PDA

View Full Version : Distance and Darkness

ace rooster
2014-02-28, 02:17 PM
I was trying to build a decent evoker recently and it got me looking closer at tactics for use in wizard duels. My first observation was that close range spells like orb spells and most rays are really short range, as in a level 21 wizard can't fire an orb the length of a tennis court. Medium range is better, but still not far. Any mook with a heavy crossbow can outrange you by taking a -4 penalty, and you will struggle to fire the distance of a football pitch. There are a couple of long range conjurations, most illusions, and the fun evocations but the options of a wizard at any real range seem very limited, and not save or suck (evocation exception with flashburst, 120ft burst 2d8 round blindness, at level 3!).

The second thing I noticed, relates to most non visual detection methods. They almost all seem to have limited ranges. true seeing is limited to 120ft, as is darkvision, arcane sight, and most detect spells (not animals, so finding wildshaped druids seems easy!). The exception seems to be see invisability, which only negates any advantage from being invisable. Finding creatures with darkvision (no torch) in the dark doesn't seem trivial.

These seem like they should be basic tools in fighting any spellcaster, (except an evoker, who has spells like ball of fire, which is a remote light source). Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.