PDA

View Full Version : Kerrasek the Crafty (Questions about a dragon NPC)

RobbieOC
2007-01-31, 05:14 PM
I'm working on an Eberron campaign for my group and I've come up with an NPC idea that I really like, and I'd like some advice on running/statting him.

Kerrasek the Crafty

Kerrasek, or Kerri, is a very young copper dragon. He travelled to Khorvaire a few years ago because he grew weary of the other wyrmlings in his clutch and wanted to make a name for himself. He has lived in a cave nearby Sharn by himself, waylaying caravans and playing questionable practical jokes on passersby. While he has no real desire to hurt anyone, he does have a tendency to not know when a joke has gone too far and has made enemies from many of the local humanoids in the area.

He has dubbed himself the Crafty and believes himself to be quite hilarious.
The PCs run afoul of Kerrasek when they find themselves the victims of one of his "jokes" - and depending on how they react will determine their relationship with the dragon. If they respond in a good-humored way, he is likely to befriend them and offer his assistance should they ever need it. However, if they take the joke too personally and get upset, he is likely to become even more motivated to trick them again, and better, in the future. He could become a powerful ally or a devious rival, depending on how the PCs handle their first encounter with him.

I want to start him at very young because his initial challenge rating isn't too high, but he can grow from there quite easily. I'm not sure yet what class I'll have him take. Obviously something like rogue would be good. Also, something like beguiler maybe would be neat. Specializing in illusion and enchantment spells would fit his theme well, but I'm not real sure about how to handle a dragon this way. Do they become too powerful when you add class levels? I'm expecting the PCs to run into him when they're approximately 3rd or 4th level, which would make him a difficult encounter, but if I gave him a level in beguiler, would that be too much by the time they're 5th or 6th level? I've never done the whole dragon with class levels thing, so I really don't know.

Also, what suggestions do you have when creating a dragon character with class levels? What spells/feats would be good? What class would be most appropriate? If I really want him to be difficult for the PCs, what is a challenging, yet fun way to use him in combat?

Thanks in advance.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-31, 06:02 PM
A lot of the Dragon's abilities does not scale with class levels they improve with age or by racial HD.

But if you add enough class levels it will of course still be challenging.

A single level of beguiler is not going to improve the very young Copper Dragon much and should not be too much of a challenge for your level 5-6 party.

You could advance the dragon with racial HD and make it just between very young and young (around 15 years old). That way it will be easier for you to scale up the challenge if you should need it at a later point.

Remember that Copper Dragons are CG, so there is a limit to how far it would take practical jokes.

Mewtarthio
2007-01-31, 07:17 PM
Remember that Copper Dragons are CG, so there is a limit to how far it would take practical jokes.

I'm working on an Eberron campaign

emphasis mine

RobbieOC
2007-01-31, 07:44 PM
emphasis mine

Right. Eberron specifically states that dragons are not always "color-coded for your convenience." And I thought the copper would be the best to blur the lines with in this sense.

I had considered having him move up to the next age category, but I just really like the idea of a dragon with the character levels. Maybe add them on after he's become young?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-01, 02:02 AM
Right. Eberron specifically states that dragons are not always "color-coded for your convenience." And I thought the copper would be the best to blur the lines with in this sense.

Ahh ok, have not played Eberron, so I am not as familiar with the campaign world as I should be.

I had considered having him move up to the next age category, but I just really like the idea of a dragon with the character levels. Maybe add them on after he's become young?

You could do it either way. As long as you start out with 10 racial HD there is nothing wrong with advancing him in class levels before you move him up an age category (or not moving him up at all).

Beguiler seems like a fun class for a Copper Dragon.

El Honcho
2007-02-01, 03:35 AM
Try the Draconomicon, a nice book if you´re interested in creating and using dragons. Combat tactics depend mainly on the age oft the dragon.
Try some of the illusion spells if you want to use him in a funny and flexible way.

daggaz
2007-02-01, 10:43 AM
shot in the dark here, but what about Arcane Trickster?

Feh... just read through the PrC... why the hell do they call it trickster when it's basically just a rogue PrC for casters? IE tons of sneak attack.

RobbieOC
2007-02-01, 03:43 PM
I think I'm going to hold off on the level until a little bit later.

I did however roll up treasure and he's gained some nifty equipment, including a ring of resistance and an amulet of mighty fists. Would equipping these on him make him strong enough to move up a challenge rating, or do they figure the possible treasure in with the CR? Also, he's got a bag of holding for all the gemstones he hoards.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-01, 03:47 PM
Treasure should not really affect the CR unless it is above normal.