PDA

View Full Version : A Single Feat

RolandDeschain
2014-02-28, 01:41 PM
This is an entirely opinion based question so any/all replies are more than welcome.

If you had to build a character concept around ONE FEAT, what would that feat be?

Feel free to include which class/classes you would use, but the key point is the feat from which the character concept springs.

Is it from a role-playing stand point, a power-gaming stand point, or both...

Juntao112
2014-02-28, 01:42 PM
Power: Arcane Thesis
Humor: Poison Healer

Vhaidara
2014-02-28, 01:43 PM
Knock back can be fun

Earth Sense (and chain) as well as Snowcasting (and chain.

OldTrees1
2014-02-28, 01:45 PM
Leadership (The RP aspect)

Add a cha based minionmancer class like Dread Necromancer. Since Dread Necromancers control minions typically rejected by "civilized" society, this Dread Necromancer is out to create a new nation. An egalitarian sanctuary for all creatures, not just the racist "civilized" races.

(actually tried this, however the campaign ended before the nation had to face an invading army)

BrokenChord
2014-02-28, 01:49 PM
For RP reasons, Metamagic School Focus.

For powergaming reasons, probably Draconic Wildshape.

Segev
2014-02-28, 01:51 PM
Corpsecrafter. Just plain obsessed with sculpting the perfect minion.

Spellfire Wielder practically IS a feat designed to build a character around.

Mother Cyst gives a chain of spells that is really cool if you focus on it.

Finally, Arcane Thesis: Launch Bolt is the crux of the chaingun wizard.

dascarletm
2014-02-28, 01:55 PM
Combat focus.

Ever since I read that feat I thought it would be cool to build a character around it. It's a really interesting concept.

I also Like the idea of a character that uses corpsecrafter as well, Segev.

Constantly perfecting his/her creations.

Killer Angel
2014-02-28, 01:55 PM
A feat that defines a concept?
Power Attack speaks by itself... :smallwink:

Slipperychicken
2014-02-28, 01:56 PM
Arcane School Spirit (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/arcane-school-spirit-general&sa=X&ei=e9oQU46bNcS80QHFzoHoCA&ved=0CAUQygIwAA&usg=AFQjCNFxD0J8s5hfOD3VjwQpXJHuvcaCqA)

Bewildering Koan (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/bewildering-koan-general)

Eaglejarl
2014-02-28, 01:59 PM
Two Weapon Fighting -- buckle some swashes. (And yes, totally for RP, not power.)

Socksy
2014-02-28, 02:00 PM
Psionic Body. I have a character with it about five times. Toughness stacks, so we assumed it would stack too.

Vhaidara
2014-02-28, 02:00 PM
Combat focus.

Ever since I read that feat I thought it would be cool to build a character around it. It's a really interesting concept.

I also Like the idea of a character that uses corpsecrafter as well, Segev.

Constantly perfecting his/her creations.

I've done Combat Focus. It's fun.

Also, adding in any class synergy feat (swift hunter, ascetic knight, etc). Luck feats for fun.

Vinyl Scratch
2014-02-28, 02:01 PM
Wedded to History?

I believe it was a feat in dragon magazine that gave you immortality.

Other than that, maybe the aberrant feats in Lords of Madness.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-02-28, 02:04 PM
One feat? Not a feat chain? Because I'm very much attached to Fey Heritage, but the entire point of that feats is to lead into its successive feats.

Bloodgruve
2014-02-28, 02:13 PM
Knowledge Devotion. 'Monster Hunter' type character, studies weaknesses creatures so they're more easily defeated.

Blood~

Slipperychicken
2014-02-28, 02:14 PM
Lich-Loved

Zombulian
2014-02-28, 02:23 PM
Destruction Retribution
Spellfire Channeler
Improved Trip
Improved Grapple
Imperious Command

Edit: @Socksy: Wait why? Why would you ever do that? Just take other psionic feats :smalleek: They give the same amount of health...

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 02:27 PM
Alternative Source Spell. Eilservs School. Eyes to the Sky. Hand Crossbow Focus. Intimidating Strike. Battle Mage Tactics. Eviscerator. Dragon Prophesier. Gruesome Finish.

Sian
2014-02-28, 02:29 PM
quite a few of the weapon tactic feats are protentially interesting to build a character around, the previous Iron Chef round (Zenth Cenobite) i built a character which was built around 'Confound the Big Folk' from Races of the Wild :)

Ravens_cry
2014-02-28, 02:33 PM
Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu
Rebuke Hippos!:smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2014-02-28, 02:35 PM
Craven. It's mechanically powerful (one of the best feats you can take, as a Rogue), and has an obvious tie-in for character development (somebody who's a coward at heart, forced into a heroic role).

Flickerdart
2014-02-28, 02:38 PM
Gift of the Spider Queen, for sure.

RolandDeschain
2014-02-28, 02:39 PM
These are fantastic. I now have a bunch of feats to go research. I love it.

BTW - whoever asked about the feat/feat chain thing, just tell us the first feat in the chain, and we'll figure it out from there

dascarletm
2014-02-28, 02:54 PM
Lich-Loved

Reading this:
:smallsmile:
...:smallconfused:...:smallannoyed:...:smalleek:.. .:smallfrown:

Nightraiderx
2014-02-28, 03:27 PM
Combat Reflexes...

Eldonauran
2014-02-28, 03:32 PM
Psycarnum Infusion... :smallamused:

I have a love of mixing Incarnum, Psionics and Tome of Battle together. Incarnum plays well with Psionics. Tome of Battle plays well wtih Psionics. Incarnum + Tome of Battle pleases me.

subject42
2014-02-28, 03:37 PM
Bewildering Koan (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/bewildering-koan-general)

Are there any methods for getting extra swift actions in Pathfinder? I love the idea of a 17th level Gnome Monk paralyzing every horse in a cavalry charge.

Malimar
2014-02-28, 03:40 PM
I harbor a desire to eventually build a character based around Robilar's Gambit (and Karmic Strike and Riposte; preferably all three, but in a pinch, just Robilar's Gambit).

RolandDeschain
2014-02-28, 03:41 PM
I'm reading up on these feats as they are posted:

Lich Loved - wow....just....wow

I like Bewildering Koan and Gruesome Finish!

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 03:46 PM
I like Bewildering Koan and Gruesome Finish!

I've been trying to put together a build that involves Dread Witch, Avenging Executioner, Gruesome Finish, Telling Blow, and Daunting Presence/Death Master/Eviscerator, but I just can't quite get it to come together. Still, the thought of spitting out elevating fear effects in a radius whenever you perform a sudden strike, kill an opponent, kill an opponent with attacks left over, or crit is pretty cool, especially since critting with Telling Blow will trigger your 'on sudden strike' effects. Dread Witch would be to make sure people can't be immune to your fear effects.

Joe the Rat
2014-02-28, 03:48 PM
Throw Anything.

It's a pity the Master Thrower PrC explicitly states the weapon tricks can only be done with thrown weapons for which you have Weapon Focus. WF(Dagger), WF(scythe)...

eggynack
2014-02-28, 05:14 PM
You didn't mention that you can only take the feat once, so... font of inspiration, font of inspiration, font of inspiration, font of inspiration, etc. Natural spell can also obviously drive an entire build, due to its inherent awesomeness.

kardar233
2014-02-28, 05:42 PM
Blood-Spiked Charger is one that I'm currently working on.

I've played entire builds that were solely focused on Persistent Spell.

Initiate of Mystra has a whole bunch of fun things you can do with it.

Stormguard Warrior is also excellent.

Particle_Man
2014-02-28, 05:49 PM
Vow of Poverty. :smallbiggrin:

But I have done one with Ancestral Relic, where the holy sword gains intelligence from the crusader putting her own personality into the weapon. The DM is counting down to when I make the sword's ego high enough to be a threat. :smallcool:

Harlot
2014-02-28, 06:13 PM
TWF. Because it looks cool. An entire book series is based on this feat. :smallwink:

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-28, 07:07 PM
Hmm.

1.) Dragon Cohort: I take my dragon everywhere.

2.) EXTRA FAMILIAR: Rinse. Repeat. Also goes well with that feat that extends the range of Share Spell to one mile.

3.) Imbue Staff: Have witty conversations with one of your pieces of equipment.

4.) Kung-fu Genius/Carmendine Monk: Int-synergy monks are one of my favorite archetypes, although I have almost no idea why.

BrokenChord
2014-02-28, 07:17 PM
Oh, I thought of another one. Divine Metamagic. Too cheesy when used for Persist on Clerics, just right on Divine Bard/Sacred Exorcist to metamagic spells into having no non-gp/xp requirements and being invisible so that the spells appear to be acts of god.

All the win.

Dimers
2014-02-28, 07:35 PM
Item Familiar. EDIT: or maybe Hidden Talent, which is surprisingly good at adding both mechanical benefits and flavor to a build.

RolandDeschain
2014-02-28, 07:55 PM
Item Familiar. EDIT: or maybe Hidden Talent, which is surprisingly good at adding both mechanical benefits and flavor to a build.

You know, if you choose wisely, the Hidden Talent feat on a Kalashtar monk can be pretty cool...

Erik Vale
2014-02-28, 08:04 PM
Wedded To History [Wanderer]

Multitasking

Leadership

Multiweapon Fighting

Invader
2014-02-28, 08:31 PM
Natural spell

BrokenChord
2014-02-28, 08:52 PM
Natural spell

Pretty sure that's a class feature :smalltongue:

Captnq
2014-02-28, 09:05 PM
I'm going to go with Dragon Familiar.
I just figured out how to turn one into a demilich and keep it as a familiar.

RolandDeschain
2014-02-28, 09:10 PM
Pretty sure that's a class feature :smalltongue:

nope it's a feat

eggynack
2014-02-28, 09:13 PM
nope it's a feat
Looks a lot like a class feature to me. "Natural spell: A druid at 6th level loses the feat that they would ordinarily get at that level, and instead gets to cast spells in a wild shape."

paperarmor
2014-02-28, 09:26 PM
Evasive Reflexes is just way too much fun on a swift hunter type build add in Robilar's Gambit and never suffer the indignity of a full attack again (and get free out of turn movement).

Fax Celestis
2014-02-28, 09:30 PM
Evasive Reflexes is just way too much fun on a swift hunter type build add in Robilar's Gambit and never suffer the indignity of a full attack again (and get free out of turn movement).

Also couple with Sidestep Charge for added lols.

Anxe
2014-02-28, 09:37 PM
I always wanted to do something cool with Kiai Shout.

Calimehter
2014-02-28, 09:54 PM
My next non-caster build is probably going to be built around Daring Outlaw.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-28, 10:05 PM
swift hunter

Speaking of which, Swift Hunter is a feat.:smallwink:

Though personally, my first feat-supported multiclass would most likely end up being Tashalatora.:smallcool:

Flickerdart
2014-02-28, 11:11 PM
TWF. Because it looks cool. An entire book series is based on this feat. :smallwink:
I'm afraid you have it precisely backwards.

OldTrees1
2014-02-28, 11:24 PM
I'm afraid you have it precisely backwards.

And the feat fails at it.

mabriss lethe
2014-02-28, 11:30 PM
Bind Vestige

The Trickster
2014-03-01, 12:34 AM
Most of the ones I like have already been stated, but I have always been intrigued by the Boomerang Daze feat.

Santra
2014-03-01, 12:46 AM
Ancestral Weapon
Its never taken by my group and I love the flavor of it.

Tommy2255
2014-03-01, 12:55 AM
I kind of like Spell Thematics for flavor. It could mean anything from skulls to fireworks to every spell taking the form of a penis, depending on the overall tone of your campaign.

Firework Magic missiles, firework fireballs, lightning fireworks, firework themed Pyrotechnics, what's not to love? Great for a flashy blaster wizard.

Alternatively, penis missiles, penis explosions, and wards composed of penis runes, for gay wizards, female wizards with penis envy, or Middleschooler wizards.

It can fit any campaign, and is perfect as a feat to build a character around. At least RP wise. Part of the appeal is that it's dripping with flavor, while not really forcing you into specific mechanical decisions.

Zaq
2014-03-01, 03:20 AM
I played a character long ago who was basically based around Fell Frighten. She had other tricks too, but she was a Dread Witch, and Fell Frighten was her meat and potatoes.

Mounted Fury can be pretty defining if you mix it with Bear Warrior.

Battle Jump has always called to me.

Silentone98
2014-03-01, 03:32 AM
IF the DM allowed it...
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Opportunity_Counterspell_(3.5e_Feat)

Maybe this one if he didn't allow the above(but I wouldn't make him aware of this one before hand):
http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/reactive-counterspell--2396/

and possibly this variant:
http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Better_Counterspelling_(3.5e_Variant_Rule)

basically... if I could get away with one of these, preferably the first, I would... only because I know how much it pissed off my first DM I played under. He hated my warlocks regular dispel as far as to outright deny it any chance of working in situations it 100% should have.
Oh... and playing at his table to annoy him with this is a requirement, otherwise im not interested. lol.

Firechanter
2014-03-01, 04:55 AM
Plain old Shock Trooper too simple for y'all?

Stretching the rules of this thread a bit, but:
Martial Stance - Thicket of Blades

-> become an actual Defender!
(ofc it's better if you're a Crusader)

ryu
2014-03-01, 05:15 AM
Craft Contingent Spell

This is for both RP and power. The all powerful super paranoid wizard who at the tail end of his career has INT rivaling or surpassing most gods? He has contingencies? How many? All of them. Even that one. Especially that one. We're talking someone who raised an army of countless millions of various high CR magic creatures only to shrink them to the size of atoms and wear them in his cloths. Why'd he do that? Because the amount of contingencies he could put on himself alone seemed small to the point of being paltry.

Windstorm
2014-03-01, 05:36 AM
has to be Storm Magic from stormwrack for me.

its not mechanically powerful, but the flavor screams awesome. does require some collaboration from your party though, since most parties are averse to constantly fighting in a magical thunderstorm!