PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] new DM help, Search skill, help and general help :D

Ketiara
2014-02-27, 06:00 PM
Hi playground.
Intro:
First of all, I apologize for the spelling and grammar errors. And If I have an error that really bug you, or that I keep making, let me know, and ill try and correct it in future posts. But before going total grammar police on me, know that words hurt me as well :D
This is probably gonna be a post that will evolve into something else than what I intended, and I think it will make sense to edit the OP when something is answered and a new question arises.
If you guys have ideas how to do this best, let me know. So far i am doing it like this:

Issue at hand

Ive been playing DnD 3.5 for the last 8 years, on a 1-3 monthly basis, but still i wont count myself as experience (compared to you guys). But now Im gonna take a swing at the DM'ing scene.
I'm running a pre-made module (sinister spire), and I am planning on upping the monsters/encounters to fit the group, by maxing HP, adding a monster or two. But most of all I am gonna play my monsters as intelligent as possible, and they will have mundane equipment to help them and they will use it. (oil, pearls, lard, tripwire... whatever i can think of and ill give them a estimated DC if one isnt provided).
This has been my beef with one of my DM's I've felt like he played his monsters poorly and set up encounters poorly. So now I've bought a story and can spend my time on planning the encounters. Don't know if its a good idea, but its something my group hasn't tried. So ill give it a go.

The Group:
Ive been telling them that they need search, gather information, diplomacy!! Because the module actually tell me how much info they get at different DC's before they created their men, but they haven't been coordinating their group and we now have:

A 4fighter/1conjurer wiz gish with spiked chain, race catfolk (+1LA is free). And he is a very experienced player, that might cause problems because he will optimize and make my life hard. (this guy is my worst worry, but in a good way, he has been DM'ing for 15 years and knows the importance of groupe dynamics)

A 5fighter going net and trident so I let him have half-Minotaur template (because it fits soo well I couldn't help myself). This guy isn't an optimizer but falls in love with a concept and goes with it (net and trident in this case)

A 5cleric (not cloistered) going to go into servant of pelor race: assimar. (This guy is experienced but love high dmg numbers, and is looking to become somewhat of a blaster/melee cleric aswell as a buffer, so im not that worried).

And last, the least experienced player need something REALLY easy to manage and is still undecided. Im trying to suggest warlock (range blaster, to be retrained if he wants to push his game). And ill let him play around with the invocations to see how he likes it. (granted that he chooses this class)

The problems is I wont MAKE him choose something, I want this guy to be whatever he feels like, and it bugs me that the rest of the group hasn't considered him before they said "dips" on fighter (we are all close RL friends). He isn't as invested in this, as the rest of us, and I wont loose him to Real Life because he doesn't feel like playing.

I would say this is low to medium op, and im trying to keep the players at the same power level, the gish will be the worst problem, I hope.

So heres the party... all lvl 5 and one free +1LA.

So, getting to the point:
I need someone to handle a few critical skill checks, but lack the monkey.
could it be the gish? Im pretty sure there isnt any spare feats, and that all spellslots are carved in stone.
I dont belive the cleric or the half-minotaur will handle those checks, so now all I have left is the new guy (that also is the one most likely to cancel for the day, but ill DMPC him then). But how do i make the warlock a skill monkey without robbing him of the +1LA or how do I give the silverbrow human a bonus that fits a +1LA (im thinking Able learner btw). Im all for him going something dragon'ish to enable him the draconic invocations later on (im thinking retraining is very possible but not re-racing:D) so giving him dragonblood to begin with might be cool if he wants those invocations.

So...
in conclusion:
my issue. I need to make a warlock into a skillmonkey with search or can my gish do that? I need to make my warlock able learner with something that equals a +1LA (not the half-minotaur, as that was given due to coolfactor)

2nd issue: so lets consider that this guy doesnt want to be a warlock but a dwarf - throwing things. Any cool VERY EASY (easier than warmage)classes I could suggest this guy that would serve my needs. He has been talking about a strong man type... and although I believe a warlock is easier to play, he might not be persuaded and still wants a melee hardhitter type - What would serve my needs? (and it needs to be simple)

Misc:
Ok so my major concern is myself. Im pretty sure ill lack as a DM. I have two former DM's playing in my groupe, both of which might be rather vindictive, (I made a planar shepard) but thats ok. Ive been a participant of this forum for two years, and although I havnt contributed with much, ive been reading alot, and feel equipped for the task so far.

My goal as a DM is to know what my players build is about and perhaps restricting or buffing for their build to fit the rest. I have no restrictions on material within the 3.5 books and dragon magasines... BUT I have last call on what goes. (I wouldnt have given half minotaur to the gish.)

ok so ive been writing alot now, and lost the oversight, so ill stop.
Any advice how to get search, gather info, diplo into the groupe enough to overcome a DC of 25-30?
What to do if they cant make those DC's? lessen the DC's or do something els? let them find scrolls on baddies, or something? granted they search them.
How do you adjust the CR on an encounter, and knowing what you know of my groupe (excep for the last char) and if you've played sinister spire... what would you expect to do encounter wise?
I know I might have to buff the encounters and I feel that will be fairly easy, ill use traps, more mooks, full hp, but not one high lvl baddie. Any other ideas how to regulate these battels?

so Ive been ****ing up the post alot by now, so ill have to post it finally now.

please guys let me know what you think, and ideas is very Welcome!

Urpriest
2014-02-27, 07:19 PM
You could have a few of those skills on the Dwarf. At lower levels, a Scout can be decent with thrown weapons, and will usually have the Search skill. It's pretty easy for a new player, but still dynamic: you have to move, then attack, so you have to think a bit about positioning. If the module goes on to higher levels, add a Cloistered Cleric dip for Travel Devotion.

The Cleric should take Diplomacy, if they've got enough skill points for it. They'll have high Cha due to being an Aasimar.

In general, a well-written module will have multiple ways to get information. If you fail the Gather Information checks, then there should be other ways to progress the plot, just at a cost, which is as it should be.