PDA

View Full Version : Spell Shock

roko10
2014-02-28, 02:44 PM
And no, this isn't about spells that deal Electirc damage.

So I was wondering, what will happen if a wizard in a mid-OP world got hold of the tier system, deduces that mundanes are useless (a common mistake by newbies) and decides to create a isolated society for tier 2 and higher classes?

Red Fel
2014-02-28, 03:08 PM

So I was wondering, what will happen if a wizard in a mid-OP world got hold of the tier system, deduces that mundanes are useless (a common mistake by newbies) and decides to create a isolated society for tier 2 and higher classes?

They would succeed.

It's pretty much a question of "if I were a minor deity, and I collected other minor deities and created our own secluded society of minor deities, what the heck would anyone do to stop us?"

I don't think I understand the question.

Juntao112
2014-02-28, 03:09 PM

You'd get a society which could turn into a post scarcity utopia... at least, if human greed doesn't cause it to collapse...

roko10
2014-02-28, 03:13 PM
Unfortunately, the wizard in charge has an ego larger than the Material Plane.

ace rooster
2014-02-28, 03:15 PM

He/She would rapidly get bored of getting his own bat guano, clay, and other spell components for spells. Then there are the exotic items required for spell research (No ruled for, but not ruled out). He would realise soon that magic items take ages to make, because they need a masterwork base item and fabricate has no provision for creating masterworks, but most importantly an unseen servant will never make a good daquari.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 03:16 PM
Nah, you see, they take every child and put them through lawful good brainwashing school. Get them while they still have 1 raw human HD and use the conversion rules. A bunch of clerics can ensure that no non-lawful, non-good people get released into adulthood.

Spot alignment checks can be preformed on a weekly or monthly basis after that. There is no punishment or shame in failing, you just attend remedial classes to bump your alignment back into line.

It won't stop someone from hiding their alignment, but the average joe on the street will be firmly lawful good.

Unseen CRAFTER is what you need for a good drink. Craft (alcholic drink) + divine insight means that you get a very nice one.

SPoilaaja
2014-02-28, 03:19 PM
He/She would rapidly get bored of getting his own bat guano, clay, and other spell components for spells. Then there are the exotic items required for spell research (No ruled for, but not ruled out). He would realise soon that magic items take ages to make, because they need a masterwork base item and fabricate has no provision for creating masterworks, but most importantly an unseen servant will never make a good daquari.

Nothing is stopping them from still making trade with other societies or taking up ranks in survival/crafts.

Person_Man
2014-02-28, 03:27 PM
Rich nutjobs actually do this with surprising frequency IRL. It works for as long as the head nutjob can keep dictatorial and/or familial and/or cult-like control, and everyone under his domain is willing to put up with it. But once they other nutjobs start to disagree, it breaks down in short order. This would probably happen even more quickly in a caster only mageocracy or theocracy of some kind, where each citizen is capable of bending reality to their will.

ace rooster
2014-02-28, 03:29 PM
Even if you can magic up the greatest daquari in history (can appear in bardic knowledge) you may still be fond of the pretty bar staff, and games of scrabble against that level 12 expert carpenter. Why would they want to isolate themselves?

With regard to the systematic brainwashing by clerics, I would rule it too powerful. I regard divine magic like having a company credit card. Hiring a private jet for an important client is fine, hiring one for your use is not.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 03:35 PM
That is the best part of the brainwashing. It requires ZERO magic. It is a completely mundane use of the diplomacy rules spelled out in the book of exalted deeds. You can't remove the effect magically because there is no magic to remove.

Zetapup
2014-02-28, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure what the motivation for creating a society specifically only for tier 2s and up would be. I mean, sure, it'd be easy to do, but is there any point in doing it? I suppose manual labor could be replaced by constructs/undead/etc, but why go the effort when you can already obtain a commoner workforce for next to no cost? I guess I'm just not sure why someone would want to create such a society in the first place.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 08:17 PM
Yeah, it is simpler and easier to create a society with an upperclass of tier 1-2 classes than to rebuild all the lower class economic structures to function without much labor. It can be done, but it is simply harder.

Captnq
2014-02-28, 08:26 PM
He puts a massive sigil under the island and when the population reaches a certain threshold, leaves the island, activates the sigil, and devours the souls of all those fools who came to the island. Swollen with unholy power he proceeds to destroy all of time and space while tears of bubbling pitch stream down his face.

ace rooster
2014-02-28, 08:42 PM
He puts a massive sigil under the island and when the population reaches a certain threshold, leaves the island, activates the sigil, and devours the souls of all those fools who came to the island. Swollen with unholy power he proceeds to destroy all of time and space while tears of bubbling pitch stream down his face.

well, they live in a D&D universe so par for the course. :smalltongue:

I tend to rely on bigger fish logic. If you start doing things that will piss off dieties (and I mean really piss off) then bad things will happen. If Vecna does not get Hir due souls, you will be in a wizards duel with the Deity of wizards. With a decent DM, rocks may as well fall, but have fun.

Sir Chuckles
2014-02-28, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry to be the one to bring it in...
But isn't that dangerously close to a variant of the Tippyverse?