PDA

View Full Version : Item familiar and spell use

Hiro Quester
2014-02-27, 11:45 AM
I'm considering an item familiar for my next feat. Probably my sword, since my char is (about to be) a 15th level bard/sublime chord, who is starting to enjoy buffed melee combat.

Getting the alertness feat, a few bonus skills, and adding keenness and spell use to my sword for free sounds darn useful, as is getting a bonus 5th rank spell.

Giving the sword spell use is very attractive, since the sword could cast spells as a free action, and my getting an extra spell off at the beginning of combat can make a big difference to an encounter.

But at this level I'm about to learn my first 7th rank spell, which means the sword would have a 7th rank spell slot and a 5th rank spell slot.

Spell use lets the sword cast these spells on my free action command, but it needs the casting stat.

But the sword cannot have enough CHA to cast those spells (basic sapience gives it a 12 CHA). Even using an enhancement to give it +4 CHA still only gets it casting 6th rank spells.

So I have a few options.

(1) Accept the limitation, and not be able to have the sword cast spells, because invested spell slots are beyond its casting ability. My reason for posting is that I would like a work around for that.

(2) Ask the DM if I can trade off less intelligence or wisdom for a high enough CHA that it can cast these spells. Normal is 10/10/12, but could it have 6/7/19 ( enough to be able to invest a 9th rank spell when I get them)?

(3) Ask the DM to allow that, items that buff my charisma (+6 cloak) also affect the sword.

(4) Ask the DM if I can leave invested spell slots at the sword's highest level. If I enhanced its CHA with the standard +4 to 16 having it cast a 6th and a (bonus) 4th rank spell wouldn't be so bad.

If you were the DM, what case would sound most reasonable? Are there other options I have not thought of here?

Thanks in advance!