PDA

View Full Version : World mapping help

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-27, 08:22 PM
So I am trying to map out a continent for my world and was wondering if anyone had tips or trivks to help along the process.

Blackhawk748
2014-02-27, 08:32 PM
Use Hexographer, its friggin awesome, i use it a lot.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-27, 08:42 PM
Seems like a start, alyhough I feel like I need something more sophisticated... I may just be overdoing it.

Nice KoK reference btw. I am loving Kalamar.

Blackhawk748
2014-02-27, 08:54 PM
Oh and Campaign Cartographer 3 is better for fine map making.

Also, KoK ftw!

Palanan
2014-02-27, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber
Seems like a start, al[t]hough I feel like I need something more sophisticated... I may just be overdoing it.

If you want to go the distance, then I'd recommend visiting Cartographers' Guild (http://www.cartographersguild.com/content/) and working your way through a few tutorials. You can also post maps in WIP threads and receive feedback and suggestions. Some of their maps are absolutely incredible.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-27, 11:12 PM
Cool. I know a couple of my syructures defy geographical rules (because of reasons) but that looks like it will be super handy. I admit the accuracy and detail of Tellene has inspired ke a lot.

lytokk
2014-02-28, 08:23 AM
Currently, I'm using an industrial mapping software to make my world. I actually work in the industry so I get access to it, but any basic graphic design software would work too.

Drew the continental boundaries and printed it out, drew in landforms and basic cities, scanned it, and traced it in the software. Printed it out again, and just kept adding more and more detail until I got to my current map. Takes some dedication, but it worked for me.

Palanan
2014-02-28, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by lytokk
Currently, I'm using an industrial mapping software to make my world.

What software package is this? Sounds impressive.

lytokk
2014-02-28, 11:03 AM
ESRI ArcGIS. Bit of a learning curve, and an even bigger price tag, but it works for me. I get to map everything, any dungeons I design I can place on the map and link a document to it, that document being the detailed dungeon map, and once I really get it finished, post online in a google earth type program for complete web browsing

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 11:17 AM
And I fought 44.95 was bad. Whoa nelly.

lytokk
2014-02-28, 11:49 AM
Yeah, unless you work in the industry where you use it everyday and can get your own copy of an older version of the program, I recommend going with a free vector design program, akin to adobe illustrator. There's a bunch of them out there, and it can fulfill the needs of any world creator who's not planning on going WAAAAY overboard like me. But hey, everyone, even professional mapmakers, need a hobby.

Palanan
2014-02-28, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by lytokk
ESRI ArcGIS. Bit of a learning curve, and an even bigger price tag....

Yeah, that would do it. Definitely a learning curve...pretty much a vertical cliff with a coating of ice for a complete beginner.

Speaking from experience here.

:smallfrown:

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 12:07 PM
Lytokk, to be clear, I futzed with planetary core composition and axial tilt to get the world I wanted. We left overboard.a long time ago.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-02-28, 12:23 PM
I assume you've looked at the Giant's world building documents (Gaming link, New World, Part 6 in particular).

Beyond that, what sort of things are you looking at? General what goes where, or something more detailed?

A lot of it's common sense - for example, a settlement will have a reason to be where it is, say, it's a day's travel from the previous settlement on a trade route (giving traders somewhere to rest their pack animals and a comfortable bed overnight), or it's the crossing point for a river, or there's natural resources in the area that have attracted people to the area, or it's close to the border with a neighbouring country and it holds and supports the local garrison, or there's a religious site close by and it serves the pilgrims visiting the site, or the local rulers forced citizens to colonise the area despite the ground being completely unsuitable, or whatever.

And the reason will interact with the location to give properties of the settlement - the trade route settlement might be fortified and suspicious of strangers, the river crossing more open and surrounded by farmland, the natural resources village might be littered with mining spoil and every surface covered in soot from refining and other industrial processes, the garrison town built with solid walls, narrow gates and streets to slow invaders, the religious site town filled with the faithful and those trying to make a fast coin off them, and the failing forced colony little more than a slum, with empty houses and starving people who'd stab you for what's in your pockets, which might be enough to allow them to get out of there.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 12:30 PM
The general structures of the world have been mapped (hence my comment on some of them defying geographical rules). I just want some solid quality maps so I can futz with them to my liking and to show my players with greater clarity than my atrocious penmanship can show.

Blackhawk748
2014-02-28, 12:42 PM
Then i shall once more recommend Campaign Cartographer, they print of rather nicely and i find it easy to work with, though you could prbly only map out one kingdom at a time on there, depending on the scale you use.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 12:44 PM
ESRI ArcGIS. Bit of a learning curve, and an even bigger price tag, but it works for me. I get to map everything, any dungeons I design I can place on the map and link a document to it, that document being the detailed dungeon map, and once I really get it finished, post online in a google earth type program for complete web browsing

How does it compare to AutoREALM (http://sourceforge.net/projects/autorealm/)?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 12:46 PM
Then i shall once more recommend Campaign Cartographer, they print of rather nicely and i find it easy to work with, though you could prbly only map out one kingdom at a time on there, depending on the scale you use.

Yea, only the price tag makes me stutter. I am low on funds at the moment, but I might invest in this anyways as it looks fantastic. Do you know if it can do continent wide maps?

Edit: Oh look, a page of information. Excuse me.

lytokk
2014-02-28, 12:46 PM
How does it compare to AutoREALM (http://sourceforge.net/projects/autorealm/)?

not sure, will have to check after I get home from work, but I'm making this note to actually check it.

Blackhawk748
2014-02-28, 12:51 PM
The free trial of CC3 has pretty much everything you could ever want, i just dont remember what the downside is lol

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 12:54 PM
When I look for the free trial I keep finding torrents instead (which is pretty much as far from what I want as possible).

Blackhawk748
2014-02-28, 12:55 PM
its been a long time since i downloaded my trial so i cant remember if you need to actually download it in a torrent or not, i would assume not, but i have been wrong before.

Palanan
2014-02-28, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fax Celestis
How does it compare to AutoREALM?

I'm no expert on either program, but the sample screenshot on that page you linked isn't very impressive, not when compared to what I've seen ArcGIS produce in the hands of a professional.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 12:58 PM
its been a long time since i downloaded my trial so i cant remember if you need to actually download it in a torrent or not, i would assume not, but i have been wrong before.

I bit the bullet and bought it + boxed version. I figure between myself and my friends much use will be gotten out of this.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 01:00 PM
I'm no expert on either program, but the sample screenshot on that page you linked isn't very impressive, not when compared to what I've seen ArcGIS produce in the hands of a professional.

Well, sure, but AutoREALM at least has the advantage of being freeware. Actually, it might be pesterware (like WinRAR) at this point, I dunno. My copy's ancient.

Blackhawk748
2014-02-28, 01:01 PM
Oh you will, i like making maps, but you sound like you LOVE it, so i wish you the best of luck on your Map Making endeavors

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 01:03 PM
I like it; I love having a nice detailed world. Now I just need to figure out how to download this.

lytokk
2014-02-28, 01:08 PM
From a quick look, AutoRealm looks like it would be too cumbersome to make a complete world out of. But, for city/dungeon design, it would work, which is nice, since I thought I would have to use AutoCAD for that design work. But, as I said, withholding judgement until I can really delve into the program.

Palanan
2014-02-28, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Fax Celestis
Well, sure, but AutoREALM at least has the advantage of being freeware.

Looks like there are free trial versions (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop/free-trial) of ArcGIS. I haven't tried them, but with a little studying beforehand you could probably do a lot in sixty days.

Mootsmcboots
2014-02-28, 04:56 PM
Best map making tools: Pencil and graph paper.

I know that's not exactly what you are looking for, but it's so easy, while drawing the shape of your continent just remember, no straight lines, and when it comes to the coast just do lots of tiny squiggles.

I mapped out our continent recently, with no prior experience, and with 0 ability to draw but it came out great. I included a few major roads. Used simple 2d towers and houses to represent cities and towns and what have you

It's also super satisfying. Sure a computer program generates a great looking map, but it lacks soul. Maps are important, hand drawn maps, maybe done on parchment(Transferred over from graph paper), help make the world feel that much more real, helps you feel invested.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 06:27 PM
I am gonna invest in graph paper too (hopefully I can find hex) but I really wanted a nice transferable medium to work in. Online files are simply better for that.