PDA

View Full Version : Domains

Grayson01
2014-02-28, 01:52 PM
Okay out of these Domains if you had to pick 2 of these 4 (melee focused) domains which would you pick and why: Law, good, protection, and exorcism?

Edit: the build is melee focused not the domains.

Red Fel
2014-02-28, 03:04 PM
If you're just looking at the basic domain spells and powers, they're none of them particularly overwhelming to me. Law and Good are nice, if only because their domain powers mean a +1 CL to their particular spells, and the first law of casters is "Thou Shalt Maximize CL." Apart from that, the two lists are fairly similar.

However, if you're looking at Devotions, I'd pick Law and/or Good. (Say, didn't I just say that?) Law Devotion makes you a very dangerous combatant - you can gain an allocatable bonus to attack rolls or AC. That's pretty useful. Good Devotion is more of the "team player" ability - you and your allies gain a scaling DR/Evil, plus your weapons become Good-aligned for DR purposes.

With regard to Exorcism, it's a fairly specialized school; great if you face spirits and Outsiders and summons, not terribly impressive if you don't. Protection Domain is cute, and Antimagic Field is useful if you're going non-magical melee, but on the whole it's (as the name would suggest) more defensive than offensive. Protection Devotion is a scaling boost to allies' AC, which by the time it's impressive is no longer terribly relevant.

Short version: Law and/or Good, as a Domain or as a Devotion. Given that you're more likely to encounter Evil enemies than Chaotic ones, I'd go with Good, unless you want that allocatable bonus from Law Devotion.

Chronos
2014-02-28, 03:30 PM
The alignment domains are all rather underwhelming, unless you're planning on optimizing Holy Word, Dictum, or the like. Their devotions, however, can be pretty nice.

I'd go with Protection for a domain, and Law Devotion.