PDA

View Full Version : [PF] New Campaign Help: T3 classes, firearms, new races and more

upho
2014-02-27, 10:14 PM
I'm planning a PF mid to high level campaign for 4 PCs in a home brew sort of viking/lo-tech steampunk/high fantasy setting, and I'm currently trying to gather player options with the following aims:

Push PC builds into, or close to, tier 3
Require a minimum of house rules and/or new mechanics
The more the merrier! Or rather, the more significant (mechanical) build variations possible the merrier
(Fits with the setting flavor - which AFAICT most PC options ever published for PF actually does, at least if making minor changes to the more setting specific fluff)

How to fulfill aim #1 while also fulfilling #2-4 is naturally my big headache. I don't want to simply rule out all classes not already in tier 3 and I haven't found any quick solutions for any of the existing classes except perhaps the ranger. I don't mind cutting out the full casters, but I'm not really sure about my players, and I do mind losing the T4s. So far, this means the players will (hopefully) have the following classes to choose from:

Alchemist
Bard - maybe name changed to "Galdrin" (RL Old Norse: a man who performs magic through singing, "Galdr" = magic through songs. Seemed pretty darn fitting IMO...)
Inquisitor
Mage
Ranger - Gets wild shape as if druid.
Warpriest (ACG) - All divine features (casting, blessings etc) changed to be Wis-dependent only. Perhaps needing an improved scaling action economy feature?
Stalker (PoW) - A rogue/monk/assassin in ToB style, superbly flavored Dex/Wis-based skill-monkey/scout/striker (from the recently published "Path of War" inspired by 3.5's ToB, by Dreamscarred Press).
Warden (PoW) - A full BAB class good at something besides damage! That actually has the mechanics to be a true tank/defender! Str/Int-based.
Warlord (PoW) - A full BAB class good at something besides damage! Features focusing on leadership and team tactics. Str/Cha-based.

This list has quite a lot of diversity and many good potential party configurations, though suggestions on additions from any free source is of course greatly appreciated! And I would like to see class options in three missing categories:

a) classes less complex to build and play,
b) classes with a distinct rage mechanic, as this has very strong ties to the setting and the campaign, and
c) classes or other options focusing on clockwork-/steampunk-tech and of course firearms.

Category a) is probably going to be important since at least one of the players don't have much spare time for build tinkering between sessions and also prefers to play less complex builds. I've seen a few home brew variants of primarily the fighter, but none that actually would elevate the class to tier 3. All suggestions welcome!

Category b) is sort of easy to discuss since it only refers to the barb and the bloodrager AFAIK. Besides limiting the barb to a few "superstitious-cycling-CaGM-beast"-builds, I have no ideas on how to bring the barb up to par. I do think I've got a few mechanically sound ideas for the bloodrager (incorporating a scaling "blast-pounce"-mechanic and spell DC-bonuses plus bloodline bonus SLAs above level 4), but the problem is they would require me to change every bloodline and spend hours on looking up suitable spells (or simply leave the class with just two or three bloodline options). Nevertheless the barb and especially the bloodrager are just oh so spot on for the campaign... Meaning I'd really, really love to hear your ideas for better fixes!

Category c) might be easier to partly solve by simply adding skills like Craft (clockwork) to suitable classes, rather than go hunting for/designing new classes with actual features focused on such tech? The firearms present a more complex challenge. This is partly because there's only one(?) PF class (or rather two archetypes of it) that can actually put emerging firearm tech to good use, and neither the gunslinger's flavor or its low relative power level is suitable for this campaign. But mostly, it's because I don't really yet know how to deal with the setting having a higher level of tech, demanding commonplace guns, plus likely numerous additional versions of advanced firearms and more advanced "auxiliary" mechanical and magical inventions (resulting in for example increased capacities and rates of fire, more versions of ammo, improved firearm enchantments etc). How do I make guns awesome but not OP or virtually limited to a single class (ie not attempting to "balance" guns using misfire mechanic)?

Another idea I've been working on is to give the setting's five unique PC races traits that would benefit the T4 classes the most. Since at least four of them are based on Old Norse mythological creatures or other concepts that strongly suggests such mechanics anyway, I decided to simply try and push their "balancing potential" a bit further. Powerful racial traits/options will of course easily become problematic if a majority of them are introduced at creation, as is the norm of most published PF races, because the T4 classes, like other non-caster classes, are typically very front loaded and not in any particular need of early level support. Meaning such powerful traits at level one would likely create inverse PC balance issues during the first levels, and then just revert back to the same old problems in higher levels when the impact of racial choice have typically been reduced significantly and the T4s can't keep up with the T3s' any longer. Meaning that in a party of differently tiered PC builds, the net effect would mostly be delaying the party's balanced "sweet spot" a few levels.

To counter this, and hoping to avoid a need to design the usual higher level options like racial PrCs, I've instead tried dividing powerful racial traits between three or more growth steps, representing the character developing not only class abilities but also inherited racial talents. In addition, I've tried to make strong racial feats that either add/enhance key racial traits or replace suitable standard feat chains with improved racial counterparts based on the race's strengths. Here's a short version of one such race - the half-giant, half-dwarf caurakin (="cavern-born" in 3.0 dwarven).

Caurakin

Humanoid (dwarf, giant), 0 RP
Medium Size, 0 RP
Advanced Ability scores (partial at this level) +2 Con, +2 Str, -2 Cha, 1 RP
Dual-Minded +2 Will, 1 RP
Natural Armor +1, 2 RP
Skill Bonus Perform (Dance) +1 & class skill, 2 RP
Weapon Familiarity (Dwarven), 1 RP
Slow and Steady 20 ft. speed, -1 RP
Darkvision 60 ft., 2 RP

Spell Ineptitude: Caurakin cannot learn, know or cast spells of 5th level or higher (but they can use spell-like abilities of higher level spells).

Height: 5' 8" + 2d6 inches (5' 10" - 6' 10"),
Weight: 260 + 2d6x5 lbs. (270 - 320 lbs.)

Level 5 Growth: Marcaurakin (approx. 6 RP)
You gain the Powerful Build racial trait and a +2 racial bonus to either Intelligence or Wisom (your choice). In addition, your natural armor bonus to AC increases by +1 (this stacks with all other natural armor bonuses). Your height increases by 20% and your weight by 60% (7' 0" - 8' 2", 448 - 528 lbs.).

Level 10 Growth: Araucaurakin (approx. 7 RP)
Your size increases one category, giving you an additional +2 racial bonus to Strength, +5 feet natural reach and a +1 bonus on combat maneuver checks and to your CMD. You also take a -4 size penalty to Stealth checks, a -1 size penalty to your attack rolls and AC, and lose the Powerful Build racial trait. In addition, your base speed increases by 10 feet (your speed is still unaffected by armor or encumbrance). Your height increases by 15% and your weight by 80% (8' 1" - 9' 5", 806 - 950 lbs.).

(Approximately 8 RP (level 1), 6 RP (level 5), 7 RP (level 10) = 21 RP)

Caurakin Feats

Rock Hard (Caurakin)
Prerequisites: Araucaurakin
Benefit: You gain a +2 racial bonus to saving throws made against disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, spells and spell-like abilities.

Kuldjarghin - Reckless Dancer (Combat, Caurakin)
You have learned the basics of the traditional caurakin dancing fighting technique known as Kuldrorn, focusing on a two-weapon style that favors multiple attacks and mobility over accuracy and defense.
Prerequisites: Str 17, Dex 11, caurakin, Perform (dance) 1 rank.
Benefit: You gain the Two-Weapon Fighting feat while wielding two dwarven weapons or a dwarven double weapon. Whenever you take a standard or full action that would normally allow a single melee attack (such as a charge), you can choose to take a -2 penalty to AC until the start of your next turn and attack with both your main and off-hand weapon with a -2 penalty to your attack rolls.
Special: This feat counts as the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for all purposes except it applies to dwarven weapons only. Any other effects or benefits (such as from feats or class features) dependent on Two-Weapon Fighting also apply only when you wield a dwarven weapon, unless you also have the standard Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Kuldbarakin - Shield Dancer (Combat, Caurakin)
You have learned the basics of the traditional caurakin dancing fighting technique known as Kuldrorn, focusing on a shield style that favors an active shield arm and mobility over accuracy and damage.
Prerequisites: Str 17, Dex 11, caurakin, Perform (dance) 1 rank.
Benefit: You gain the Two-Weapon Fighting feat while wielding one dwarven weapon in one hand and a shield in the other, and you may treat the dwarven Kuldbarak as a light weapon for the purposes of penalties to two-weapon fighting. Once per turn when you take an action that allows you to move your speed or more (such as a charge) and your movement provokes an attack of opportunity, you can make a shield bash as a free action against the opponent that made the attack. If you choose to do so, you to take a -2 penalty to your attack and damage rolls (including those made for the shield bash) until the start of your next turn, but you do not lose the shield's bonus to AC as you normally would.
Special: This feat counts as the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for all purposes except it applies only when wielding a dwarven weapon and a shield. Any other effects or benefits (such as from feats or class features) dependent on Two-Weapon Fighting also apply only when you wield a dwarven weapon and a shield, unless you also have the standard Two-Weapon Fighting.

Kuldrornin - War Dancer (Combat, Caurakin)
Enemies find the dancing movements and rapid attacks of your Kuldrorn particularly difficult to predict, reducing the effectiveness of their maneuvers while leaving themselves open to yours.
Prerequisites: Str 19, Dex 13, Kuldbarakin or Kuldjarghin, Perform (dance) 4 ranks, base attack bonus +6
Benefit: Any combat maneuver you attempt or martial maneuver you initiate using a dwarven weapon or a shield receives a +2 bonus to the CMB check and DC. In addition, While wielding two dwarven weapons, a dwarven double weapon, or a dwarven weapon and a shield you also gain the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat and a +2 bonus to CMD when resisting bull rush, disarm, sunder or trip attempts.
Special: This feat counts as the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat for all purposes except it applies to dwarven weapons only. Any other effects or benefits (such as from feats or class features) dependent on Improved Two-Weapon Fighting also apply only when you wield a dwarven weapon, unless you also have the standard Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Kuldalaghin - Glorious Dancer (Combat, Caurakin)
You are a master of the Kuldrorn, capable of wielding the legendary weapons associated with your fighting style.
Prerequisites: Str 21, Dex 15, Araucaurakin, Kuldornin, Kuldbarakin or Kuldjarghin, Perform (dance) 7 ranks, base attack bonus +11
Benefit: You gain proficiency with either the Araudorn-Kuld or the Araukuldbarak and treat it as a dwarven weapon. While wielding two dwarven weapons, a dwarven double weapon, or a dwarven weapon and a shield you also gain the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat and a +2 dodge bonus to AC.
Special: This feat counts as the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat for all purposes except it applies to dwarven weapons only. Any other effects or benefits (such as from feats or class features) dependent on the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat also apply only when you wield a dwarven weapon, unless you also have the standard Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

New Weapons

Dorn-Kuld - Dwarven Chain-Axe
Exotic 2-handed melee
Dorn-Kuld, Dwarven M: 1d6/1d6, L: 1d8/1d8 (x2), Weight: 12 lbs., Type: S, double, reach, trip, see text
Araudorn-Kuld*: L: 1d10/1d10 (19/x2), Weight: 36 lbs., Type: S & B, double, reach, trip, see text

Kuldbarak - Dwarven Axe-Shield
Exotic 1-handed melee
Kuldbarak, Dwarven: M: 1d6, L: 1d8 (x2), Range: 20 ft., Weight: 25 lbs. Type: S, +2 shield AC, disarm, trip, see text
Araukuldbarak*: L: 1d10 (x2), Range: 30 ft., Weight: 50 lbs., Type: S, +3 shield AC, disarm, trip, see text

*Proficiency in the araudorn-kuld and the araukuldbarak is granted by the Kuldalaghin feat, not Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Dorn-Kuld - Dwarven Chain-Axe
The dwarven Dorn-Kuld ('Chain-Axe') is a rare heavy double weapon traditionally associated with the cavern-born. It consists of two hooked axe blades connected by a long chain, the wielder keeping the chain in a constant spin and lashes out with the axe blades to cut and trip opponents. By changing the grip on the chain as a free action in the beginning of each turn, the wielder can decide for each end of the weapon whether to keep the reach quality or to make attacks in adjacent spaces. The design of the dorn-kuld makes it especially effective for making trip attacks, providing the wielder with a +2 bonus to such combat maneuver checks. Each dorn-kuld is typically custom made for a caurakin individual and are therefore usually only found as masterwork weapons in medium or large size.

Araudorn-Kuld - Araucaurakin Great Chain-Axe
This is a massive special version of the dorn-kuld and it is wielded in the same fashion as the smaller, though each end of the long chain is crowned with two axe blades spreading out from a heavy mace-like head. While most warriors would find the weapon impossible to wield effectively, in the hands of an araucaurakin master of the Kuldrorn dance, the design and great weight instead provides a +3 bonus to combat maneuver checks made with the weapon. The auradorn-kuld is only found in large size and of masterwork quality.

Kuldbarak - Dwarven Axe-Shield
This unusually heavy shield is designed to be a deadly weapon as much as a protective shield. It has a shape similar to that of the head of the dwarven double waraxe, but the larger "butterfly wings" are closer together, forming a near circular disc broken by two narrow gaps on opposite sides. The edges of the shield are hardened and sharpened for slashing and cutting attacks, while the gaps are designed to trap an opponent's weapon and make disarming maneuvers. In addition, the shield has specially made clasps for quick release of the shield to allow it to be thrown like a large discus. The kuldbarak is treated as a masterwork heavy steel shield (+2 shield bonus, -1 check penalty, 15% spell failure) and can be enchanted as such, but it is also considered a masterwork weapon that can be enchanted separately (as shield spikes can). The kuldbarak can also be thrown just like a throwing shield, except an enchanted kuldbarak also adds the higher value of either its shield or weapon enhancement bonuses to the attack and damage rolls (along with the effects of other applicable enchantments). The kuldbarak cannot be fitted with shield spikes and usually only comes in medium or large size in masterwork quality.

Araukuldbarak - Araucaurakin Great Axe-Shield
This rare heavier richly adorned version of the large kuldbarak is a symbol of great honor in caurakin and dwarven society, the sign of an expert Kuldrorn war dancer. To such a master wielder, the araukuldbarak provides superior bonuses and a +2 bonus to all combat maneuver checks made with the weapon on top of the +2 bonus to disarm attempts (+4 to disarm attempts in total). In all other respects, it functions as the regular kuldbarak. It is only made in masterwork quality, and most often in mithral.

Would this be viable in a campaign where the caster classes are referred to the core races only?

All input/critique/rants/praise/advice/tips welcome!

upho
2014-02-28, 03:04 PM
Seriously, no input? :smallfrown: To much of a wall of text or...?

Shameless BUMP!!!