PDA

View Full Version : How do I cast Consumptive Field as a Wizard?

Bakkan
2014-02-28, 04:04 PM
I'm working on a 20th-level wizard at high-mid to high levels of practical optimization, and one of the things I wanted to do was to take advantage of some consumptive field shenanigans. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell it is only on the cleric list (and not on any domains), so I don't see an easy way to cast it myself.

I want to be able to use my own caster level in order to get the maximum benefit from the caster level boost. It seems that this requires either being able to cast it myself or casting it from a staff. I can take levels in a class with access to the cleric spell list, but this won't allow me to use my Wizard caster level (which will be much higher), kind of defeating he purpose. Also, between 10 levels of Incantatrix and at least 4 levels of Dweomerkeeper (accessed through Southern Magician), I don't have a lot of free levels in the build. I don't know of any published staff that has consumptive field as one of its spells, so I'd have to make my own, which runs into questions about buying or making custom magic items.

A custom staff including consumptive field as its only spell (assuming such is even possible), and using 1 charge per casting (because I want to be using this most days, often twice per day), will have a base price of 12,000 gp (375 x 4 x 8). If I wished to craft it, I would need to either purchase 12 scrolls of consumptive field for a cost of 8064 gp, or purchase the services of a 7th-level cleric to cast the spell for me on each of 12 days, which would cost 3360 gp. I am therefore looking at a cost of between 9360 gp and 14,064 gp to obtain this staff, for a total cost per casting of between 187.2 gp and 281.28 gp.

A custom staff including greater consumptive field as its only spell and using 1 charge per casting will have a base price of 34,175 gp (375 x 7 x 13). To craft it, I would need 35 scrolls of greater consumptive field (79,625 gp), or the services of a 13th-level cleric to cast the spell on each of 35 days (31,850 gp. Total cost between 34,175 gp and 96,687.5 gp to obtain this staff, for a total cost per casting of between 683.5 gp and 1993.75 gp.

The money required to craft custom staffs is a minor concern, as I am restricting myself to WBL before crafting. However, access to custom-made staffs, or large quantities of scrolls, or a willing caster, are highly campaign-dependent, and thus I am a little unsatisfied with this solution.

I would greatly prefer to be able to cast the greater version of the spell. I considered some sort of early entry into Ur-Priest, but as far as I can tell, I would need to somehow manage to get Wizard 1/Ur-Priest 1/Mystic Theurge 4/Incantatrix 10/Dweomerkeeper 4 (almost impossible with two skill requiring 8 ranks each for Ur-Priest), and send two of the Dweomerkeeper levels to the Ur-Priest in order to be able to cast the 7th-level greater consumptive field and still cast Wizard 9ths. However, this still doesn't solve the problem of needing to use my Ur-Priest caster level for the spell rather than my Wizard level.

TL;DR: What is the cheapest way (in terms of levels, feats, gp, etc.) to cast consumptive field or its greater version as a Wizard (i.e. using my Wizard caster level)? So far my best idea is a custom staff.

Kraken
2014-02-28, 04:21 PM
Arcane disciple (luck domain) grants you the ability to cast miracle, but only once a day. Grab a vest of the archmagi (or two), and use its pearl of power ability ("The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast.") to get yourself extra miracles, and thus extra castings. Said miracles can be used for any cleric spell of 8th level or lower, and any spell at all of 7th level or lower, so that's more than sufficient for getting consumptive field.

If you'll be persisting anything, I also recommend arcane disciple (destiny domain), for persisting choose destiny, which allows you to roll 2d20 and take the better on attack rolls, skill checks, and saves. It also grants the warp destiny spell, which allows you to reroll a failed save with an insight bonus equal to your caster level (max of 20, if I recall correctly).

For your additional persisting pleasure, consider the competition domain, which in addition to granting divine power, also grants greater visage of the deity, which, if your DM lets you use it as a non-cleric, is great for some persisted +int, and thus higher save DCs (possibly spells per day if you can swing it). Somewhere on this forum someone had put together a list of int sources that could keep you at 40 int reliably, but I'm unable to find it at the moment.

And for the niche suggestion in case you have feats to burn, the balance domain gets you dismissal as a 4th level spell. If you're ever stuck on a dead magic plane or something, invoke magic plus dismissal will get you home. It also grants word of balance, which is the neutral version of holy word that affects only LG, LE, CE, and CG creatures.

LibraryOgre
2014-02-28, 04:46 PM
Spell research?

Helluin
2014-02-28, 05:50 PM
If Eberron stuff is allowed, maybe try Recaster? You are going to lose a few caster levels though

Edit: wait, I just noticed that you are considering Dweomerkeeper, in that case, can you use supernatural spell to waive the material and XP component of Wish?

Thurbane
2014-02-28, 07:10 PM
Wyrm Wizard PrC (Dragon Magic p.55) allows you to add spells from other class lists (including Cleric) to your spellbook.

Telok
2014-02-28, 07:16 PM
Limited Wish.

Done. Next question.

Bakkan
2014-02-28, 07:40 PM
Arcane disciple (luck domain) grants you the ability to cast miracle, but only once a day. Grab a vest of the archmagi (or two), and use its pearl of power ability ("The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast.") to get yourself extra miracles, and thus extra castings. Said miracles can be used for any cleric spell of 8th level or lower, and any spell at all of 7th level or lower, so that's more than sufficient for getting consumptive field.

If you'll be persisting anything, I also recommend arcane disciple (destiny domain), for persisting choose destiny, which allows you to roll 2d20 and take the better on attack rolls, skill checks, and saves. It also grants the warp destiny spell, which allows you to reroll a failed save with an insight bonus equal to your caster level (max of 20, if I recall correctly).

For your additional persisting pleasure, consider the competition domain, which in addition to granting divine power, also grants greater visage of the deity, which, if your DM lets you use it as a non-cleric, is great for some persisted +int, and thus higher save DCs (possibly spells per day if you can swing it). Somewhere on this forum someone had put together a list of int sources that could keep you at 40 int reliably, but I'm unable to find it at the moment.

And for the niche suggestion in case you have feats to burn, the balance domain gets you dismissal as a 4th level spell. If you're ever stuck on a dead magic plane or something, invoke magic plus dismissal will get you home. It also grants word of balance, which is the neutral version of holy word that affects only LG, LE, CE, and CG creatures.

Thanks very much for all this advice! Arcane Disciple for Miracle looks like my cheapest access, requiring only one feat and no XP cost. Thanks for the other advice on persistable spells as well.

Spell research?

I like this idea in general, but I'm trying to stick as close to printed stuff as possible so as to not rely on particular campaign styles and worlds. I'll add a note to my document that I should ask about this before doing anything else though, since that would be the cleanest option if it's available.

If Eberron stuff is allowed, maybe try Recaster? You are going to lose a few caster levels though

Edit: wait, I just noticed that you are considering Dweomerkeeper, in that case, can you use supernatural spell to waive the material and XP component of Wish?

I can't use Dweomerkeeper for this because I can only use its Supernatural Spell ability once per day, and I may want to cast consumptive field more than once per day. Also, I'm not sure that Incantatrix's metamagic effect will work on (SU)ed spells. Can anyone answer this question one way or the other?

Edit: Re: Recaster, see below with Wyrm Wizard. Prestige classes I can sneak into before level 5 are golden, but otherwise I can probably afford at most 1 level in one.

Wyrm Wizard PrC (Dragon Magic p.55) allows you to add spells from other class lists (including Cleric) to your spellbook.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can fit it into the build since I need two levels of it to get the first extra spell.

Limited Wish.

Done. Next question.

This is likely what I would use if I were playing up from a lower level, but it has the disadvantages of only being able to get me the basic consumptive field and not the greater, and it has an XP cost. It's another way to get it done, though, so thanks.

Endarire
2014-02-28, 11:10 PM
Does the feat Extra Spell (Complete Arcane) count?

Telok
2014-03-01, 01:28 AM
Oh, you want Greater Consumptive Field. Well...

Energy Transformation Field, a Portable Hole, a scroll of Greater Consumptive Field, and one pimped out UMD check.

You have the ETF linked to the GCF in the PH, then you open the PH and walk in and cast spells or SLAs untill a GCF is cast on you by the ETF.

Please check and be sure that you are comfortable with this level of broken before using it.