PDA

View Full Version : PF: Modified Golem Rules?

NecroticBanana
2014-02-27, 05:27 AM
So a player wants to try out the golem armor modification as described in Ultimate Magic, but we're confused as to what bonuses and penalties he gets while wearing the golem. Does he get the golem's STR bonus to damage, or is he limited to just the golem's natural attacks? how about speed? does he gain any of the golem's special abilites? it just seems like this is little more than an overpriced breastplate.

Drachasor
2014-02-27, 05:38 AM
The rules are pretty vague, and the FAQratta makes Golem Armor downright awful and still leaves the rules vague on some areas.

With the FAQratta it's like breastplate, though I don't remember if it even modifies AC. The golem just acts as a hitpoint sink, but anything the golem is immune to affects you normally. Whether or not you can use the golem's abilities or order it to use its own abilities is unclear. That includes natural attacks. Doesn't seem like it can carry anything for you or use its strength stat in any way either.

In other words, you'd be better off with a large golem and using it as a mount, overall. Construct Armor is just terrible. You're basically paying a 35k to have your golem sit back and do nothing. Or just make it a Shield Guardian -- that's just 10k more and it can act on its own.

Or make an Animated Object that you can ride inside of. That works too.

Or you can figure out some house rules on how it should work, but that would take some effort to figure out something balanced.

NecroticBanana
2014-02-27, 03:56 PM
Wow, that's really disappointing. i was hoping that the rules for wearing the golem would be very Iron man-ish. I suppose i can home brew something if my player is still interested.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-27, 04:08 PM
Wow, that's really disappointing. i was hoping that the rules for wearing the golem would be very Iron man-ish. I suppose i can home brew something if my player is still interested.

For something iron man-ish play a synthesist summoner.