PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a 3.5 cleric I'm making, please!

aleucard
2014-02-27, 02:20 PM
Alright, a few things to mention.

1, my DM allows for creative builds of any kind, with the caveat that he will adjust to keep challenging the party. My current character is a Clawlock using MammonAzrael's rework here ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12388331 ) with the Demonic lineage and 1 (soon to be 2 on level 8) dip in Swordsage to make him more mobile (Sudden Leap and Leaping Dragon Stance on SS Lv. 2, everything else is gravy), using a pair of Claw Gauntlets instead of boosting my natural weapons (though I can attack with them as if they were natural weapons). The party Rogue has a pair of Assassin's Creed-ish blade gauntlets where one does added electricity damage (can be nonlethal) and the other has an unspecified to me knockout poison constantly active on it (presumably, thanks to an enchantment). A Sorcerer (read: Pyromaniac, he's trying to be Harry Dresden and more comes off as a spellcasting version of the mute from TF2) was allowed to take CLW as an arcane spell 1 level higher. The party Druid is currently bonded with a Drider (explained as Woodland Critter type marriage, though this won't be explained properly in-character until later, basically she's a Cohort). My previous 2 characters (which were scrapped at my direction for being overpowered in the case of the one that controlled homebrew constructs and too goofy in the case of me playing as X from the relevant Megaman games after being flung through a minor BBEG's experimental Gate at high enough speed to nearly break a solid stone pillar about 60' in front of it) are even more absurd, as explained previously. Expect me to be able to do several fun things if I can convince the DM it would be interesting/amusing.

2, my current character concept (though if you got one more interesting, I'm all ears) is me playing the son of the Talos preacher from Skyrim, probably a Cloistered Cleric. The exact circumstances of my introduction to the game are undecided, though. As far as Talos goes, though, I'm probably going to either have him represented in one of the traditional 3.5 deities with just a namechange (my guy calls this specific person one thing, the locals call him another) or work with the DM for something homebrew. Recommendations for relevant things like what Domains he's got available would be helpful.

3, at minimum he's going to show up at level 7, since that's where our party is at now. He could be postponed until the next campaign, he could show up next session; as long as something to the order of That Damn Crab don't surprise the DM, then he has no problem killing someone for thematic sense. Railroading is a complete non-issue, but he's not going to pull too many punches. Recommendations for what to do at all starting levels would be nice.

If I can think of any more stipulations, I'll post them. This looks about right, though, so any help you can provide would be massively appreciated!

hemming
2014-02-27, 03:19 PM
Man - I'm kind of confused by your post so I just want to clarify: Are you looking for advice on building a 7th level cleric (with a homebrew Talos deity)?

aleucard
2014-02-27, 09:52 PM
Man - I'm kind of confused by your post so I just want to clarify: Are you looking for advice on building a 7th level cleric (with a homebrew Talos deity)?

Ideas and pointers, mainly. Yeah, I got the handbook, but some thoughts related to my specific case would be nice.

hemming
2014-02-28, 03:24 AM
St Cuthbert is the first thing that comes to mind as a Talos analog if you go the route of "commoners worship my god by a different name" - which could be kind of a cool angle for a cleric IMO

Both are mortal men who ascended to god status. Both lawful

In Skyrim, Talos is all about law, order, justice and tradition - so if you homebrew you could go lawful good or lawful neutral

Possible domains for homebrew Talos: Law, protection, strength and war (he was a warrior emperor)

I'm a terrible optimizer, so I can't really help with the other aspects of your build

Edit: Talos should reside in the Heroic Domains of Ysgard or you could homebrew a Sovngarde plane for him to reside in

Saintheart
2014-02-28, 07:15 AM
At some point look into Law Devotion and the Ordained Champion PrC from Complete Champion. Ordained Champion has nice synergy with Law-based clerics IIRC.

Going unarmed? For better action in that department given you're apparently being allowed to treat your claw gauntlets as natural weapons -- wear a Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic): 10,000 gp gives you Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack. Necklace of Natural Weapons to apply weapon bonuses to your fists. Might want to consider a Monk's Belt; ideally you can sweet-talk your DM to allowing Swordsage levels to count as Monk levels for the Belt's purposes, but either way monk unarmed damage and a +1 or so to AC might be useful to you.

Also, a glorious little trick I found waaaaay back somewhere in these forums: grab an ordinary, mundane Scholar's Outfit which includes a robe, right? Now then: turn to p. 234 of the MIC and scan the table there. See how it says adding a +8 armor bonus to a set of mundane clothing costs you 15,000 gp or so? Well, your robe is certainly part of your mundane clothing. And stuff like Magic Vestment can be applied to a robe. And because it's not a set of plate armor, no Armor Check Penalty applies, and no max DEX bonus, either, so Divine Agility now boosts you efficiently on Initiative, AC, Reflex saves, and ranged attacks - so much so that Zen Archery is arguably no longer required.

hemming
2014-02-28, 11:55 AM
Maybe you should check this out: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1238