PDA

View Full Version : Lucid Dreaming; What is it good for?

Vaz
2014-02-28, 01:09 PM
#sings "Absolutely nothing!"

Now that I've got that out of the way, what use is it actually for. Yes, yes, saveless assassination shy of having several items of Energy resistance.

But what you do with Lucid Dreaming?

shylocke
2014-02-28, 01:13 PM
Allow bonus XP to be earned by party lucid dream adventures. Come to think of it, you could to a whole campaign in your characters dreams. There are even monsters for it.

Gemini476
2014-02-28, 01:43 PM
If your whole party has it (or one person has it and can drag the rest through), you could have entire mini-adventures on the Plane of Dreams that don't even use up your consumables.

That's a pretty great thing, actually: if you have scrolls of stuff, you can Scry freely or whatever while in the dream and then still have the scroll unused when you wake up.

Personally I'd try to track down that girl in the stasis container, but that's just because I'm a sucker for when D&D drops in some sci-fi elements.

shylocke
2014-02-28, 01:49 PM
If your whole party has it (or one person has it and can drag the rest through), you could have entire mini-adventures on the Plane of Dreams that don't even use up your consumables.

That's a pretty great thing, actually: if you have scrolls of stuff, you can Scry freely or whatever while in the dream and then still have the scroll unused when you wake up.

Personally I'd try to track down that girl in the stasis container, but that's just because I'm a sucker for when D&D drops in some sci-fi elements.

If you read into illithids, they are from the future and even have time/planar traveling spaceships

Clistenes
2014-02-28, 01:56 PM
The Manual of the Planes says that you can't earn xp battling dream monsters, unless you travel to the Dreamheart, which is very dangerous, because you find literal creatures from nightmares there, and you can die there.

A better use would be to enter other people's dreams to retrieve information.

Jack_Simth
2014-02-28, 03:07 PM
#sings "Absolutely nothing!"

Now that I've got that out of the way, what use is it actually for. Yes, yes, saveless assassination shy of having several items of Energy resistance.

But what you do with Lucid Dreaming?
Get a scroll of Wish, a scroll of Plane Shift, and a scroll of Greater Teleport.
Go to Sleep.
Do Lucid Dreaming.
Use the scroll of Plane Shift to get to your normal plane.
Use the scroll of Greater Teleport to get next to your body.
Use the scroll of Wish to create some cash.
Wake up.
Pick up the cash, realize that your scrolls are all still intact.

Zombulian
2014-02-28, 03:11 PM
Get a scroll of Wish, a scroll of Plane Shift, and a scroll of Greater Teleport.
Go to Sleep.
Do Lucid Dreaming.
Use the scroll of Plane Shift to get to your normal plane.
Use the scroll of Greater Teleport to get next to your body.
Use the scroll of Wish to create some cash.
Wake up.
Pick up the cash, realize that your scrolls are all still intact.

... MY MIIIND

JaronK
2014-02-28, 03:12 PM
Lucid Dream your way over to the big bad's dreams, and diplomancy him to your side.

JaronK

Gemini476
2014-02-28, 04:09 PM
... MY MIIIND

Take the feats Dreamtelling, Oneiroancy, and Improved Oneiromancy (all Heroes of Horror).

Do the whole Plane Shift thing to get to your body.

Cast Dream Walk on your sleeping body, bringing it into your dreamscape.

Don't ask me what happens when you wake up.

Yes, I stole this from the Dream of Metal. Why do you ask?

Skysaber
2014-02-28, 04:35 PM
Does it list anywhere if anyone has this as a class skill?

Svata
2014-02-28, 04:36 PM
Take the feats Dreamtelling, Oneiroancy, and Improved Oneiromancy (all Heroes of Horror).

Do the whole Plane Shift thing to get to your body.

Cast Dream Walk on your sleeping body, bringing it into your dreamscape.

Don't ask me what happens when you wake up.

Yes, I stole this from the Dream of Metal. Why do you ask?

Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed. (I know that's for time travel, but it still fits)

JaronK
2014-02-28, 04:37 PM
Does it list anywhere if anyone has this as a class skill?

Factotums, Experts, and Exemplars do, all due to having all classes skills.

JaronK

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-28, 06:43 PM
The Dream of Metal is worth a read, if any of you are looking for extremely TO use of dream magic and psionics. Very cool, if rather mindbending.

The main thing to note about Lucid Dreaming is its extremely open-ended nature, rooted in a combination of poor wording and failure to address seemingly obvious uses (like using magic to move people and things in and out of dreamscapes).

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-28, 09:14 PM
Factotums, Experts, and Exemplars do, all due to having all classes skills.

JaronK

And Savants in Dragon Magazine Compendium.

herrhauptmann
2014-02-28, 09:31 PM
The Dream of Metal is worth a read, if any of you are looking for extremely TO use of dream magic and psionics. Very cool, if rather mindbending.

Is it a post?
A book?
A build?
Author?

Irk
2014-02-28, 09:31 PM
By creating that flower that gives you a wish, you can use it to create transdimensinoal resetting wish traps.

SowZ
2014-02-28, 09:47 PM
I did a session like this, where a powerful psion pulled them all into his dreamscape. It was screwy, based on perception and confidence and belief and sometimes lack of knowledge was beneficial. But I didn't use the Lucid Dreaming skill.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-28, 09:54 PM
Is it a post?
A book?
A build?
Author?

Hmm. rockdeworld made a post of famous TO/PO builds...I think there was a link in there. Lemme see if I can dig it up. It's worth a read, even if I'm not sure if it all actually works as advertised (there is a ton of sketchy RAW that it draws on...determining if it works is way above my pay grade).

I'll post the link if I find it.

EDIT: And here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121334)we go.

Chronos
2014-02-28, 10:06 PM
Is it a post?
A book?
A build?
Author?
It's a post on another message board, based on two concepts: The first is that having a really weird dream is somehow a sufficiently evil act that it causes you to become a lich, and the second is that, having become a lich, it's a good idea to hide your phylactery someplace where you can't possibly escape if you ever need to regrow from it.

You might guess that I'm not a big fan of it.

herrhauptmann
2014-03-01, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing the brilliance of that thing.

Some of that however did remind of a short story "He died that day, in 30 years."
A man takes a potion which lasts for say an hour. At the end of that hour, he loses all his memories of the last hour.
No idea how he ended up where he'd been.
He gets all angsty about how some stranger was living his life during the period of effect, even though it was all him.

Clistenes
2014-03-01, 03:04 PM
Question: Any idea about how could be possible to preserve, harvest and move Dreamscapes? Like, an Archwizard or Archfiend keeping a collection of them in its Demiplane/Planar Layer?

Ruethgar
2014-03-01, 04:07 PM
Create a building in your dreamscape that includes spells traps as part of the architecture. Congrats you just won the game at level 1.

Of course Irk has a more viable option as some people think that the benign clause applies to the examples given(RAW it doesn't RAI it definitely does). I am AFB atm, but the wish flower can be found in the same dragon magazine as the spell sovereign and the plant companion option for druids if that helps the search. Also, you can create plant creatures of whatever you like, or a greenwood item which is still a living plant(a greenwood resetting spell trap of wish).