PDA

View Full Version : Demilich Familiars?

Captnq
2014-02-28, 04:22 PM
Okay…

DRAGON FAMILIAR [GENERAL]
- DRACONOMICON (3.5)
When you are able to acquire a new familiar, you may select a wyrmling dragon as a familiar.
Prerequisites: Cha 13, Speak Language (Draconic), arcane spellcaster level 7th, ability to acquire a new familiar, compatible alignment.
Benefit: When acquiring a new familiar, you can choose a wyrmling dragon.

So I get a Dragon Familiar. I make it a Red Wyrmling because, hey, I like to watch things burn. Then I spend 5,000 gp and get a potion of Dracolich Brew (I can make it at CL 11th and Brew Potion). Then I make me a Dracolich phylactery 25,000 gp +2,000 gp gem +2,000 xp.

I take my wyrmling and tell them, hey, guess what? I made you a potion to make you more powerful! Then I have him drink it. He goes, “YAY!” And falls over dead. I made sure to have another dead dragon nearby for him to eat just incase he gets hungry.

Bringing back the familiar from the dead reestablishes the link between master and familiar; however, the reincarnate spell is an exception. The spell brings back the familiar as an independent being and the resulting creature is no longer a familiar.
No matter how the familiar returns from the dead, the process does not erase the experience loss the master suffers. The familiar does not suffer any level or Constitution loss. If the master's experience loss has reduced the master's level, however, the familiar's abilities are reduced accordingly.

Next thing I know, I have a Red Dragon Wyrmling Dracolich familiar.

Now, How do I get my familiar up to 21st level wizard sorcerer or cleric and give him craft wondrous item so he can turn himself into a demilich? Also, I need to get him 120,000 gp and 4,800 xp to craft each gemstone 8 times.

Thoughts on how to do it?

EDIT:
1. Every time my Dracolich/demilich familiar dies I'll have to make the saving throw or lose XP, right?
2. The 8 soul gems for my demilich familiar totaling 960,000 gp will count against my WBL, won't it?

OldTrees1
2014-02-28, 04:34 PM
More importantly, how do you get the ability to have/pick a 21st level wizard as a familiar?

Captnq
2014-02-28, 04:37 PM
More importantly, how do you get the ability to have/pick a 21st level wizard as a familiar?

Don't need it.

But for the Dracolich to turn into a demilich, the dracolich must do it himself. So, while I can make a Dracolich familiar, the familiar must finish the process without my aid.

So, to do this, the dracolich must be a 21st level caster, have craft wondrous items, have 960,000 gp and 38,400 xp for crafting. Oh, and 960 days at 8 hours a day to pull it off.

On the plus side, the dracolich familiar doesn't actually need to be able to cast spells, he just needs to be a 21st level caster.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-02-28, 04:41 PM
You did not bring him back from the dead, you turned him undead. The link is NOT restored and he is no longer your familiar.

Captnq
2014-02-28, 04:51 PM
You did not bring him back from the dead, you turned him undead. The link is NOT restored and he is no longer your familiar.

Bringing back the familiar from the dead reestablishes the link between master and familiar ... No matter how the familiar returns from the dead.

Undead are not alive. Undead are not dead. Undead are UN-dead.

I am required to bring the familiar back from the dead. I am not required to return the familiar to life.

There are examples of undead familiars if you would like:
STITCHED FLESH FAMILIAR FEAT, for example.

And the multiple constructs available. None of them are "alive".

Captnq
2014-02-28, 04:56 PM
Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar. Thus, a druid/sorcerer can't use her animal companion as a familiar.

So, while only an unmodified animal may become a familiar (and thus extrapolated to Dragon Familiar, vis a vi, the dragon cannot be modified or have any templates), can anyone find anything stating that a familiar must remain unmodified?

This is the only sticking point I can come up with.

Gazzien
2014-02-28, 05:00 PM
You can qualify for CL requirements with SLA's, can't you? So you just need to pump a SLA really, really fast.

Captnq
2014-02-28, 05:01 PM
Wyrmlings are treated as dragons, and dragons are treated as sorcerers.

Therefore, if the wyrmling takes Practiced Spellcaster 6 times, the Wyrmling will be a 24st level sorcerer? (assuming my HD is high enough to support it getting that high) Then it must take craft wondrous item.

So how do I give a familiar 7 feats?

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 05:06 PM
Ok, well there is practical spellcaster for +4, it can go up to YOUR HD, as the dragon counts as having your HD. Then lets stack on Prayer Beads for another +4. Ioun stone, +1. Ring of Arcane Might +1, it's untyped, so you may be able to equip 2 of them...

That brings us to..... +10, still a long way to go.

Captnq
2014-02-28, 05:13 PM
Ok, well there is practical spellcaster for +4, it can go up to YOUR HD, as the dragon counts as having your HD. Then lets stack on Prayer Beads for another +4. Ioun stone, +1. Ring of Arcane Might +1, it's untyped, so you may be able to equip 2 of them...

That brings us to..... +10, still a long way to go.

Hrm...

"Hit Dice
For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher. "

But, you do have a point. YOUR HD, and even if I go with a Red wyrmling that's 7HD. So, 7HD, Prayer Beads +4, Ioun Stone +1, Ring of arcane might +1. And it needs to be permanent, or at least last 8 hours. We still only got 13.

I got very good players. I need to make sure when I spring a wizard with a Demilich familiar on them, that the math holds out.

So I need to give the familiar 3 feats and find +8 to caster level.

OldTrees1
2014-02-28, 05:15 PM
Um caster level is irrelevant. Demilich requires level 21 not cl 21.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-28, 05:17 PM
If HE is level 21, his familiar counts as level 21.

Captnq
2014-02-28, 05:22 PM
The requirement is that he be a sorcerer and 21st level caster. Not a 21st level sorcerer. The players wanna bend rules, so can I. And I can use that Dragon magazine feat to get two of these. Have them sitting one to a shoulder.

This encounter will never happen twice, but it should be impressive.

OldTrees1
2014-02-28, 05:23 PM
If HE is level 21, his familiar counts as level 21.

Well specifically it requires Wizard or Sorcerer level 21 not merely counting as 21 HD.

However apparently there is a houserule in effect here.
Also apparently the OP is the DM.

Captnq
2014-02-28, 05:25 PM
Well specifically it requires Wizard or Sorcerer level 21 not merely counting as 21 HD.

However apparently there is a houserule in effect here.

Erg... No. I read it wrong.

Sorcerer, Wizard, or cleric of 21st level. Caster level is irrelevant.

EDIT:
Dagnabit! Gonna be stuck with a dracolich familiar. No way to give a dracolich wyrmling 21 sorcerer levels. Not without using Serpent Kingdom cheese. I'll twist rules, but won't stoop to rituals.

Captnq
2014-02-28, 06:15 PM
Wait wait wait...

Okay If I get a 21st level whatever, and use the fusion psionic power on them to fuse them with my dracolich familiar.

Problem, it only works on living creatures.

Anyway I can turn my lich alive long enough to fuse with the sorcerer for 8 hours and make the soul gems?

Gemini476
2014-02-28, 06:26 PM
Wait wait wait...

Okay If I get a 21st level whatever, and use the fusion psionic power on them to fuse them with my dracolich familiar.

Anyway I can turn my lich alive long enough to fuse with the sorcerer for 8 hours and make the soul gems?

Polymorph Any Object? Or just Polymorph, for that matter.

OldTrees1
2014-02-28, 07:32 PM
Wait wait wait...

Tippy would know. However I am sure I remember there being a spell that turned you living for a bit (similar to the spell that turns constructs into humanoids for a bit)

Captnq
2014-02-28, 08:18 PM
After reading it, polymorph should be good enough.

Now the problem is... the WBL to have a Demilich Familiar is 1,972,000 gp.

Remember, you use retail cost, and you have to pay for the 52k for the original phylactery, plus 240k for each additional soul gem, and I need 8. Still, it's a CR 37 challenge. I think he can afford it. I don't think I'll be having two, however.

Thanks for the help.