PDA

View Full Version : Brute, Low CHA; Dragon Fire Adept?

CyberThread
2014-02-28, 12:42 AM
So going with a brute of a dragonfire adept

DFA 5 // Troll 5

Obviously the CHA is going to suck, but decent enough melee or secondary melee, so am thinking on the invocations to come across. Am thinking at that level am going to have high con but low CHA, so am sort of in a toss up.

I get the choice of two invocations, and am thinking.... see the unseen seems to be a no brainer, but I think I have three options that am unsure of...

Draconic knowledge , would be a great way to counter my hit to INT, but at the same time, if we end up with a bard or some other skll monkey, they would overshadow me in this way anyways.

Beguiling Influence, another great way to counter my CHA hit, and make me a normal person, but again, party face.

MAgic Insight : Maybe...unsure.... make an argument for it, if you think so.

Endure Exposure...: If am a second line fighter I can see why I should have this, but if am planning on being a front line brute, is this still needed?

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 12:48 AM
Endure Exposure really shines once your breath effects start getting bigger.

I would see if your DM would let you take Spider Walk, Entropic Warding, or Dark One's Own Luck.

CyberThread
2014-02-28, 12:54 AM
do you think metabreath feats are going to be still important here, or should I focus on the power attack line of efforts like a normal melee character?

So far, we have a level 5 DFA, that is large size troll breathing fire :P

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 12:57 AM
Troll grants a sizeable con bonus doesn't it? That is a huge bonus to your breaths (yay higher DCs!). I would work with that. If you are gestalt all the way up, I would work to get the troll side into primeval for more stat shenanigans and get some nice breath boosting feats otherwise.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 12:57 AM
DFA is perfectly viable if you use your breath as a backup.

tyckspoon
2014-02-28, 12:58 AM
If your DM enforces identification rules, Magic Insight is wonderful (you can ID stuff on the spot with about 2 rounds notice, no costly component.. so much better than the actual spell.) If he just tells you what stuff is, well, at-will Detect Magic is still pretty nifty, but I don't know if I'd make it a priority.

Endure Exposure.. well, are you going to be the only melee? Does your DM have monsters go after the most obvious up-front target, or is there a higher rate of more intelligent foes that try for the duck around and gank the caster tactic? You probably want this sooner or later anyway, but the answers to those questions determine how much of a priority it is; if you have another melee buddy who might go in and mix it up before you or the enemies are likely to mix themselves into your lines, then the ability to breath at your party without fear of friendly fire is really good (and not just damage breath! Endure Exposure makes your targets immune to 'any effects' of your breaths.. so you can Entangling Breath or Slow Breath or whatever at them and still selectively hit just enemies.)

Thrawn183
2014-02-28, 01:15 AM
Pump Con, take Endurance and Steadfast Determination and never die again.

CyberThread
2014-02-28, 01:29 AM
So what am walking minus feats/stats

Troll/DFA

Large Size, scent , 2 claws 1d4, bite 1d4 +4 NA
+2 dex +4 con +8 str -4 int -2 wis -4 cha

Good Fort/Good Will

+2 NA ( 6 NA now) 3d6 Fire and lighting, slow breath
Dragontouched, dragonkin

CyberThread
2014-02-28, 12:30 PM
Totally forgot do trolls count as monstrous hum get martial weapon

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 12:42 PM
Totally forgot do trolls count as monstrous hum get martial weapon

Nope, they're Giants.

HOWEVER:

Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as any natural weapons.
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Giants not described as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Giants are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.

CyberThread
2014-02-28, 01:12 PM
Ooo neat do giants have access to anything unique besides primordial from eberron?

That prim... so tasty but worried if would be considered to power full.

Urpriest
2014-02-28, 04:39 PM
Ooo neat do giants have access to anything unique besides primordial from eberron?

That prim... so tasty but worried if would be considered to power full.

Return to Nature?

It's funny, but Giants are actually way better at getting smaller/smarter than they are at getting bigger/dumber.

Although, Giants are one of the two types that qualify for Lycanthrope...

CyberThread
2014-02-28, 06:50 PM
Nope, they're Giants.

HOWEVER: *stuff you quoted*

So they get simple/martial + natural weapons. Sadly the bugger has no armor or shield listed. As war troll and other entries are different. An DFA gives no armor...

Guess I should happy that I have +6 NA lol

Thurbane
2014-02-28, 07:15 PM
I'm a big fan of Magic Insight - the ability to Identify items quickly, and with no expensive material component, is really great at lower levels.

CyberThread
2014-03-01, 01:14 PM
So.... power surge. ...entangling breath...hmm. tempest breath would be a waste.

Endure exposure and see the unseen. hmm.... maybe quicken breath...

Hmm.... leaves me with two feats and gear