PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Simple Weapon usable by a Pseudodragon

Yogibear41
2014-02-28, 08:26 AM
What kind of ranged weapon (simple preferably but a martial one would be okay too) could be used by a pseudodragon? A tiny light crossbow just seems laughable as the little guy is taking out these tooth-pick sized bolts to reload, not to mention I doubt his claws would be so great at holding, shooting, and reloading it anyway.

Would only need to use it at low levels (1st to 5th or so) so it doesn't need to be game breaking or anything, just needs to have something to do on its initiative.

Nihilarian
2014-02-28, 09:20 AM
Any weapon small enough for a pseudodragon to wield would barely do any damage, even assuming the pseudodragon can wield a weapon in the first place (since it doesn't have hands). It's not proficient in any weapons, so assuming the DM lets you give him a ranged weapon he would eat a -4 nonproficiency penalty (and still do next to no damage). He's better off hiding, or sneaking close enough to poison.

At higher levels I believe there's a weapon property in Lords of Madness that will let him wield a weapon in his mouth, but it might be limited to melee.

Marnath
2014-02-28, 09:24 AM
Any weapon small enough for a pseudodragon to wield would barely do any damage, even assuming the pseudodragon can wield a weapon in the first place (since it doesn't have hands). It's not proficient in any weapons, so assuming the DM lets you give him a ranged weapon he would eat a -4 nonproficiency penalty (and still do next to no damage). He's better off hiding, or sneaking close enough to poison.

At higher levels I believe there's a weapon property in Lords of Madness that will let him wield a weapon in his mouth, but it might be limited to melee.

Actually, they totally have hands. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG210.jpg) With thumbs and everything. But yeah, having hands doesn't help when all you can hold is something the diameter of a cigar. :smalltongue:

Brookshw
2014-02-28, 10:03 AM
Actually, they totally have hands. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG210.jpg) With thumbs and everything. But yeah, having hands doesn't help when all you can hold is something the diameter of a cigar. :smalltongue:

But a cigar smoking psuedodragon mob boss sounds pretty awesome :smallbiggrin:

Back to the op, mouth darts?

Yogibear41
2014-02-28, 10:18 AM
Mouth Darts could work

Just found these: from 3.0 Races of Faerun

Acid Dart, Small, 1d4+1d6 acid damage, x2 20 ft range inc. 20 gp each, ouch!

I'm assuming a tiny version would do 1d3+1d6 acid, or maybe the acid would be reduced to 1d4, should the price be reduced as well? I know small and medium weapons cost the same, but that large ones cost double, does that mean a tiny one should cost half?

HammeredWharf
2014-02-28, 10:25 AM
A sling, I suppose? You could call him David while you're at it.

Yogibear41
2014-02-28, 10:32 AM
While I am thinking about it, do smaller versions of alchemists fire and acid exist? or are they one size fits all? Do they count as simple weapons? or could someone without any proficiencys at all throw one without penalty, seems to be the latter from reading the PHB.

They require no proficiency :smallsmile:

Darrin
2014-02-28, 11:54 AM
Hmm. Maybe give him some Gloves of the Uldra Savant (3100 GP, MIC)? Ray of frost at will.

Blowgun + poison? Or how about the Sand Pipe (Secrets of Xen'drik). It's listed as exotic, but the -4 penalty doesn't really matter for an area attack. 1d6 fire damage, DC 14 Ref save for half.

Sprayer (A&EG) is another area-effect attack, load it up with alchemist's fire/alchemist's frost. 5' x 10' cloud, no save.

Marnath
2014-02-28, 12:01 PM
Hmm. Maybe give him some Gloves of the Uldra Savant (3100 GP, MIC)? Ray of frost at will.

Oh, make it into a torc instead so he can shoot the ray out of his mouth! He will have a breath weapon like a real dragon! He'll love you forever. :smallbiggrin: