PDA

View Full Version : Shield for a Paladin

Suteinu
2014-02-27, 08:53 AM
I've a group that is going through White Plume Mountain, one of whom is a Paladin. His heavy steel shield was destroyed by the dwarven vampire, who was in turn destroyed by player craftiness. To replace his shield, and with the help of the dwarven cleric and the crafty fighter, he has converted the lid of the vampire's adamantine coffin into a shield. Blessed all the hell out of it.

What kind of shiled is this, for purposes of stats? Not a quiz; I need guidance.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-02-27, 08:56 AM
Count it as an adamantine tower shield for the purpose of proficiency and such.

Segev
2014-02-27, 09:03 AM
Yep. Assuming the DM has okayed all your work as making it count as a shield, it's a tower shield.

hamlet
2014-02-27, 09:07 AM
I would say that, unless craft magic item or whatever is applied, it's just a shield made of adamantum.

However, making it a "weapon of legend" or something, a thing that kind of grows as it's carried along and the great deeds done with it rub off might be kind of cool.

Perhaps it has some extra boost to defense against vamps and other shapechanging/incorporeal creatures?

Telonius
2014-02-27, 09:25 AM
If it's the entire lid, it's a tower shield. He'd certainly be able to cut it smaller, if he wants a heavy shield instead of a tower shield.

Do note that an Adamantine Shield doesn't give much of a bonus mechanically, compared to a masterwork shield. (All adamantine items are considered masterwork, so they have the +1 to attack or the -1 ACP built in). The big difference is that it has higher hardness, and a third more hitpoints than an equivalent masterwork shield.

Personally, if I were the DM, I'd allow him to put a holy symbol on it and get a circumstance bonus to Turn Undead. Having a vampire-coffin shield is just that badass.