PDA

View Full Version : where do trolls fit in or come from in greyhawk?

CyberThread
2014-02-27, 11:36 PM
where do trolls fit in or come from in grewhawk ?

Vhaidara
2014-02-28, 12:12 AM
You see, when a mommy troll and a daddy troll really love each other...

Thrawn183
2014-02-28, 12:14 AM

Hey now, let's not forget to include pairings that result in half-trolls. Can't be speceist, mmm'kay.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-28, 12:15 AM

Hey now, let's not forget to include pairings that result in half-trolls. Can't be speceist, mmm'kay.

Or sexist. Magic is a thing, so the typical birds/bees setup is right out the window.

Vhaidara
2014-02-28, 12:20 AM

He asked about trolls, not half-trolls.

Or sexist. Magic is a thing, so the typical birds/bees setup is right out the window.

I never said mommy was a female and daddy was a male. Way to project your own sexism on me bro :smalltongue:

CyberThread
2014-02-28, 12:21 AM
so if a female troll, and a male human togeather , that makes a donkey?

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-28, 12:27 AM
I never said mommy was a female and daddy was a male. Way to project your own sexism on me bro :smalltongue:

Now we are talking on the same wavelength.:smallbiggrin:

To the actual point of the OP, my understanding is that the normal ecology and behavior fluff in the MM applies to Greyhawk.

Personally, I am a big fan of places like...was it Troll Hole?...in FR. That sounds like a fun place for a picnic.

Vhaidara
2014-02-28, 12:28 AM
Yeah, on topic, I always thought that greyhawk = what's written in core. Mostly because the PH deities are greyhawk.

Duke of Urrel
2014-02-28, 12:35 AM
The following passage is quoted from my Living Greyhawk Gazetteer (2000), page 11.

"The most vicious of these beings [the "huge, wicked races"] are the trolls, called trulent. Trolls are without fear and often band together with the eiger, as ogres are known; trolls can also be found as guardians in gnoll dens."

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer has a lot to say about politics, but trolls don't seem much interested in political power.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-28, 12:39 AM
The Greyhawk Gazetteer has a lot to say about politics, but trolls don't seem interested in political power.

Unless they can eat it. From what I recall, trolls live in a largely stomach-driven society. Since even the weakest of them can only die in relatively unlikely circumstances, they eat whatever they can get their hands on, and can always be employed as muscle by anyone that can afford to keep their plates full (and resist being eaten by them).

Not that they use plates.

Incorrect
2014-02-28, 01:41 AM
Although, maybe they do use plates.
Perhaps the size of their plates could be a sign of power. The more power a troll holds in the clan/group/family, the bigger his plate would be.
A bigger plate of cause means more to eat, when food/loot is shared.

The chieftain proudly wields his enormous plate as a tower shield (and maybe a 1H trident :smalltongue: )

I imagine trolls will be everywhere in most classical D&D settings. Large groups of trolls would have to split up or starve because of their huge appetite.

Flickerdart
2014-02-28, 12:46 PM
Don't forget the Emerald Legion and one of their ancestors: a pairing between a Troll and a War Troll to produce a Half War-Troll Troll.

shylocke
2014-02-28, 12:57 PM
Everything I've read about trolls doesn't explain where the came from. They are like giant/aberration hybrids. The don't have bones or many organs. They have a mouth, brain, eyes and stomach. And that's it.

Alent
2014-02-28, 01:09 PM
Everything I've read about trolls doesn't explain where the came from. They are like giant/aberration hybrids. The don't have bones or many organs. They have a mouth, brain, eyes and stomach. And that's it.

I kind of want to make a joke about the Claymore manga in relation to this comment. Anyone who's read it long enough will probably get the reasoning.

That aside, it seems like it would be an interesting homebrew to have Trolls descended from an intelligent, highly regenerative snake, which learned to take humanoid form by forcing itself to regenerate that way. Maybe a wizard and living spell ooze fusion was involved.

Blackhawk748
2014-02-28, 01:16 PM
The only setting ive seen Trolls really given much fluff was KoK, and if i remember right they were around with the Titans and are one of the old races. And yes a troll is a stomach with legs and teeth and thats why they are scary, because they are smarter than a Tendriculous which is almost the same except that its a plant that eats everything and isnt intelligent.

Honestly trolls are just cool

shylocke
2014-02-28, 01:29 PM
The only setting ive seen Trolls really given much fluff was KoK, and if i remember right they were around with the Titans and are one of the old races. And yes a troll is a stomach with legs and teeth and thats why they are scary, because they are smarter than a Tendriculous which is almost the same except that its a plant that eats everything and isnt intelligent.

Honestly trolls are just cool

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that they don't even have an anus. The digestive tract ends at the stomach.

Clistenes
2014-02-28, 01:42 PM
A legend claims that the god Vaprak sent his three half-fiend children to be reincarnated among his barbaric human followers, and that said children mated with many human women, producing the Troll and Ogre races.

Later, those three sons of Vaprak led their ogre and troll descendants against the followers of other gods, but they were soundly defeated. Vaprak got enraged at them and broke their souls into pieces, and each piece got reincarnated into an Ogre Mage.

Of course, other legends say it was the other way around, and that the Ogres existed before Vaprak's own birth. According to those legends a cunning ogress seduced Annam, the head of the Giant Pantheon, getting pregnant and giving birth to Vaprak, who became patron of Ogres and Trolls.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I think they breed through a mix of sexual reproduction and asexual budding.

shylocke
2014-02-28, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I think they breed through a mix of sexual reproduction and asexual budding.

Vomits a smaller troll when it eats enough.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 03:33 PM
Nah, more like cut of an arm and end up with two trolls. The live violent lives as a reproduction methods as well as a means to more food.