PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a backup character?

IIzak
2014-02-27, 11:52 AM
Okay, so I have a very stupid dwarf fighter barbarian that is pretty low op and mainly just taking stuff to rp with him. If(when) he finally bites the dust, I'd like to make a new character that'll mesh well with the group and compete, but will still not overshadow anybody.

I'd like to play something interesting and a bit unusual, but still be a frontliner that can make sure that the squishier people in the group don't get to much punishment.

Any ideas on what class/build I should run would be greatly appreciated. No TOB, but bonus points to someone who thinks up something that is interesting and unusual. Party currently consists of a human Ranger/Druid, a human Cleric of Obad-hai, and a Forest Gnome Archivist (We all seem very nature oriented lol).

Everyone at the table except me is pretty new to dnd as a whole, so they aren't super optimized and I don't want to overshadow, but I'd like versatility and to be able to easily survive on the frontlines. Thanks in advance.

Red Fel
2014-02-27, 01:18 PM
Play a Melee Warlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708).

You won't have the most powerful base melee attacks, or the best armor. But what you will have are a set of skills. Skills that make you a nightmare for -

Sorry. You'll have invocations. You'll be able to turn invisible, fly, teleport, and shoot lasers. You get to do all sorts of useful tricks, and unlike spells, you get them at-will. All day long.

Then you can punch things. With lasers. While flying. Invisibly.

Despite its appearance, the Warlock isn't actually high-op. Its damage output isn't all that impressive in the long run; it can't blast like a Wizard and it can't melee quite as well as a Fighter. But it's fun. And the Melee Warlock is even more fun.

Metahuman1
2014-02-27, 01:37 PM
I'd consider looking at the Binder from Tome of Magic or the Totemist from Magic of Incarnum. Fun, flavorful, versatile.

gorfnab
2014-02-27, 01:42 PM
A melee focused Bard might work. Something like Bard 8/ Paladin of Freedom 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3. Use Inspire Courage (or Dragonfire Inspiration) to boost your group or whatever they summon. Use Snowflake Wardance to boost your melee attacks.

Bard Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=frvf0h0umsjh50ba7san61kp03&topic=8686)
Inspire Courage Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=frvf0h0umsjh50ba7san61kp03&topic=8936)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-27, 02:47 PM
Human or Strongheart* Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater), Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Warshaper 4/ Ranger +1 or Nature's Warrior 1/ Master of Many Forms 3. Obligatory Master of Many Forms Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1060931).

If you'll be able to reliably get Wildling Clasps (MIC) so your gear still works when wild shaped, get Power Attack, Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Robilar's Gambit, Multiattack, and Defensive Sweep. Gear should include Armbands of Might with an Enhancement bonus to Str and Dex added (MIC p224) and a Wilding Clasp, along with a Monk's Belt with a Wildling Clasp. Always Power Attack for -2, as the Armbands give you an extra +2 damage when you do so. An item with a Wilding Clasp on it 'continues to function' when you wild shape, and one function of a belt, whether magical or mundane, is to hold other items, so any items on your Monk's Belt will still be usable when you wild shape. Your few Ranger spell slots should all have Rhino's Rush prepared in them, and get a bunch of 1st level Pearls of Power and keep them in your belt. Carry a masterwork Glaive for when you're not wild shaped.

If you cannot reliably get Wildling Clasps, and you're high enough level that you can be Wild Shaped nearly all the time, get Sacred Vow and Vow of Poverty. Other feats should still include Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Multiattack, Frozen Wild Shape, Robilar's Gambit, and Defensive Sweep. Frozen Wild Shape allows you to turn into a Cryohydra once you get huge size forms, and Robilar's Gambit allows you to make a 12-bite AoO whenever someone attacks you.

*Strongheart Halfling (FRCS) loses the racial luck bonus to saves, and gains a bonus feat like Humans have.

genericwit
2014-02-27, 10:30 PM
I'd consider looking at the Binder from Tome of Magic or the Totemist from Magic of Incarnum. Fun, flavorful, versatile.

Totemist actually melds with the flavor of the group really well. Totemists can be melee monsters, and definitely hold down the front lines... Plus they harness the power of beasts, and your party is definitely wilderness focused.

Then again, a melee bard could really help shore up the skill monkey role (between spells and plenty of skill points) if you find that you're having issues with that sort of thing.

Thrawn183
2014-02-28, 01:37 AM
A strength focused Rogue.

Bloodgruve
2014-02-28, 01:57 AM
Totemist, Warforged or Kobold can get up to 9 natural attacks at 2nd lvl. Never had the opportunity to play this but it looks fun as hell.

If homebrew is an option check out Binder / Totemist / Midnight Occultist. With your vestige and soulmeld options you could play a different character every day.

I always enjoy the Knowledge Devotion on a Duskblade or melee Bard.

Any melee class that uses a spiked shield as a 2h weapon? With some fun feats like Combat Brute, Shock Trooper, Bloodspiked Charger..

Problem is you're running with T1's. I'd maybe suggest an Ardent with some varied Mantles. Maybe get some Polymorph going with it. Get Dimension Hop and go to town. Whats better then a teleporting multi-headed Hydra? And Dimension Hop is a Swift action IIRC. There is also an ACF that allows you to sort of customize your mantles and grab powers that you like.

Blood~

IIzak
2014-02-28, 08:52 AM
Problem is you're running with T1's.
Blood~

That won't be as much of a problem, just because the people playing those characters don't realize that their running tier 1's. They barely know the system, and are unlikely to really optimize. I'll definitely check out the totemist though; Warforged totemist with 9 attacks? Yes please. If you could post a general guideline on how to pull that off, without using flaws because my dm won't allow them, that'd be appreciated.

Red Fel
2014-02-28, 09:14 AM
I'll definitely check out the totemist though; Warforged totemist with 9 attacks? Yes please. If you could post a general guideline on how to pull that off, that'd be appreciated.

Obligatory Totemist Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287304). Scroll down to the section on "Increasing your number of natural attacks".

As an aside, you can also look up "King of Smack" builds using Totemist.

Further side note, if your Totemist is Good-aligned, consider taking the Dragonborn template; while the template is awesome on its own, the reason it's relevant here is that it gives you the Dragonblood subtype, which gives you access to Draconic Soulmelds (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=4).

Ruethgar
2014-02-28, 09:34 AM
My top two choices have already been said, totemism and claw lock(go with the fey background to match flavor). If you could use ToB feats I would suggest the shifter barbarian(barb 1/shapeshift druid 1/cleric of passion 1).

Suteinu
2014-02-28, 09:43 AM
Swashbuckler/Fighter or Swashbuckler/Rogue. Be the misplaced urbanite among the nature-boys (making you more like the Natureboy! WHOOOOOOOOOOO!).

Red Fel
2014-02-28, 09:53 AM
My top two choices have already been said, totemism and claw lock(go with the fey background to match flavor). If you could use ToB feats I would suggest the shifter barbarian(barb 1/shapeshift druid 1/cleric of passion 1).

Ooh, shifter! Now there's an idea! Go Shifter Druid/Moonspeaker! (Obligatory Shifter Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225294).)

Why, you ask? Well, first, Shifter Druid substitution level 1 replaces your animal companion with a "Beast Spirit," which is basically a scaling power-up that you can change each day. The the second substitution level replaces your Resist Nature's Lure with a bonus to Reflex saves and initiative (and a penalty to Will saves, not like those are an issue for you). The fifth substitution level is rubbish and should be avoided.

But this all gets you into Moonspeaker, which basically makes you a god among kings. First, you get increased Wild Shape progression, and major boosts to your shifting, which means you get to remain a melee powerhouse. Second, it's a full spellcasting class, meaning your Druid spellcasting remains overwhelming. Third, you get some truly obscene summons, meaning that not only do you get to fight on the front lines, but you never have to do so alone.

The thing about a character this powerful is that, with all its options, it doesn't have to be. You're worried about overshadowing the party? Don't take Natural Spell, so while you're in beast mode, you're simply going full melee. Alternatively, pare back your use of SNA. Basically, when you have the entire tool chest to choose from, you can decide whether you want to use the simple screwdriver or the pneumatic power drill with optional seven-bit attachments and a laser sight.

Bloodgruve
2014-02-28, 10:43 AM
That won't be as much of a problem, just because the people playing those characters don't realize that their running tier 1's. They barely know the system, and are unlikely to really optimize. I'll definitely check out the totemist though; Warforged totemist with 9 attacks? Yes please. If you could post a general guideline on how to pull that off, without using flaws because my dm won't allow them, that'd be appreciated.

I'm AFB but something like Jaws of Death + Garillion totem bind soulmeld + Slam + Roc Span (Dragon Mag soulmeld) + Dragon Tail (Dragon Magic iirc). That's 8, now that I think of it Kobold could get 9. Take Deepspawn feat for 2 tentacles.

Dip Spellthief and get Craven for 1d6+lvl damage to each attack when flanking ;) Also take Master Spellthief, this will allow you to forgo 1d6 SA dmg per attack to steal a spell. Depending on your DM's interpretation of Master Spelltheif you may not be able to retain the spells but you could quickly drain casters ability to cast with so many attacks while still doing Craven damage.

Dip Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian or Cleric with Travel Devotion n Undeath Domain for movement+full attacks.

GL
Blood~