PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Howling Chain Spell: How Good is it in Gameplay?

Miss Disaster
2014-02-27, 04:15 AM
The 6th Level Wiz/Sorc spell from the Spell Compendium ... Howling Chain ... looks to be like an interesting and versatile spell. It seems to get a lot of positive testimonials. Yet I never hear or see of any actual gameplay talk about the spell.

While I really like that it is a [Force] spell (useable vs. Incorporeals), can do multiple Tripping AoO's and can participate in the Fear Escalation Factor ... I have concerns over its fixed 15' radius and its fixed and rather mediocre follow-up melee attacks on tripped characters (+12 melee attack).

So I'm wondering if any of you who've actually used this spell can attest to how well it actually plays out.

Thank you!

Psyren
2014-02-27, 08:59 AM
Actually, despite being [Force], it won't do much to incorporeal creatures:

Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled. In fact, they cannot take any physical action that would move or manipulate an opponent or its equipment, nor are they subject to such actions.

It's also not quite as useful against spellcasters as the description and picture imply. After all, you can cast just fine while prone, so simply being tripped isn't going to make you autofail. It is useful for the ability to AoO, but the rules are unclear on whether you can trip someone who is already prone, or what happens if you do.

Big Fau
2014-02-27, 11:13 AM
It's also not quite as useful against spellcasters as the description and picture imply. After all, you can cast just fine while prone, so simply being tripped isn't going to make you autofail. It is useful for the ability to AoO, but the rules are unclear on whether you can trip someone who is already prone, or what happens if you do.

Tripping someone while they are casting a spell may constitute violent motion, forcing a Concentration check (either a DC 15 or DC equal to Howling Chain's save DC, depending on which one the DM chooses).

Psyren
2014-02-27, 11:18 AM
Tripping someone while they are casting a spell may constitute violent motion, forcing a Concentration check (either a DC 15 or DC equal to Howling Chain's save DC, depending on which one the DM chooses).

I agree, but they can still cast while prone and it's unclear if they can be tripped again if they don't stand.

The image in SpC is very misleading - it depicts the chain wrapping up (grappling) the enemy spellcaster instead of tripping them.

Miss Disaster
2014-02-27, 12:41 PM
Thanks for your replies so far.

And just to note, a lot of people rave about how awesome and effective this spell is in combat. Yet ... I just don't see why.

It comes online at a minimum of 11th level. Which is a level that a lot of enemies will just easily avoid the small radius ... or they aren't that detrimentally affected by trip tactics ... or they'll have a high AC that trumps the low-ish follow-up melee attack bonus (+12).

It just seems like an over-rated spell with an overcosted (500gp) focus price.

Psyren
2014-02-27, 01:02 PM
I think people like it because it's a thematic control spell to have on a "forcemage." It's also extremely strong - +15 to the trip check is equivalent to 40 Str, meaning you can reliably trip giants and similar bipedal bruisers.

But where it truly becomes useful is due to the ruling that allows trip attempts to stall flying creatures. Given its decent range, you can launch it quite far into the air and snatch even dragons out of the sky. For instance, an adult red dragon (CR 15) has a pretty good chance at failing its strength check against this thing (33 vs. 40) and plummeting to earth.

The damage and the shaken condition are the least noteworthy aspects of the chain.

Miss Disaster
2014-02-28, 12:11 PM
It's also not quite as useful against spellcasters as the description and picture imply. After all, you can cast just fine while prone, so simply being tripped isn't going to make you autofail. It is useful for the ability to AoO, but the rules are unclear on whether you can trip someone who is already prone, or what happens if you do.Yeah, that assigned picture makes no sense.

After some investigation, it seems the picture *does* make sense for the PGtF version of Howling Chain - which is significantly different in game mechanics for the overhaul and simplification it received in the updated SpC version. Both versions are really completely different spells.

--

Also, Psyren, you brought up a good point ... the "space you designate" (quote from the spell description) for the Howling Chain's anchor point can be located on the ground *or* up in the air. The latter being an excellent point of versatility for the spell in regards to dealing with flyers (as you mentioned).

Psyren
2014-02-28, 12:16 PM
Indeed - because it is an evocation rather than a conjuration, you can make it appear in empty space rather than on a surface that can support it.

Miss Disaster
2014-02-28, 12:20 PM
Indeed - because it is an evocation rather than a conjuration, you can make it appear in empty space rather than on a surface that can support it.Well, there's outliers like the oddly school-listed Melf's Unicorn Arrow ...

Miss Disaster
2014-03-01, 11:50 AM
I'm curious about something else with Howling Chain.

Let's assume we have an 8th level metamagicked spell - Fell Frighten Howling Chain.

If the follow-up attack hits and does damage ... and the target fails its save, it is Shaken. Does the additional Fell Frighten attachment trigger as well once the damage is applied ... and then cause the victim to Frightened instead of Shaken?