PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Devoted(3.5 Base Class)

TheOriginal
2014-02-27, 03:32 PM
Devoted

A Devoted is a warrior who is, as his name suggests, devoted wholly to a cause. He lives by a set of standards set by himself or his chosen superiors, and follows those standards, or laws, or codes to the letter.

Background: A slave soldier, trained to ignore all fear, all emotions, all questions, almost stripped of humanity. They are bought as babes and trained and then tested. Those who survive are sold or traded. When he is granted his freedom, he becomes a Devoted. A warrior who knows only devotion to a cause, and now is given the option to choose his own cause.

Adventure: The ultimate Kings Guard, the wholehearted Rebel, or the seeker of vengeance, Devoted adventure for a cause. Whether they have been ordered by their chosen King or God to slay a mighty beast, or they joined a revolution against a corrupt king. They are steadfast in their beliefs, and mighty on the battlefield.

Religion: A devoted rarely worships any singular gods. However, those who do usually worship lawful gods, such as Heironeous or St. Cuthbert.

Abilities: As a melee combatant, strength and constitution are important. Wisdom is also used in many of their class features, as their training has honed their willpower and perception on the battlefield.

Alignment: Always Lawful
Hit Dice: D10
Starting Age: Moderate, as fighter

Class Skills:
Autohypnosis(wis), Balance(dex), Climb(str), Craft(int), Diplomacy(cha), Intimidate(cha), Jump(str), Knowledge(History)(int), Knowledge(Local)(int), Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty)(int), Listen(wis), Ride(dex), Spot(wis), Swim(str), and Tumble(dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int Modifier) x 4
Skill Points and Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier

-----Level
-----Base Attack Bonus
-----Fort Save
-----Ref Save
-----Will Save
-----Special

-----1st
-----+1
-----+2
-----+0
-----+2
-----Aura of Law, Special Ability, Loyalty's Defense

-----2nd
-----+2
-----+3
-----+0
-----+3
-----Evasion, Devoted Will

-----3rd
-----+3
-----+3
-----+1
-----+3
-----Loyalty's Courage

-----4th
-----+4
-----+4
-----+1
-----+4
-----Special Ability, Endurance

-----5th
-----+5
-----+4
-----+1
-----+4
-----Improved Overrun, Lawful Strike(1/day)

-----6th
-----+6/+1
-----+5
-----+2
-----+5
-----Uncanny Dodge, Determination to Overcome

-----7th
-----+7/+2
-----+5
-----+2
-----+5
-----Loyalty's Resolve, Order's Wrath 1/day

-----8th
-----+8/+3
-----+6
-----+2
-----+6
-----Special Ability, Mettle

-----9th
-----+9/+4
-----+6
-----+3
-----+6
-----Diehard

-----10th
-----+10/+5
-----+7
-----+3
-----+7
-----Lawful Strike(2/day)

-----11th
-----+11/+6/+1
-----+7
-----+3
-----+7
-----Devotion's Resiliance

-----12th
-----+12/+7/+2
-----+8
-----+4
-----+8
-----Special Ability, Improved Determination to Overcome

-----13th
-----+13/+8/+3
-----+8
-----+4
-----+8
-----Improved Uncanny Dodge

-----14th
-----+14/+9/+4
-----+9
-----+4
-----+9
-----

-----15th
-----+15/+10/+5
-----+9
-----+5
-----+9
-----Ageless Devotion, Lawful Strike(3/day)

-----16th
-----+16/+11/+6/+1
-----+10
-----+5
-----+10
-----Special Ability, Dictum 1/day

-----17th
-----+17/+12/+7/+2
-----+10
-----+5
-----+10
-----Devotion's Master

-----18th
-----+18/+13/+8/+3
-----+11
-----+6
-----+11
-----Superior Determination to Overcome

-----19th
-----+19/+14/+9/+4
-----+11
-----+6
-----+11
-----Shield of Law 1/day

-----20th
-----+20/+15/+10/+5
-----+12
-----+6
-----+12
-----Special Ability, Devotion Above All

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: The Devoted is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light armour, and with shields(except tower shields)

Aura of Law: The power of a Devoted’s aura of law (see the detect law spell) is equal to his Devoted level.

Special Abilities: At 1st level, and every four levels afterwards, the Devoted gains a special ability from the following list.

Devotion's Haste: This ability increases the Devoted's land base speed by 10ft x his Wisdom modifier. The Devoted only gains the benefits of this ability when wearing light or no armour.

Strength of Loyalty: This ability allows the Devoted to add his Wisdom modifier to hit.
At 10th level, this improves to allow him to add his Wisdom modifier to damage, as well.

Improved Evasion: This ability works like evasion, except that while the Devoted still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Devoted does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
*Prerequisite: Evasion

Overpowering Devotion: The Devoted gains a bonus to Grappling equal to his Wisdom modifier. His sheer power of will allows him to overpower almost any foe.

Willful Endurance: The Devoted may add his Wisdom Modifier to his health roles, in addition to his Constitution.

One of Many: When fighting alongside allies(within one square), you gain an inspiration bonus to hit equal to the number of allies you are fighting alongside.

Steadfast Devotion: The Devoted gains DR equal to one half his Devoted level, rounding down.

Aura of Devotion: Any enemy within 30 feet is effected by the Devoted's devotion, and takes a -1 penalty to attack, and every ally within 30 feet gets a +1 bonus to attack. This does not effect mindless creatures.

Steadfast Stance: If a Devoted must hold a position, it seems as if the very ground reacts to the power of his will. A Devoted may enter a stance of ultimate defense. When in this stance, he can not be moved from that spot by any means. He can not move himself, he can’t be bull rushed, tripped, pushed, or forced to fall prone. While in this stance, he also gains a +2 bonus to hit and Dodge bonus to AC, as his lack of movement allows his perception to increase. This stance takes a move action to enter, and provokes attacks of opportunity, as well as to exit the stance. A Devoted may enter this stance once per day. At level 5 and every 5 level thereafter(10, 15, and 20), the Devoted may enter this stance one additional times per day, and the bonsu to hit and AC increases by 2. (5/+4, 10/+6, 15/+8, 20/+10)

The Devoted Strike: Once per day, a Devoted may watch an enemy for a number of rounds equal to half the enemies hit-dice(minimum of 1 round). The Devoted observes the enemy, watching him move, finding weaknesses. After watching his opponent, the Devoted strikes at the opponent. If he hits, the opponent must make a fortitude save of 10 + Devoted Level + Wisdom Modifier, or die. If he makes the save, the attack is treated as a regular critical hit. This does not affect creatures immune to critical attacks.
*Prerequisite: 15 levels of The Devoted

Superior Steadfast Devotion: The Devoted's DR increased to equal his Devoted level.
*Prerequisite: Steadfast Devotion

Superior Strength of Loyalty: A Devoted may add twice his Wisdom modifier to damage rolls when fighting with two-handed weapons, or one and a half his wisdom modifier when fighting with one-handed weapons.
*Prerequisite: Strength of Loyalty, 15 levels of The Devoted

Loyalty's Defense: When wearing light or no armour, the Devoted adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC.
This bonus to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Devoted is flat-footed. He loses this bonus when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armour, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Evasion: At 2nd level and higher, a Devoted can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Devoted is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Devoted does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Devoted Will: A Devoted’s willpower is unmatched, and few living beings can break their mental defenses. Starting at second level, if a Devoted is in a situation where he must make a Will save, he may attempt a single reroll. He takes the better of the two rolls. The Devoted also must choose to make the reroll before knowing if the first result was a fail. He may only reroll any particular Will save once.

Loyalty's Courage: Beginning at 3rd level, a Devoted is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

Endurance: At 4th level, the Devoted gains Endurance as a bonus feat.

Improved Overrun: At 5th level, the Devoted gains Overrun as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prereqisites.

Lawful Strike: At 5th level, a Devoted may imbue his weapon with Lawful alignment for the purpose of overcoming Damage Reduction. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to his Devoted level, and he may use it 1/day. This increases to 2/day at 10th level, and 3/day at 15th level.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 6th level, a Devoted can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), and Wisdom bonus(if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity and Wisdom bonus to AC if immobilized.

If a Devoted already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Determination to Overcome: At 6th level, the Devoted sees even the largest of physical obstacles as minour. He gains a +4 to strength checks to overcome obstacles such as breaking down doors, breaking out of ropes or shackles, or freeing himself from entanglements.

Loyalty's Resolve: Beginning at 7th level, a Devoted is immune to compulsion effects. Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against compulsion effects.

Order's Wrath: At 7th level, the Devoted may cast Order's Wrath as a spell like ability, once per day. Use his Devoted level as caster level.

Mettle: At 8th level and higher, a Devoted can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Devoted does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Diehard: At 9th level, the Devoted gains Diehard as a bonus feat.

Devotion's Resilience: At 11th level, the Devoted gains Devotion's Resilience. When a Devoted must roll a Fortitude Save to overcome damage, he only takes half damage on a failed save.

Improved Determination to Overcome: At 12th level, the bonus to strength checks increases to a +8 to overcome obstacles such as breaking down doors, breaking out of ropes or shackles, or freeing himself from entanglements. .

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 13th level and higher, a Devoted can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the Devoted by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Devoted levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Ageless Devotion: Upon attaining 17th level, a Devoted no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the Devoted still dies of old age when his time is up.

Dictum: At level 16, the Devoted may cast Dictum as a spell like ability once per day. Treat his Devoted level as caster level.

Devotion's Master: (Supernatural Ability) At 17th level, the Devoted may communicate with the holder of his devotion, be it a King, or a god, or some other being. He can do this once per week, and he may ask one question, request one piece of advice, or plea for assistance.

Superior Determination to Overcome: At 18th level, the bonus to strength checks increases to +12.

Shield of Law: At 19th level, the Devoted may cast Shield of Law once per day as a spell like ability. Treat his Devoted level as his caster level.

Devotion Above All: (Supernatural Ability) At 20th level, the Devoted becomes so devoted to his cause, not even death can stop him. During combat, should he fall below -10 hit points, he does not die, but continues to fight until the encounter ends, at which point he dies if still below -10 hit points. His ability to fight is inhibited by severe wounds, like severed limbs or decapitation.

Jormengand
2014-02-27, 03:41 PM
Too many dead levels. I miiiight consider a 5-level dip to grab Loyalty's Defence and Steadfast Devotion (Which keys of your HD, not your class level. Huh?) but otherwise you'd be better off with the Fighter Bonus Feats.

And being worse than the fighter is not a good place to be.

Sure, with decent wisdom you can have +10 to AC, attack and damage rolls, 100 to your speed and 200 to your hit points at twentieth level, but...

it needs more stuff to make me want to take it.

ngilop
2014-02-27, 04:00 PM
The chasis of this class is good.

I highyl recommend the following

give him Mettle at 8th-ish level

expand upon the special abilities to give him a total of at least 7 to chose from

I would also say slap on spell casting but. that is too easy a fix I think

Instead pepper the class with some supernatural abilities, like holy word, word of chaos or Dictum at 16th level, maybe deific vengeance 1/day every 3rd level Visage of the deity ( all 3 versions) etc

and maybe if you are really wanting to slap on some Invocations. Just for the sole reaosn that a holy warrior who uses invocations seems like a super awesome idea to me.

Adam1949
2014-02-27, 05:20 PM
I'll parrot the idea for adding Invocations and removing the dead levels. Specifically, I'd suggest making it so that they gain a Special Ability every 3 levels, rather than every 5.

Evasion is a nice thing to have on a class that has a weak Reflex save (since that means that on the rare success it actually means something), but I would also say that they should gain Mettle at 10th level.

Also, perhaps they should have more class skills? Some form of Knowledge (possibly even Knowledge (Any) ) is important, and if they're the 'Champion of their Cause' it would make sense for them to have either Diplomacy (to convince others he's right and to join his side) or Intimidate (to browbeat people into the same thing), possibly even both. Considering the Devoted isn't particularly INT or CHA dependent, giving him these things wouldn't be particularly unbalanced.

TheOriginal
2014-02-27, 06:27 PM
Hmm. These are all good ideas. Thank you!

TheOriginal
2014-02-28, 10:21 AM
What do you think about these changes?

Beelzis
2014-02-28, 10:49 AM
I like the addition of devotion above all gives it an interesting ability.

I needed something like this for an enemy I was building in my campaign and it turned out a lot better than the one i built. would you mind me using it when its finished?

that out of the way i agree with ngilop that you could add one or two more supernatural abilities besides the dictum to help out or the dead levels

TheOriginal
2014-02-28, 11:31 AM
I needed something like this for an enemy I was building in my campaign and it turned out a lot better than the one i built. would you mind me using it when its finished?

Yeah, feel free to use it!!

XionUnborn01
2014-02-28, 12:04 PM
I like the idea of the class, and I agree that it should have...more. It almost feels like this would fit well put into a 10 level prestige class but I'm not saying that's a bad thing!

I'm going to throw out a few spells that I think fit the flavor fairly well, they'll all be from the Spell Compendium:

Omen of Peril (1st Cleric): Use DEVOTION to learn about the future.
Resurgence (1st Cleric): Remove conditions by DEVOTION!
Divine Insight (2nd Cleric): Use DEVOTION to get a rush of skill juice.
Holy/Unholy Storm (3rd Cleric): Your DEVOTION makes clouds cry!
Knight's Move (3rd Cleric): What's more loyal than flanking?

So that's up to 3rd level. I'm sure that not all of these fit what you see your class doing and it can be a lot of SLAs to throw into a class but I'd suggest that you find some gems and hand them out.

TheOriginal
2014-03-01, 04:28 PM
I have updated it.

XionUnborn01
2014-03-01, 11:19 PM
I'm on board with all the changes, I think they're a good improvement. Well, all of them except one.

Supernatural Devotion.

At 1st level, they can activate a 3rd level spell (water breathing), a 6/7th level spell (energy immunity), or a 1st level spell (feather fall). With those three at level one, I honestly have no way to figure out how to decide what it can't do.

At 10th level, they get a 3rd level spell (water walk), a 4th level spell (FoM), and a 1st level cast at CL 5 (jump)

And then 20th level gives them a 3rd level spell (fly). You failed to note speed/maneuverability.

I think I understand the idea you were going for, general feats of awesome, and if that's the case then I like the idea, but the implementation needs work.

TheOriginal
2014-03-02, 02:58 AM
You make good point. I am continuing to flesh it out. Any suggestions?

TheOriginal
2014-03-07, 01:49 PM
I think it is almost finished.

Jormengand
2014-03-07, 02:38 PM
Order's Wrath: At 7th level, the Devoted may cast Order's Wrath as a spell like ability. Use his Devoted level as caster level.

Dictum: At level 16, the Devoted may cast Dictum as a spell like ability once per day. Treat his Devoted level as caster level.

Note the difference here. How many times can he use Order's Wrath?

TheOriginal
2014-03-07, 09:18 PM
Thank you. What is your overall opinion of this version of the class, as is? Overpowered, underpowered, still not enough fluff. This is my first class, so I'm just trying to get a sense of what it needs to be presentable to a DM for use.

Jormengand
2014-03-08, 07:05 AM
Reading back through it, I notice a few things...

Willful Endurance mentions "Health roles" instead of hit dice (or at the very least, health rolls)

The Devoted Strike scales in a very truenamerish manner, becoming harder to use as you gain levels. It requires that the enemy "Role" a fortitude save. It also mentions that it does not "Effect" creatures immune to critical hits - while I should hope it puts no such creatures into effect, the word you're looking for is "Affect."

Superior Strength of Loyalty adds twice your wisdom modifier to two-handed weapon damage, but one and a half [times] your wisdom score with a one-handed weapon - this could get amusing fast.

Loyalty's defence is missing the word "Armour" after the word "Heavy."

The wording on Uncanny Dodge should go back to the old wording that didn't talk about Wisdom, because right now it looks as though you would have lost your wisdom bonus too before sixth, when you don't.

Determination to Overcome currently reads "And minour" instead of "As minor."

Devotion's Resilience I'm not sure how effective it is because I can't think of anything that offers fortitude half. It mentions "Role a fortitude..." instead of "Roll a fortitude..." and also speaks the great and terrible name of the legendary hero, Fortitude Dave.

Improved Determination to overcome should specify what the strength checks are for.

Order's Wrath, Dictum and Shield of Law need (Sp) tags. Devotion's Master needs either a Su or Sp tag, and Devotion Above All needs a Su tag.

Overall, it reads a lot like a heroic NPC class. It has some pretty decent abilities, but... I'm not sure I would actually want to play one except on one side of a gestalt for the massive amount of add Wisdom to Y it gives you. Seriously, Cleric//Devoted would be the way to go.

TheOriginal
2014-03-17, 12:48 AM
Better or worse than a Fighter?

TheOriginal
2014-08-06, 05:15 PM
Been Beta testing it. Thought of some new ideas. Will keep updating.