PDA

View Full Version : A Wall of Flesh

eastmabl
2014-02-27, 10:39 AM
In our last session, my gaming group encountered an early model warforged NPC in the dungeon they're delving. The warforged had come into the dungeon 150 years before, and he was the only survivor of a TPK. He hid in a secret room with the body of his artificer master, who "needed to rest for a while."

When the party asked him what he had encountered in the dungeon, he said that his party had delved the dungeon, but the party had broken under the advancing "wall of flesh." In my mind, an early model warforged would view an advancing wall of zombies as a wall of flesh, so that's how I phrased it.

The rogue said (out of character), "Wall of flesh? That sounds like a monster." To which I thought, "Sounds like a monster? Sounds like a good idea" - especially since fighting another zombie is kind of bland.

So, I put this out to you - is there a monster that might fit the description of wall of flesh? Or do you have an idea for what a good idea for a wall of flesh might be?

My first thoughts were either to (1) mash up a gelatinous cube and the zombie template, or (2) make the walls of the dungeon hallway to be a wall of flesh sewn together and brought to unlife which will slam and grapple the party.

This should be somewhere between CR 3-5.

Thanks!

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-27, 10:41 AM
Flesh ooze would be perfect but too strong. You could use a discolored gelatinous cube and give it a unique bonus damage affect vs fleshy creatures.

Nettlekid
2014-02-27, 10:49 AM
The first thing I thought of (well, after Wall of Stone hit by Stone to Flesh) was Wall of Limbs, the spell. Perhaps they're about to enter a labyrinth composed entirely of Wall of X spells, and the first one the Warforged saw was Wall of Limbs. But then there's also Wall of Fire, Water, Smoke, Gears, Gloom, Sand, Ice, Eyes, Bones, Ooze, Chains, Vermin, and more. You could have the walls be mounted on moving pistons which cause the labyrinth to change (hence the Wall of "Flesh" was advancing toward the Warforged), maybe controlled by levers and panels within the maze itself, like you might find in Pokemon games. By travelling through the maze the PCs make their own way out. Since some walls are partially permeable (Smoke and Sand for example) there could be times that the party has to make risk assessments about whether they want to charge through the walls to get to what's on the other side, especially if it's critical they get out from where they are right now. You could also populate the maze with Grappling and Bull Rushing monsters designed to shove creatures into the Walls.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-27, 10:50 AM
Wall of stone -> Stone to flesh -> Animate Object.

Maginomicon
2014-02-27, 11:17 AM
Well so far as behavior, there's the Terraria Wall of Flesh (http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Wall_of_Flesh)

The Wall is very large, occupying the entire screen vertically. Once spawned, it steadily sweeps across the map in a single direction, forcing the player to constantly move away for the duration of the fight while contending with the Underworld's usual hazards. The Wall moves faster as it gets more wounded.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/data/avatars/l/82/82975.jpg?1325968297

eastmabl
2014-02-27, 11:22 AM
One thought on the ooze front would be to advance a gelatinous ooze, sub in the ooze traits for undead and zombie traits and remove the acid attack. The Engulf attack would be fun, as the zombie arms grab at their target and hall them in.

As for the wall of stone -> stone to flesh -> animate object, I'm trying to determine how you would craft the monster. Would you say to use something like a large animated object, pull the construct traits and give it undead traits similar to zombies (like DR 5/slashing, natural armor bonus, +2 Str / -2 Dex and single actions only)?

Ravens_cry
2014-02-27, 11:27 AM
It could also have hands and arms reaching from the wall, giving it a grapple attack to adjacent creatures.

Zubrowka74
2014-02-27, 11:29 AM
It's more of a trap than a monster.

NotScaryBats
2014-02-27, 11:29 AM
2nd Edition had the gem Living Wall (http://www.dotd.com/mm/MM00186.htm) (those are its stats from the Monstrous Manual). It is precisely what you're looking for, I believe. Added bonus because it absorbs all creatures that die near it, so your warforged's master will be a part of the wall now.

Someone updated it to 3.5 Here for you (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/template/living_wall.htm) and made it a template that you can play around with to fully customize the thing.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-27, 11:31 AM
Nah, just animate the pile of flesh as an animated object of appropriate size. Laugh as the cleric tries to turn undead on it.

eastmabl
2014-02-27, 11:43 AM
2nd Edition had the gem Living Wall (http://www.dotd.com/mm/MM00186.htm) (those are its stats from the Monstrous Manual). It is precisely what you're looking for, I believe. Added bonus because it absorbs all creatures that die near it, so your warforged's master will be a part of the wall now.

Someone updated it to 3.5 Here for you (http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/template/living_wall.htm) and made it a template that you can play around with to fully customize the thing.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, although my critique on the wall is that it should have a -5 penalty to Dex for being immobile. Thank you.

The warforged's master was in the secret room with him. They ran away together, and the master said that he needed to "rest for a little while." He died in his sleep, but the warforged was damaged in the attack and lost track of the concept of time. 150 years later, the party found the room, and told him that his master was dead.

Nah, just animate the pile of flesh as an animated object of appropriate size. Laugh as the cleric tries to turn undead on it.

This isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but it makes me giggle heartily.

NotScaryBats
2014-02-27, 11:56 AM
Yeah, glad I could help. 2nd ed has a lot of cool monsters that just never made the switch up to 3. I love exposing people to them <3

Drachasor
2014-02-27, 11:57 AM
Hmm, I lean towards taking the rough stats of the Gelatinous Cube. Remove Engulf and Paralyzing Slime. Add Improved Grab and Swallow Whole (let it swallow anything one size category less or smaller). Anything it eats gives it one more hit die, gaining size as appropriate (use G.Cube's advancement). At max advancement, it can spawn a 5HD Wall by consuming one creature and losing 4HD (taking it down to 20HD).

It's attacks should be treated whirlwind attacks (hitting everyone within reach), but only require a standard action to use.

That's probably about the same CR, maybe one higher.

Drogorn
2014-02-27, 12:11 PM
Looking at the flesh jelly, I don't see any reason you couldn't pit one against the party. Just treat it like you would a lava flow, rather than as a fight. It's incredibly dangerous, but smart play would allow them to simply avoid the thing or find a way to kill it other than pitched battle.

lunar2
2014-02-27, 02:31 PM
iirc, there is an actual flesh wall in dungeonscape. it's made out of the stitched parts of zombies, and will attack anyone within 5 feet of it.

Rubik
2014-02-27, 03:16 PM
How about a bunch of corpses Fabricated together into horrific shapes and then animated via Psianimate Dead (from Hyperconscious) or some mass undead-raising spell?

nedz
2014-02-27, 03:35 PM
Living Wall is also in Dragon 343 p49

Ravens_cry
2014-02-27, 03:37 PM
How about a bunch of corpses Fabricated together into horrific shapes and then animated via Psianimate Dead (from Hyperconscious) or some mass undead-raising spell?
Or, worse, they're not undead but alive and conscious.
It's a living wall after all.:smallamused:

Rubik
2014-02-27, 03:56 PM
Or, worse, they're not undead but alive and conscious.
It's a living wall after all.:smallamused:Note that Psianimate Dead and some higher level undead creation spells allow the creature(s) to retain its (or their) original personality/ies.

Erik Vale
2014-02-27, 04:08 PM
That's... Horrific.
*Subbing*

nedz
2014-02-27, 04:32 PM
You could just use a Gelatinous cube with a Hat of Disguise — or some other illusion.

Rubik
2014-02-27, 04:46 PM
You could just use a Gelatinous cube with a Hat of Disguise — or some other illusion.Yep. (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-4-18/) Fibblesnatch

Ravens_cry
2014-02-27, 04:52 PM
Note that Psianimate Dead and some higher level undead creation spells allow the creature(s) to retain its (or their) original personality/ies.
I did not know that. Fascinating.:smallamused:

Rubik
2014-02-27, 05:09 PM
That's... Horrific.
*Subbing*According to Psianimate Dead, they retain their mental ability scores, their alignments, and all the knowledge they had in life (other than the use of their class abilities or their Su/SLAs). Yeah, it's pretty awful, though it does depend on what's done with them. If it's just, "Sorry, we don't have a True Resurrection handy, so you'll have to help us cart your corpse back to town, but we've got Gentle Repose available so you probably won't even notice that you're really dead," it's not so bad. But once you start getting into rotting, Fabricated, amalgamated meat trees...

The-0-Endless
2017-05-21, 06:17 PM
A living wall from 3.5 advanced would be perfect if you added movement speed and made it a low-power one. If you added more than 5 beings in it, then it could be to strong. Four low-level adventurers (Maybe the warforged's party members + 2 more). That would do the trick.

Mike Miller
2017-05-21, 06:36 PM
http://forums.crackberry.com/attachments/news-rumors-f40/179809d1373210666t-apple-going-down-billions-tax-fraud-thread-necromancy.png