:53 AM
Hmm, well, I'll try one last bump. Somehow I am never very good at getting responses to threads like this.
Well, in essence, you already went over the benefits and drawbacks. What is, or is not, 'too good' depends on the optimization level of the gaming table - and thus, people who are not at your gaming table don't really have much space to comment. We can tell you how exactly to get a return-on-investment, and what circumstances under which that is useful, how long it takes, or certain problems with it. Trouble is, here, you've already gone over most of the benefits and drawbacks, you've already calculated your return on investment, you got the listing of useful circumstances within a few posts, and it's a pretty straightforward application of the interactions with the only potential issue being 'Your DM does not let you make custom staffs, requiring you to use only published ones' and most people on these forums are loathe to mention DM fiat in this sort of context. Plus people here are a little less familiar with Pathfinder, by and large, than they are with 3.X.

Drachasor
2014-03-01, 09:20 AM
I guess I was thinking there were probably insights and perspectives I didn't cover.

QuidEst
2014-03-01, 09:22 PM
I guess I was thinking there were probably insights and perspectives I didn't cover.

Yep, there is! This comes along around level 17, you say. Let's take a moment to consider a level 17 Arcane-bloodline Sorcerer. Like all good Sorcerers, she's picked up the Robe of Arcane Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/robe-of-arcane-heritage). That gets her access to the capstone a few levels early.
Whenever you use magic items that require charges, you can instead expend spell slots to power the item. For every three levels of spell slots that you expend, you consume one less charge when using a magic item that expends charges.So now instead of expending high-level spell slots to recharge, she's casting those Limited Wishes off of third-level spell slots eight or nine times per day. When she runs out of third level spells, no problem. Anything she could cast off of fourth level spells, Limited Wish will do. Ditto for fifth and sixth. All of a sudden, we have a Sorcerer who casts any sixth-level or lower wizard spell using slots 3-6.

Obviously, a Staff of Wishes would be an even bigger problem. (I should mention that a Ring of Three Wishes does not use charges, and thus is not eligible for this sort of abuse.)

Drachasor
2014-03-03, 03:48 AM
Yep, there is! This comes along around level 17, you say. Let's take a moment to consider a level 17 Arcane-bloodline Sorcerer.
Obviously, a Staff of Wishes would be an even bigger problem. (I should mention that a Ring of Three Wishes does not use charges, and thus is not eligible for this sort of abuse.)

I do remember reading about that. I think that's the only abusive thing about it (otherwise I think the amount of money you spend on it balances out). The ability is pretty overpowered in general (you can turn your 3rd level slots into 9th level spells on a staff for instance).

I think it is unclear whether this ability works with the Luckblade.