PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Playing an optimized Wizard in a party of mundanes while keeping it fun for all

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-28, 11:39 AM
Okay. So here's the situation in my current 3.5 campaign (custom setting, all splats).

We've got myself, semi-new (five or so campaigns), playing a decently high-op dwarf (Aleithian, 3.0 race) Transmuter. We've got a sort-of-op'd human Bard (Dragonfire Inspiration being the main source of optimization) who's probably played and DM'd more than the rest of us have played combined. And then we've got a human Paladin, Kender Rogue, and human 2HF Ranger, none of whom would have any optimization at all were it not from input from the Bard and I, and only one of whom has played D&D before this campaign. To top it off, the DM is about or slightly more experienced than I am.

We're also a little stronger than normal - we've each got an extra feat because we screwed up (!) during character creation, and a couple of us (read: neither of the BSFs) rolled really well and so we ended up giving everyone some more ability points.

The party's currently at 4 across the board, should be hitting 5 soon.

Now, I got into this with two goals for my Wizard - one, to experiment with optimization and keep building my understanding of the game and mechanics, and two, to make the gameplay as fun for the others as possible, particularly the two totally new players.

How do I reconcile these two goals?

I started off by being a Transmuter instead of, say, a blaster of some sort. I'm going for a lot of buffs (Enlarge Person, Heroics, Haste next level) and area debuffs (Web and Glitterdust for example), rather than spells to directly deal damage myself. And it's paid off. The Paladin's been able to take full advantage of the buffs and debuffs and murder everything in sight, for now.

How do I continue this, though?

Is it possible to keep buffing the party all the way up through the levels so that the mundanes don't become obsolete? Or am I going to be forced to steal the show later on? I want to be able to keep the mundane characters relevant for the sake of their fun. I also would like to avoid intentionally breaking the game to the point that the DM is forced to send opponents at us that can only be dealt with by super-high-op wizardry.

Bonzai
2014-02-28, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. If he wanted to, the Bard could steal the whole show anyways(never underestimate the power of a bard in the hands of a seasoned player). Buffing is a great start. Between you and the bard, the rest of the party should be able to go to town. As the game progresses, I would start looking into ways to counter the DM. What I mean by that is figure out the curve balls that the DM can throw at the party, and figure out how to counter them. As a transmuter, polymorph will be your best friend, as there are a wealth of monsters that can be handy. I am sure the veteran player will be able to give you tons of advice on that. If you want to continue to be a great buffer, look into the warshaper prestige class. It is perfect for the buffing wizard.

That being said, fun is what you make of it. Don't forget character and roleplay. As the only wizard in the group, feel free to ham it up.

"Stand back mortals, and observe! Watch ye, and tremble before my display of Eldritch might! PRESTIGITATION. Behold! Thine shirt is nowest clean."

Gnaeus
2014-02-28, 12:04 PM
In Core.
3rd level spells: Haste at the beginning of every fight, followed by slow if there is trouble, will leave you an excellent support character.

4th level spells: Polymorph any muggle into something awesome. The paladin or ranger into a bruiser, the rogue into something with a ton of sneak attacks. You can break the game wide open with polymorph, but you don't have to. It gives a lot of room to make people awesome while controlling exactly how broken you get. Also, if illusion is not an opposition school, Greater invisibility is a great buff for your rogue. Solid Fog is a good control spell to let your team beat on one guy at a time.

5th level spells: Nothing that stands out. Extended Polymorph still probably your best buff. You can also summon Hound Archons for a combo summon and area defense buff. Wall of force or stone to channel enemies to your melees. Permanency for lots of low level buffs.

6th level spells: Bralani Eladrins are a great support summons. Blur at will for the melee. A little bit of healing. I like Heroism better than Greater heroism, because of the durations.

7th level spells: Limited wish can duplicate most buffs in the game. Waves of Exhaustion isn't a fight ender, but is a good no save debuff. Summoning angels is still a good support tactic.

8th level: mind blank is an awesome, if situational buff. So is protection from spells. Polymorph any Object is one of the most easily abused spells in the game, and probably the strongest non-personal buff spell, but just because you CAN break it easily doesn't mean you HAVE to.

9th level: You are rewriting reality.

Talk to your DM about the Polymorph spells. Get an idea of what he is comfortable with. Keep communication open as the game goes on as to whether he thinks you are abusing it.

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-28, 01:47 PM
Talk to your DM about the Polymorph spells. Get an idea of what he is comfortable with. Keep communication open as the game goes on as to whether he thinks you are abusing it.

Considering he is currently abusing the ever-loving crap out of Alter Self with his sixth-level Elven Generalist in the other campaign we're players in, I don't think there will be too much in the way of objections on that front.

Vhaidara
2014-02-28, 02:05 PM
Look up the God Wizard build. It is literally a wizard who focuses on sending out his superbuffed minions party members to do the work for him.

Also, kill the lender. On principle.

Mnemnosyne
2014-02-28, 02:07 PM
If you want to continue to be a great buffer, look into the warshaper prestige class. It is perfect for the buffing wizard.Uh, I think you must have class names mixed up, cause Warshaper is a melee prestige class that would be horrible for wizards.

Bonzai
2014-02-28, 02:21 PM
Uh, I think you must have class names mixed up, cause Warshaper is a melee prestige class that would be horrible for wizards.

Doh! Your right. War Weaver was the class I was thinking of, not War Shaper. It's in Heroes of Battle.

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-28, 03:13 PM
Look up the God Wizard build. It is literally a wizard who focuses on sending out his superbuffed minions party members to do the work for him.

Also, kill the lender. On principle.

I may or may not be using that build, actually. >_>

Although I'm now thinking about a way to weave (get it?) War Weaver into that somewhere.

Endarire
2014-03-01, 11:03 PM
I had a similar situation. I went Transmuter3/War Weaver3 before the campaign ended. Buffs are a main way to go to power up your companions without stealing the show, but you can steal the show if you want it so.

That and summons. And support. And snuggle up with Treantmonk (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0).