PDA

View Full Version : what is the strongest NPC class?

CyberThread
2014-02-27, 10:20 PM
Besides Adept, who is the strongest NPC class in terms of power?

Amphetryon
2014-02-27, 10:21 PM
Probably Magewright, from Eberron. If memory serves, some folks find it strong enough to adventure with 'regular' PC Classes.

eggynack
2014-02-27, 10:22 PM
The magewright seems decent, though I don't think the list is on adept levels, and I think that the expert is the only non-adept that's listed above tier 6, so probably that. Commoner might come out on top if you use chicken infested though, just because, y'know, chicken infested.

mabriss lethe
2014-02-27, 10:27 PM
Aside from Magewright, Expert would be the next best. They can cherry pick the best skills, including things like UMD, Autohypnosis, Iaijutsu focus, etc.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-27, 10:33 PM
I prefer Religious Adept.

In the tier system, Adept is a stronger tier than Magewright or Expert. And Religious Adept is stronger than normal Adept.

CyberThread
2014-02-27, 10:51 PM
where is relgious adept from?

Psyren
2014-02-27, 10:53 PM
DSP made a psionic NPC class - the Augur (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/augur), which can surprisingly get up to 6th-level powers.

DeltaEmil
2014-02-27, 11:00 PM
where is relgious adept from?The Religious Adept is just the Adept NPC class with the Eberron-specific campaign rule that they can select one domain and add the spells from the domain list to the Adept spell list (which still need to be prepared).

gorfnab
2014-02-27, 11:50 PM
Mlar (Polyhedron #159/ Dungeon #100 dual issue) can pull off Psionic Minor/Major Creation tricks.

Know(Nothing)
2014-02-28, 04:49 AM
I vaguely recall an argument that Aristocrat won at first level, simply because of the higher starting gold/equipment. And that's just in a vacuum. Add in a powerful family/allies/etc that would make sense accompanying an Aristocrat and you can see why it might outpace the rest for a few levels at least.

Eldariel
2014-02-28, 05:00 AM
I vaguely recall an argument that Aristocrat won at first level, simply because of the higher starting gold/equipment. And that's just in a vacuum. Add in a powerful family/allies/etc that would make sense accompanying an Aristocrat and you can see why it might outpace the rest for a few levels at least.

First level you can just buy a bunch of dogs and unleash the hounds. Money's pretty nice as long as animals remain relevant, and Aristocrat has money.

Devils_Advocate
2014-02-28, 05:44 AM
Yep, Aristocrat. "Aristocrats are the wealthy or politically influential people in the world."

TuggyNE
2014-02-28, 06:14 AM
I find this question rather puzzling, because there are so few NPC classes the scope is very tiny. There are only, what, 6 or 7? Maybe a few more? And half of them are painfully feeble at nearly all levels.