PDA

View Full Version : Morbid thought regarding Durkon

rbetieh
2014-02-27, 10:38 AM
I was reading some posts elsewhere and I realized something that is on its face a bit disturbing....

For months, Durkon was standing upon the corpses of one of his most hated enemies the trees. Considering papercuts are considered Treevenge, I would have thought that he would have had serious problems with the idea of standing around on and sleeping in what is essentially a giant pine box. How was he able to take this so calmly? He might have literally danced on his enemies bodies....

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-27, 11:04 AM
Are you talking about the Mechane? Because I think its only been a day or two at most since he boarded. Not to mention its Not-Durkon in control of the body.

rbetieh
2014-02-27, 11:05 AM
Are you talking about the Mechane? Because I think its only been a day or two at most since he boarded. Not to mention its Not-Durkon in control of the body.

Hinjos Junk actually

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-27, 11:21 AM
In that case, I think he had more pressing concerns than a running gag. Like the fate of his friends, of the tear in the universe, etc.

eaglewingz
2014-02-27, 11:29 AM
I believe Durkon would be more considerate than to dance on Hinjo's junk.

factotum
2014-02-27, 11:44 AM
Surely standing on the corpse of a fallen enemy is something he'd celebrate? And it can't be the first time it's happened, either--I bet pretty much all the floors he's been standing on while inside human buildings are wooden ones, too!

Grey Watcher
2014-02-27, 11:46 AM
Well, I imagine that Hinjo's Junk is well-polished. Indeed, I'm sure he has many people whose sole duty is to see that everything is smooth and pleasant to the touch. After all, we can't have a monarch's personal junk prone to having pieces break off in the middle of use. That would be scandalous!

Vinyadan
2014-02-27, 12:34 PM
The only good tree is a dead tree. So, lotsa good trees in the fleet.

Also, congrats to Grey Watcher for giving new lymph to an old strip :smallbiggrin:

Seto
2014-02-27, 12:53 PM
I believe Durkon would be more considerate than to dance on Hinjo's junk.

I just have to hand it to you, that sentence made me burst into laughter.

LordRahl6
2014-02-27, 01:50 PM
I'm trying to recall this correctly from the MM but doesn't a vampire need the soil from his grave to line his coffin, or is that just in the traditional stories?:smallconfused:

Edit: Thanks Keltest for the assistance!:smallwink:

snikrept
2014-02-27, 02:02 PM
Given the racial hangup with trees perhaps we'll see some tree-related trophies and such in the dwarven lands. Like a helmet or armor with branches on it instead of, say, bull horns or bear claws. Taking the carcass of the fearsome beast for one's own, & etc.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-27, 02:21 PM
Maybe Durkon doesn't know what boats are made of?

Keltest
2014-02-27, 02:38 PM
I'm trying to recall this correctly from the MM but doesn't a vampire need the soil from his grave to line his coffin, or is that just in the traditional stories?:smallconfused:

That is not a rule in D&D that I have heard about. Besides which, not all vampires (like Durkon) were buried.

Grey Watcher
2014-02-27, 03:13 PM

Edit: Thanks Keltest for the assistance!:smallwink:

As mentioned above, I don't believe that's in any of the official rules. It is a plot point in Dracula. Whether Stoker found such legends in research or just made it up, I don't know.

Vinyadan
2014-02-27, 03:27 PM

That seems likely to me.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-27, 04:51 PM
Durkon is so fond of Hinjo's junk, he doesn't care what it's made of.

rbetieh
2014-02-27, 06:13 PM

But it floats, and therefore made of wood, and therefore...

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-27, 06:31 PM

You're assuming that Durkon is aware of wood's buoyant properties. Also, wood is not the only thing that floats in water.

Besides, boats function mostly on the principle of water displacement rather than actual buoyancy. A boat made of steel will still float.

BaronOfHell
2014-02-27, 06:37 PM
Everything that floats is everything that floats.

rbetieh
2014-02-27, 06:43 PM
You're assuming that Durkon is aware of wood's buoyant properties. Also, wood is not the only thing that floats in water.

Besides, boats function mostly on the principle of water displacement rather than actual buoyancy. A boat made of steel will still float.

An alternate explanation of what I may or may not be doing with my last comment could be remembering when it is or is not appropriate to burn witches....

Nah, I am assuming that Durkon is wise in the ways of science :-D

goodpeople25
2014-02-27, 09:50 PM

burn the tree!!!

MagicalMeat
2014-02-27, 10:49 PM
...therefore, if it weights as much as a duck, it must be a witch's boat (geez people, can't you see the obvious reference :smallwink:)

Vinyadan
2014-02-28, 06:04 AM
If I have to be serious, Durkon's hammer shaft could be made of wood. Like having a sword whose hilt was carved out of your enemy's bones. And he could have been dancing the cruelty dance for months in that ship. And that's why he always had walk on water prepared: he was fearing some sort of measureless treevenge with the whole fleet sinking to spite him.

...so becoming a vampire may have been karma, now that I think about it.

Ok, maybe not so serious.

Keltest
2014-02-28, 07:25 AM
...therefore, if it weights as much as a duck, it must be a witch's boat (geez people, can't you see the obvious reference :smallwink:)

yeah, but now we have to put a quarter in the "monty python refrence" jar.

rbetieh
2014-02-28, 11:00 AM
If I have to be serious, Durkon's hammer shaft could be made of wood. Like having a sword whose hilt was carved out of your enemy's bones. And he could have been dancing the cruelty dance for months in that ship. And that's why he always had walk on water prepared: he was fearing some sort of measureless treevenge with the whole fleet sinking to spite him.

...so becoming a vampire may have been karma, now that I think about it.

Ok, maybe not so serious.

And now the vampire him is walking around holding Malacks evil magic wooden staff.....It's all just a little morbid when you reduce it down to it's simplest elements...

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-28, 01:44 PM
And now the vampire him is walking around holding Malacks evil magic wooden staff.....It's all just a little morbid when you reduce it down to it's simplest elements...

A staff is not always made of wood, y'know. :smallwink:

Vinyadan
2014-02-28, 01:48 PM
A staff is not always made of wood, y'know. :smallwink:

Especially if it's the one Malak helps himself with when making children :winkwinknudgenudge:

MagicalMeat
2014-02-28, 09:30 PM
Especially if it's the one Malak helps himself with when making children :winkwinknudgenudge:

I get that you are implying something naughty, but have no clue as to what exactly you are implying.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-28, 09:43 PM
I get that you are implying something naughty, but have no clue as to what exactly you are implying.

He's implying that Malak uses a different sort of "staff" for making children; staff being a euphemism for something completely different.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-28, 11:09 PM
He's implying that Malak uses a different sort of "staff" for making children; staff being a euphemism for something completely different.

It's the "staff" that men have between their legs. :smallwink::smallbiggrin::smallsmile::smallcool:

rbetieh
2014-03-01, 12:56 AM
It's the "staff" that men have between their legs. :smallwink::smallbiggrin::smallsmile::smallcool:

If you have to explain the joke...oh forget it :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, the thing that Durkon demanded Laurin return looks to have been made of tree parts, not metal or stone, or chocolate for that matter.

KillianHawkeye
2014-03-01, 05:13 AM
But yeah, the thing that Durkon demanded Laurin return looks to have been made of tree parts, not metal or stone, or chocolate for that matter.

How can you tell? Just because it's brown? :smallconfused:

ti'esar
2014-03-01, 06:40 AM
Back before it was established that the vampire wasn't Durkon, I remember a lot of people coming at this from a different angle: becoming a vampire had finally given substance to his fear of trees, because what's a vampire's biggest weakness (besides sunlight)? A wooden stake.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-03-01, 09:05 AM
How can you tell? Just because it's brown? :smallconfused:
I would say that Nale throws it too far (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0906.html) for it be solid stone or metal, and chocolate would probably melt in the desert heat.

LordRahl6
2014-03-01, 01:19 PM
Back before it was established that the vampire wasn't Durkon, I remember a lot of people coming at this from a different angle: becoming a vampire had finally given substance to his fear of trees, because what's a vampire's biggest weakness (besides sunlight)? A wooden stake.

Aye, there's something that the vampire HPoH and Durkon would theoretically have in common. Whether that's true is another question, being in the same category as boat, carts, handles of weapons largely among other things Durkon been around.:smallwink: