PDA

View Full Version : Build Ideas?: Just a guy with a sword

PangolinPie
2014-02-28, 11:11 AM
So my group needs a good martial based character right now (D&D 3.5) but I really don't feel like doing all the crazy bells and whistles type stuff, just not in the mood this time around I guess.

I'm thinking just a simple yet really effective swordsman, probably with a two handed weapon. Whats a good solid build that would be able to keep up with other high powered characters (They're already at level 10 and this may go into epic levels later) without getting into casting or anything like that? Origin wise I'm thinking just a simple farm boy who one day picked up a sword to defend his people and never put it down again, going through endless hardships and struggles, learning from experience how to fight rather than any formal training.

Can brute force/feats/skills alone stay on an even playing field with everyone else?

Swaoeaeieu
2014-02-28, 11:15 AM
i recently fell in love with Tome of Battle.

Not actually hard at all to use and makes melee characters tons of fun.

Just go warblade 20 and you are good to go most times.

Red Fel
2014-02-28, 11:43 AM
First, the good news: As Swao mentions, ToB is Melee Done Right. Almost everything you ever wanted in melee, you can find in ToB. Want to be the flashy, cunning swordsman? Warblade. The strong, enduring, devoted meatshield? Crusader. The wise, well-studied, adaptable master of combat? Swordsage. And more. You can absolutely play a melee character, who is fun, has options, and performs remarkably well.

Now, the bad news: Melee can't have nice things. Most melee classes have very few options outside of combat. Now, some ToB classes give you decent skill points (Swordsage) or an Int synergy (Warblade), which can let you shore up some deficiencies through skills. But your biggest options are almost exclusively combat-based. By contrast, spellcasters will have options and versatility that dwarfs your own. At higher levels, they can summon angels, rewrite reality, spurn gravity and travel the planes; you can get really, really good at hitting things hard. You'll look outrageously awesome while doing it, but that's the extent.

Short version: ToB will let you play a powerful, functional, and entertaining melee, in almost any stripe or style you'd like. But there is no level playing field between casters and non-casters.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 12:11 PM
You concept sounds like a crusader or warblade. It's more crusadery is you want to play up the fortitude portion and go to town with stone dragon strikes (avoid the stances). The warblade is more if he learned skill from his experience rather than endured them. Again, stone dragons strikes + another styles stance.

Swordsage could work if you wanted to play up the wisdom based "farmboy" aspect. Again, stone dragon with another styles stance (I think isles of blades from shadow hand), but I would mix in some diamond mind and setting sun for great counters that will keep you alive.

Falcon X
2014-03-01, 01:08 AM
I'm with everyone else. Warblade or Crusader from Tome of Battle is your best shot at a fighter that can keep up with the other classes.
They're really not that complicated either and a blast to use.
They are also in that group of classes where they will be decent even with awful feat choices, and the feat are just icing on the cake.

However, if you insist on a Core class. Fighter and barbarian are your guys. Just read some handbooks:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1119336
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8753
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2502